US$107
US$129
US$117
US$105
  • Breakfast included
Antonio & Yamiley Varadero(Varadero)(Great Value!)
US$48
US$376
US$204
Cancelon
US$120
US$104
Cancelon
1,628 results
All reviewsplaya de orojean lucbbq lunchlive bandspanish coffeehouse bandpool gamessmall resorthot sauceanimation teamamazing beachthe cuban a la cartepool viewthe grillbeach buffetevery eveningmagic show
Reviewed 26 April 2018

The hotel is not a luxury rooms one, The staff take their time (so you have to wait and be patient!), don’t make much effort to greet, smile or help when we had questions. Pretty much everything else - it’s a run down hotel, maybe 4* during the 80s

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
MGM_Muthu_Hotels, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Muthu Playa Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2018

Dear Lenovavibe,
Thank you very much for your comment. We greatly regret your perception of our staff. We can affirm that this attitude of the staff is not usual either in our hotel or in Cuba. This is demonstrated in many of the opinions written on this website or in surveys conducted by tour operators such as Sunwing.
On the other hand, we are in an investment process to improve the entire hotel infrastructure.
We hope to have you here again and show you how satisfactory we can make your holidays.

Reviewed 18 April 2018

I like to keep my reviews simple and highlight the pros and cons about the resort, much of which is an echo from most of the other reviews.

Pros
- Food didn't make me sick for the first time (been to Cuba 4 times)
- Beach was beautiful
- Resort was smaller and not overcrowded
- Scooter rentals are located at the main entrance
- Nightly entertainment
- Italian a la carte was delicious!

Cons
- Rooms have lots of problems. First room didn't have a door on the safe. Second room had water leak and moldy fridge. Most of our friends at the resort had problems with their room as well such as door key not working or bad smell in room.
- Animation staff is not very energetic or friendly
- No blenders for slushy drinks
- Have to go to disco after 11pm if you want a drink
- Pool was often dirty
- WiFi has poor connection

Overall very average but a good enough place to stay if you can book it for under $800

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chris S
Reviewed 17 April 2018

This resort use to be called Coralia Club Playa de Ora but was purchased by MGM and called Muthu Playa Varadero. There was six of us in total who went to celebrate a 50th Birthday. I have been to Cuba two other times and this place is one I would not go again. The rooms are in need of some TLC or maybe just a fresh coat of paint, but they are ok. The air conditioning worked really well to the point of being cold. It is a smaller resort so there is not alot of walking to get to the various places. The food selection I thought was average and tasted fine. Although the pool looked somewhat clean I didn't see anyone cleaning it so you be the judge. Unfortunately I found the staff not very friendly, almost scared to talk to you. There where a couple that we had fun with. The beach is really nice and big with lots of chairs/loungers. The restaurant on the beach was my favorite for lunch. The one thing that was disappointing was that you had to go to the disco after 11 to get a drink. Everything else closed up and lights out. If you wanted to do anything after 11 you had to go to the disco.. All the other bars where closed. It would have been nice if there was another bar open.. The snack bar that was open all night had hamburgers, hotdogs or ham and cheese.. that was it. They would run out of stuff on a daily basis - towels, type of drink, etc. Also I suggest you get change at the airport. It was very difficult to get $1.00 CUC.. They never seemed to have any.

Room Tip: I liked the rooms that did not face the pool - Room 2114 has a wrap around deck that you could see the pool if you wanted to.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wendy R
MGM_Muthu_Hotels, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Muthu Playa Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2018

Dear Wendy R,
Thank you very much for staying at our hotel and commenting on it.
Our staff is characterized by being very friendly and helpful, this can be seen in most of the comments on the opinion sites or surveys of tour operators.Our hotel is in an investment process to improve the entire infrastructure.Because the hotel has begun to be managed by MGM Muthu Hotels, we are reorganizing the service schedules to achieve your total satisfaction. We hope you visit us again and show you how happy we can make you feel.
Best regards.

Reviewed 14 April 2018

Where to I start. I have been going to this hotel for the past 14 years, the last 4 years we would go twice. I was there is February and again in April. It`s amazing the down-slide in 2 months. This resort used to be a happening place for people of all ages. I`m in my late 50`s and my son who accompanied me both times is in his early 30`s. We were very disappointed with the lobby bar closing at 11 p.m. , so obviously this is not a 24 hour bar as stated. There was a very poor bar selection as the shelves were mostly bare unless you wanted to pay extra. If you wanted a drink after 11 pm you had to go to the disco bar in another building with blaring music. No way to have a quiet drink and conversation. Also in February there was dancing every night with the band as there was always someone from the animation team leading those who took dance lessons during the day to practice their skills. No such thing in April. Animator only showed up around 8:45 to introduce the band for the remaining 15 minutes. The lobby bar is the main bar and it was practically deserted every night. I myself as a single traveler was bored to tears and went to my room even before the music ended. My son has indicated to me that maybe it`s time to try another place.

Staff here are great. They have always made us feel that this is our home when in Cuba. The staff are hard working, friendly and kind. In February I thought that being bought by the MUTHU chain was going to be a good thing. I`m not sure anymore.

A group of people from different parts of Canada and the UK are thinking of meeting again in February, but we are not sure anymore. We will keep watching the reviews. Especially the review of people who are regulars (return customers) at this hotel as they have been noticing the changes and those I spoke with are not happy.

Even the lunch grill was sad. It was very monotonous but what was offered was still delicious. This was the first time that I craved a tuna sandwich from the pool bar over grilled chicken and fish for lunch.

The hotel can do all the cosmetic renovations to the rooms but it wont bring back the Cuban vibe that its lost. It`s a shame. By the end of the week you met most of the people at the bar, all ages. Single travelers never felt excluded, but now its so dull.

Change is usually good. This hotel does need a face lift for sure but it also needs character. Don`t cut down on the service you already have, instead improve them. You have a wonderful staff, make them feel that they are part of a team.

Room Tip: anything after 3rd floor
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
6  Thank ptitesammy
Reviewed 14 April 2018

First of all most staff are great. Cleaning is borderline, and you have to ask for bottled water in your room. Make sure to put everything in your safe, I made friends that did not and things went missing.
Pool is nice and beach is wonderful.The resort is small which make it easy to meet people and we did. People were in love with my 7 year old son, hé was à good sport in all the games.......when they had. One day, our last day, my son wanted to play beach volleyball with his new 19 year old friend(we played every morning at 10h30 which is resort schedule) a guy refused to let him play, he wanted to play hard, I had to go and explain that my son was going to play. The guy served and throw very hard at us, it was no surprise to me, we moved à bit ran for the ball, high 5 everyone or almost. We figure that the animaçon staff that was in our team was friend of then Guy and was just hitting the ball to send it out to finish the game as fast as possible. Since staff are using the expressions "wake up" and "bybye Mickey Mouse" m'y son told him to wake up, he told my son to.......SHUT UP.......(btw he is the one with a third of a golden tooth). Another lady in our group had problem with the entertainment too and complain.
Kids club is always close and believe it or not the sign inside the club say "don't come inside children without parents".....Yep.
Oh and stay away from the bellroom, they just want you to take à taxi and if you refuse they make it long and ask you to read the non responsable board at the door.
We were also not impress by the Delphinario, unfortunately it was apparently better before. My son was desapointed, 73pesos, to swim(15minutes) and 35pesos for DVD, professional photos were crappy.
I went to other resorts, not only in Cuba, but I have to say that I was desapointed and not sure I will go back. I also understand that the hurricane hit them hard but it is not à reason to lose all work ethic.
Management informed us that a new company just bought the place and things will get better and .......(violon soundtrack), I don't know how they could manage that even with injecting a 6M$ upgrade without à big staff turnover this will stay the way it is.
I sent an email to Muthu 3 days ago and still no answer. People will not stop to go but eventually the rooms may have to go down in price, the pride is nonobstant regarless of all guess the entertainment staff should be available to people to entertain not to be entertained themselves.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family