6,701 results
All reviews colonial restaurant deluxe room swim up bar palm trees caribbean street every other day steak main restaurant mama juana mini bar smaller pool entertainment staff plenty of sunbeds outback safari main pool beautiful beach saona island
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

This was our first visit to a Riu resort and to Dominican Republic, the hotel was set around a beautiful beach and lovely garden which couldn’t be faulted considering the recent damage from the hurricane which had passed through two weeks before arriving.

Upon arrival we were given our keys and pointed in the direction of our room, which was fine, we had paid a upgrade fee which meant our block was as far away from the main resort as it could possibly be ( again thou wasn’t a problem as were only in our 20s). However we had a issue with the upgrade as the only reason we booked a upgraded room was because when I booked it didn’t state that all the rooms had been upgraded so therefore they pictures a old fashioned run down room which I didn’t want to stay in. This was a fault with Thomson and first choices website as they failed to up date the pictures even though the hotel had been renevated back in June ready for the summer. Wouldn’t have been a issue if I had booked the hotel months in advance but I only booked 3 weeks prior to our visit so website should have been updated! I would suggest not bothering with the upgrade as all you get is a larger bed and a shower and sink area in the bedroom rather than separate. The worst of it was that our ‘upgraded room’ had broken air con and a broken safe (however the staff were great and did fix this with a few hours of us informing them)

On a positive though the rooms were lovely, excellent space, safe, air-con, hair Dryer, iron and ironing board provided in rooms. Excellent views from the balcony we had and rooms were cleaned every day without fail. The staff at Riu we’re all pleasant and everyone was happy to help!

The all inclusive side of the Riu was fab with optics in the rooms to drink from and a mini bar refilled every other day included within the price! Big variety on the All inclusive drinks with choices of cocktails, wines, procesco, beers and spirts to chose from as well as hot drinks and soft drinks!

Excellent variety of places to eat:
Steak house
Mexican
Italian
Spanish
Chinese
Buffet
And a couple of others which we didn’t get around to trying on our visit! But wished we had! The food was great!

There are several swimming pools to sit around we always visited the pool at the back of the resort and it was less full on but had a pool bar which was perfect! Maria and pascal who work at the pool bar offered a great service we’re always singing, smiling and happy to be of assistance! Only issue was the the local children seemed to come into the resort of a weekend meaning that they would take over the pool. (The picture on Thomson and first choices websites for the pools isn’t the correct ones your best to look on TripAdvisor)

The entertainment wasn’t anything to write home about however the staff work very hard though the day trying to keep everyone happy so you’ve got to give it to them for try! The beach party they put on once a week was very good though.

I would suggest not bothering with the shops on site in Caribbean street as they charge 30 dollars for suncream and 1 dollar for a single plaster not worth the money!

AVOID scuba carbi (the beach hub for trips) as they tend to cancel everything you book with them! Seems to be a waste of time when your on holiday especially if your only there for a week!

Over all lovely resort, beautiful beach, friendly helpful staff and great food/Drink :)

Only a few teething problems but they wouldn’t stop us from returning in the future!

1  Thank Curious736639
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

Absolutely perfect holiday! Every single member of staff worked so hard to provide an excellent customer service! Food was gorgeous, clean room cleaned every day! Only downside was our room was on lower floor no view from balcony. Beach was gorgeous. So many restraunts bars all lovely, pool area fab and always got a sunbed no problem!

Date of stay: February 2017
2  Thank harley5690
Reviewed 16 October 2017

This was our first time in DR and our second Riu (First was in Mexico). I think it would be a miss to compare the two because we only paid $1015/each direct flight from Toronto, so it was not overly expensive. We did choose it because we loved the Riu in Mexico. It was hurricane season so one would expect a discount.

First off this hotel has been totally renovated as of Summer 2017. So if you are watching you tube video's etc I would stick to recent video's within the last 6 weeks or so.

Grounds: this is a very large resort with 20+ multiunit villas. Walking paths are very good and well lit and if you want quiet opt for the back in the center of the resort. Grounds and pools are pretty clean. They are doing construction of a building close to the beach. Before you book ask you're travel agent about this. It may be something to consider because beside this construction is (in my opinion) the best bar and view of the sea at the resort. But having the noise of cranes etc really does spoil the mood slightly. There are two large pools near the sea, one with the swim up bar and one without and there is also a smaller pool near the sea beside the kiddie area. This was a lovely spot with very nice shade all around. The newest pool is at the back of the resort also with a swim up bar and loungers. Plenty of spots to sit and shade as required. The pools are very well thought out for those that want sun or shade. The beach is stunning and you can walk for miles either side.

Rooms: rooms are spacious and renovated. We did email in advance asking for a quiet room instead we were beside the parking lot in block 33. I would not recommend being near the roads. Our room's air con never did get lower than 26c which was fine for us but seniors and those traveling with infants may find this too warm. Perhaps the first floor rooms have better air con. There was a fridge and mini bar in our room but we didn't make much use of it (staff did though - more to come on that). There is annoying flashing light from the smoke alarm, but we put two bandaids over the lights and that worked great! Beds were hard and pillows mushy with clean white linen, perfect for us! We would have liked a king bed.

Food: The food was fantastic in our opinion. A million times better than any Cuban resort we had been to, maybe not as 5* as Mexico but we enjoyed almost every meal. There are a lot of places to eat at night but check the schedules. Some places are not open on some days. The Italian was our favorite evening meal. At breakfast there is a chocolate cinnamon drink in the soup area that is to die for!

Gym and Spa: the gym in this resort is excellent, good air con and equipment to get a serious work out in. The spa at the palace had steam room, dry sauna and cold plunge pools. I had a massage here that was nice. At the rui bavaro they have the warm baths and steam room and another excellent gym and massage areas.

Staff: staff were fine but not overly friendly and I think that's because it seemed the guests were very demanding and there were not a lot of smiles all around. I can't really put my finger on the vibe but it was in the patrons as well. There was a lack of pleasantry that one would expect in a vacation area. Rosa made our room up very nicely everyday.

Final note: The day after we arrived we took the $6 bus into "town" (town was a very western mall). The only thing it had going for it was a grocery store and a decent Italian place that made a mean pesto pasta. We bought decent wine from Australia, Champagne and Whiskey and Spanish Sangria to enjoy throughout the week in our room (yes it is all inclusive but we have a picky pallet when it comes to wine and the local variety was not the greatest). The day before we were leaving we came back to our room in the evening to have a Sangria before dinner and the bottle was gone. This is not a money issue, the Sangria was under $10, it was the principle of it. We suspect the people who refill the mini bar took our one bottle of Sangria thinking we would not notice (our mini bar was also tapped into every day and we didn't drink any of the voldka, gin, rum or whiskey that was in our room.) We wrote a note in Spanish and brought it to the front desk (again, nothing to do with the actual cost of the product just as a point of principle and the management of a Riu should be aware of this) and my husband delivered it to the front desk and they offered to replace the bottle but didn't have any Sangria. Which was fine, again it was the principle of the matter. We go on vacation to enjoy ourselves and just relax for a week a year - and yes, we lock up our passports and extra money etc. But if we go to a resort and have to lock up everything in our room for fear of being robbed, then this is not a resort we would ever go back to.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank 277mrss
Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

Just got back from a weeks holiday. It was a last minute holiday due to a cancellation. I am so glad my original holiday was cancelled because this holiday was fabulous. We stayed in room 5025 was right next to one of the quieter pools but got busy some days it had a lovely swim up bar with lovely bar staff. The food wasn't spectacular but we didn't go hungry. The Mexican restaurant was a favourite of ours. A question that will be asked would I go to the same hotel most definitely. Rooms were always kept clean and clean bedding and towels daily. Coco bongo is worth a visit. But try and book with some one outsode the hotel they $20 cheaper then the reps..

2  Thank Hannah M
Reviewed 15 October 2017

my vacation with my grandson/2years old/ starting Saturday 3 day before I call to Bambu to put crib bed to room for 2 years old boy after 6 call/I was cut of line during switching line /take 1 1/2 hours somebody promises me bed in room . in Saturday evening after check in we find in room bed for 2 people only /room was booking for 3 person/ no crib. we back to desk to do something after 45 minut /is 12 midnight/ crib was in room.
my wife have birthday 04 oct so hotel send gift to room /nice / but in letter was my name so she was upset .
few times I tray get some info from desk but over was noting.
day before go back I tray as about my riu card but nobody can give me answer send my to supervisor when hi came /name Oliver/after few nice word from my side hi say hi don't have took with my /ignoring / and walk a way very rude and not polite .
good news if you going to SAND BAR tip men name VICTOR . yours drink will be fast and good .hi is worth yours tip be very happy

Room tip: take room close to ocean
  • Trip type: Travelled with family