“Ok Stay. Buena estadía.”
Review of Carey House Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Carey House Hotel
Ranked #59 of 80 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Upon our arrival, parked in the 4 spot parking lot. Our room was right behind the reception desk and that worried me at first, but it turned out to be no problem. Unlike other hotels that require that you pay cash or they charge you 5% more if you use a credit card, The Carey House Hotel accepts mayor credit cards.
When we entered the room there was no fridge but as soon as I called they brought one right away. Asked for an ironing board and iron, which they also brought rather quickly but unfortunately, the board was too flimsy and one of those that you hang up in your closet when you're done, and the iron was just too old, it ruined a pair of white pants because it stuck on the fabric rather than just glide.
The room was clean but rather outdated, the curtain dusty and needed a good wash, the shower curtain with some mildew, the hot water, the air and tv worked well.
The guys at the reception were always kind and eager to help with whatever issue I had. Many thanks to all in particular to Brian and to the fellow that works the 3-11pm shift.
The location is really ideal if you plan to go to the Colonial Section, you will find lots of little restaurants and shops. Always be mindful of not showing money, jewelry, cameras etc. It's not a dangerous place by any means, but it's always good to avoid problems. It's within walking distance to the Italian Embassy and a 10 minute cab ride to the U.S. Consulate.
The restaurant upstairs was really nothing to write home about. I looked at the menu and just had breakfast every morning, (Continental, 4 toasts and jam, coffe and juice 220RD$ apx 5.00US$ and American breakfast, 2 eggs, toasts, coffe and juice 240RD$, apx 6.00US$)
All in all the Carey House Hotel is a good place to stay, I think I would go back should I need to visit the capital again in the future

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Giovanni A

Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

The rooms are clean, albeit slightly old fashioned. Doors lock well, bathroom has warm water, power stays on. It's in a slightly out of the way area in Santo Domingo so either make sure you know where you're going/ have a tour guide that knows where you're going. The Colonial District is about a 5 minute walk and the churches and everything are about 15-20 minutes. It's quite the heavy walk and watch out for cars! There are no ideal restaurants situated by, and I found everything in the room basic. There are no windows in the rooms and the air is a bit stuffy and the room is a bit outdated. For the Dominican Republic, it's pretty good. Compared with the rest of the world, especially the US and much of Western Europe, it's on the lower end of the scale. You'll save big time though.

• Stayed: January 2013
5  Thank ameraroundtheworld
Reviewed 31 December 2010

we are missionaries and travel a lot to DR. This is a very nice place to stay Santo Domingo

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank z6400
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I have been traveling DR as a missionary (www.MissionRyan.cfsites.org)and stayed in many different hotel. I would rate this hotel as 2 star if Holiday Inn in US is 3 star. Full AC, OK clean, good security. The biggest room has 3 full size beds and they allow 4 people. Smallest one has one full size bed; they call 'full size' as 'queen' somehow. Price wise, it is good for $20-25 per person in DR. This is the best hotel for that price in DR, I believe. Security is naturally perfect, becasue the presidential palace in next street and machine gun armed guard drives around the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010
6  Thank mission2090
Reviewed 4 April 2008

My trip was a personal/business and was only going to be there a few days. It was important for me to have wireless connection as I was bringing my laptop. Yes they now have wireless and connection was never a problem. I met up with a cousin who lives in the country and would accompany me during my stay so I would not be in an unknown place by myself. As a woman I look for safety & cleanliness...
The hotel is very clean. Keep in mind this is not the Hitlon or Marriott, etc. These are privately owned. The room is small. You have your bed a small tv (cable), a small fridge and a desk that was mounted on the wall. It is what it is. I made the best of the desk for eating and then for working on my laptop.
The area is quiet and never felt unsafe there. If you like to be around all the action then you need to stay right in the Colonial zone. Keep in mind, it is more pricier and probably not as safe.

They have a cafeteria which will make you breakfast. It worked fine for me as I did not have to get up early to go out and get breakfast. My breakfast was delivered every morning.

My only complaint. I seem to notice that the hotel is never busy with guests.. it appears the staff at the front desk were men. The only women staff I've seen were the cleaning ladies. They did a good job at keeping my room clean and smelling fresh. The men were a little flirtacious. They were constantly calling my room to see if "everything was okay". Not something I welcome when travelling by myself. I do feel it is unprofessional.

I never had to leave a key when leaving the room. I suggest you lock all of your most valuable belongings when leaving your room. just remember as long as someone has access to your room, whatever you leave out could easily be gone in a minute. The rooms do provide a small safe at an extra charge.

Otherwise, it was a nice quiet place to come to after a long day of activities.

The Colonial Zone is a quick 5 mins taxi ride.. I'm a New Yorker and am use to walking so walking there was not a problem for me.
For the price.. You got a safe clean place.. After all how much time do you really spend in a room?

Stayed: March 2008