Ocean Varadero El Patriarca
HotelsClick
US$222
HotelsClick
3,967 results
All reviewsprivilege sectionpiano barprivilege poolmike's coffeea la carte restaurantspizzaprivilege guestsprivilege roombeach restaurantbeach towelsrain showergourmet restaurantmain buffetfishprivate poolrecommend this resortmain pool
Reviewed 21 March 2015

My wife and I experienced a very relaxed holiday at this resort; the staff were very friendly, well versed in their duties; most spoke good English; several spoke French as well. The clientele are for the most part Canadians and there were some folks from the UK. The resort is clean, well maintained, and not so large as to need internal transportation, although it is there if required. We checked into a room in the Privilege accommodations that did not meet our expectations - north facing and so shaded throughout the day, and a couple in the next suite indulged in unpleasant, loud bickering. We asked for a change of rooms and that happened the next day, going into an upgrade with no additional cost. The Privilege beach is located adjacent to the main area. It was small but clean and met our needs. Regardless of where you are located there is an easily negotiated drop from the sunning area to the beach proper leading to the warm, clear, sandy bottomed ocean. The resort's food was plentiful but mediocre at best, with little variety in the vegetables and the protein portions over cooked. Talking with others, this is apparently common in the resorts in the area. Restaurant food in the town of Veradero was very good and not expensive. A couple of things to note. Money exchange at the resort is available for hard currency but it is a few cents more per peso than the exchange at the airport - I recommend using the latter on arrival. Evening entertainment was from two sources - a show in the theater or main pool every night which had value. We preferred and really enjoyed the piano bar. A local band called Veradero Blues plays there four nights a week from 9 to 11 PM. They start with easy listening popular music in Spanish and English,but by 1015 they switch to dancing music. Tania the bartender leads the pack in dancing on the tables and making sure there are no empty glasses. She is great entertainment all on her own!! Mike's is a small coffee shop located near the main reception area and serving excellent Cuban coffee. From 11 PM to 7 AM hot dogs, hamburgers, and fries are available at the bar near the main pool. Would we go back to this resort? Certainly!

Room Tip: In the Privilege area I recommend a second floor room overlooking the pool and avoiding the north facing ones due to ever present shade.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
11  Thank DaveCHarper
Reviewed 21 March 2015

My boyfriend and I were not expecting much for our first trip to Cuba but Ocean's blew our minds! We had an amazing time, the resort staff were so friendly and eager to please. We stayed in block 22 and it was close to all the action and a short walk to the beach, our maid was so friendly and hardworking. The ladies at Mike's made the most incredible drinks for us everyday and were so sweet. The food at the main buffet was always delicious and cooked to perfection, no complaints there, we ended up not even going to the restaurants. The entertainment was top notch and the Micheal Jackson show was the best we have ever seen out of all of our vacations. We booked a massage on the second day of our trip and it was so relaxing and gave us access to the spa services our whole trip, it also was reasonably priced.

It was a relaxing vacation and exactly what we wanted, we upgraded for the way home to the VIP which extended our trip and was well worth it, it made the hassel at the airport go a lot smoothly.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Caitlin S
Reviewed 21 March 2015 via mobile

Fantastic resort. We stayed in bungalow 26. Thank you Neisy for the great housekeeping service. The buffet was very good, better than what we expected for Cuba. The beach was fantastic, but go early to secure your real estate on the beach because the good spots go fast.

Two unwanted guests (the roach) found their way into our room on two separate nights, from the large gap under the door, but it's the tropics after all. We solved this by putting a towel in the gap under the door. I am not knocking the hotel, but filling the gap under the door with some weather stripping would help keep the critters out. This would not keep me from returning to this hotel.

The grounds and building are kept clean, and rooms are very modern.

The staff the we encountered were very friendly and accommodating EXCEPT for some of the front desk staff. They need some brushing up on their customer service skills. When exchanging money or just asking a general question they would not smile and just snub you off, but the rest of the staff made up for that.

I stayed here on the recommendation of a friend who stayed last year and I would recommend this hotel as well.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Gavin E
Reviewed 21 March 2015

My son and I took at trip to Cuba for the March Break. It was our very first time. It was a wonderful experience! The food was not as bad as everyone else reported in previous reviews. It was tasty and healthy. If you want to get a good taste of authentic Cuban cuisine, you must get out to Varadero City or Havana. The only downfall was the organization of the al a carte restaurants. The rooms were nice, if you want exceptional service you have to tip generously and leave treats such as toiletries, candies etc. The maids work extremely hard they appreciate that stuff. Our maid Emma took care of us. Words cannot express how amazing the staff has been! Ever since I returned to Toronto (March 19th), I have been missing them all like crazy. I want to send a special shout out to the staff at the lobby bar, Nestor, Justo, Yanisey and there was another lady who was sweet I totally forgot her name. I can't forget Noel the gardner, The entertainment team, Yadira who I adore! Yandy, Jans, Yandy, Yeni, Yenier, Arbey, Arian, Dayan and Marlon. I also want to sent a shout out to the ladies at Mike's coffee bar, the staff at pool side snack bar and Luis, Juan Anita and Disney! You all rock! We were treated like family. My recommendation for the resort is to allow the teens to have a disco night at the club. As there is nothing for them to do.

Will definitely return!

Melissa

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are better.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank Melissa W
Reviewed 21 March 2015

We were a group of 30 that stayed at this resort. I am hoping that our guests share our enthusiasm about their stay. My husband and I love this resort. Our wedding reception was so amazing and worry-free thanks to our on-site wedding planner, Yanet. She guided us through from emails in Canada to the final planning on site, to our perfect day. Thank you, Yanet, our chef Raphael for our wonderful wedding meal, and decorator Freddy.
We stayed a second week for our honeymoon . Our room was clean and spacious. Really liked te size, layout and amenities of this resort. The buffet has a made to order seafood, pasta and meat station which is worth a short wait in line. Had a blast in the lobby bar with Nestor, Gusto and Amarylis . The piano bar with Varadero Blues is a must! The staff makes this resort even more fun like Marlon Brando from Cuba, Tania at the piano bar and Richard and Roberto at the snack bar. Best stay in Cuba by far!!
Would definitely recommend or go back.

Room Tip: Block 16 overlooks the pool and is near kids club and across from spa.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends