“Iguana mama tour ”
Review of 27 Charcos

27 Charcos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

27 waterfalls was our favorite part of the trip. We used the tour company iguana mama and they were wonderful! It was beautiful and we loved every minute. I suggest being in shape and wearing appropriate clothes for hiking while being wet. I wish we would have had a go pro or paid for the photographer, otherwise I wouldn’t have asked for anything else.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,911)
All reviews
"iguana mama"
in 51 reviews
"long hike"
in 44 reviews
"helmets and life jackets"
in 23 reviews
in 22 reviews
"afraid of heights"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Our family of 5 took this tour through Iguana Mama and was very pleased with their attention to our safety and our enjoyment. We opted for the shorter hike taking us to the lower 12 waterfalls. I am out of shape and with the hike up along rocky paths and slippery stairs, I had to stop a few times to catch my breath. Our guide was very patient and attentive. We jumped and slid through a variety of pools and water slides... just beautiful! Many in our group did the full 27 waterfalls and returned with wonderful stories. The terrain is not for everyone, but for most. Wear closed toed shoes, and shorts. If you want pictures, be sure to tell them ahead of time. All in all, even though we were quite tired, our kids will definitely remember this excursion.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Took this trip with my two adult children who are in great shape and my husband and I, who are shaped like typical US midwestern 50 year olds. We did the 12 waterfalls due to time constraints (arrived before 1pm). Definitely lots of walking up and down on uneven rock stairs, dirt paths and fording a river or two, but we were able to keep up. The guides were very nice to "la Madra" and I had no trouble. Some of the jumps were pretty high, better to just go ahead and not pause to think. Closed toed sandals really are the best footwear. Everyone in our party had a great time - not something you would typically do back home.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

We went right after some pretty heavy rains had wiped out the stairs going down to the first pool in the lower falls, and one of my daughters (9) refused to jump down into the water - it was a bit sketchy and to be honest, I was quite happy to walk back out with her.
But my husband and other daughter (7) did go (the guides lowered her down and dropped her in from about 2 feet). Apparently they had a great time, and she was grinning ear to ear when she got back, so I was glad they went, but my sense is that if you have a timid child, think twice - it's a loooong, hot hike all the way to the falls and if you don't go down the falls, it's a looong hot hike back. Even the river you cross at the start was rushing thigh-high on me in places (I'm 5'6") and I was worried about slipping on the rocks several times as I went across.

I imagine after a dry spell and once the stairs are fixed it's much less intimidating, so I'd recommend it, but maybe watch the weather forecast :)

All that being said, the guides were amazing - we were well looked after. I'd definitely recommending going early in the day, the lines apparently get quite long. And if you can, enjoy lunch there too - it was really delicious and we quite enjoyed it, there was a nice variety, including bbq'd chicken and beef, two kinds of rice, veggies, beans, and hot dogs too!

And there is a gift shop where you can rent water shoes, and lockers if you need to lock anything up.