“Relaxing”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Wallasey, United Kingdom
“Relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Food absolutely fantastic in main reataurant. Not so fantastic on speciality restaurants.
Pool awkward to get in and out of unless using thewater polo area. Cockroaches in the room which were fumigated but bugs returned 48 hours later. Evening entertainment of a generally high standard. Spirits generally undrinkable, whisky tasted like aftershave
The staff in all depts were very friendly and helpfull
The gym was a proper gym, much better than other hotel gyms.
Surprised that we had to pay 2 $ per day for the safe, very disappointing.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank ian p
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
Dear Mr. Ian,
First at all I would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Costa Dorada for your holiday vacations and for writing a comment on Tripadvisor about your experience.
In the name of Ms. María Berbel, Hotel Manager, and her team, we want to express how satisfied we are to read you had a relaxing experience in our hotel premises and facilities in spite of the inconveniences related to drinks quality and flavor. We appreciate your positive valuation about the kindness of our staff and the varied gastronomy. Those are part of our commitments as Iberostar Hotels and Resorts.
We are looking forward to welcome you back. Please feel free to contact us before your arrival,
With kindest regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,229)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I have nothing but positive things to say about this resort. I stayed here for a week with my boyfriend last November and we had a great time.

The resort was very clean and well maintained. Had beautiful sitting areas such as the lobby, the area where the nightly shows happened and the pool area. Beautiful grounds!

Rooms: We had a great a regular room; there was plenty of space and there was even a sitting space with table and sofas. The bed was huge, much larger than a regular king size bed. We had a balcony that faced the pool which made for a very nice view both in the daytime and night time. Maids did a good job cleaning our room. Nothing at all to complain about in regards to our room. Clean, large and updated.

Food: We loved the food here and loved the mexican a la carte restaurant. Only negative thing to say about that food was that the lunches were quite repetitive but with that being said there was always something good to eat. They have nightly themes in the main buffet restaurant with themes such as Chinese. The staff at the restaurants and buffets were very attentative, always making sure we were content and okay for drinks.

Staff: Lots of nice staff working at this resort, very friendly with lots of smiling faces. The one negative thing i found was that certain bar staff that seemed like it was a chore to serve you even if you were tipping. However for the most part, the entertainment staff, cleaning ladies, front desk were nothing but helpful.
Another great item that the iberostar had to offer was their photo service. My boyfriend and I decided to get photos done one day by photographer Sandy and he did a great job and they were quite affordable to purchase. A great keepsake for our vacation.

Beach: The beach was huge and always plenty of chairs. We never had trouble finding chairs and an hut umbrella spot. As this was my first time to DR the one thing that i did not like was the people selling items on the beach always waving at you and constantly asking if you wanted to buy this or that. Plenty of room, white sand, and nothing but sun.

Nightly shows: The nightly shows at this resort were much better than most of the other places I have stayed. Loved the Mr. Iberostar and Mrs. Iberostar nights as well as Karoke. We always looked forward to the shows and enjoyed them.

Overall, we had a great stay at this resort. We were looking for a fairly cheap getaway and that's exactly what we got. If you are looking to party and drink yourself crazy this is probably not the place for you. I would highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Lauren10122
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear Mrs. Lisa,
Thank you for choosing Iberostar Costa Dorada for your first visit to the Dominican Republic and for posting your experience in Tripadivsor.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Ms. María Berbel and her team, we want to express you how satisfied we are to read that you had an excellent holidays. The beauty and cleanness of our premises and facilities, the varied gastronomy served in our three specialty restaurants and nightly themed buffet, and the friendliness of our staff members are our best value in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts. We are very pleased to read that you appreciated positively our effort in these areas.
We hope to welcome you back again, please contact us to help you enjoy your next visit.
Yours Sincerely,
new haven, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

The Costa Dorada is a beautiful well maintained property. The staff is wounderful always with a smile and hola. My wife and I made some good freinds. We hope to go back again but next time for a little longer. The food was excellent alway plenty of diffrent items to pick from. The entertainment they had set for every night was a lot of fun. The only problem we had was my wife couldn't get a diet coke anywere and I couldn't find a guinness anywere. Other then that it was GREAT!

Room Tip: Rooms in Building 5 are next to the dive shop and very quite.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear guest 57robertg,
I would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel as the destination for your vacations, also for taking the time to post a review about your stay among us. In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mrs. Maria Berbel and her team, I would like to express how pleased we are to hear that you had enjoyed a relaxing holiday in our hotel premises and facilities thanks to our varied gastronomy and the service provided by our employees. Those are very important aspects of our commitments. We are happy to hear that you valued them positively.
We are looking forward to welcome you back soon, please do not hesitate to contact us in advanced to further assistance in your next visit.
With regards,
Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

From the moment we arrived at ICD we were well looked after, check-in was smooth, bell boy took our luggage to the room. We were in Block 1 which is close to the pool and beach, room was nice and we had a view of the pool. There was always plenty of hot water too. Our mini bar was re-filled everyday with water, beer and soft drinks.

We travelled with our 4 year old son, who unfortunately came down with Chicken Pox on our first morning, so our first week was spent staying away from people.

The beach is nice, water was warm, plenty of space and shade if needed.

The buffet restaurant food was lovely, the mexican night was the best. They have different "cooking stations" where you can have various meals freshly cooked for you. There is even a kids station, with freshly made pizza and pasta.

For breakfast I would recommend getting there before 9am, we had a few occasions where we turned up at 9.20am and it was hard to find a clean or made up table. Breakfast here is served until 10am. If you are a late riser, there is "2nd" breakfast at the snack bar, served from 10am onwards.

We didn't try the al a carte restaurants because the buffet was so good.

As our child was poorly, he missed out on the kids club until almost the end of the holiday, the entertainment staff were great. After the children's evening show, they get the chance to run around in the route 66 club.

Lobby bar is the best for drinks, free flowing champagne, top quality drinks, make sure you ask for a "Gordons & Tonic" or "Smirnoff & Diet Coke" otherwise you'll just get local spirits. You can sit here and watch the flamingos. There is also a large court yard if you fancy a drink in the sun.

Everyone here was really so friendly, nothing was too much trouble. Our sons bed was missing from the room when we arrived and within 5 minutes of telling reception, his bed arrived! Also, when our son locked us out of the safe, security arrived straight away to open it. It costs $2 a day to rent the safe, I would recommend this as the lock to the balcony door was a bit loose.

There is a shop on site, selling souvenirs, cigars, etc and a lovely clothes shop. I bought a beautiful white linen dress.

We took a taxi trip down to the Plaza which cost $14 return, again more shops and was a change of scenery.

There is WIFI throughout the hotel except in the buffet restaurant, it's $13 for 24 hours, $40 for 4 days and $60 for 7 days, well worth doing to keep in touch with family.

I loved the live music at lunch time and evening, they are all so talented.

Great holiday, very friendly staff, great for kids, shame our little man was ill.

YES, we would go again!

Room Tip: Block 1 - front facing, sea view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank EmmaFoy
Dear Mrs. Emma,
In the name of the Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel Manager, Mrs. María Berbel, I want to thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay and for choosing our hotel for your family vacations.
We are very happy to read you had a wonderful holiday despite the fact that you son was ill in the second day of your holidays. We hope that we got better. In Iberostar on of our guiding principles is to provide the best service through the friendliness and help from our staff members. We want to ensure a memorable holiday to all our beloved guests starting by the youngest.
We look forward to welcome you again, and please contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.
Yours Sincerely,
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I have never written a review before but felt that I needed to as I am amazed by the difference in opinions for this resort. I traveled to this resort as a last minute march break vacation and for the price it was a great option....would I choose again as a vacation destination....no. The resort itself is very lovely, clean and well maintained. One of the things that I really did appreciate about this resort was the fact that you never had to worry about getting a lounge chair...unlike many other resorts I've been to where it becomes a game of going down early to save with towels...this not the case and there are many options for the beach or pool. The pool is lovely, unfortunately the ocean is quite rough with rocky coral and a lot of seaweed, making it very difficult to swim in. The food at this resort was also good as there was good variety and tasted okay but my travel companion and I pretty much ate the exact same foods everyday......most days and service were the same foods. It is unfortunate with the good that this resort has going for it that they seem to have forgotten to focus on service...I am amazed at those that state otherwise as after talking to many the same concerns were raised. If you are looking to EVER get served a drink this is probably not the place for you. In my entire 7 days there I could probably count on my fingers the amount of times I was served a drink somewhere other than the restaurants. This would not have been so bad if the drinks were easily accessible when lounging by the pool. The pool is large and lovely, however the problem is that if you were at the far end you would have to walk the entire length and slightly enter the restaurant in order to get a drink....which most of the time was not worth the wait anyway...I would recommend sticking to beer, wine and coffee. The frozen drinks quite often were not frozen and the alcohol added was usually a splash. Aside from no pool or beach service quite often the bar staff seemed annoyed when serving you which was unusual....although I will add some were definitely better than others. The front desk staff were not consistent either. On our first day we checked in late in the evening and discovered that our fan was broken, the door to balcony were broken and a drawer was broken....since you only get two this was important. We decided to live with it and talk to the desk in the morning. When we did we were presented with a huff and "well did you report it?". After dealing with an very unfriendly staff we later went back and were accommodated by Jorge who was probably one of the best staff we met all week. I do agree that the activity staff were all very funny and engaging but having to say no to a million activities all week and actually being pulled up off chair got to be a bit much...although I do realize that some people enjoy that kind of thing. The other part of service that is disappointing is the fact that there is no room service....this means in order to get your food you always have to go into one of the restaurants and eat there...you cannot take food with you....they will stop you!
I think this resort needs to spend less time writing rules (you get a sheet when you arrive) and more time improving their customer service.

Room Tip: People have commented that the pool view rooms are noisy but we did not find this the case and the v...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Angela B
Dear Mr. Angela,
In the name of the Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel Manager, Ms. María Berbel, I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel to enjoy your spring break and for taking the time to write some comments about your visit.
We are very concerned to read that despite the good quality of our gastronomy and the beauty of our grounds, our staff members could not ensure you a wonderful and memorable stay. In Iberostar we aim to provide the best service to our beloved guests. Our philosophy of work is to please all requests and needs from our guests. Iberostar is very well known to make feel our guests as “stars” during the holiday. We are deeply sorry to read that your experience was not related to our strengths.
I have sent your comments to our Manager team. I assure you that we are working harder in this area.
We kindly ask you to give us the chance to show you our improvements; please contact us before your arrival, we will be more than glad to assist you.
With regards,