Presidential Suites by Lifestyle(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$297
US$170
Bookit.com
  • Pool
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$173
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$330
US$133
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$153/night.

VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$197
US$178
Travelocity
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$265
US$242
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$130
VH Atmosphere - Adults Only - All Inclusive(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$217
US$158
Free cancellation until 29/07
US$155
US$147
Hotels.com
Tubagua Plantation Eco Lodge(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 21/07
US$85
US$50
3,643 results
All reviewsplaya doradablack pantherentertainment staffsnack barbeach vendorsdominican republicchickena la cartenightly entertainmentorange marketrecommend this resortresort staffpicky eaterlobstergreat triphave a good timerum factory
Reviewed 1 November 2011

First off I want to say I read all of the reviews on this site before going down on my honeymoon with my new wife. Needless to say I was worried!
The hotel was fantastic, we had a suite, and had no complaints! Never ran out of hot water, and the maid service was excellent. Air Conditioning was a god send and we always had a comfortable room, and being from New England we like it chilly!
I was expecting the food to be low grade based on reviews, but the first dinner at the buffet was much better then expected. However over the course of the week, the limited selection got tedious, however I expected that from any buffet style dining. The separate restaurants were nothing exciting, one night we hopped back to the buffet only to see the items we had ordered at the restaurant were available at the buffet! For people talking about not being able to go more then a few times, simply make friends with the staff and let them know you want to go and they will hook you up no problem. We only made reservations once through the "appropriate" channels.
The aggressiveness of people selling things on the beach is greatly exaggerated... If you say no or pretend to be asleep they will keep walking past you. My wife did take a look at some jewelry and that was like blood in the water for the vendors, she had about 6 or 7 switch off trying to sell her things. However when she was done, they weren't too bad about parting ways.
We went to the 7 Waterfalls, went horseback riding, and visited Paradise Island. The waterfalls were great but be prepared to make PLENTY of stops at different local places before actually getting to the falls. Horseback riding was great! It was my first time, however my Wife knows how to ride and said what we did was not for beginners, so be careful if you have little ones! Paradise Island was very very beautiful, however the bus ride is very long so bring something to keep you busy!
Be friendly to the staff and they can find anything you might be looking for! Everyone we talked to while we were down there had a stomach bug at some point... Welcome to a third world country, water will somehow make it into your system if you ever leave the resort so just bring some Pep-to and you'll be fine!
This definitely wasn't 5-Stars but for the money is was an excellent trip, and I would recommend it to friends and family. Also we were there the week after labor day, and it was the "off season" which basically meant we had the place to ourselves. Even with the weekend groups of locals we never had any issues finding chairs by the pool or on the beach! Perfect location for "Hurricane Season" as we watched the big black storm clouds bounce back out to sea, which apparently is due to the close proximity of the mountains to the resort!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank NickP1984
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Very good location - on the beach. Loved the open air restaurant, also on the beach. The rooms near the pool may be a little noisy, but that's ok if you like the fun.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank Bogdan C
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Me and my partner are 24 and stayed here from the 26/09/2011 to the 10/10/2011 the hotel is located on a lovely beach and the grounds and rooms are really nice. Me and my partner are not very fussy and think a place is what you make of it and normally stay in 3 to 5 stars places.
The weather reports were worrying us as they were reporting storms every day, it is safe to say do not go by these it was 32 to 40 and hot hot hot. At night there was sometimes storms but it was pretty to watch and the weather was not effected by them. I think it rained twice for 15 minutes so the weather was great.

The food in the hotel is really bad and the only place with shops etc is the plazma 5 minutes down the road which has a pizza hut only and costs 30 dollars for a pizza and two cokes. The buffet food made me ill for the first week and I even ended up on an IV drip and lots of tablets to take. The Edens restaurant is really good but you only get to eat there 3 nights a week so breakfast, lunch and the other dinners is hard to find something as eggs and meat etc are not cooked properly and there were dead insects on the trays :(

The staff is not very helpful, even down to being ill they would not allow food to the room instead made me go to buffet even though it meant I was sick each time in the seating area.

The locals come at the weekend from Friday to Sunday, it is a nightmare as the hotel can not cope with the amount of people, hot water runs out, food runs out and drinks even run out! They are nice but the make you feel very awkward and all the English etc end up staying on the beach or booking trips and edens dinner for the weekends, which in my mind is not really right.

All said though it was not the worse holiday due to the trips and the lovely beach but food and lack of entertainment on the complex was a major problem for us as we like to party and go for walks etc. The trips we did were the royal dolphin and sealion swim which was amazing, the buggys which was really good but they had no mirrors or brakes and you start off on a motor way lol, catamaran, bravissimo show, blue lagoon (don’t do it is 10 hours and 6 is on the coach)

Defiantly go to the Dominican but go to a 5 star hotel on a different resort  we will go back but not to here :)

Room Tip: do not choose this hotel pick a 5 star one
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Essex_ukDan1987_
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Booked Grand Paradise for a cheap and cheerful holiday and that's exactly what we got. Room was exactly as described. Had problem with water coming from A/C but it was quickly fixed. Good variety of food - people complain about the food but I felt that for a buffet they made a good effort to mix it up. Amazing view from the Hibicus buffet. Try and sit near the edge as it can be pretty hot in the centre of the restaurant.

Hotel staff were all friendly and accomodating, except one (there's always one!) Animation team were very entertaining and took the time to speak to everyone. It was your choice if you wanted to join in or not. Pink Panther of the team was great fun!

Be sure to take lots of high SPF sunscreen. I tan easily but found myself using the small tube of 45 SPF most of the time. $25+US to buy in the gift shop.

Also be sure to take plenty of small bills if you plan to tip regularly as we found it very difficult to get 20 and 50's broken down.

Got suckered in to the time share speech after playing a Coconut Game!!! Once we figured out what was going on I quickly told them we weren't intersted. The reps are deceiving as they wear brightly coloured shirts that say STAFF on them. The first few days they were an annoyance but after that they left us alone (I think they look for isn't tanned or burnt yet)! haha

To subsidize income in the off peak times, they let the Dominicans buy 1 or 2 night packages to stay over the weekend. Be prepared for a LOT of people and kids. They started arriving around noon on Friday and were gone by around 3pm on Sunday. We just stayed on the beach out of the way. May be a good idea to book one of your excursions for the weekend if possible.

We decided to do the Dune Buggy excursion and it was a great way to see the countryside and was great fun. Be sure to take shoes with straps or they will make you 'rent' water shoes at $2 US. They also recommended we purchase the bandanas for our face at $3 each and we were sure glad we did. You will get VERY muddy. Be sure to take eye protection too.

All in all we got our CHEAP AND CHEERFUL holiday.

Room Tip: We were in block 7 on the 3rd floor. A little extra for the Superior Oceanview room but well worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Halsam
Reviewed 20 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Playa Dorada in March 2011 and we did have a good time but we're disapointed with the service at the meals - the worse we have ever had - we always tip and it did not seem to matter. We travel to Cuba quite often and the service there is so much better and maybe we've been spoiled but this hotel was terrible. The staff were very disorganised - the tables were always missing cuttlery and dishes, the tablecloths were often stained and we always had to go look for coffee mugs in the morning and had to find the coffee urn, otherwise we would wait forever for coffee to be served. Usually at all hotels the morning coffee is served by the staff but not this place! They seemed to have enough staff but they were definitely untrained and confused. They would remove cutlery off other tables or tell us to do so when we asked for cutlery. Finally we complained to the manager and he agreed with us about the service - I know other clients had complained. He did have a meeting with them and the service improved somewhat but certainly not 100%

Also the timeshare vendors were the most annoying. It is unfortunate because you feel you cannot smile or look at anyone in case it's one of "them", otherwise you will be harassed and this is what I call it - it is harassment and very unsettling!

We did find the evening entertainment great at the Playa Dorada - loved the dancing music early evening and also loved the late-night barbq after the shows. This hotel has a lot going for it and we would like to go back and I hope the manager will be able to improve the buffet service and train the staff, they definitely need it. I will be checking reviews on the place and I hope others will let us know if it has improved - then we probably will try it again.

We do love the beach at the Playa Dorada and we like snorkelling which we can do right off the beach there. We find it the best beach for us in the Dominican Republic.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple