Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #30 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Vacation”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

My wife and I spent a week at the Gran Bahia Principe Esmeralda. The Esmeralda is part of the larger Gran Bahia Principe resort. We have previously stayed at Ambar (adults only) in the same resort and would have stayed there again but it was full. But we enjoyed the Esmeralda greatly. There were some families with kids but most guests were older so the pool was still relaxing.

The Esmeralda was great. We were able to book specialty restaurants for most of our nights there. All in all they were pretty good, some were better than others (the service was much better at the restaurants in Ambar and Esmeralda than in Punta Cana and Bavaro). The Don Pablo was our favorite. In general, the food was good. The selection, fruits, deserts, pork, chicken, seafood were all very good. The one drawback was the beef dishes including at the Steakhouse. The quality of the beef was not great but there were plenty of other options.

The pool was great, we did not have a problem getting chairs any days. The pool was right next to the ocean so we were able to walk down to the beach everyday. The non-motorized water sports were included so we enjoyed kayaking and were tempted to try windsurfing but it was windy everyday and we opted to skip windsurfing.

Overall this was a very relaxing trip. There was not a lot to do at night except grab drinks in the lounge which suited us perfectly but others may want more activities at night.

Our one issue was that we found a cockroach in our room one night. We quickly killed it and did not see anymore the rest of the trip. I would recommend requesting a room on the second floor.

Room Tip: We found a cockroach in our room on the first floor. I would recommend a roomer on a high floor.
8 Thank bbucker13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,518)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Montreal
Reviewed 22 February 2012

You just got to visit this place, incredible, rooms, restaurants, everything

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank vovaodessa
Hackensack, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 February 2012

This is my 3rd time at the Gran Bahia Principe in Punta Cana (2nd time at Esmeralda, also stayed at Ambar) and its just perfect. The Esmeralda is part of the much larger Punta Cana and Bavaro section of the Gran Bahia Principe. If you desire to be in a smaller, more intimate, more upscale part of this resort, book the Esmeralda and you will not be disappointed! The service is fantastic, the beach is fantastic, the food is fantastic, the drinks are fantastic. I cannot say enough about the Esmeralda - By booking this resort, you will have access to the other areas as well: Punta Cana, Bavaro and Ambar (people staying there will not have access to Esmeralda). As with all Gran Bahia Principe resorts, the grounds are immaculate. JUST BOOK IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: When booking your reservation, ask for a room in building 90 as this will be closest to the beach. A...
14 Thank JordanSophie
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This was our third time in Punta Cana but this was the best resort!!! It's a very small area in part of a large resort which both my husband and I enjoyed. The accomodations were awesome, food was great and everything was close by. The staff turned themselves inside out to make sure you were well taken care of. Would I go back? Yes in a heartbeat as long as the prices stay about the same. I can see what this is rated #4 of all the resorts in Punta Cana.

If I could even find anything at all to complain about it would only be that the ocean was a bit of a walk to get to. Not bad but with my having asthma a lot of walking is hard on me. This is why we choose this particular resort. Now mind you the Esmeralda has it's own private beach area which is nice but it's right off the pool. Not a long walk at all! But if you like sitting close to the ocean to see and hear it then you have to move out of the private area and go closer to the ocean. We did that two 1/2 days but let me tell you it was one packed beach!!! Far too many people coming and going for me to enjoy. It truly was a zoo close to the ocean. Because the week we were there (1st week in February) the weather was nice with always a breeze around the pool so that is where we spend most of our time. If it were not for the nice ocean breeze then it would be too hot even around a pool.

Our room was so nice, and so quiet. I loved coming to our room after a day around the pool and having a jacuzzi tub bath then sitting on our balcony (second floor opposite the pool) and just enjoy the quiet!

I love lobster and was told that Thursday night at the Jasmin Buffet was sea food night. I thought I died and went to heaven with all the lobster! I even took my own little lobster pot so I could melt the butter and dip my lobster into hot butter! Ymmmm. I found out afterwards that they would have melted my butter for me in the microwave! Oh well. I enjoyed the shrimp and again brought my own shrimp sauce because their idea and we Canadians idea of shring sauce is not the same.

If you asked me my favourite part of this trip was then I would have to say the awesome friends we met while there. It was so nice to make arrangments to meet in the lobby for a drink or two before calling it a day. That was the icing on the cake for us!

The grounds were beautiful and so very well maintained. I asked a few question from people that gave reviews of this place and it was everything I was told and more. I can't imagine anyone complaining about anything.

Looking forward to going back next year!

10 Thank ellenmcd0nald
North Bay, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Esmaralda from Jan 31st to Feb 7th 2012. Our flight to Punta Cana was delayed 3 hours and by the time we got to the Esmaralda we found that the resort was over-booked and our room was not available. They sent us over to the Ambar (Adults Only) where we spent one night. You may say this was a major inconvenience but since we were contemplated staying at the Ambar it was actually very nice. The service is top notch at the Ambar and the food at the buffet better than the Esmaralda. The next day we got the room we wanted at the Esmaralda along with VIP bracelets and a 100USD resort credit (which we used to buy most of our souvenirs). The room at the Esmaralda was perfect (91215) on the third floor. Perfect view of the pool and ocean and a king size bed.
We ate at the buffet on the second night and we both agreed that for the rest of our vacation we were going to eat Ala Cartes only. So we booked at the Bella Italia twice (Esmaralda), El Olivo Mediterranean (Ambar), Don Pablo (Ambar) and El Meson (Bravaro). Our favorite was the Bella Italia by far (Thanks Brody!!!). The El Olivo was very good as well. The El Meson was good but not great. The Don Pablo was good but definitely over rated.
Service in the rooms, bars and restaurants around the Esmaralda was for the most part excellent. We enjoyed having access to WIFI in the lobby and the pool area. At times we could even get it on our balcony.
The advertised waiter service at the pool and beach is really really hit and miss. The guy was great (can’t remember his name) but he seems to serve a few and then leaves for hours. Maybe he is serving both the pool and the beach or helping in the restaurants… who knows. Waiter service would really be nice at the adult’s only jacuzzi area. But really it doesn’t hurt to get off your butt every once in a while anyway.
Now I have to vent: The practice of leaving your towel out to reserve chairs. We tried really hard not to do this and only left them before breakfast and during lunch. But to see chairs taken all day and no one in them was extremely frustrating. I saw the staff pick up arm loads of towels from the pool area at the end of the day that no one had come back for. Some people have no consideration for others. There; now I feel much better.
Beautiful grounds, very friendly staff, great room, great food and drinks (I even liked the white wine). We will definitely recommend this place and maybe go back someday (for us it’s off to another island next time – been to DR twice).

Room Tip: We were in Building 91 on the third floor. We had an excellent view of the resort including the pool...
6 Thank GW1155000