“The Royal Suites Caters for Gluten Free & other food intolerances”
Review of TRS Turquesa Hotel

TRS Turquesa Hotel
Ranked #47 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We spent 14 wonderful days at the Royal Suites in a swim up room. After reading the reviews we simply had to book a swim up room which was well worth the money. It was amazing and I would definitely try to get another swim up room on our next holiday.

Food-
I am Coeliac and was a little apprehensive about the food. As soon as I arrived I explained to our butler who issued me an allergy card which I kept with me and showed this to the waiter in each restaurant. Staying at the Royal suites meant we had exclusive use of 2 restaurants not available to the other two adjoining hotels. Only guests of the Royal Suites can use these, so this meant that they were more exclusive & you never had to wait. The restaurants were perfect for me as the waiters knew me as Coeliac within 2 days and were able to adapt every meal for me. The Royal Gormet and the French restaurant were amazing.
These two restaurants made you feel like you were dining out at a proper restaurant where you order from a menu rather than a self serve buffet common in alot of all inclusive hotels.You also have a good selection of meals here anything from Fillet mignon, Lobster,snails,turbot,sea bass,scallops,lamb ribs, never getting tired of the choice .My favourite restaurants were the Royal Gormet, French and the Mediterrean. The Japanese put on a great show but the food was not amazing after being spoiled at the two main restaurants, the Steak house serve beautiful T bone and Rib eye steaks but the service was 'Shockingly Slow' (over an hour wait for food). You can have any drink you would like being a Royal guest, nothing is too much trouble for the staff. My husband also had the Crepe Suzette which is made fresh in front of you in the French Restaurant- very entertaining.Being an adult only resort also was much more romantic and peaceful in the restaurants without children running around.

Room-

Our swim-up room was amazing with a Jacuzzi and a fully stocked bar, this was filled daily.
Great 4 poster bed- endless towels- and toiletries daily- with bath robe & slippers- We also had a hatch in our room for room service which you can order from 24hrs a day we had quite a few breakfasts- simply divine

Staff-
The staff were great, we did tip and it was appreciated. I tipped because I felt the level of service we got was worth it. the grounds are exquisite, simply breathtaking.The bar staff were great, so much so we have added them on facebook.

Leisure
The gym could really do with some new equipment as one of the running machines and bike would not work and it needs better air conditioning. You could also hire a bike for $10 for the whole day- well worth it to cycle around the grounds where you meet the local Pink Flamingo and various Peacocks.

I would definitely go back to this resort, I would only stay at the Royal Suites- I would not have enjoyed it as much and would have struggled with my food if I had stayed at one of the other hotels.
Overall- I would say for the food 10/10- 5 star for the level of service that you get.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a swim up room.
4  Thank HeartbeatOxford

Reviewed 3 July 2012

My wife and I went here for our honeymoon and loved it. We had a great time walking everywhere throughout the four campuses, and enjoyed all the dinners we had. The breakfasts and lunches left something to be desired, and there were times when we just wished we could get a good salad or deli sandwich rather than lasagna or pizza on the beach. Overall, the food was never horrible and sometimes fantastic (dinners were amazing and the fresh juices made the breakfast). We would gladly stay here again, but would also be interested in other resorts in Punta Cana, as the service sometimes left us wishing we made a better effort to overtly tip staff immediately. We were often times ignored because our Spanish and French is less-than serviceable, but we didn't expect them to cater to our lack of culture. We did, however, wish they'd treat us more like people who just spent $4,000 with them. The room and resort was well worth the rate, however, as it was exceptionally clean and manicured. I would recommend this place to anyone, but would suggest being better versed in at least one foreign language, preferably Spanish or French.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ArkansasExPat
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I went with my family. It was a girls trip. If you don't know Spanish expect to have difficulty communicating with everyone. My niece knew a little Spanish but not enough to carry on a conversation with staff and guests. The room was average, the food was average. Our favorite restaurant was the steak house. They had great customer service and the food was good. This is not a five star resort by any means. And although the RST offers adults only, to go to the restaurants or activities you must go over to the Bavara or Palace which is family oriented. If you have kids and speak Spanish then you are set! We have been to Jamaica twice and I can't say I'll go back to a Palladium resort again.

Room Tip: The swim up rooms looked nice. We stayed in the block of 55 and the rooms were average. The maids di...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Deseree E
Reviewed 30 June 2012

After visiting Palladium in Mexico, we did not think long before choosing a resort for our honeymoon in Dominican. And that was a big mistake, as it came out an average holiday, though in Royal Suites.The hotel itself is OK, but not great and definitely not 5 stars.

We tried to ask for any upgrades on arrival, but no one even offered us anything, as there was only a butler on the reception meeting us, who seemed like did not quite know how to check-in people.
As we arrived late, due to plane delay, we just dropped luggage and went out to get some food, as restaurants were already closing. On the way back to the room we could not get in, as the door lock was blocked. We had to sit 2 hours outside (though it was 23.00 the temperature outside was still +30C) while 4 different people from stuff were trying to open the door. Eventually after couple more days and few times of the same issue, the door lock was fixed.

The food is good, but not too many varieties. From one side it is good, as you won't put too much weight on, but on the other side - after one week you get bored of having almost same things every day.

The main issue with a stuff, is that it is hard to find a person who would speak English. Due to big amount of Spanish and Dominican people visiting resort, looks like they don't even bother to learn some English. The ones who speak English perfectly are from the Palladium Club. But stay away from these people, as they will take almost whole of your day trying to sell Travel Club Membership.

Entertainment was a bit boring. Most of the times it was just dances in the evening, and you could see people leaving their sits after 10-15 minutes. Once again comparing to Punta Cana, Mexican POP team was much more fun!!!!!

If you like activities - prepare to spend a lot of money. In all the hotels we have been before there was always an offer of pedalos, catamarans, snorkels for FREE. The only free thing in this hotel is canoe or catamaran and wind serfing only if you know how to "drive" it, otherwise it would cost you 100$.

Also there is a big problem with a music in the resort and the restaurants - or it does not play, or it stops after an hour or so.

Overall I would say it is a good hotel when you come with a kids and family, or if you are the first time in Dominican. But I would not recommend it for the couples, honeymooners and definitely not for the getting married.

Room Tip: The top floor rooms are good, as there are less insects in the room, though the ground floor rooms h...
1  Thank Afalina
Reviewed 27 June 2012

RST June 15-June 22
Arrival:
It was so nice to get back to The Royal Suites Turquesa. This was our second trip to this resort. It was very nice to see so many familiar faces that recognized us as well. Check in was very fast and we were on our way to our room without any delays.
Staff:
It was so nice to see so many familiar faces from our previous trip in 2011. Many recognized us as well and we were welcomed with warm smiles and hugs. Everyone is so happy and pleasant and take much pride in their work! Melky was awesome even though she was not our assigned Butler she was helpful with confirming reservations and such, we just love her!
Grounds:
The grounds are immaculate! The grounds keepers are always busy making sure everything is tidy and looking great! Each morning I could see them raking what little sea weed there was off the beach. They were always busy trimming, and cutting and washing things down. In the evening they would line up all the beach chairs in an orderly fashion to get ready for the next round of sunbathers. It’s just a breath taking resort!
Food:
We still weren't able to visit ALL the resturants this time either.. so I guess we'll just have to go again.. hehee.
Our favorite was the Japanese. We missed out on it last visit so made sure we ate there this time. My husband is a VERY picky eater and while he was looking at the menu he kept saying to me.. I wont eat this I wont eat this.. I go just try it and pick out what you don't want. He LOVED it! I was so happy that he actually tried something new! We sat at the Tapenyaki (Hibatchi) and had a great show and will make sure we eat there again on our next visit. We ate at the Brazillian Rest. twice. Last year we did not care for it very much, not that the food was bad but service was so slow. This year we met another couple and ate there and liked it so much we went there the next night. Mare Nostrums was good as usual. I had the Rizotto which was good and my husband ordered the Lobster which he loved! We ate at Le Chenterelle's one evening and the Chatua Briand was fabulous!! Royal Gourmet was great for breakfast as usual. We did try the new Steak House and were not very happy. The food was ok but for a 3 hour event I would have thought it should have been better! They were very busy and even with a reservation it took 3 hours to get out of there. The service was VERY slow! We ate lunch once at the Palace buffet and I took one bite of my hamburger only to find it raw. I couldn't even eat anything else on my plate so we left and went over to the Royal Gourment and ate there. Most lunches we just grabbed the little pizzas they had at the bars or a sandwhich OR the snack bar.. yummy! The onion rings are the best and the nachos are hot!
Excursions:
We went on the Marinarium excursion again this year. It was great fun and I highly recommend it if you are looking for a half day excursion to snorkle, eat and drink and just have fun.
Shows:
We missed the Michael Jackson show this year but went to the Divas show instead. Unless you have nothing else to do... I would skip it.. Of course that's my opinion, but did not really enjoy it. Thought it was quite cheesy and we left half way through. I know they work hard on their routines but I just couldn't get into it.
Clinic:
Hubby acquired a nasty case of swimmers ear on Tuesday. We stopped by the clinic and just asked the Dr. about the ear drops they had at the little store. She said we could try them but couldn't really say for sure if they'd work unless she examined my husband. He didn't want to pay the $98 consultation fee so just went and got the drops. By Thursday morning I was begging him to go back to the Dr's so that's what we did first thing in the morning. Because he waited so long (men are so stubborn!) She couldn't treat him with pills and had to give him IV treatment.. $310 later he was feeling better and cleared to fly home the following morning. It did put a damper on the last 3 days though because he really couldn't get in the water like he wanted too and had to watch from the boat while I snorkeled.. Oh well you live and you learn! BRING earplugs and MEDS with you!! :) The Dr. and I really had my husband going telling him he couldn't have alcohol or anything.. LOL.. he was not happy (we were joking) She was very nice and helpful and even gave hugs when we left.
On a follow up note, my husband went to our local Dr. today because his ear was still bothering him and it seems he’s ruptured his ear drum.  Make sure you bring ear plugs!

All in all we had a great time (minus the ear infection). The beach was beautiful and clean as well as all the pools and grounds! The staff is amazing and even if they don't know English they try their hardest to help you. Everyone thinks my husband is Dominican and are shocked to find out he is not and I joke and tell them, he can't even say 'NO' in spanish.. LOL We love The Palladium and have already made a visit to our travel agent about next years trip!
Here is a link to my photos on photo bucket.

8  Thank TeriMD