“We loved it!!”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 29 July 2011

My friends and I just returned from Secrets Royal Beach in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. The resort is beautiful, with huts along the white sand beaches, and turquoise blue Atlantic waters. The photos on their website is what you get! Our room looked exactly like the one shown. We had a garden view room which was great, and we were at the beginning of the free form pool, which was great to float in! One of the rooms we had was an end room, #4128, which made it convenient to get in and out of the free form pool. We spoke to other guests who had swim up rooms, and they loved them. Also, bring your own floats/tubes. The resort does not provide any, and they will blow them up for you. You can buy them in the gift shop, but it's more expensive than bringing your own.

You must remember you are on Dominican "island" time, so the service may seem slower than what you are used to, so just relax and enjoy where you are!! :-))

The wait staff at the restaurant was great, however, the food was just fair. We ate at Mercure (French), Spice (Asian/Teppanyaki), Capers (Italian), Oceans (Seafood), Seaside Grill (Steak and Seafood), and at the Rivera Buffet. We each had a favorite, but for me, I preferred Spice (table & Teppayaki). The restaurants are either in Secrets (Adults Only) or in NOW Larimar Resort (Family). The two properties are shared. Guests from Secrets can use both resorts, but guests from Larimar cannot come over to Secrets. There are security guards along the border of the two resorts checking room keys. The restaurants are mainly at NOW Larimar. Be forewarned! You usually have to wait in a long line to put your room number in, but there's a chance you won't get in until much later or at all. We tried to get into Spice every night we were there for the Teppanyaki grill, and the only time they had was either 9:30 or it was full for the evening. We finally got in on our last night, but at 9:30. All the other restaurants we were able to get in, but there was always an hour or more wait time. So, if you like to dine early and get there when it opens, you'll be fine. However, if you are like us, we like to maximize our beach/pool time and eat later, which is where the problem occurred. So, if you're a late diner, especially for Spice, go early to put your room number down (and watch to make sure they write it down!!) and they'll probably tell you the wait is an hour or more, then go get ready for dinner. During lunch time, go to the bbq grill outside. They will grill up chicken, hamburgers, hotdogs, ribs, and kabobs. The chicken was my fave!! Then, go into Rivera buffet to get your other foods.

The swim up bar and the beach bar were both terrific and entertaining! The entertainment staff was definitely outgoing and fun. A few of the daily activities that we participated in included, yoga/Pilates on the beach, water aerobics in the pool, step aerobics, Zumba, caribbean dance lessons, and fun contests in/by the pool! I actually won a bottle of Barcelo rum!! In addition they had daily special activities, including: painting (only 4 people could do this one and it was fun!), hat/bowl making with palm leaves (only 10 people could do this one, but we missed it), cigar lesson and making (we learned about the Dominican cigar and make sure to ask to make one), and Spanish lessons - basic and fun (she came up to us under our beach hut and gave us lessons). Other activities we did not participate in included drink making class, fruit decoration class, and bedding decorations. For some reason, they have all their activities back-to-back in the afternoon. They should spread it out throughout the day so you can participate in all of them, if you wanted to.

The nightly entertainment was okay, and could improve. The entertainment was at NOW Larimar. The disco could have been better if the DJ played a variety of music genres. It was mainly Dominican music, which was great, but there were a lot of international guests there, especially from the US, and it would have been nice to hear some American music to dance to. In addition, the kids and teenagers were allowed in the disco, which didn't feel like an adult nightclub. We usually missed the nightly shows because we were dining at the same time as the shows. We did see the Michael Jackson show, which was entertaining. We also went to the disco for karaoke, which was fun. After dinner, we usually found ourselves back at Secrets having a cocktail in the plaza. Secrets had live music nightly, but ended at 11pm. Again by the time we finished dining, we usually only heard a couple of songs and the band was packing up. The evening basically ended around 11pm for us.

We went on one excursion, to Santo Domingo. It was a long bus ride to and from Santo Domingo, but it was worth it. We booked through Amstar and it was a guided tour through the capital city. Each historical site we visited had it's own tour guide. I really liked seeing the Dominican culture and locals.

Housekeeping...you'll probably have to call down several times and wait a long time, if you want extra towels, mini bar refill, or just to get your room cleaned. Again, they're on DR "island" time. Otherwise, everything else was fine. Oh, those of you who use conditioner, bring your own. They provide a shampoo & conditioner combo, which most know does not work as a conditioner.

Checking out...the front desk will ask you to fill out a survey while you're checking out, which can be cumbersome when you're trying to catch your shuttle to the airport. My recommendation is to double check to make sure you do not have an outstanding balance and ask to fill out the survey the night before. Make sure to ask the concierge to prearrange your airport shuttle pick up the day before departure. We did not have any problems with Pietro Tours. They picked us up on time in a nice air conditioned charter bus and got us to the airport without any problems. Also, you can check in and print your boarding pass for your flight using the concierge's computer.

All in all, we had a fabulous time, and we really didn't want to leave!! We all wished we could stay another week!! That should tell you how wonderful Secrets Royal Beach really was!! This resort opened in May 2011, so they are still trying to figure out the kinks and are working towards improving their resort. If you book with Secrets, I hope you have a great experience as my friends and I did!! :))

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank rbluv2travel
There are newer reviews for Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana

Reviewed 29 July 2011

Overall nice resort though food was terrible and I usually eat anything. But when you get sick on your second day,You loose your appetite. Workers are friendly though can not speak english well except for the sale people they speak good. My wife and I were both sick with vomiting and diarrhea , last a day and half in bed. Not sure what makes you sick because we did not over indulge. There were many people I talked to that had gotten ill. AS I said its a nice resort but I don't see where people say the food is great unless your drunk. The BBQ chicken was about the only good item I ate. If I had to pay to come here again I wouldn't I would choose a different vacation spot. I think florida has some better beaches without all the see wead daily

Room Tip: Bring something for your diarrhea
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beachfun40
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I just returned from Punta Cana last Sunday and wanted to let others know about our experience at Secrets Royal. The grounds are very pretty, the pool was nice, and our room was spacious. We had a corner room overlooking the beach which was beautiful. We never had a problem with the maid service, in fact, I thought they were pretty good and we never had a problem getting towels. The mini bar is small - make sure you turn the temperature down in the fridge to the coolest temperature.

Those were pretty much the only positives of the hotel. Here are the negatives: the beach was way too crowded, the drinks were very small and not very tasty compared to other resorts that we have stayed at in Punta Cana, they were constantly trying to get you to come to their time share presentation, the gym was terrible, the restaurants were hot, they charge you $60USD for a week's worth of internet, and you have to go over to the Now side for everything.

We ended up switching to the Iberostar Grand and absolutely loved it. The whole ambiance is relaxing, quiet, and the drinks and food were much better. I loved the vacation once we got to the new hotel.

Here's my advice - if you like a more party atmosphere and aren't too concerned with luxury then the Royal is for you. My recommendation is to bring your own rafts, bring your own cup for the drinks (we saw a lot of people with their own cups), and either book a swim up room or an ocean view (which is what we had).

If you want to go on vacation, be pampered, and enjoy the beautiful uncrowded beach, this is not the hotel for you. Spend the extra money and go to Iberostar Grand or Excellence Punta Cana. It is worth it! Internet was free at Iberostar too which was a plus.

Hope it helps!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kris072
Reviewed 28 July 2011

our reservation was at the NOW, but they upgraded us to Secrets. If you are traveling without children, I highly recommend the move. The pool was never crowded, the beach was amazing and the staff great. The rooms were lovely and big. Great vacation!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank weiss5fam
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Being a travel agent, I get an opportunity to see many resorts and compare star qualities to what they think they are! =) I saw this new take over resort (formally NH Royal) last month. This is adults only and managed by AMResorts which is affiliated with DREAMS, SECRETS, NH and NOW. Next door is the family version called NH Larimar. Staying at the Secrets gives you exchange priviliges with the family resort and in this instance, that is a good thing since the Secrets lacks enough restaurants if you are staying more than 4 nights. Also, the mini casino is located at Larimar and opens at 4 PM I believe, but don't expect much, if you are going to Punta Cana to gamble, either don't stay here or take a cab to the Riu Palace, there you can enter their MUCH bigger casino.

ROOMS: Nice, clean, all redone with Secrets in mind. All rooms are Jacuzzi Jr Suites and the price difference is based on view or location. Swim, up rooms are quiet area but don't recommend spending more money on that category, go for the oceanview. Beach is amazing here but very little movement in the water, bring your own blow up raft and float around the lazy type river that weaves through the property. I go to local drug store and buy them for $4.00 and just leave them there for others to use when I check out.

FOOD: Buffet for breakfast and lunch is good but does not change much. Dinner at the Oceana claims it is ala carte, but technically it is a pre arranged "tasting menu (see attached pic). Next door at Larimar fun sports type bar with great motif, be careful their "Vacation Club" salesmen are camping out there till their office is completed.

SERVICE: Great, people very nice and quick except if you camp out on a chair near lazy river, you never see any wait staff, oh and chairs are SO limited, get up early to grab 2!

INTERNET: Is NOT free unlike other Secret Resorts outside of Punta Cana. 24 hrs was roughly $18.95 per day I believe, but don't quote me exactly on that.

Room Tip: Ocean View
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family