“Good value for the money”
Review of Fort Young Hotel

Fort Young Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Roseau
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I booked a single room at Fort Young during a recent visit and it was a good deal for the $98 per night cost.

The first room that I booked, room 523, unfortunately, was directly adjacent to where the kitchen staff works so I had the misfortune of hearing pots and pans banging about all evening and early in the morning. The hotel changed my room 405 and it was a very clean darling room with a small garden and sea view.

The hotel staff is wonderful -- professional and helpful and I didn't have a bad meal for the entire time that I was there.

Room Tip: Beware of standard rooms near to the kitchen, like room 523.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
FortYoungHotel, Director of Sales at Fort Young Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Dear Guest

We are happy that overall that you had a good time here. We thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback help us in continuously upgrading our products and services and ensuring that our guests expectations are met and exceeded.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Marvlyn James
Sales and Marketing Manager

There are newer reviews for Fort Young Hotel

Reviewed 26 December 2011

Stayed at the Fort Young on the last night of a one week visit to this gorgeous island, specifically because it was convenient for the catamaran to Martinique the next day. I had found a good rate on the internet for a standard room...which ultimately was fair value for the money given the Hotel's location, facilities and ambiance. I was given an old and very worn ocean view (OK generally cruise ship view) room which was perfectly fine and comfortable, with the winning point being a lovely balcony overlooking the sea. Had I been paying more I would have found the mini-fridge sitting on the desk a real nuisance (particularly given the wired only internet, which meant having to get into awkward positions when using my computer or moving the fridge to the balcony, which I ultimately did). The decision to move was eased by the fact that the refrigerator was useless...sparkling new but with an American style plug -- the UK type outlet meant it needed a plug and voltage converter to be even remotely useful. It was there for show I suppose, and looked better on the balcony. The packet of ground coffee was not quite appropriate for the hot water kettle unless I wanted Turkish coffee I guess. I did not. I went in search of a place to eat, which in theory were plentiful in the Hotel but in reality were closed except when cruise ships were in port (i.e. during the day) -- the one restaurant open was the formal one which happened to be serving American Thanksgiving Dinner. The front desk did immediately suggest a nice local restaurant five minutes away (they have received this query frequently I assume), and I had an excellent local meal with great service at the informal Old Stone Cafe. In my wander in search of food, I did notice the gorgeous infinity pool. The place is fawlty, but not in a terribly irritating way and at least in my case, the price was right. Roseau is a lovely place for a day or two, but there are really many more interesting places to stay in Dominica if you are budfgeting more than US$100.

Room Tip: My standard room was fine for a short stay in Roseau...If I had to pay more I would stay at the many...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank UKbanker33
Reviewed 5 December 2011

This hotel is in the heart of the capital of Dominica - Roseau, just down the street from the par aliment building, and adjacent to the cruise ship dock. It is also nestled at the edge of a cliff overlooking the Caribbean Sea and Pointe Michelle. The property is Dominica's premier business hotel.

The property has 71 rooms and at least the room we stayed in was more than roomy and spacious. All rooms are air-conditioned and the property is above the mosquitos lines so you don't have to worry about getting bitten.

When my wife and I arrived in the country we had a driver, Clem, there to drive us to the hotel. The drive to Roseau was harrowing as Dominica's roads are narrow and hang off cliffs; regardless, our driver was polite, professional and told us the history of this beautiful island nation.

Upon entering the hotel, the staff had two fresh squeezed pineapple juices sitting on the reception desk and checked us in. The bellhop, Priestly, got us to our room and then proceeded to show us around the property. When I mentioned we were interested in attending Sunday services, the bellhop showed us where the church in town was - walking us a couple blocks to show us where in town the church situated. He went above and beyond the call of duty to welcome us to Dominica.

We were excited to find our Oceanview room to be spacious with a large king sized bed and a patio deck which overlooked Port Michel. The trip was a honeymoon and the hotel had two glasses and a bottle champagne so my new wife and I could toast starting our new life together along with a fruit dish.

For being in a somewhat poor nation it was great to have a suite bathroom, cable TV and free wi-fi network. But when you are in Dominica you don't spend too much time in your room as the island is for exploration and connecting to nature. But each night after our adventures it was great to relax on our balcony listening to the splashing of the waves below as we uploaded our photos and videos to Facebook using the complimentary high speed internet access is exclusively available in the room.

The Fort Young Hotel also featured a wide range of facilities and amenities including an infinity pool, hot tubs, restaurant, dive shop, duty free shop, hotel bar called the Balas Club and a new workout facility. The pool had a waterfall like fountain that feed it. I original drafted this entry and review while sitting on the edge of the pool staring into the sea with a nice breeze keeping us cool while my wife reviews photos she took during one of our hikes in the rainforest.

One final note, the hotel is somehow connect with Khatts tour company who maintains a transfer and tour desk - they can arrange for guides, drivers, tours and dry land activities. They have great events and the dive shop can arrange for snorkeling, whale watching and water related activities. Ask for Martin (Transfer/Tour Desk) or Ken (Dive Shop), they both did good jobs assisting us on our exploration of Nature's Island.

Room Tip: The hotel had several room categories include the Standard Room, the comfortable and deluxe Oceanfro...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dmaclachlan76
Reviewed 25 November 2011

I had booked a Standard Room and was upgraded to a Fort Room... talk about LUCK!!! The Fort Rooms are worth every penny of difference and next time I will not make the mistake of booking Standard. The view alone is worth it. Only complaint is the lack of wireless, I would have loved to been able to sit on the porch and work.

Room Tip: It is definitely worth the extra money to get a Fort Room instead of a Standard Room!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Matthew J
Reviewed 17 November 2011

So my travels to Dominica started with trying to book Fort Young...booked solid to my disappointment. On arriving in Roseau I thought I would stop by and check availability..as luck would have it I got 3 day stay at the end of my trip Nov 2-5th..Great ambiance..especially the bar and restaurant...great breakfast and service..the view was spectacular specifically at nite. you could chill at the main bar relax with a Kubali beer...check in was smooth..our room was clean and was maintained that way everyday...it's also in the middle of town..near the Ruins Bar/Restaurant..great hangout...jacuzzi could have been warmer, but pool was relaxing, not alot of traffic... Security staff were also great made you feel safe. I have no complaints but gratitude for such hospitality and I have travelled to many caribbean hotels, but this one is a gem..we will return again and again..

Room Tip: rooms facing the sea..for sure..not by the central air fan...a little noisy which can spoil things a...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank thandy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseau
29.4 km away
Calibishie Lodges
#3 of 3 in Calibishie
1.6 km away
Anchorage Hotel & Dive Center

Been to Fort Young Hotel? Share your experiences!