BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$99
BlueBay
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$190
US$133
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$197
US$179
US$250
US$177
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$199/night.

Emotions by Hodelpa Playa Dorada(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$155
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$631
US$112
Hotels.com
US$245
US$192
BestDay.com
VH Atmosphere - Adults Only - All Inclusive(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$174
US$158
Tubagua Plantation Eco Lodge(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$50
3,664 results
All reviewsplaya doradaentertainment staffbeach vendorssnack barchickendominican republica la cartenightly entertainmentorange marketpicky eaterlobsterrecommend this resortgreat triphave a good timeno graciassmall resorthorseback riding
Reviewed 3 June 2004

Sweet, Sweet Deal!!!!! First time in Puerto Plata, and I would definetly return to both Puerto Plata and the Hotel.
We flew with Jetsgo, and I honestly have no complaints about the airline. I have had good and bad experiences with many
different airlines, you get your good flights and bad flights. The airport in Puerto Plata was great. We were literally out in 20 minutes. The drive to the hotel was 15 minutes. We arrived at the hotel at 1130a. Check in was very quick, and we received our room immediatly which was great. Our luggge was delivered within 15 minutes, and we got to enjoy a 1/2 day in the sun, which normally does not happen on your first day there. I went with just one friend, wasn't sure what the crowd was gonna be like down there, but we met a lot of great people. Shout outs to the GTA, England, Quebec and Kingston/Belleville.
The hotel staff was excellent, and I think a few people deserve some recognition. Alci and Jose were amazing bartenders, never making you wait, and the drinks were excellent. Grace and little Jonathon from the entertainment staff, always putting on a great show, and really down to earth people to talk to. Our maid...I'm sorry I cannot remember her name but it was really nice coming into the room and seeing my pj's and towels made into a duck. She also gave me a hug and a kiss and told me to have a safe trip. Who does that in North America???? And I can not forget Simon from the Sports bar, best espresso and cappucino, mmmmmm. The beach was gorgeous, pool was a little chilly, but who cares. Food was good. The A La Carte dinners were excellent. The buffet was good also, but got a little blah by the end of the week. Crazy Moon disco was alright, only ventured in 2 times, it was pretty dead on most nights, a shout out to DJ Chico, nice beats buddy. Most other nights we went to Hemmingways, cheap drinks and good music. I had read quite a few reviews about how some of the Dominican men can be a tad overwhelming and aggressive, whether it be at the bars or the vendors on the beach. All you have to do is say no and they leave you alone. As for shopping, other than Rum and Cigars the mall was quite expensive, but thats a given anywhere. The little market on Playa Dorada were great, everything was cheapie cheapie, lol...u got to know how to bargain though. One thing people have to keep in mind is that this is not a five star resort. When you are not paying for a five star, you should not expect one. As a travel agent, my standards are quite high in receiving satisfaction for the money I have paid. I believe that I received all that and more at this resort, and would definetly return back.

• Stayed: May 2004
3  Thank Peppina1
Reviewed 31 May 2004

Two friends and my self enjoyed the Paradise Beach Club from April 27th to May 3rd. My experience is quite different than many of the other reviews I have read. First of all I never heard of any of the rooms being over booked. The minute you walk into the hotel you are handed a drink, you receive your package and are led up to your room. Our room was clean and comfortable for the three of us. The only problem was the air conditioner and tub did leak a little. Our room was cleaned daily with fresh towels to come home too.

In one of the reviews I read, they stated that this is not the type of place for young singles, but when I was there we made up the majority of the tourists. There were some couples (older and younger) and we only saw about 10 children at one time. For the most part it was mainly college kids, mind you we did book the trip the week school ended for us. While there we met a person who had been to a few resorts in the Dominican and he felt that this one was a better choice for us young people.

The majority of the tourists were made up of Canadians and Europeans. We did not meet very many people from the United States.

As for the food and the service I felt it was excellent. The three of us did not experience any stomach problems with the food and we ate breakfast, lunch and supper daily. The waiters are very generous. It helps to be a female on the resort because you do get special treatment. The waiters however flirt with the tourists in a tasteful and respectful manner unlike the locals who are like a child in a candy store when near the tourists. Most of the staff are mainly men aside from the maids, hotel store clerks, and the nightly entertainment features.

The staff at this resort will do anything to please their guests. We had met friends while there who had a misunderstanding with the staff. When the staff realized they were in the wrong they provided my friends with a fruit basket and asked them if they had any requests. They were then allowed to make a second reservation at one of the restaurants
(Your are only allowed to make one reservation a week per restaurant, the rest is eaten at the buffet).

The excursions were decent. We went to Ocean World, which was a little pricy. One friend paid for a dolphin encounter, which cost her $75.00. It cost my friend and I $15.00 each to watch her. The price also included a tour through Ocean World to see the birds and sharks and fish. To actually swim with the dolphins (which only includes being pushed four feet by the dolphin) costs $120.00. We did however have a good time

A recommendation I would make is to visit the Sosua market. You bargain for souvenirs and it is quite an experience. We also enjoyed the activities provided in our all-inclusive package including horse back riding, water aerobics, and kayaking. The beach was beautiful and that is where we spent most of our time.

The nightly entertainment was excellent and ended a respectful time. All night entertainment ended promptly at 11:00 so those who wanted there sleep could get it. Although because of the large amount of young adults it could get a little noisy through out the buildings. As a person in my twenties, this was not a problem.

In conclusion the trip was great. There are so many beautiful people there. I would recommend this resort to any one especially those in their early twenties.

• Stayed: April 2004
10  Thank Jenae03201981
glasgow,scotland.uk
Reviewed 27 May 2004

My girlfriend and i have just returned from a two week holiday at the paradise. There is only one word i can think of to sum our time there is great. The staff, elvis, lucy, mario, allan, and the best of all the two WILLIES from glasgow
respect

Toronto, ON
Reviewed 21 May 2004

My wife and I decided to be spontaneous and go on a week vacation somewhere tropical and we got a really awesome deal for the Paradise beach club May 9-16.

Reading all of the reviews we were absolutely terrified and were not expecting anything when we got there. But we figured we will get what we paid for and that the break would be nice. We were VERY pleasantly surprised by what we found.

When we got there the lobby was beautiful and they served us really good fruit punch. We were warned by the site about the bad rooms so we talked to a really nice manager - Nauki - and we told her we just got married and she gave us an upgrade from a loft to a superior beachview room which was very nice.

The best thing about the room was the Latin MTV. The best drink there is the banana mamas if you are a pinacolada fan its basically the same thing with banana added and some grenadine - yum.

Being beach lovers and an outdoors type people we really enjoyed being able to walk down the beach on either side. To the right there is a beautiful shallow beach and some nice hotels. If you keeps walking off the the resort to the left there is a market place that is cheaper than buying things other places. Make sure you bargain with the people they usually expect you to bring them down to half of what they are asking. Also, we loved the kayaking that you could do there.

A lot of European people on the beach that are very comfortable not wearing their bathing suit tops. Ironically, a lot of the Canadians on our resort also went topless.

We went on the snorkeling trip. Very worth it. Don't buy the trips from your hotel person they will WAY overcharge you, buy it either from the beach or from the playa dorado plaza you can usually get it for $20 cheaper from them and you can also bargain them down as well.

Speaking of the playa dorado plaza it is also an awesome feature of the hotel. There is pizza hut there and lots of stores and hemingways which is a restaurant - don't order the lobster there. I think buying sunscreen etc. is cheaper in this plaza too. 5 minute walk from the hotel very safe.

We found we were able to book the restaurants as many times as we wanted if we talked to reception so we ended up at the a la cartes almost every night other then 2.

We met a nice couple of people from our flight that we spent our vacation with and that made it a lot more memorable too.

On a more critical note, our air conditioning did leak and we had to get that fixed but the manager was so cool about it and called to make sure they fixed it. Also, our toilet did not flush very well but they also took care of that fast. I loved the high ceilings and the place was so clean. They would clean the beach and pool area every day constantly.

The buffet was very good. Usually I don't eat meat when I go away on vacation and stick to the safer foods but I ate all the meat on this one and did not get sick once. Great pasteries and coffee by the way. Got a lot of use of that on the one whole day that it rained. You will be astounded though by the many different ways that they try to pass off banana: fried banana, mashed banana, stewed banana, pureed banana, mature banana . . . I can't say that I tried those!

We highly recommend this place, we had a great time.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2004

I recently vacationed at Paradise Beach Resort in Puerto Plata, D.R. AND was disappointed by my stay. I had no qualms about revisiting Puerto Plata as I had stayed at Fun Royale - Carribean Village 8 years ago with my family and enjoyed the stay and the hotel and the Dominicans were very friendly. This time however I was extremely disappointed. The bedsheets were usually damp and my friend kept getting bites on her body from something in the bed. We all got bites - I'm not sure what they were - could be sand fleas or cat fleas. My daughters room had a disgusting musty smell - there was no way I could sleep in that. She had a terrible time in that room due to the dampness and the smell. As a matter of fact, she slept 2 nights in my twin bed in my room with me - a little uncomfortable for us both. Our clothes were also damp in the rooms. What really ruined the trip was when my daughter got sick. She is pretty sure it was from Eden's snack bar in the afternoon. She had a sandwich with mayonaisse and then got violently sick - throwing up and diarreah. She was admitted to the hospital for 2 days and is still taking Nexium for another week. I know I can't possibly prove this, but I would ask that you please be very careful when eating mayonaisse as the bacteria multiplies very rapidly. I shudder to think what it would be like for a young person to be vacationing far away from home and to be rushed to a hospital in severe pain to where most of the people do not speak English. We were also told that if you make any purchases in U.S. funds your change will also be in U.S. funds. However, this is not the case and it was also a bit of a hassle to take traveller's cheques. The cats running around the hotel was awful. At night you could hear them mating very loudly. I am a lover of cats and have one myself but this was ridiculous - going to a resort and there are cats all over the place. Some people are terrified of cats.For my opinion, this hotel is only a 3 star. On a more positive note - the staff was very friendly and helpful especially the dinner/drink areas. They always had a smile even though they were working very hard.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member