“entertainment staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“entertainment staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

in general the hotel staff and especially the entertainment team was excellent. the hotel would benefit from another bar but thats the only problem.

all day ever day there's is something to do and be entertained.

Room Tip: no problems at all if you want to change your view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JEANETTE W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,663)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Dover, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

I just returned from spending 4 nights at Dreams Palm Beach and loved it! We upgraded to preferred and appreciated the express check in/check out, "private" pool and the perks that came with it. We had an issue with our DVD player/remote, but maintenance came and fixed it within 10 minutes.

The shower issue is a problem, but just put towels on the floor and try to point the shower head more towards the wall. It didn't seem like the bottom of the glass was caulked on the shower stall and water flooded through the bottom if we weren't careful. Seems like it could be easily fixed and save on having to wash tons of extra towels! We did not have a problem with humidity in our room, but it is a tropical environment so there's not much you can do to fight Mother Nature! DO NOT brush your teeth with the water from the faucets - use bottled water. I also followed this rule and had no problems with illness.

You can do as much or as little as you want - we did absolutely nothing! We didn't have a problem finding chairs by the pool, although the premier pool was much quieter and we LOVED the beds on the beach! Make sure you apply/reapply sunscreen often as the sun is very intense...

As for the food, we tried Bordeaux (I enjoyed my meal, my friend not so much), Seaside Grill (same likes/dislikes) and El Patio (service great, food so-so). I think we really enjoyed the World Cafe for the huge choice of dishes - we ate breakfast there every morning and found something different we loved every time! The Coco Cafe had great coffees and sweets and the Barefoot Grill (?) had awesome burgers and chicken.

There are occasional posts about people getting a stomach bug. I had sushi, fish and seafood almost every day without any problems. I got malaria mediciation, a Hepatitis A shot and a super dose of Zithromax (antibiotic) before I went, just in case. The CDC recommends this but everything seemed clean and attention was spent on not letting food sit out too long.

The grounds were beautiful and our trip was totally relaxing. Yes, there is a lot of seaweed in the water, but it didn't stop us from going in. Everyone was very friendly and attentive, although there is a bit of a language barrier with housekeeping/maintenance and even in some of the shops.

We can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank melster555
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

My stay at Dreams Palm Beach was wonderful...the staff was so excellent...very fun and inviting and also very helpful at all times. I would recommend this resort to anyone...Our massage on the beach was very relaxing and the girls were wonderful with their hands...We loved the entertainment staff...very fun and always trying to get them involved...Luira was the greatest and was very helpful and always included us in the the fun...The entertainment was all day and night and always had something different to do.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bethany C
Parsippany, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

This is my first hotel review ever, but I had to write about this hotel because I felt that the reviews on here before my trip were very confusing, some saying the hotel was excellent, some saying they left early because it was horrible. So I have to add a review for people questioning whether to go to Dreams Palm Beach.

My wife and I went to celebrate our first anniversary, and we chose Dreams Palm Beach because we had gone to Dreams in Puerta Vallarta Mexico and were very happy with that hotel.

PREFERRED CLUB:
We paid the money to for the Preferred Club, which I had read was "not worth the money". The Preferred Club allows access to the Preferred pool which is right next to the Preferred Lounge, the Seaside Grill and the Preferred Club Beach side. This pool is much quieter and less crowded than the other 2 main pools. Jose, the pool drink service waiter kept the drinks coming, so you rarely had to go the 25ft to either the Preferred Lounge Bar (mostly beer and liquors (no tropical drinks)) or the Seaside Grill bar, which was never crowded. We found that Preferred members were the only guests allowed to eat breakfast and lunch at the Seaside Grill, which my wife and I found to be the best option for lunch. After eating at the WorldCafe (buffet) the first day for lunch, we were glad that we could eat a sit down lunch at the Seaside Grill. The burgers and sandwiches were great and I couldn’t get enough of the fried calamari there. We also found the Preferred Club Lounge was great, we had access to computers so we could check our email and they offered magazines and books to read at the pool or beach. The concierge there was also helpful in getting us the specialty pillows and anything else for our room. The Preferred section of the beach was quiet and not crowded at all, they had these canopy beach beds, that were like queen size beds on the beach that were great for taking a nap or searching the internet on an wifi ipad etc.

The only downside that I saw was the Preferred Club - Free Wifi, had to be renewed every 5 hours, so you had to go to the lounge for a password to get back on the internet.

FOOD:
As I said before, the Preferred Club access to the Seaside Grill for lunch was the best, and dinner was really good as well, they had a good selection of steaks and seafood entrees.

Bordeaux, the French restaurant was our favorite, and we chose this restaurant to be the only one we went to twice. Portofino, the Italian place was good as well, the hibatchi place had a long wait (we found out that going later in the evening at 8pm was the best time to go with only a 15min wait). The hibatchi restaurant provided a nice portion of fried rice, shrimp, chicken, and steak. It was a great show and well worth the wait. El Patio the Mexican place was not as good as the others, and reminded me of a Chili’s type restaurant, and their margaritas were god awful. If you have limited nights for dinner, this is the one to skip. The World Café, was not impressive when we went there for lunch and we didn’t even consider it for dinner, so I cannot give a complete review, but there were enough food options as it was very large.

ROOMS:
I had read a lot of negative reviews about the rooms, and some points other people had brought up were true. We stayed on the third floor of building 5, and we had no real musty smells or water issues. We had a whirlpool tub/shower which was nice and limited the problem with the shower water going all over the floor (other guests mentioned this problem). I can’t say the rooms were outdated because they had modern furniture and fixtures, but you could tell they were worn.
Like most all inclusives, there were some loud guests at night, and the room doors slammed all night long, but I found that blocking the bottom space of the door with a towel helped muffle some of the noise.

The AC was weak, so it was not super cold like I enjoy, but with the help of the ceiling fan, it stayed comfortable. The TV channels were 75% Spanish, so it was annoying to see a good movie or show and find it to be only in Spanish. But we found something to watch most times so it wasn’t the end of the world. The DVD rental selection was poor at best, so if you have kids to entertain, or just like watching a movie at night, bring some DVDs for the room. Our room was rather small, and did not have a ton of drawers for unpacking, so we lived out of our suitcases which took up even more space in the room. Overall, for the time we spent in the room, it was good enough.

BEACH:
Yes, there was seaweed, but as other reviewers have mentioned, they cleaned the beach constantly, so you could still walk up and down the beach without a problem. We didn’t really swim much in the ocean as there didn’t seem to be the best snorkeling due to the sandy beach. So if you are looking to go snorkeling right off the beach, you will be out of luck, but you can go on snorkeling trips, which we heard, were fun.

DRINKS:
My wife and I tried a ton of different drinks during the trip. Each day they had a drink of the day, and they had a good selection of tropical pool side drinks to choose from. I like my drinks strong, but I found that if you asked for a lot of rum or liquor in the drink, you would get an extra layer of rum on top of the drink which you could stir into the drink. Or sometimes you could just ask for a shot of dark rum on the side and mix it in yourself which was good too.

ENTERTAINMENT:
The Entertainment staff ran around the entire day near the main pools doing little activities that my wife and I weren’t really interested in. But each night they hosted a show in the theatre that was goofy, but entertaining at the same time. How can you miss a Dominican guy lip synching and dancing to Grease Lighting with a big wig on? We found them all to be good shows, and a fun start or sometimes end of our night. We were hoping for some more local musical acts near the bar, and we did find ourselves listening to more karaoke than we would have liked.

Overall, we had a great time at Dreams Palm Beach, and we found the pros definitely outweighed the cons with this resort!

Room Tip: Go for 3rd floor rooms - less musty issues and shove a towel to fill the space beneath the room door...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Jonathan L
Goose Bay, NL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

This was our 6th trip to the DR in the last couple of years and our second trip to this resort this year. We travelled with our 16 yr old daughter and her best friend and we thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

Overall the resort was fantastic - probably better than the first time, the place was spotless, entertainment was good, the staff were excellent, the food was great with a couple of exceptions but again that is just personal preference.

We never had a problem getting a lounger either by the pool or in the shade and we only had a slight bit of rain during the entire trip. One thing I did like was they actually enforced the no reserving of loungers early in the morning. they did rounds just before 8:00 and if there were reserved and unattended loungers thn they simply moved the items to lost and found. EXCELLENT... there were plenty of loungers available after breakfast.

Once again the staff at this resort made our trip - Isabel in the preferred club took care of our every need so did the rest of the preferred club Staff. Jose once again did an outstanding job of ensuring we got the rooms we desired. Special note… Eunice, our server never let our drinks run dry – she was courteous, friendly, funny and above all took great pride in her work. Please give her our deepest thanks. . these guys made our holiday. You guys are the best – this is why we always stay with the AMResorts chain. We are returning to the resort in February and cannot wait to see these guys again.

the pool was huge so finding a quiet spot was never an issue. we loved the no reservations at the restaurant.

Oh ya... We did not do the Spa but we did get deep relaxing massages on the beach - AWESOME, especially with the ocean breeze. i have a bad lower back "torn muscles" which was acting up. I informed the massuse that I had a bad back and she really did wonders for the lower back. Back was fine for the rest of the trip.

Kids had a fantastic time, shows, movies on the bach, other activities - they were never truly bored. we swam with the dolphins, deep sea fishing ( caught a 75lb sailfish), scuba kayaks and much much more...

overall this was our best trip yet and we cannot wait to go back

Room Tip: Preferred club ocean view in Block 4
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family