Hotel Club Kawama
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
Club Karey(Varadero)
1,969 results
All reviewsbring bug spraygo with an open mindlots of hot watercommunist countryham cheese sandwichthe double decker busmagic showhot saucelobsterdance lessonskeep in mindgreat vacationrepeatersfernandobingocalle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

Worth every single penny I earn , the food , our rooms , the entertainment is always amazing ! Kiki's is just a little walk away and has the best pizza be I have ever tasted ! The owner of the resort in is always out and about with the people and the staff are all so very be friendly , they keep there beach very clean , my daughter comes with me every time we go , and she is going back in June 2018 for her honeymoon !

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisaannmarieday
Reviewed 9 February 2018

I was there 4 years ago.he place was a little better Back then. It still has the same great front desk reception..LOL! I did Want to try it again. The resort before was like camping and i didn't mind that. This time it was bad! 4 days No hot water! I could go on but i went to the Sunwing rep and got transfered to another hotel as a lot of other people did.I don't know what was biting me in bed but i still have the marks.The sorry part just does not cut it. They knew what was going on. If you do go i hope they have cleaned things up a lot!! I love the Cuban charm but this place takes the charm off!!

Room Tip: Looked a so many could not tell you but were told if you want a non smoking room. DONT SMOKE!!l
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
7  Thank Russell35
Reviewed 6 February 2018 via mobile

I have been to many countries and have stayed in 5 star hotels, 5 dollar a night hostels and everything in between. Let me break it down for you:

Our flight arrived at 3am after travelling all night and when we finally got to club Kawama at around 5am we were told that our room wasn't ready and we were to come back at 8am to get a room. We were exhausted and unhappy but wasted some time wandering around. Upon coming back at 8am, the staff had changed and the woman had no clue what we were talking about and we were told we wouldn't be able to check in until atleast 12pm. We weren't given pool towels or any kind of understanding or sympathy. 7 hours after arriving we were finally given a room.

Food:
Food was absolutely awful the first day which made us really worried about what we were gonna do for the rest our stay. We went to a local restaurant for dinner that night instead which was decent. We gave the buffet a second chance the next day and it was quite a bit better and we ate there most of our meals the remainder of our trip. Unfortunately there is no variation in the food and it's pretty much the exact same things every meal. A la carte restaurants were ok but limited menu.

Bar:
Generous amounts of alcohol are given but they are unable to make about half of the drinks they advertise on their menu.

Staff:
Staff were extremely rude to us the first day. Stood at the bar for over 3 minutes while the bartender was talking to another staff member. Did not acknowledge me and had to interrupt him to finally get a drink. This happened a few too many times. Front desk staff were quite rude and indifferent the whole stay. That being said, the staff became nicer and nicer as our week went on. The staff definitely treat their returning customers much better than new people.

Rooms:
I was expecting the worst but our room was quite clean. Everything was very old and worn down but I was expecting it. AC worked amazing. No hot water the first day but was fine the remainder of the week. Room was cleaned everyday. We were given 2 bottles of water the first 2 days but never received more after that. The maid accidently broke my boyfriend's bottle of cologne and actually came up to us at the pool to apologize which I found extremely sweet and humble as she could have just hid it. It wasn't a big deal and we felt bad that she felt so bad.

Beach:
Absolutely beautiful. We didn't have the best weather but that's nobodies fault.

Pools:
Decent. The pool by our room had a lot of debree in it but the main pool was cleaned regularly. Water was too cold to swim though.

Location:
Good location. Walkable to Varadero (10-15 mins)

Overall:
This is not a resort. It is a hostel with a free buffet. To be honest, I've stayed at hostels that were around 20 dollars a night that were much nicer than this. If you are looking for a luxury resort, please spend a bit extra and stay somewhere else. If you don't care and just want a nice beach, be my guest but you can probably stay somewhere cheaper for a similar value. We had a good time but I would not go back.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank zoegab
Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

Went to this hotel with my daughter as it was part of the all inclusive with Sunwing. Very run down, food was terrible, nothing exciting going on, found it boring compared to other resorts. Beds were awful and pillow is non existent. Beach area littered with garbage and just unappealing overall. Will not return to this resort and would not recommend it.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
9  Thank Nikki O
Reviewed 26 January 2018

My and I were at Kawama for a week with our 2 kids and their friends, late twenties. I paid for upgraded rooms with balconies which we got, used and enjoyed. The balcony in my suite faced onto the lagoon I think in Building One, an old, solid stone building from which the hotel has created small but well- appointed rooms. We had some small issues which were quickly dealt with by front desk personnel. The 'kids' didn't enjoy the food much but my wife and I had no trouble finding dishes to please us. In any case, one should go into the village and patronize some of the local restaurants, which can be very good. Carry on Kawama... you are in a great location (beach) and you tried to keep us amused. Some of the entertainment on offer in the evening was excellent. Thanks.

Stayed: December 2017