“Fun times”

Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 9 March 2007

My girlfriend and I had tons of fun at this resort. It is probably the oldest resort in Puerto Plata, and you can tell. The rooms are outdated (Just like most of the hotels in third world countries). This didn't affect our trip in the least. The room was always clean, and the staff were always friendly and accomodating. The two beaches are gorgeous, and there are tons of fish swimming around the reefs in front of the resort, so the snorkling is pretty fun. The food was good. Of course, the dominican republic is a third world country, and this isn't a 5 star resort, so don't expect gourmet 12 course meals, but my girlfriend and I always found something in the buffet we liked to eat, and we were never left hungry. The drinks are good. If they are too weak; instead of complaining about it on a website, just tell them to add more alcohol next time, if they are too strong, then them to add less. Simple. The bartenders are great, and also very accomodating. There are a few stray dogs and cats on the resort, but they didn't bother me in the least. They aren't the least bit dangerous, and they are pretty cute actually. There are tons of stray dogs and cats all over the Dominican, so this resort certainly isn't the only resort with this problem. The entertainment was really good on certain nights, and lacking on other nights, but after visiting plenty of other all inclusives, this is pretty much par for the course. There are rooms that you have to use a spiral staircase to get to, however these are the bargain rooms, and they are by far the cheapest rooms in Puerto Plata. If you pay a few extra bucks when you book your trip, you can get a much nicer room. If you can't afford to do that, then maybe you should be going to Puerto Vallarta, which is much less expensive instead of the dominican republic. The casino is corrupt. I didn't even step foot into it once, but honestly, if you want to spend your holiday gambling, you should go to Vegas instead of the dominican. There are too many fun things to see and do outside in Puerto plata, why confine yourself to the casino?

10  Thank Calgary-2007
Write a ReviewReviews (3,308)

Reviewed 8 March 2007

I’ve been to Paradise Beach Resort from the 17th of Feb till 1ste of March 2007. Checking reviews before I got worried where I would end up. I must say I went with a friend as two 24 year olds just relaxing from our busy jobs. That was it!! All we expected was to relax and completely be gone for a short while. That is exactly what we got! The Dominican Republic is a poor country so leave your Western expectations at home and you will be surprised! The food is good (it is not five star but nobody promised you that!), best beach of all resorts (big and clean), nice location (near shopping center and bars), great facilities (shop, bank and fast internet is available for $5 per hour), all inclusive means all inclusive (towel service, beer, cocktails, snack, beach, pool, tennis, sunset and disco) and friendly people! The staff is great they work there [--] off to make sure you have a good time!

The complex and the rooms are not very fancy furnished but the beds are great and it is clean (housekeeping everyday). Tv with cable, air conditioning and a bathtub are standard in every room.

Playa Dorada is a bit isolated from the rest of the country, taxi will rip you off and renting a car is not recommended. Tours are the answer but will cost between 40 and 140 US dollar (most of them $ 80 for a day). The playa is save but again the rest of the country is poor so be prepared for some pain in the (spoiled) [--] stalkers (a.k.a hard working men trying to make a living for there family)

Driving from the Airport to the complex I got ashamed of my wealth. When you are drinking your all inclusive beer remember to count you blessings instead of complain. No sea view is not the end of the world people!

7  Thank zaander82
Reviewed 6 March 2007

Just wanted to say that it's not as bad as a lot of people say, sure the rooms are a little old but if you upgrade to the superior or junior suite from booking it's definitely better (they will charge more for an upgrade there), plus you really don't spend a lot of time in the rooms. I went with my 2 kids and we had a great time the beach is gorgeous and the pool is clean, we enjoyed both.
The food is good, a little repetitive but none of us got sick, and Eden is definitely better than Michalangelo's. The entertainment is good we had fun and people are right about the casino, they are just a bunch of crooks I listened to the reviews and didn't play but sitting in there for a show 1 night you could see how there were staff there to pose as players so just stay away.
All in all we had an enjoyable vacation and would go back there if I wanted another cheap vacation that I knew i would enjoy. So if you're just going to relax and have fun and want a cheap vacation go here.

3  Thank sunshine4uToronto
Reviewed 28 February 2007

I would not recommend anyone to go there. PERIOD, here is why:
Old room furniture, rooms are too dark, burned out light bulbs, leaky toilet tank, broken toilet, shower faucets never got any maintenance done for years, could not mix hot and cold water "the civilized way", room towels not changed on time, we were told they run out, we had a phone set without a cable to wall plug, windows without screens, no couch or chairs in our room, Building needs painting, buldings are too old and should not be used as "resort for vacationers", TV set from the 80's, no remote, poor TV reception, all room electrical cables are dangerously spliced, keep your children away from them, the whole bathroom leaks when we take a shower, our fridge was missing from our room, Not enough beach chairs, not enough dining chairs or tables, long line-up to the buffet, run out of plates, utencils, napkins, soup bowls, COLD coffee, third rate food service, waiters lean over you while serving others on your table, average food, strayed cats and dogs near our food and on the beach, I can't think about what the kitchen looks like, griilled fish looked like mashed potatoes, both A la cart are not classy. Lobby under staffed and they are always on the phone, tropical plants poorly groomed and full of cats, CASINO is a real mess, machines are designed to be broken when you get closer to a win, even a small $50 win, suddenly the machine stops, poker tables....don't even get close to them.
Why pay over US $7 for a drink at an All inclusive, poor entertainment each night, lazy staff evrywhere but they smile, they are not lazy taking your tips "they seemed underpaid and needed our help anyway, so we tipped them well", beach is wide and nice. If you need more - ardill28@yahoo.com.
If you still want to go, go but don't say we did not warn you. I paid a five star rate for this resort and got a no star value "This is our third trip to the Dominican and my sixth trip to the Caribian, the WORST".

15  Thank Ardill
Reviewed 15 February 2007

In answer to some of the comments about Paradise Beach, yes it is old, in fact it's one of the oldest on the island. My friend and I (we are recent widows) decided to try it, looking for something budget-wise. Our room was really the only thing we could put in a negative light., it was old and very basic and we will get one with a balcony next time. We have both travelled extensively with our spouses in past years. The entertainment was the best we have experienced, the dancers magnificent. Yes they try to get people to join in, and we did, but that's what a holiday is all about. You can always say no, and just sit and watch others make a fool of themselves for your enjoyment. We thought the staff & the food was ideal, considering some of the other places (4+) we have been. The beach was long and kept clean, (they had staff cleaning up lazy people's mess each day) People we met had children with them and had no complaints about the food. It depends on what your children are used to. Remember this is an island resort, did you really expect it to have McDonald's, Wendy's etc. You can get that in Canada. That's the whole point of going to a different country, to experience the different culture. One thing we were upset about was, ( and we are Canadian) the behaviour of a young baseball team from Canada, pushing and shoving each other into the pool, extremely drunk, swearing, and shouting which resulted in the children having to come out. and one of their crowd getting injured. Where was their coach, manager or chaperone, when security had to intervene and warn them. It was embarrassing to say we were Canadians. On an upnote, we heard that it is slated for reconstruction later this year.

6  Thank ladikadi