Natty Tropical Valley(Roseau)(Great Value!)
US$65
Fort Young Hotel(Roseau)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$193
TripAdvisor
All reviewscell phoneplace to staycable tvguest housenarakielslynnemicrowaveaccommodationdominicaisland
Reviewed 28 April 2014

When I was looking for accommodation in Dominica, I got worried pretty quick as it seemed like everything was surprisingly expensive. Narakial's Inn was a welcome find, and I was not disappointed in my choice. While some people have described the rooms as small, I found my room to be very comfortable (standard room with futon) and I was there for about two weeks. They had a nice TV, good internet, and it was great to have a microwave and fridge in the room. The shower was a little interesting, as the water heater could be turned on an off, and even after a couple weeks there I wasn't entirely certain what decided whether my shower would be warm or not, although turning the heater on about 30 minutes before a shower seemed to be a good strategy. Besides the room, the hotel manager is great. Not only did he help me tour around, but he made sure that all the taxi's that I took had friendly, knowledgeable drivers. Also, the maid was lovely lady- very friendly. The location of the hotel was also very nice, as it is along the river (which is beautiful) and close to Roseau.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I stayed in the studio which was room #1 and that is what I will review. Firstly the room is located to the back of the building so when you look out the windows (which all have movable screens) your view is of the backyard, tempting tamarind trees and other bushes full of small birds which would sometimes hop onto the louvers and sing/chirp to each other. The Inn has one communal balcony which has about 2 tables and 4 chairs. The balcony offers a view of the river and the main shopping areas of Roseau which are about 5 minutes walk away. The room is somewhat small as there is between 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 foot wide walking space in any given direction. If you are someone who needs a lot of space this might be a problem for you. It was not a problem for me as I had small bags which did not require much room. If you have many bags or big bags you can store them in the closet and on or under the table. The room also includes a 4 (or 5) drawer standing dresser as well as a small 2 drawer bedside dresser in which you can unpack and store your stuff.

For its size the room comes with numerous amenities. Here is what I remember seeing (and I am sure I forgot some): In the closet there is a deliciously warm blanket, a bathrobe, an umbrella, iron, ironing board, clothes hangers and a safe. The bedroom has a bed, two dressers (mentioned above), a table, chair, flat screen tv, ceiling fan, lamp, first aid kit, flashlight, and clock radio. The kitchen area has an air conditioning unit, a full-sized fridge and stove, microwave, blender, juicer, coffee maker, stove-top kettle, side table with 3 chairs and an assortment of pots, bowls, pans, eating utensils and cutlery. There is even a grater and strainers so you can enjoy preparing and cooking a variety of meals. (Narakiel’s does not provide meals. You make your own or you dine out at a restaurant.) You are provided with a variety of tea bags and jelly packets, dish washing liquid, a sponge and a dish rack so you can be off to a running start once you arrive. The bathroom has the usual commodities and includes a clothesline in the bath. I was really impressed with the quantity of stuff that was packed into the studio.

I found the manager Mr. Astaphan to be very accommodating and helpful. I was originally scheduled to arrive in Dominica at 9:30 am so I emailed and asked to be allowed an earlier check-in time since check-in time is 3 o’clock. This was agreed to but when I got to the airport I found that my flight had been changed so that I would arrive after 3 pm and with a travel time from the airport to the Inn of over an hour, I had to text him and ask for a late check-in time. He graciously accommodated all these changes and when I finally turned up at the Inn he arrived in less than 5 minutes and checked me in. I filled out a contract and he gave me a tour of the room and its facilities. The room has no land-line phone so he gave me a cell phone with complimentary credit and emergency contact numbers pre-programmed in it. He also explained the reason for the key deposit. Unlike most hotels, Narakiel’s gives you three keys – one for the downstairs gate, one for the main hallway door and one for the room. Therefore when a tenant loses the keys not only do all the locks need to be changed for security reasons but copies of the new keys have to be made for all the tenants. I had no problem with being asked to pay the key deposit. Throughout my stay Mr. Astaphan was just a text away and was able to fulfill my requests in a very timely manner.

The cleaner (I think her name was Magdeline) was very friendly and helpful. My watch strap broke and she was able to tell me a place to go to get a new one (The Muslim Store). I was very grateful for that.

I am not surprised that some people found Narakiel’s hard to find because the locals I spoke to about it did not know where it was. Narakiel’s Inn is located basically on the outskirts of the town. A river flows in front of it and this river has four bridges. The most notable bridge is the one with the 4 stone lions. This bridge is located just outside of the KFC restaurant and Save-a-Lot supermarket. If you stand outside these stores, count this bridge as number one, walk up to the 3rd bridge and cross over it. The bridge has an arched sign saying something like ‘facing the journey together’. (This bridge is also directly in line with the large book store – Jays Limited.) Once you cross the bridge (you should be in front of a Seventh Day Adventist Church?) turn right and the Inn is the top floor of the last building. The first and second floors of the building appear to be privately owned apartments. These tenants were quiet so there was no problem of noise but be warned that voices in the hallway do carry into the rooms and I would suspect that the opposite is also true.

I would definitely recommend Narakiel’s Inn as a place to stay and would be staying there when and if I return to Dominica.

Room Tip: Book early as there is only 1 suite.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Irrith_O
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Rooms were a bit small, and there is not much room to hang around in the hotel. Plus side its 2 minutes walk from the cricket. Proper budget Inn, so cant really complain. It was cheap and you get what to pay for. Nice place to have as a base, but don't expect a palace.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We had an awesome stay at Narakiels. The rooms are cozy, very comfortable and well equipped with any and everything you can think of needing! Imagine there was even an umbrella in the room. That right there shows that they put a lot of thought into the comfort of their guests. Richard, the manager was the most helpful and courteous we've met. Always willing to help with whatever it took to make us comfortable at the inn and also our vacation in Dominica. Dominica is a beautiful island and Richard saw to it that we got to see as much of the island as possible during our short stay. Narakiels Inn along with its pleasant staff ended up being our perfect choice of somewhere to stay while in Dominica. Would recommend it to all.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stacelen H
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I was at Narakiel Inn for 3 days and I must say it was 'home away from home'. I had all the luxury of making my own food and, sleeping in a comfy bed, a rich library to choose books to read on your stay and to crown all that; complimentary coffee, snacks and mobile telephone for the duration of your stay! Wow! This is taking hospitality to the next level. I stayed in a studio like room and and i paid what i would have paid for a small room in some hotels. Nice view of the Stadium and just a stroll to the center of Roseau. I will definitely go back!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo