3,774 results
All reviews jimmy's buffet pizza lobby bar fish beach restaurant pasta guy a la carte restaurants ocean view lobster night japanese restaurant beautiful beach pasta station family resort chicken jeep safari main building nightly entertainment
Reviewed 16 February 2018

First of all, upon check in I was attended by the manager Mrs. Olga Lidia, and showed her a prepaid reservation voucher, issued by Amona.com. However, she said my reservation was canceled due to non-payment, and even advising that it was prepaid by a serious international agency, she refused and embarrassed me at ckeck-in in front of many other guests. Trying to clarify the mistake, I called to Amona call center in Zurich, but she charged me 4 CUC per minute and did not believe me, despite my eforts, and left me no alternative but to pay another reservation to be admitted to the hotel, and only after that did she find my prepaid reservation by Amona.com, and excused himself quickly, as if he had done nothing wrong. It was a very bad start, and it disturbed me for the whole stay.
Also, although I read the reviews before booking, actually the hotel is more damaged than I imagined, it has water leaks through the corridors, damp walls, broken elevators, the cleaning is terrible at all part of the hotel. The disco has loud music until 1 a.m., and the noise reaches the 4th floor. In the buffet restaurant the ingredients are repeated every day, a lot of pork, no beef, and I found the reutilization of food very dangerous, especially at breakfast, where I had a sour dessert. For your safety and peace, escape from this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
5  Thank Eliezer F
Hotel B, Director General at Hotel Bella Costa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2018

Dear Eliezer F,
Thank you very much for your comment on Trip Advisor.
I deeply regret that your stay with us at the Bella Costa did not meet your expectations. Our goal is always to offer the persons who visit us our best effort.
After speaking to the manager you mention in your review, I must inform you that she did not mean to offend you and she apologizes for the misunderstanding. It can happen that a reservation does not reach the hotel in time, for those cases we have a procedure, which is to accept a deposit from the client until the reservation is confirmed by the travel agency. As soon as we get in touch with the latter, the client receives his/her money back. I hope you understand that this is the only way we have to protect ourselves. The manager you mentioned in your review is among our best. I am sure you would be delighted if you had the opportunity to meet her again.
I have taken note of the issues you mentioned and they will soon be taken care of. Thank you for a valuable feedback.
I hope you will give us the opportunity to host you again soon.

Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

Another great week at Bella Costa. So much work has been done since my last trip in Oct 2017. The new Mirador is beautiful. As always I was welcomed back by all staff, they are the reason I keep coming back. Can't wait till April when I plan to visit again.
Many thanks
Eibhilin
Toronto, ON.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank EibhilinG

Hello Eibhilin,
Thanks for writing about Bella Costa. Thank you also for noticing the changes we have made on El Mirador, they took a lot of work indeed and the staff is still working hard.
I am so happy that you appreciate the hard work and charisma of our staff, you are definitely right, they are our biggest strength.
Looking forward to hosting you again in April

Reviewed 12 February 2018

Nice hotel, must have been a beauty in its day. Rooms were terrible, sheets didn't fit the bed, the bathroom faucets were all rusted, the bathroom mirror and lights were in bad shape. Worst mattress ever, terrible sleeping quality. Bedding was so old and out dated and dirty. Housekeeping was poor, hallway to our room was flooded and water leaking onto our heads. Buffet was only ok, same food every day and not alot of options. Italian restaurant was good, we were not able to get into the other 2. Not much happening at the resort, waitstaff super excellent, and nighttime shows were pretty good. Not much to eat after hours, only choice was hamburger and cheese sandwiches. Beach was nice lots of chairs. This resort was small and quaint but needs some TLC and improvements to their dining experience

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bellad94
Hotel B, Director General at Hotel Bella Costa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2018

Hello Bella D94,
Thank you so much for writing about the Bella Costa on Trip Advisor. Thank you as well for having chosen us as a vacation destination.
I deeply regret that your vacations did not ended up as a complete success. We certainly try hard every day to make our clients happy.
I hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you still one more time in the future.
general Manager

Reviewed 12 February 2018

Before we left we read lots of reviews so we went with our eyes open. We had no electricity in our first family suite even after we figured out the room card power slot and were switched to a new room with electricity but must have been the suite in which they store all of their extra cots. We had only cold cold water 2 of the days of our stay. The lunch buffet was the best in my opinion, beautiful view and the best food of the whole day. The breakfast and dinner buffets were always very smoky from the cooking of meats. We took the hop on/hop off bus for a tour and when they tell you its a 5-10 minute walk to the bus stop don't believe them, it is easily 20-30 especially with a toddler. We had great weather and the beach is fantastic!

The pros - The food at the buffets is better than we expected. The beach is beautiful. Lots of beach and pool side chairs available.

The cons - The hotel is extremely dated. There doesn't seem to be enough staff to pick up after the guests. The pool liner is completely awful and a tripping hazard. There were no mojitos available until our last day when someone came around with a cart specifically to make mojitos. We got completely bitten by a mystery bug in our room. Don't bother booking the a la carte Japanese restaurant you will completely disappointed (bologna sushi).

Overall I feel as though we overpaid for our experience at Hotel Bella Costa. It was my first time going south and I'm not a particularly picky traveller.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Amanda G

Dear Amanda G,
Thank you for the time and honesty to write a review about the Bella Costa. We have taken note of your comments and they will serve us as a very useful feedback in order to improve our service. I am confident that by the time you drop by again, we will have solved all these issues.
I wish you a great day on my behalf and that of my staff
So long

Reviewed 11 February 2018

Simple summary - been to Cuba 3 times, twice at the Bella Costa and love the hotel and staff. This is Cuba folks. Go with an open mind and enjoy.

We had been to BC in 2015 with the whole family and had a great time and wanted to try again with just the two of us. Was a little worried about the state of the hotel after the storm but what a surprise! The hotel obviously took some damage but amazed how well and fast the resort recovered. Still some work going on but discretely and non-invasive.

The majority of the staff are still there (and a couple actually remembered me!). Was wonderful reconnecting. We found out that as returning guests there is special wrist bands and 'repeaters' special dinner with entertainment, carnation for her and cigar for me. Nice touch. As this is a smaller, older hotel the staff seem more intimate and relaxed which makes from a great atmosphere.

The 6th floor is completely redone (as I'm told the top two floors were destroyed by the storm). The old tube tvs were replaced with flat screens, satellite cable so options in all languages to watch (not why we are there of course). The room (622) was large, clean and only issue was a slow drain in the tub. Mentioned to the front desk and they offered to swap rooms immediately and let us check out another. As we liked the room we had we asked if they could have maintenance look at it and the service guys where there and working before I could get back myself. Issue solved. The beds are a little thin but not unusual for a Cuba hotel. Although we didn't have a balcony we had wall to wall windows that opened all the way and could see the both sides of the peninsula, sunrise and sunset.

We are not big on booking the a la cartes only as we have no time lines while on vacation so can't speak to them but amazed at the newly rebuilt Mirador. The restaurant is outside on the beach. Great views and totally modern. Had our repeaters dinner there.

We always find something at the buffet. I do recommend bringing your own maple syrup but otherwise breakfast is king! Pancakes, french, bacon (occasionally), toast eggs any way you like them or get Cecilia to cook you an omelette fresh! For lunch or supper can't go wrong with the roasts, or if you truly want to be entertained see Sandro the pasta master. I wish I could bottle his enthusiasm and pure joy. A true caballero!

The lobby bar has to be one of my favourite areas of the hotel (yes the WiFi works there but that's not the reason). Nice stand up bar with stools, lots of chairs and couches, a couple of TV's to watch Cuban baseball and usually live entertainment plus just outside the front doors is a covered smoking area so everyone can enjoy. Chatting with Sergio is always fun.

We go to Cuba for the beach. The pool area has new covered king sized beds where couples of families can set up and seems like more loungers than the last time. Both the pool areas and the two hot tubs have adjacent bars.
Snack at all hours of the night can be had at Alicia's. The ham and cheese sandwiches or the pizza is a must.

The beach is amazing. I'm sure there's not a beach in Varadero that isn't. There is a reef about 200' off the Mirador that you can snorkel though damaged by the storm is recovering. Lots of fish and also saw an octopus. Catamaran rides and water toys are included but really, spend $20 CUC and do the snorkeling trip. Miguel took us out, they anchor over a reef and toss in bread to attract (more) fish. Amazing! Best money spent in Cuba hands down.

The Hotel is about 3km from downtown Varadero, across the street from the golf course and next to Xanadu Mansion (Dupont House).
Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Baseball fans inquire at Cubanacan desk for tours to Matanzas to watch a game.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tony S
Hotel B, Director General at Hotel Bella Costa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2018

Dear Tony S,
Thank you so much for a nice review. You seem to have enjoyed every service we offer at the hotel and that makes me happy. Your comment is a very complete one and it gives quite an exact idea of what Bella Ciosta is; of course, that is only my opinion.
I hope you will visit us again soon.
General manager