Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
11,001 results
All reviews fun pub bedroom bungalow a la carte restaurants buffet restaurant fish the main hotel pool bar juice bar great holiday second home chicken tex mex beautiful beach entertainment staff pizza fries paella
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 July 2021

We have just returned from our holiday at the sol Palmeras and it’s been amazing. From arrival we was made to feel very welcome and our suite was stunning, we met the general manger at the welcome cocktail party on the Friday and what a true gentleman and was told by many of the staff he was a great person to work with, you saw him helping in the dining room and all over the hotel, he made our visit extra special and hoping we have made a friend.
The food was always tasty and was always something to eat. The beach was amazing and the beach party’s are a must.
The bar staff are great and always ready with your drinks when you are ready for another.
Please be respectful if you are going to this hotel it was a shame to see so many people with no manners, these people work so hard to welcome you to their country, even with COVID and other issue, they were always happy and smiling so they don’t need to be dealing some bad customer.
If you are heading to Cuba anytime soon please take some extras for the staff who sometimes find it difficult to access the basic needs.
Lastly a big thank you to you all we hope to see you again in September and really can’t wait.

Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank W9396PUteresab
Tomeu Alcina, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2021

Dear W9396PUteresab,
Thank you very much for choosing us for your vacation and for the comments published on Trip Advisor, they help and motivate us in our daily work.
Thanks for these opinions.
We look forward to seeing you in September
You won one friend, I won two.

Reviewed 16 July 2021 via mobile

Good food and amazing ocean but very bad service and outdated rooms and bad rooms cleaning. I am now in the hotel since 11 July with my family (room 4031 and 4036- superior and junior suit in main building) and till now I didn’t get service I have paid for (superior and junior suit must include according the description on the melia.com: Lobster dinner (1 per stay, on request) for stays of at least 7 days,
Minibar service with daily restocking of soft drinks, beers and water
Courtesy attentions on arrival with a bottle of rum and a letter from the General Manager as a welcome gift
Bathrobe in the room). Moreover I and guide from Anex asked for this service several times - but no any effect.
Previously I had a very good experience with Sol garden istra and sol aurora in croatia. But now I am very sorry to choose sol hotel. I think next time I choose another hotel chain.

Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Tomeu Alcina, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2021

Dear elena23012301,
Thank you very much for choosing us and we are very sorry for the misunderstanding on our part. We apologize.
Everything is correct and according to your taste, we hope and wish you enjoy the rest of your stay.
Receive best regards.

Reviewed 14 July 2021 via mobile

Have not long returned from this hotel after visiting for 2 weeks from 24th June.

Staff
The staff at this hotel are amazing!!! I would return to this hotel just to be able to see them again. Our favourite was Angel in the buffet of the evenings. We stopped going to the A la cartes and instead went to the buffet just so that we could see Angel. He would always save us a seat and have a nice cold drink ready for us, and this was always topped up. We became great friends with him, he had so many interesting stories about Cuba and was such a funny friendly guy. If you go to the buffet restaurant in the evening make sure you try and find Angel, he is amazing!
We also really enjoyed the service from Raime in the buffet of the morning and lunchtime. Again, he was super friendly, his service was always 100%, ensuring we had topped up drinks without a wait. He would always ask what we’d been up to and made an effort to build a relationship with us during the time we were there.
Another special shout-out to both Nivia and Alberto in the buffet who were equally very good!!

Main hotel
We stayed in the main hotel, wifi was available in the lobby area and some of the loungers by the pool. It was strong enough for us to be able to call family and friends and we had 140 hours each during our 2 week stay, so was more than enough. Lobby was very clean and modern, reception looked like it was covered 24/7 and there is a basic map on the wall of the hotel although I would have preferred to have been given more information on check in as I’m sure there’s plenty of stuff we didn’t see and do around the hotel as we didn’t know where it was or when it was open. No info on how to book a la cartes, where was open for food and times etc. So this had to all be worked out yourself

Breakfast - not many English options at all, you could get omelettes and fried eggs made to order, then there was toast, fruit, pancakes and croissants and then a selection of meats, veg and cheeses. We mostly had the pancakes, but would have preferred some English variety
Lunch and dinner - both of these served exactly the same foods which meant whatever you had for lunch that day, you would find at dinner. Regardless of that though, the food was always well cooked, served hot and actually very flavourful. Chefs were serving but you could ask for as much or little as you want.
A la cartes - enjoyed really good food and service in the Chinese so definitely recommend that one. Latin was nice however very very small portions, we were still very hungry afterwards. Italian had a great menu but the service was awful, left waiting for 50 minutes in between starter and a pizza for main which made us want to leave and go down to the buffet instead and drinks were never topped up and wrong drinks given. We didn’t visit the Mexican as everyone said it wasn’t great and we didn’t try the international. To book the a la cartes, there was a lady stood at the entrance of the buffet in the morning who would book you in, and there was sometimes slots left at lunch time.
There was a snack bar at the beach and also a snack bar by the pool which served ice cream and fruit.
All bars had a good variety of drinks and you could ask for premium brands to be used with no problems. They do a ‘lemonade’ which is like a lemon slush when it goes cold, we had soooooo many of those they were such a nice drink and even tasted nice with alcohol!! The orange one next to it isn’t great though

Pool area
Lots of sun beds, clean pool with a nice temperature. The pool bar always had super friendly staff on. Could get wifi from some sun beds. No one ever reserved sun beds whilst we were there.

Beach
Amazing beach!! They had lots of sun beds and umberellas. It was never an issue to get a spot, but if you prefer to be nearer to the front like we did for the sea breeze, then we found that getting down at 9am was the best time as this is when it started to fill up. Lots of animation activities on the beach, a bar and also a snack bar open for lunch. There was free water sports on the beach and if you want nicer beach photos, then go a bit further down either side of the hotel where the hotels are not being used and therefore the beaches are empty and give amazing photos.

Room
We booked a standard room but was given a superior room which was great. We was on the 4th floor looking out to the pool and even had a partial sea view. Our maid Livia did a fantastic job every day. Pack your own hairdryer as the one in the room is bad.

Entertainment
Always had live music on of an evening, and often shows either by the pool, inside the hotel or outside at the stage. The acrobatics show was good however this was repeated during our stay, so entertainment didn’t have a lot of variety.

Other info
There are sooooo many mosquitos here. I forgot to pack mosquito spray and antihistamines and we got bitten so bad!!! My boyfriend never gets bitten wherever we’ve been before but here he did so pack some stuff regardless. We went for a walk on the beach one evening, noticed there was a lot of mosquitos and so came back and after 10 mins of being outside I had 53 bites!! Couldn’t find mosquito spray or antihistamines anywhere locally so make sure you pack enough of these!!
There was a hurricane whilst we were at the hotel. We’d only accidentally came across it online, the hotel never told anyone. They did deal with it great however by having enough staff stay over at the hotel and boarded up all windows and put sandbags by the doors, so we felt completely safe.
There was a Covid outbreak with the Russians, hotel didn’t deal with this too great either but I think this is a partial fault of the government rather than the hotel. When you arrive in Cuba, you have a Covid test at the airport and then arrive at your hotel where you stay for 24 hours before being allowed to leave your hotel incase your result is positive. In this time though, you are still able to mix without masks with the rest of the hotel guests and therefore potentially pass on Covid, which did happen. A better system for this could be introduced to make it safer.
There are lots of cars that come outside the hotel and the owners are happy for you to take photos. We organised through our tui rep a drive in one and he drove us around varadero in a 1950s car which is a must do!!!

Lastly, if you are visiting this hotel and are able to, please take extra stuff if you are able to for the wonderful staff at this hotel. Read about the embargo before you come so that you understand the crisis Cuba is in, and bring any old clothes, medicines and toiletries as the Cubans are unable to get hold of all that stuff. We left clothes and our part-used toiletries for staff and they were so grateful!! I wish we knew this before coming so we could have packed some extra clothes, or extra cheap shampoos etc. That we can get so easily in the U.K.! There is a local mall, but if you forget anything from the U.K., they don’t sell much in the mall like toiletries, or even any sweets or chocolate!

I definitely recommend this hotel!!

Room tip: Pack mosquito spray and if you can pack medication, toiletries and clothes for the Cubans who really need it!
Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank jadet1310
Tomeu Alcina, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2021

Dear Jadet1310,
Thank you very much for choosing us for your vacation, and we are glad to hear that you had an excellent stay with us.
We appreciate your comments published in TRip Advisor, they help us in our daily work, and indicate where we have areas of opportunity to improve our service.
Thank you for these opinions, especially for Angel, Ramie, Nivis, Alberto and Livia, I will congratulate you all personally.
We will also work on improving the information for the customer, the food portions in the Latino restaurant and improving the Italian service.
Thanks for your recomendation.

Reviewed 22 May 2021

Stayed in this hotel from 05.05 - 15.05 in a superior room. Very friendly hotel with beautiful territory, it's really clean and safe in spite of this covid period. The main restaurant was amazing, seafood or meats prepared right in front of you every day, a lot of season fruits, fresh juices and a lot more. A very nice woman stands at the ice-cream point near the pool. And in general, all the staff are very friendly and helpful. Special thanks for Russian speaking customer service staff (Anna, Horhe Luis, Hulia, I'm really sorry if I made mistakes in your names) who can help with any guest questions and also are just nice people to talk with. The animation was not very active, I guess because of our current pandemic situation but I really appreciate beach activities. The only problem is wifi, because it has some not very friendly restrictions. So wifi is available in public places and in some rooms for three hours a day. In my room I was able to connect only from the balcony. This wasn't a business trip for me so it was enough, also hotel is trying to resolve these restrictions, but as far as I know wifi is a global problem in Cuba. I Hope, will visit this hotel again in the nearest future.

Room tip: Superior rooms with pool view were quieter in the evenings than superior rooms with garden (theatre/disco) view
Date of stay: May 2021
1  Thank kandinskinat
Tomeu Alcina, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2021

Dear kandinskinat,
Thank you very much for choosing us for your vacations and for your comments published on Trip Advisor, they help and motivate us in our daily work.
Thank you for these opinions and on your part I will congratulate the people you name.

Reviewed 27 April 2021

We are from Germany and stayed in Sol Palmeras from 2.04-13.04 and it was one of the best vacations EVER. Me and my friend celebrated our 30th birthdays there and even in pandemic conditions, the hotel and its employees, especially client managers Dayana and Osiris, made it the best birthdays/vacations in our lives. Thank you so much, muchisimas gracias und vielen Dank!!

The hotel itself is definitely worth every cent, and even though it might need some renovation here and there, it is extremely clean, cozy and yet modern/timeless. We have even received superior rooms as a Birthday compliment, so the view and conditions were superior as well. ¡Gracias, Maria Ofelia!

Despite the pandemic, the hotel is filled with things to do - gym, sauna (the hours are shortened due to pandemic), tennis, massages, stage concerts, circus performances, DJs, catamarans and much more, but since we also wanted to explore Cuba, we did not have time to enjoy completely everything. Therefore, we would suggest to book at least 14 days to actually see Cuba and relax at Sol Palmeras.

The hotel fully stands by its name and is covered with beautiful palm trees, the beach is huge and due to pandemic it is always empty, the water is crystal clear and warm. While many locals, who stayed in hotels for a weekend enjoyed pools, we swam in the pools only once in 10 days. We preferred the sea. Weather at the beginning, however, was not very welcoming - it was extremely windy, so that it was sometimes hard to sleep, and almost impossible to stay at the beach after sunset, but after the 3rd day it started to get better and sunnier.

We were worried that we won't have anything to do, while waiting for our corona test result in quarantine upon arrival in Cuba, but since the hotel has a huge territory, there is always something to explore. For instance, take a cart to the other end of the bungalow village - there is a massage patio with whirlpools, outdoor beds, sundecks and a bar. It is easy to miss, but is blissful to be completely alone there and meditate. In general, this hotel is a perfect place to take that one quintessential Cuba vacation photo for Instagram.

Dayana and Osiris, the client managers, helped us to organise very cool events for each of our birthdays for very reasonable extra costs. For instance, I received a private dinner at the beach terrace with my friends, while I organised a private disco club at the beach for my friend. They also organised a convertible ride for us to make some outstanding pictures. Without them it would not be the same - they are indeed professionals, who really care about the guest satisfaction. Even more, I forgot one bag on the plane when disembarking, and one of the TUI agents Roberto took it and brought it for me in the hotel, so I saved money and time on taxi. The managers also spontaneously organised lunch boxes for us to go on tours.

The only thing, which urgently needs improvement is Internet services. 2 hours ticketing system is not working very smooth and the internet is only available from a balcony from the room. However, there was some connection on the beach, which is good on the other hand.

While due to pandemic, there are currently only 3 tours offered in Varadero hotels, I can certainly advise to do all of them. The jeep safari ride gives you an unique opportunity to see the real Cuba, while a catamaran boat trip takes you to paradise place - Cayo Blanco. Unfortunately, we haven't had time to do the rum distillery tour. The only thing which needs to be mentioned concerning the tours, please take enough pesos with you, since in Cuba you are able to support the suffering tourism industry by giving some tips to the employees, and in many cases some things are not even possible to arrange without some small extra cash. The only critique point concerning the tours is that, during the catamaran tour (booked with TUI) we docked to the delphinarium, even though it is prohibited by TUI Germany to use dolphins for profit. Since I have never touched a dolphin, I participated as well, however later the guests were offered (for extra cash) to have fun with stunt dolphins, namely holding onto them, standing on their noses and other ridiculous stuff just to take a photo… It was not very pleasant to watch. Otherwise, the tours totally correspond to German quality of TUI - you get what you pay for and sometimes even more.

Concerning the pandemic, as mentioned, there are of course some restrictions in the hotel, but I can definitely say that I felt safer there as in Germany. The guests and employees constantly wear a mask and disinfect everything. I haven't even seen our managers without masks. The rooms are being thoroughly cleaned every day and the concept of hygiene planning is even stricter than in Germany. The restaurant reservations have to be met on time as well sauna appointments. The hotel is also taking care that people are not gathering in groups, so the tables in between are blocked, and in case somebody is seen without a mask inside the lobby or common areas, there are serious warnings for penalty. So, we felt surprisingly safe as Europeans in Cuba.

All in all, I want to encourage people to visit Cuba and Sol Palmeras as soon as possible! Especially now, due to pandemic, you will be treated like a god, and you will almost all the time enjoy exclusive experience for a normal price. Many people, including myself, are scared to travel in a pandemic, but I cannot stress it enough - if I take care of others, they will take care of me. While this does not always work in Europe due to our democratic and individualistic mentality, thanks to Cuba's current regime, people there are indeed taking care of each other. The penalties for not wearing a mask are extremely high for Cuba, so it works for them.

In case I return to Cuba for a perfect vacation, Sol Palmeras would be my Nr.1 choice.

Room tip: Superior Rooms have best view and are renovated. Always ask for garten view.
Date of stay: April 2021
6  Thank EdgarsN4
Tomeu Alcina, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2021

Dear EdgarsN4,
Thank you very much for choosing us for your vacation and we are very pleased to know that you had an excellent stay with us.
We appreciate your comments posted on Trip Advisor, they help and motivate us in our daily work.
Thank you for these opinions, especially for Osiris, Dayana, and Maria Ofelia, whom I will personally congratulate.