Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Melia Varadero(Varadero)
  • Pool
US$158
HotelsClick
5,837 results
All reviewsfamily conciergeroyal serviceoutdoor showerbella mara la carte restaurantsroyal sectionfishmain sectionromantic restaurantjunior suitebutler servicebuffet restaurantromantico restaurantpool barmain buffetdinner reservationsthe main hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 September 2016

Kevin, the tennis pro, is one of the many best kept secrets of the resort. Unfortunately, the resort does not display or appear to give access to a daily list of activities that are available free of charge. This includes such things as tennis lessons, scuba diving lessons & ocean dives. He was a very knowledgeable and patient instructor. The lessons were time well spent as it certainly improved my game. Leffi (sp?), the diving instructor, did a great job preparing me for my first dive ever.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerPVA, Director General at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2016

Deart Eljags
On behalf of the whole staff and management of the hotel we would like to thank you very much for your lovely feedbacks. We are very glad to read that overall you had a positive holiday experience with us and appreciate a lot that you highlight our tennis pro and the diving instructor. We took action on the matter in order to provide more information to our guests. We really hope to give you in a future a very warm welcome back.

Reviewed 17 September 2016 via mobile

My wife and I have just returned from a stay at the Paradisus in Varadero and we had a great time.

The hotel is rated as a 5 start but I would rate it as a 3/4 start due to the rooms which are comfortable but are becoming tired and worn.

We booked a junior suit and to be honest I think the only difference from a standard room is that you get a sofa in the room so it's not worth the extra cost as it was not what I would call a suit.

The food in the hotel is actually very good and there's lots to choose from in the main dining hall and the staff are excellent. There are also number restaurants that you need to make a reservation for and we would recommend the japanese restaurant where they cook your dinner on a hot plate in front of you whilst cracking jokes and performing tricks with the cooking utensils.

We found the staff at the resort to be hard working and eager to please apart from at the pool bar where the waitress would walk around the pool area and ignore you, when you did get her to take a drinks order she wouldn't bother actually getting your drinks so you had to go to the bar yourself. The staff at the beach bar and lobby bar were great and we found that the cocktails were a bit too strong so employed the tactic of ordering a non-alcoholic cocktail plus a vodka to add ourselves which worked better for us as we were drunk after two of the normal cocktails.

The beach is great with lots of umbrellas and sunbeds and we would recommend the snorkeling boat trip which can be taken via the guys stationed with the boats on the beach. It was only 20cuc each and you get a catamaran ride for two out to the reef and a guide who sails the boat and then snorkels with you making sure your safe showing you all the fish. I was a bit surprised when a man appeared out of nowhere and offered to take photos, I was sceptical about the photos being any good but the photographer was true to his word and meet me to collect 20cuc in the hotel lobby that evening and photos were great and he gave us 4 printed photos and a CD with 34 of our photos plus extra photos of the reef.

We would also recommend the day trip to Havana which cost about £106 for the two of us and included travel, a guided tour of the city and lunch in a bar which Earnest Hemingway frequented. The tour is in a small group and was really good value for money and we enjoyed it.

There's lots of entertainment in the evenings in the lobby bar and the only criticism I have is that it gets busy and people smoke in the lobby bar area and as it's Cuba there's lots of people smoking cigars as well as cigarettes which really stinks. The use of e-cigarettes is not a problem as they don't smell and make people around them cough.

To summarise it's a great place to stay with a great pool area, great beach, great food and friendly people but if you want to see Cuba you need take a trip outside of Varadero. We would be happy to return and stay again with the next two years.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simon E

Dear Simon E
It is a real pleasure to read that you had such a nice experience at our resort. The opinions of our guests are very important for us and we appreciate a lot your positive feedbacks. We realize that there is always room for improvement and reviews like yours are for us the best motivation. On behalf of the whole team we would like thank you very much for highlighting our Beach, the Japanese Restaurant and we really hope to give you in a close future a warm welcome back.
With best regards from Cuba,

Reviewed 14 September 2016

I have been there for 1 week and fell in love with the place. It was my 3 rd trip to cuba and this one became so identical and unique. The family suites is a perfect place for a young family; Safe, clean and easy access to pool, splash pad, Bars, buffet, kids club and beach. People are so caring, kind and polite; Kids club supervision and programs are so well organized and entertaining. The foods are variety that even all your peaky eater can enjoy the food. They have a food bar station at the kids club and at the restaurant for the young kids. If you are travelling there, please take some crayon, marker, coloring papers, gentle used costumes, anything that can be useful for kids workshop. You never get bored and will be amazed with all live concerts, shows and events every day and night.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank sally B
GeneralManagerPVA, Director General at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2016

Dear sally B
On behalf of the whole staff we would like to thank you very much for your lovely comments. Reviews like yours are for us the best motivation and with a lot of pleasure we will forward your words to the whole team.
We are very glad to know that you had such a nice experience during your stay and we would be happy to give you and your family in a future a very warm welcome back.

Reviewed 14 September 2016

My husband and I stayed at this resort in early September for our wedding. Although there were some minor issues (very minor) this resort and all the staff were absolutely excellent. Please do not take the negative reviews to heart, I was worried after reading some reviews, but when I arrived I was happy with our decision.

First off, my husband and I were upgraded right away to royal service which was amazing news especially at 1100 pm when you just want to go to bed. The staff greeted us with champagne as well as took us by cart to our room to save us the walk and the driver was nice enough to take all our luggage to the room and give us a tour of the RS room. The only thing I would caution for the second story suites is the stairs, be very careful at night they are hard to see and are slippery.

During the week the food at the a la carte's were very good the Japanese being a favorite in my group! The restaurant that was not a favorite was la bana, this was only depending on your choice of food the only dislike was the chicken all else was amazing especially the salmon. The buffet offered a variety for breakfast, however to be honest we only did breakfast for the buffet with one dinner. The snack bar in family concierge was our favorite and the staff were absolutely amazing. Try the pizza.. it is always hot and amazing!

As per the reviews harping on the ocean the only thing I can advise is do not attempt to utilize the beach in royal service unless you only want to find shells and lie in the sun. The waves can be dangerous and the area is rocky. The main beach by the main lobby is amazing. During the storm there were some rocky areas, but you do not have to rush for a spot on the beach as there is a lot of natural shade from the trees. The water is clear the waves were not too big even in the storm and the water was warm like a bath.

As there was a hiccup in our stay two nights in we had to re-locate as I had an accident with the stairs. The hotel was extremely accommodating. We talked with Natalie at family concierge and she had a new room on the main floor in the family concierge section ready for us in hours. As a bonus even ran me a nice bath. Thank you soo much Natalie my family and I loved your hospitality and it was a pleasure to talk and get to know you.

The main rooms in royal service were a bit out dated, however we enjoyed them. It adds to the charm of the hotel. The AC was not incredibly cold, but it worked. The view from the room was amazing. The outdoor shower was a really nice touch as well. I had to exterminate a few ants as they got in through the cracks in the door, but it did not bug us. Fridge was stocked daily and we did utilize the pillow menu. Wifi was free for us, however it did not work very well.

Family concierge is a newer area to the resort and the rooms were spectacular. Obviously more modern and updated, so the new room was a pleasant surprise. They are however more cramped and you get more of a hotel vibe versus the secluded feeling you get with RS.

For people planning a wedding.. do it! It was the easiest process with very minimal stress. We sent all of our documents six months prior to departure. When we arrived at the resort we had a letter stating the coordinator wanted to meet the next morning. She was amazing! We met for two to three hours went over everything she gave us a quick tour of the grounds and then it was all done. The wedding was free however I opted for a private dinner on the beach throughout sunset. The day of the wedding consisted of five of us getting our hair done. The stylist was incredibly talented and personable she exceeded all of our expectations! Make note of is bring your own hairspray, bobby pins and makeup. The resort supplies with what it can and hairspray in Cuba is up to 78 CUC which is extremely expensive. I called family to bring this with them and we let the stylist keep it for the next bride as it was a shock to me! The wedding coordinator met us in the spa and supplied me and my bridesmaids with the flowers which were beautiful. She explained the process of getting us on a carte to take us to the gazebo right off of the ocean (this location is pretty private, you get a breeze and the pictures are breathtaking). The supplied us with a photographer who took 300 photos for us and put them on a CD with 12 touched up prints. The photos were excellent and he was really sweet. Lastly the reception was also amazing it was set up on the main beach at 7 which gave us all time to take a dip and cool off. the food was buffet style but was delicious we had lobster and fish with veges and potatoes, all was hot and the guests loved it. They had my USB playing my music, set up a open bar and set up an area for speeches. It could not have been any better. Just remember when you are out at night utilize your bug spray they are around and do like to bite!!

Overall, The stay was expensive, but from where I have stayed in Cuba before it was well worth the cost. Thank you so much to all the staff that made me laugh and made me feel like family on those nine days. Thank you to the wedding coordinator, Natalie, and the spa staff you all are wonderful people and I will return very soon!

Room Tip: Royal service are quieter, rustic and luxurious. Family concierge are new, modern and more hotel like.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank travelRN91
GeneralManagerPVA, Director General at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2016

Dear travelRN91,

On behalf of the entire staff of Paradisus Varadero and its management, I would like to thank you for choosing us to for such a special occasion. We would also like to thank you for reporting your feedback on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all your positive comments regards your experience, The Royal Service section, The Family Concierge section, our restaurant and services selection... At Melia, our highest target is without a doubt the complete satisfaction of our guests, therefore we thank you for your comments and we ensure you that we will work on your remarks, hoping to welcome you soon again, fulfilling next time all your expectations. Our congratulations once again!! With best regards,

Reviewed 13 September 2016

We stayed on Family concierge side - Ground floor, swim out room - Stunning!! Our Concierge, Irving was incredible!! He took care of everything for us, bookings and and all. so happy we paid the extra tor the room. Pool outside our room and so clean - very friendly staff : Beach is amazing!!!!!!!

Food - better than expected, but restaurants disappoint - We ate at buffet mostly - had to leave restaurants as food was terrbile. (just our opinion)

Beverages - Terrible - They can't mix a good drink at all and the cola is, well gross!.

of note: We left our starbucks cups outside on our patio table - Stolen by staff (how do i know - Cause i saw the same sercuity guy come up and look at our table at 3am the night prior. as i just happened to be awake) - I just thought he was looking around, but after the cups were stolen - It clicked. No big deal - didnt mention it as what could we do? Just a reminder to put your stuff away

We spent $300 CUC on tips for week (7 of us): $280 CUC on trip to Havana: Careful in Varadeo - The horse ride guy told us $10 CUC total for a quick tour. At the end he said - no Each - This happens alot to people and is a scam.

We would go back for 3 reasons, Family conceriege (ugrade locally), Irving our conceierge and the beautiful country of Cuba.

Room Tip: if you booked jr. suite on "regular" side - you will hate it!! its old and dying and not fun. Book family concerige only!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family

Dear shannon b
On behalf of the whole staff and the management we would like to thank you for your comments. We were reading your review with a lot of attention and would like to apologize for the inconvenience you may have had during your time with us. However we would like to ask you in a future hotel stay, if you are missing any belongings to report it immediately to the staff. Our security is very high and the security guards are making the rounds in the hotel, so that nothing should happen. They rounds are 24hours a day, so if you see passing a security guard at 3 in the night is nothing out of normal.
We appreciate a lot that you consider visiting us again and we would love to give you in a future a very warm welcome back.