“sixth time back to this resort four times at Ambar and second time at this one.”

Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
Ranked #64 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I was very happy with the fact that all my requests I had sent via e-mail were met. When we arrived at the airport it was very fast getting our luggage, got on our waiting bus and there was a hotel worker with everything in an envelope for each guest. They had our room our bracelet in white for repeat guests and all my dinner reservations that I had done on line before we went. I was very pleased because they had made sure we got everything we asked for.

When we arrived at the resort they had a welcome drink waiting for us right outside the bus and trolleys waiting to take us to our rooms. There was no waiting around and no wasting our time.When we arrived in our room they had our welcome gift a bottle of rum and two t-shirts along with beautiful towel art and a fruit basket. Our beach towels were also in our room along with two bath robes and slippers, very nice!

The resort is huge and the beach is very crowded, not the best. If you wanted a spot by the pool you would have to reserve your chairs by 8:00 am and no later than 8:30 because they would all be gone! I noticed that on more than one occasion that some ignorant people would reserve several chairs by the pool and not use them all day long because they also had chairs on the beach shame on you people who do that!

We had amazing service at all the restaurants and most of the bars. I say this because on one night we ordered an after dinner drink called Porto and we were told that they had run out, I couldn't believe this as it was very early in the evening and there was no way that they should be out, so we left and went to another lobby bar and requested the same drink and we were served. So they did not run out of this drink in the resort as we were told by the person in charge of the other lobby bar, they were just too lazy or didn't care enough to make sure such a popular drink was available, not impressed!

Entertainment was good but much better in the past years that I've been there. The Michael Jackson show that I just love because they have had amazing performers in the past, was very disappointing. Unfortunately the Michael Jackson imitator was so poor, they need to bring back that original staff.

Would I go back, only if the price was amazing otherwise I'd like to see some other places.

Room Tip: I always go for the higher floors, just because it's a whole lot quieter and no critters. I emai...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank AJP1958

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,470)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2012

First off, I don't mean to sound like such a complainer; however, I stayed at the Bahia Principe in Mexico and it was a completely different experience.

Bahia Punta Cana is a beautiful facility. The lobby bar, the grounds and common areas are gorgeous. The beach is incredible and the rooms are adequate and spacious. With an on-site casino, non stop day time activities, a karaoke bar, piano bar and disco, there are a lot of things to do all day long.

It does fall short on a few things, most notably the cuisine. In an effort to Americanize the food for North American patrons, something went horribly wrong. There is a large selection of items on the massive buffets but we found that things were either very undercooked or very overcooked. Breakfast is the best meal of the day and the a la carte restaurants are a step up. We spoke to others who had no complaints about the food, but honestly, we stopped eating by day four. Not worth the calories.

Customer service is not fantastic, unlike other places I've stayed in the Caribbean or Mexico. Even though many patrons are English speaking, there were only a handful of employees who spoke English. However, when your room is full of mosquitoes upon check in, they will spray it for you. Just mime it out; they'll catch your drift.

Thumbs up: Activities, nightlife, grounds, beach
Thumbs down: food, customer service, lack of beach chairs/towels
Tips: Upgrade to Esmeralda or Ambar if you can. If you haven't reserved a lounger by the pool or beach before 7am, you are not getting one. There are more guests than beach chairs.

Room Tip: If you like the nightlife, choose rooms closer to the lobby. They are very loud though, so if you wa...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
13 Thank Mellymacd
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Unfortunatly this hotel lacks very much customer service. The hotel needs a major make over such as buying new towels beach and room towels have seen better days. We stayed at the golden part of the hotel thinking we would have extra perks, but there is no difference from golden or any other package! The king size bed was the most unconfortable bed I ever slept on. I sat on the edge to watch the 19 inch tv and the bed felt as if it was going to fold like a sandwich. Our mini bar fridge was more warm than cold, called the desk to ask to get it fixed and on the second time that I called I was told that they came by to fix it and responded that was still warm and I was told that it the fridge had too much stuff in it and that was why it didn't work! To that I was amazed that 4 beer and 1 water bottle was loading up a fridge! Staff is overall happy go lucky except for the bartenders which seem to have a chip on their shoulder and smile only when they see $$ in your hands. Golden reception is a joke when we arrived we were greeted with a way as if we needed to get processed as quickly has possible, when I asked the person with a smile was everything okay and if they were okay ? I was told that they had the flu! No chairs on the beach as people would get up at the break of dawn to put their towels and reserve the chairs, my wife had skin cancer in the past and one of the big reasons we chose ths hotel was for the palapa on the beach but in a week stay we were never able to get one. I lived in this country for 11 years my wife and I travel very often for work and stay ay many hotels this is a below average hotel which has seen better days! It's a spanish owed resort which I would strongly recommend that they sent some Spanish management from their head office to put the resort as it once was! The amber part is an excellent choice and the whole resort should be as the amber is! Small piece of free advise to anyone from this hotel reading this a smile and service goes a long way to people that work very hard threw the year to have a week of R&R.

• Stayed March 2012
8 Thank Sacs7
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We travelled with our 4 yr old son in first week of March from Calgary, Canada.
The resort is very well kept, clean, hyginic, lots of trees, nice beach, nice pools and good activities. Everning kids shows and theater shows for adults were good too. Food quality and number of items on buffet were good. Although some days we felt it was same menu but still something for everyone. The resort is HUGE though therefore hard to find seat/chair on beach and pools if you go late in the day. Internal shuttle service is handy as the resort is very spread out especially the beach. but shuttle service is 5 mins so no issues for us. I'd rate the room as 4 out of 5 in terms of quality of bed and other things but acceptable quality. Everything else i'd rate 4.5 or 5 out of 5. Had really good time overall. not sure about the bad reviews we saw before leaving but we went with open mind and had an excellent time. We definitely go back.

Room Tip: if you dont like to walk or get shuttle service then get something closer to the beach BEFORE you ma...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank RSCalgary_12
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We stayed 2 weeks and paid a lot for just average services, food, booze and accomodation.
Some foods were good but that was it. 4 Fruit types for 2 weeks gets to be not enough.
The drinks at the restaurant were watered down or something, wine looks good but has no taste...rum was ok but only at the bar. It was similar to Mexico only 3 times more expensive.
Very crowded 7.00am had to go on the beach to reserve chairs...nah..not for me.
The pool you could hardly walk around.
Never again for me in February when it is expensive and full of people, line-ups everywhere.
The a la carte are a joke! Buffet was better then a ala carte. Value for money was poor. The ROyal golden package is a joke too...no pediatrician in the hotel either :( ...our friends had to go in town and lost a day at the doctor. Time-share sellers are as ussual annoying....too bad they see us as milking cows only and not really respect us. From now on chepest last minute will be the best value for money ...forget the pics ...they all look good. One week is also better since you have no time to wake-up and see them for who they are. When kids slept at noon the maids were yelling on the hallways to each other numerous times in all buildings. They can try to cook but that is it. Beer was garbage too. Cigarete butts in the sand from the lovely low quality guests :). Oh the kids activities - I would not let my kids with an uninterested young lady who does not love kids and does not speak english :)
Where were the BBQ on charcoal or propane? Only fried meat as bbq!
Where were the nice towels on the beds? And yes we tipped every meal and night.
Mass produced low quality tourism.... not 5 stars! More like 2.5-3 stars

Room Tip: They all are average...my toilet leaked, lost water and refilled the tank every 15min. You think an...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
#53 of 112 in Punta Cana
83.4 km away
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana? Share your experiences!