6,446 results
All reviews blue bay alfredo spa pool beach bar the oriental restaurant animation team jade garden teddy bear el dorado steak restaurant seafood the grill chateaubriand a la carte restaurants an adults only resort time share beach vendors
Reviewed 18 October 2018

The standard room does not have balcany's so if your not on the lower ground floor sitting outside your room is not available. You will need to upgrade if available.
There are vacationers that stay long term, some for months. The others are returning year after year, for they have bought some type of package with circle one. These are the folks that come up to you around the pool or beach, just a polite "no" they leave and remember you as not wanting to particpate (or you might be interested)
The long term residents are the down fall of this resort. They take liberties that are hard to control. The towel game is a nightmare. You are left with the poorest, chairs, location around the big pool because you can forget about using the small pool. Including the chair outside the spa not only does the lady leave her towel on the chair but a book to mark her territory. All available spots in the small pool area will be claimed by only towels. Perhaps staff could collect these and forcing convices to pay a fine to get these towels back.
You will find lots of chairs around the big pool, and a place to sit inspite of the squaters as well as the beach.
The beach is golden sand, calm waters in the morning. There is Police, we seen, for your protection at the end of the resort areas. You can get massage, pedicure, souvenirs on the beach, for a small fee, how ever these people do not belong to the resort.
If you talk to the long term or returning vacationers they will give you tips on what costs you can expect to pay the taxes out front. We took these guys to Porta Plata it was safe, informative, and came back with souvenirs.
Staff will make your time here relaxing and fun. The rooms are kept clean. The food is very good and I never see shortages. The store (were you pickup towels) has cigars with compable prices at the market 5 min. walk or 2 min horse buggy ride.

Room tip: We stayed near the swamp away from entertainment, near wild life, large balcony.
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Westrun
FRANCISCOD3087, Public Relations Manager at BlueBay Villas Doradas, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2018

Dear, Westrum

We thank you so much for having selected BlueBay Villas Doradas to spend your holidays.

On behalf of the entire staff of our hotel we want to thank you for sharing your comments and highlight each point of improvement we are working hard to increase our service quality in order to offer a service that exceeds the expectations of our customers. At the same time we want to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay.

We consider your comments as a good opportunity of improvement.

Our expectation is to have our entire customer back to the resort every year for that reason working on the customer’s reviews and solve is very important for us.

Francisco Diaz
Guest Service Manager.

Reviewed 17 October 2018 via mobile

The BlueBay is a real relaxed place, the perfect thing for being there as a couple, but as well for single travelors. Especially the animation team (e.g. Pedro) were really dedicated, even if there were not that many people in the club. But very cool shows and nice guys anyways. :-)

Trip type: Travelled solo
FRANCISCOD3087, Public Relations Manager at BlueBay Villas Doradas, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2018

Dear Customer.

Thank you so mucho for coming to BlueBay Villas Doradas and sharing your positive experience.

It’s a great pleasure for us to read your positive review about us and highlight the great work of our Staff and point of improvement, we always work very hard in order to exceed our customers’ expectations however it would not be possible to get it without our good employees.

We hope you come back soon.

Thank you again for your good review.

Reviewed 16 October 2018

My boyfriend and I recently returned from Puerto Plata and stayed at the Blue Bay Villas for 5 days and four nights. Neither of us are high maintenance people but this was not an enjoyable stay by any means of the imagination. I will never come here again and would not recommend this hotel to anybody. I really wonder if all the positive reviews on here are fake because Blue Bay did not live up to my expectations.

1. FOOD IS TERRIBLE. I can eat almost anything and struggled to eat here. The seafood and steakhouse restaurants were especially bad and basically tasted like what they had on the buffet. There was very little variety at the buffet and the meals basically repeated themselves. The best night was Dominican night (which was to be expected) all the other food was surprisingly bad/mediocre. The resort advertises food as being available 24hrs If you missed breakfast which ended at 10:30 you had to wait around until 12:30 for food to be served for lunch or at the breakfast bar. There were times that I was really hungry and this should never happen on vacation! We had to walk to the mall to eat at the restaurants there several nights because the food at the resort was so bad and we were so hungry.

2. OUTDATED ROOMS. Resort is clean and taken care of but dated, the whole resort could seriously use from modernization. In the room lights dont work, paint chipping off, old rugs, etc...

3. SUB PAR ENTERTAINMENT. The resort is BORING. If you like sleeping all day at the beach then going to bed at 10pm then this is the place for you. However if you are used to going out partying having fun this is definitely NOT the place for you. Thankfully we went off the resort to Clubber and Kviar and had alot of fun. The resort usually is dead by 11/12 am the "party" on the beach is a joke and the entertainment is either juvenile or boring.

4. NO WIFI. In 2018 Wifi should not cost $25 for 25hrs PER DEVICE. Yes that is the price. This is just shameful I have stayed in resorts all over the world and there is nothing that justifies this fee. There is free wifi in restaurants all over the city and yet at the resort they are charging outrages prices for what is standard everywhere else. As part of our platinum package we had 10hrs of wifi every 3 days and the wifi wasnt even strong the whole thing was just a mess.

5. CONSTANT UPSELLING. Every where you go on this resort, someone is coming up to you trying to sell you something and will not go away!. Photographer selling pictures, the hawkers on the beach, even the people in the spa when we were trying to work out! The circle one rep -"Happy" constantly followed us around for the first few days and would not take no for an answer it was extremely annoying. I do not understand the purpose of paying hundreds of dollarrs to go on vacation just for someone to try and sell you a package you dont want. If people are trying to relax why is this going on. From the time we landed I knew that this was going to be a difficult trip. A porter took our bags without asking and proceeded to drag us to a lifystyles booth at the airport. There a guy at the booth proceeded to lie and tell us that he was a rep from blue bay and would be arranging out transportation to the hotel this was an obvious lie and they only wanted to sign us up for a time share presentation. The most annoying this is that the held us hostage for like 15 mins and wouldnt let us grab our bags until i started raising my voice. After sharing this experience with Happy and telling him that we were NOT interested in timeshare he tried to do thee same thing?!!!!!

6. TERRIBLE GYM. My goodness - the state of the gym is abysmal if you are expecting to work out do not come here. Its dirty there was no water when we tried it the first day. NO AC. There is one treadmill, one bike, and an elliptical.

7. PRICE GAUGING . DO NOT BOOK EXCURSIONS OR A TAXI FROM THE HOTEL. the prices they quoted us were terrible. For example - at the front desk we were told that a trip to Sosua round trip is $75 (mind you, sosua is 15-20 mins away) we were able to book an uber for $32 round trip.....!!!!!!! The people at the hotel were NOT HAPPY that we booked our own excursions and used uber to get around. They attempted to BLOCK our uber from picking us up from the hotel so we had to walk down the street a few times to pick it up.

8. BAD DRINKS. With the exception of the lobby bar the drinks at the other bars were terrible terrible terrible. No care was put into what was made and as a result the drinks tasted very bad. We had a platinum upgrade and it was very worth it to be able to drink good liquor and well made drinks from actual glasses and not plastic cups. Included in the platinum package are Jose Cuervo, Stoli, Absolut, Barcelo, Brugal, and alot more its definitely worth it. I will say that the female bartended at the platinum bar is not very nice unless you are a European/American male tourist who is trying to flirt with her.

9. NOT A GOOD LOCATION. Playa Dorada is very safe but it really feels like jail there is nothing to do there and the resort tries and keeps you locked in or tries to control/influence where you are going and what you are doing, it is very uncomfortable.

CONCLUSION. DO NOT STAY HERE, go to iberostar so you can go clubbing at KVIAR it is a really fun club with hookah cheap drinks etc... Bluebay is NOT IT.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank OfficialOLAADE

Dear Costumer.

On behalf of the entire staff of our hotel we want to apologize for all the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay.

We consider your comments as a good opportunity of improvement, our expectation is to have our entire customer back to the resort every year for that reason working on the customer’s reviews and solve is very important for us. So we share all the reviews with our executives staff in order to correct and prevents situations.

Best regards,

Atención al Cliente

Reviewed 16 October 2018 via mobile

I would give this resort a 3.5 out of 5.

Overall, I had a good experience however my lack of stars come from the outdated rooms that need to be modernized. In addition to that, one of the most annoying things was the overly persistent vendors at the beach who didn’t take “NO” for an answer - even after you’ve declined more than two or three times. I was saddened by this because I couldn’t enjoy the “private beach” at all without someone coming over trying to sell me something. Very uncomfortable!

When it comes to customer service, they get a 5/5 from me. Dining staff members like Miguel (who makes great sangria), Anjelo and Elvin were AMAZING! Also, Alfredo was the sweetest and very entertaining. These men were like family for 5 days and I was sad to leave.

Good resort that I would recommend but mostly because of the hospitality!

Trip type: Travelled with family
FRANCISCOD3087, Public Relations Manager at BlueBay Villas Doradas, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2018

Dear Customer.

Thank you so mucho for coming to BlueBay Villas Doradas and sharing your experience.

It’s a great pleasure for us to read your review about us and highlight the great work of our Staff and point of improvement, we always work very hard in order to exceed our customers’ expectations however it would not be possible to get it without our good employees.

At the same time, we want to apology for the issues you have experienced and please be informed that your review will be take in account order to take action about it.

One more time thank you for your review.

Best regards,

Reviewed 15 October 2018

If you're looking for a quiet, adults-only resort that's small and secluded, then this is the place for you. My boyfriend and I had such an amazing time at Blue Bay. We wanted nothing more than to relax on the beach, read, and take in the sun. And that's exactly what we were able to do at Blue Bay Villas Doradas.

We booked our trip through Air Transat, so transportation from the airport was included. The bust trip was about 20 minutes to the hotel. Check-in was a breeze. If you want to use the safe in your room, you have to request a key card to activate it. Ours didn't work initially when we arrived late on a Friday night, but they were more than happy to help us first thing the next morning and we had a functional safe for the rest of the trip.

We requested a premium room in order to have a balcony so we could try and dry towels and bathing suits at night (which usually didn't work since it rained most evenings --oops), but it was nice to have the extra space. The room was kept clean with plenty of towels and extra bottles of water upon request (at no extra cost, just leave the maid a note and she'll drop extra for you!). The AC worked perfectly -- and was even a bit TOO cold on some nights!

The grounds of Blue Bay Villas Doradas are kept clean and well-groomed, and the pools are pristine and free of sand and debris.

Our daily schedule included a morning at the beach, then a slow transition to the pool (pool bar) to close out the afternoon before we prepped for our evening dinner etc.

The beach is small, but well-kept and there are plenty of lounge chairs and even lounge beds to choose from. We never felt like we had to fight for space on the beach. And there is a 24hr beach bar there, as well, which is also a snack bar during the day and late at night. The disco also happens at the beach bar on Friday and Saturday night. The music is good, and there is always some entertaining dancing going on, as well!

The staff at Blue Bay are fabulous. Always smiling, always helpful. And the entertainers (Alfredo!) are so full of energy and life.

The pool bar area usually has music playing during the day, but it's not oboxious or overly loud. And if you don't want it directly in your ears, there is a secondary pool where you can escape to the lounge beds for a bit more peace and quiet. The beach bar also tends to have music playing during the day, but it's lounge/chill and hardly intrusive. The sound of the ocean is often louder.

While on the beach, you will be approached by vendors. From paintings to massages to jet-ski rentals, they will ask you all day and often. Just politely decline and they will move on. They don't pressure or harass. Remember, they're just trying to feed themselves and their families just like we do at home when we work.

Since we went during "hurricane" season, our weather wasn't 100% perfect, however, every day we had sunshine in the morning, cloud cover in the afternoon and it only ever rained at night, which was perfect. And we even had a few full-sun, no-cloud days. And my GOD was it ever hot!

Blue Bay is located on a beach cove surrounded by coral reefs, so it's fairly calm on most days. However, due to the storms elsewhere we had a few days of higher winds come midday, and there was always a swell in the water. But it wasn't dangerous and we were always able to swim in the ocean.

There is also a pay-bar in the main lobby with top-shelf alcohol should you so desire, but we found the all-inclusive alcohol to be sufficient. Note that not all bars are equipped with lime or all ingredients (the bar beside the entertainment area CAN make mojitos, the others can't).

Speaking of entertainment: The crew is fabulous. Great routines, great costumes, and great enthusiasm. They involve the crowd when they can, and they keep the energy high! We thoroughly enjoyed watching the nightly shows/entertainment.

While we booked the 3 a la carte restaurants, we actually only went to one booking. Since I'm a vegetarian, my choices are often limited. We discovered that the grille restaurant (beside the beach bar) only offers grilled vegetable as a vegetarian option, and I'd already had that meal our first night as a special welcome BBQ from Air Transat. The seafood restaurant was quite good though, and we skipped the Jade Palace booking for fear it would be all meat options with nothing for me.

The buffet always offered up a solid selection of meats/fish/veggies and there is even a healthy corner where you'll find steamed veggies, steamed fish, and healthier alternatives to the main selection.

There is a spa area with a supremely quiet pool for those who really want to be away from it all. You'll also find a nicely equipped gym there, as well. While the boyfriend and I brought all our workout gear, we opted to relax instead of work out, however, he often spotted people in there while he went to collect our morning coffees and bring them back to the room.

There is WiFi at the resort, but it will cost you. I found the best deal to be $25USD for 25 hours of online service. It tracks your time online so as long as you remember to turn off your wifi as soon as you're done using it, you could easily get away with only that for the entire week. In fact, by the time I got to day 5 I still had 22 hours of time left .... but then I wasn't there to look at my phone so I was barely on it. Can't say the same for most other people there tho ..... but that's another topic!

There's also a well-stocked library of books by the entertainment area. I finished my book midway through the trip, so I did a little switcheroo. I left my book there, and took on that had been left. There are A LOT of books in Swedish and German, but a good deal in English, too.

The day we left, our bus to the airport wasn't heading out till 5:20pm, but we had to check out by noon. So, we were able to spend the day on the beach with our bags in a check room, then at 4pm we were given keys to a room to use to shower and get changed for the airport. All very civilized.

All in all, Blue Bay Villas Doradas was the ideal escape for my boyfriend and I. We realy wanted nothing more than to relax (no excursions, no heavy partying), and this resort offered us exactly that. Stunning grounds, small resort layout (everything was a 2-5 min walk from our room), with a calm adult clientele, we'd definitely consider going back to Blue Bay in the future.

Room tip: Opting for a premium room gets you a balcony, not necessarily with a view though.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
8  Thank MsMiranda
FRANCISCOD3087, Public Relations Manager at BlueBay Villas Doradas, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2018

Dear Miranda

On behalf of the entire staff of our hotel we want to thank you for sharing your comments and highlight each point of improvement and good things experienced, we are working hard to increase our service quality in order to offer a service that exceeds the expectations of our customers. At the same time we want to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay.
We consider your comments as a good opportunity of improvement..

Thank you once again for your review.