“Family of 4”

Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 21 February 2013

This January we took our two boys (7 & 3)on our first all inclusive family vacation. WE HAD A BLAST!!!
The food was good, the entertainment was good, the resort was wonderful and the staff was perfect. Manny one of the entertainment co-ordinators was very nice and was always trying to get the kids involved.
The buffet restaurant and the snack bar were great, the kids always found something they liked. Our dinner server that we had every night was Sheila (chella) and my youngest som took quite a shining to her....he still askes when are we going back to see Sheila. The manager Alcides was very nice and always checking on us. If I could remember everyones name I woud give them all recongnition here as they were all great. but Sheila was our Favorite. We met some great people who were also from Canada and have kept in touch with them. My husband says when we look for another vacation he would consider this one for sure!!
Another great thing was there is a kids pool but there is also a childrens section connected to the adult pool so you do not feel secluded!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Angela P
Write a ReviewReviews (3,291)

Reviewed 20 February 2013

We are having a marvellous time here. Everyone here is extremely friendly and helpful. I don't understand the adverse comments made, I think if you treat these very hard working people decently you will be reciprocated. This is our 4th time here at this hotel and would return again. The entertainment crew is marvellous, especially Happy Boy, who we have gotten to know quite well and enjoy his company.
Sylvia S

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sylvia S
Reviewed 19 February 2013

this is a little hotel, but the view at meal time is wow....My review is for the great help my hubby and I got.I took sick on the 5th day...7 am: doctor does not come to the room..so they decided to wheelchair me to the lobby and then a cab to the clinique...wow what service....Julio took charge...translating...advising and even came back to get us at the clinique after receiving very good care..Intravinus,antibiotic..and within 30 mins.wow thank you all.... lise trip feb.1 to 8 .2013

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 February 2013

My boyfriend and I went to this resort from Feb 2-9. I had mixed feelings after reading the reviews, but really, what the hell is the problem with people? Yes, it's not a 5 star, and yes, you don't get fancy little towels on your bed, but this place was just awesome for what we wanted. The beds were incredibly comfortable, rooms were spotless, lots of hot water, bottled water provided everyday, food was good. If you want luxury, then you need to go somewhere else!! The thing that stood out the most about this resort was the people working there!! I didn't find the front reception people overly warm, but the rest by far were fabulous people. Dalbin the Bell Boy was such a great help, Fausto - the night manager - awesome guy!! He even met us on his day off at an orphanage to hand out toys!! Bon Bon was the gal at the Pool area handing out towels - always giving out free hugs and a huge smile!! Rafael (the supervisor at the Buffet in the mornings) bent over backwards for you, so did Luis and Jesus. Ruth, the hostess and Denisse were great gals to talk to at the buffet. The Buffet is right at the beach - beautiful spot to eat everyday! There was a wide variety of foods and they had a different theme every night. The Mexican night was my favourite. I am an INCREDIBLY picky eater, and there was always something there for me to eat without having to live off of french fries. My guy was sick, however that was from too much sun/heat. Was our second last day and he over did it. But there were no issues with food, drinks, or otherwise!! We took in the Ocean World excursion, swam with the dolphins and sea lions - excellent excursion. Also did the "Boogie Bikes" which are really dune buggy's and boy, did we get plastered in mud!! But it was fun!! BEWARE - DO NOT BOOK EXCURSIONS THRU THE SHOP AT THE PLAYA DORADA PLAZA. We booked a morning in Sousa for snorkelling, being promised that the 70 dollars (US) for the two of us included all kinds of things, only to arrive and find out we had to fork out another 50 dollars US for a boat to take us out and you couldn't sit down on the beach chairs without paying for those too. We were picked up in this guy's private vehicle which had no exhaust, so the fumes were terrible. It was an AWFUL excursion - would have been so much better if we had have booked thru the resort!! So when your tour guide warns you about booking outside the resort - do yourself a favour and LISTEN TO THEM!!
This resort is an excellent value for the money. This was my third time to this complex, having stayed years ago at the Gran Ventana and the Flamenco (now Bavaro). This resort is right at the point, so you have the longest amount of sun and lots of room on the beach. Yes the vendors are constantly around, but just a firm no thank you and they move on. They are trying to make a living too. The vendors at the Orange Market can be pricey. This is a market just down the beach from the resort. The nightlife isn't all that exciting, so if your into the shows, you won't find over the top shows here. But there is always something going on! By far, I can say I was very happy here and would go back!

Room Tip: We booked a Superior Garden View room, and were given the third level of Building One with a great v...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Micheline R
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I was at Grand Paradise for 2 weeks from January 28th till Febuary 11th ...I have been going to this resort 2x a year for 6 years. The staff are mostly pleasent you will get the odd one that is a bit rude but you get that anywhere. The beach area is always kept clean. The main areas are being cared for everyday you will always see some kind of maintainance being done. The food is typical for the Carribian. My best advice for anyone travelling to any resort is to call ahead to the hotel atleast a week prior to arrival to confirm all your reservations are correct. As for this resort is you need 2 beds be sure you ask for a superior room..a standard room has 1 king bed. The rooms are up to date and very nice. ..People who write negative things about this hotel are likly people who have NEVER travelled south before and likly had high expectations. Just remeber its not the Ritz Carleton..I love Grandparadis and cant wait to go back in April... :)

Room Tip: Be sure if you need 2 beds that you book a superior room or you wil be stuck with a standard room wi...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends