“WONDERFUL RESORT-EVERYTHING WAS "EXCELLENTE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #7 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I've never written a review before but wanted to let others know that our vacation at Secrets was wonderfult!!!!!!! We arrived on 8/8/11 for one week and everything was great with flight, hotel transfers, and room check-in. We checked in at 2:00pm and the room was spacious and very clean. (We loved the double sinks and the large shower stall and separate toilet room). We were greeted with cold wash cloths and champagne. After reading so many horror stories regarding poor air conditioning, quality of food, maid service, language problems, etc., we found NO PROBLEMS with any of these. Our room was meat-locker cold (as my husband refers to it), the food was very good (things were a little different but still good), our maid, Maria, was wonderful and made us cute towel decorations nightly, our mini bar was always stocked daily, and we only spoke English and had no problems with hotel staff understanding what we wanted. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We initally had a problem with the clock radio in our room (no light on the clock) and called the front desk and they were there to replace the clock within 15 minutes.
The pool was like a lazy river and very nice, clean and relaxing. You could enter and exit the pool (with steps) at almost any point when you entered the pool area. We did not have a pool room but my husband and I are beach people so we only used the pool for an hour every day to relax before getting ready to go out in the evening. People who used the pool a lot said the poolside rooms were well worth it. The evening entertainment was great. We enjoyed the Elvis and the Michael Jackson shows and my husband really enjoyed the opening singer for Evis (Reggie Rudolph). All other nights had enjoyable entertainment and the main shows began at 9:15pm every night at the Now Larimar. After the shows we went to the casino (small compared to US casinos) but it was perfect for me because I play blackjack and they always had a $5.00 table open. They had about 30 slot machines and none of them were ever very busy. The casino hours are 7:00pm to 2:00am.
We mainly ate breakfast and lunch at our hotel buffet (La Riviera) and although it was a buffet the atmosphere was that of a regular sit down restaurant as opposed to a large buffet style restaurant. Our hotel had 3 restaurants. Besides the buffet there was the Oceana (seafood) and the Seaside Grill. The food at the Seaside was wonderful. I had a steak (filet) and it was well seasoned and cooked to perfection. (You would have thought it was cooked back in the US.) We didn't eat at Oceana but people said that it was very good. Secrets also has access to Now Larima so we ate at Mecure (French) and it was excellent and a really pretty restaurant, and Spice (Asian grill) and it was my husband's favorite. All in all, we could always find something we liked to eat and if we didn't really care for something, just moved on to something else. Several people in reviews complained about stomach problems so we were sure to take our medicine cabinet with us. (Didn't use any of it.) There were only 2 occasions that I had a bit of an upset stomach and both of them were after I had swallowed quite a bit of salt water when snorkeling. It lasted for a few hours but never interferred with anything. My husband had absolutely no problems.
We initially booked the Now Larimar and then switched to Secrets because it was adults only and we had access to Now Larimar. Secrets was more private and pretty quiet in the evening with a small band near the lobby and Now Larmiar was always hopping in the evening so we had a choice. We were always at the Now Larimar in the evening and since the 2 properties are connected by a short walkway, it was like it was all one larger property. By 11:00pm the entertainment, except for the casino, is over. (There is a disco but I'm not sure of the hours.) My husband really liked Secrets because he never felt that anything was crowded and it was more private, especially if you want things a little quieter and relaxing. The best 2 bars at the hotel were the Rendezvous Bar in the hotel lobby (top notch drinks-including special coffee) and the Marlin Bar on the beach.
In summary, our trip was WONDERFUL-relaxing, fun, and we could have easily stayed another week. The hotel was exceptionally nice and my husband said that when we come back next year he would like to stay at Secrets again. Everything was "EXCELLENTE" and we would highly recommend this hotel. Thanks Secrets for a fabulous vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See you next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: If you spend a lot of time at the pool, poolside rooms (1st foor are nice). Our tropical view was ju...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Natalie R

Reviewed 16 August 2011

Now I'm not going to get into details about the food and drinks. I fully enjoyed the food, and the drinks were great. Now, I've been to the Riu palace and Iberostar's of Punta Cana, and both of them have good food and drinks too. What separates Secrets from the competition is the size of the room, and most of all the Entertainment.

Speedy, Akon, Cari, Blondie, and Stephanie do a great job. Not a minute passed by where I was bored or didnt have something to do. Of all the hotel entertainment crews I've seen, they do the best job.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Secrets and look forward to coming back in December if possible.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Deldabh
Reviewed 16 August 2011

First let me say I am a controller at five star hotel in Chicago so I am going to look at things differently.
I understand that resort has recently changed ownership/management in the past couple months and there is shake out from the change and that is expected. However, there are a couple things that I feel that should be mentioned. First, during check in we told that we got honeymoon package and would given vouchers for the spa/wine when our room was ready. We waited for 2 hours in the lobby before they gave us a room (which is fine) but what occurred during those two hours was not. During that time, we approached by 4 people with, I believe, Vacation Unlimited Club trying to get my sign up with them. Needless to say, I was not pleased with their sales pitch. I mean I am on my Honeymoon and the last I want to do is fight off salesmen asking for personal information and my credit card. Actually, even if I was just on vacation, the last I want to do is deal with people like that. As for the vouchers I was told I was getting? Yea, I have to talk to the Vacation Unlimited people. Thanks, I do not need them that bad. We finally get to our room and it says “Happy Birthday” oppose to “Honeymoon”

We got a laugh from that. Oh, Well.

After we got to our room (swim up) everything was great. Though there were couple things we thought were odd: Some days we got chocolate kisses and others we did not and 1 night we got a swan and rose petals and other just rose petals. 2 days we did not get towels but the room was made up. The last two days we did not get mini bar service and had to call get it refreshed. Here’s my thought on that. Secrets have it in writing that they are going to refill the mini bar once a day. If you are going to put in writing then it must get done.

The last thing that according to the honeymoon package was that we were to get 15% off of the spa. Yea, we did not get that because we did not the vouchers because we did not want to deal with Vacation Unlimited Club. Plus, they refused to take credit cards because they had just moved in to a hotel room (2106? Over at NOW). Luckily, we had the cash.

The reason why I give poor is simply I contacted Secrets directly over 3 weeks ago and I have not heard back at all.

Lastly, about the beach. The people that complain about the seagrass, get over yourself. The earth is 2/3rds water and guess what? Stuff lives there. If you do not like swimming in rivers, lakes etc you are really are not going to like the ocean. There is only so much you can do.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank uscuba2_2011
Resident_Mgr_Asst, General Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2012

Dear Secrets Royal Beach Valued Guest,

Thank you for your time and effort writing a review about your vacation experience at our beautiful Resort Secrets Royal Beach.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences you have encountered during your stay.

We regret not being able to meet your expectations. We take every comment serious and your points of criticism are beneficial suggestions to us to improve the service quality to our valued guests like you.

Thank you again for your genuine feedback.

It will be a great pleasure to be able to serve you again in the future as one of our precious guests.

Respectfully,

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Av. Alemania S/N , El Cortecito, Bávaro Beach
Provincia La Altagracia
Republica Dominicana

Reviewed 16 August 2011

Secrets Royal Beach and Now Larimar are connected. SRB is the adults side, and the Now Larimar allows families, but the facilities are all shared. Larimar guests may not go over to the SRB side, but SRB guests may use all the Larimar facilities, including Preferred Club pools and bars. The whole resort is stunningly beautiful – I felt that both the Secrets Royal Beach side and the Now Larimar side are equally lovely. The whole resort is impeccably clean, and the grounds are a lush, green, well-manicured paradise. Miraculously, there are few bugs. I went the whole week without a single mosquito bite, an impossible feat back in my home Pennsylvania. : )

We enjoyed the food at each of the restaurants, and never experienced a long wait at any of them. The options on the SRB side include a steak/seafood house, a chef’s tasting restaurant, and a buffet, coupled with all the Now Larimar side options, which were another buffet, an Asian spot, a French restaurant, Italian, and an American-style steak house. Over the course of the week, we tried all of them – there wasn’t a bad choice in the bunch, though our favorite was the French restaurant (Mercure) with great crepes Suzette made tableside, flaming. Buffets had a ton of options, and courtesy of the tropical locale, any fruits are as sweet and juicy as they could possibly be.

Beverages are flowing freely and available just about anywhere – most certainly not skimpy on the alcohol. Lobby bars offered up well-made and “pretty” drinks, while the pool bars were mostly hard booze, to cater appropriately to the crowds at each.

The pools were super-clean and spacious. The SRB side has a large pool with swim-up bar and a large lazy river that nearly spans that side of the resort. Many people brought inflatable floats so that they could lounge and drift along the river – a great idea if you want to spend a lot of pool time. The beach had extra soft white sand, as fine as baking flour. The water was lovely blue and while there was a lot of sea grass (mounds and mounds of it) the staff worked daily to keep clearing it as fast as possible. While the tour operators will tell you there are no fish to be seen, we snorkeled and saw several fish despite slightly cloudy waters. If you bring a piece of bread from the buffet, the fish absolutely flock to you! There are lots of water sports available on the beach (included in the resort price) but we didn’t partake of any. We parked ourselves under one of the many, many available palapas (grass umbrellas) that were on the beach. In 7 days, we never had a problem finding available loungers or umbrellas. We did have a lot of issues with towels, however. The towel hut ran out of towels almost every day, and the gentleman manning the station didn’t seem too motivated to restock. Walking soppy wet back to the room can be a slippery proposition with so many smooth marble surfaces on the walkways. A small frustration, but my recommendation is to stop by very early, right after breakfast, to grab your towels before they run out. Or, simply bring your room towels – don’t count on getting them on the beach or you will be disappointed more often than not.

The room was very clean. It was large, with a nice layout and good amenities. The bedroom and sitting area are the main room, nicely appointed, and the bathroom is sizable with a marble walk-in shower, double sink, and small side room with toilet and bidet. Good size bottles of herbal-scented shampoo/conditioner, lotion, and body wash are provided. Bottled water in the bathroom is replenished daily for brushing your teeth.

Generally, service was alright, but not stellar. Our room was clean and the minibar stocked regularly. There were some waitstaff who were really excellent (Maribel at the Steakhouse, and Florentino at Mercure did a great job for us) but overall, we found the service to be “OK.” Our friends who stayed on the Larimar side in the Preferred Club said their room attendant was phenomenal, and ours was just adequate, nothing special. I think this is just a fact that some staff are great and some aren’t…I don’t think it makes a difference which side of the resort you are staying on.

Entertainment was fun. Each night, there were free performances, ranging from magicians to Elvis or Michael Jackson impersonators to circus performances to live music. There was always something enjoyable to watch, and the entertainment staff seemed to enjoy themselves, getting folks involved and keeping the guests happy. There were daily activities poolside, bar games, and exercise or dance routines on the beach or in the pools. Of course, if you preferred to sit it out and just lounge around, that was an option, too!

My biggest gripe at the resort is the timeshare/vacation club pestering. It’s relentless, and they are all over the resort on the SRB and Larimar sides alike, so it’s hard to escape them. They really, really don’t want to take NO for an answer. I feel like the hotel should back them off a bit – you pay a lot for your trip, and you don’t want salespeople pushing you from the first day.

That said, I LOVED this resort, a truly 5-star experience in an absolute paradise of a location. I was nervous after reading some of the negative reviews of Larimar, but I’m totally convinced that these people didn’t really stay at the resort. I’m very lucky to travel a lot, can sometimes be picky, and have to say that this was one of the nicest places I’ve been. If you have the opportunity to visit Secrets Royal Beach or Now Larimar, GO!! You won’t regret it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the restaurants - they are also close to the beach and pool!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dapzilla
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed at this resort for 6 days in July. My mom had passed away recently and we wanted to go somewhere to relax and get away. We got the complete opposite. There was a huge communication barrier. There were issues ordering food and drinks, asking questions, and reporting issues. The rooms were dirty, hair all over floor, and gross stuff all over the bathroom walls. I rather not know what it was. Housekeeping didn't come to clean the room until 10pm. They are stingy on towels, the one day they took all the ones we had and never replaced them. The food has no flavor and the drinks are not good. The beach is disappointing because of how much seaweed there is. You would expect a clean and clear beach going somewhere like this. The pool was small and was not maintained well. We swam in it anyways along with all the bugs that were floating everywhere. If you want an adult only getaway, this is not the place to go, even though it claims to be adults only resort. It's technically a resort split into two (Secrets and Now Laminar). You can go to Now Laminar and dine, but there you will experience the presence of all the kids. Also, the dining is not worth the hour or so wait each time we wanted to try a new restaurant. At the buffet, there was a roach crawling around near the grill area and flies everywhere. We talked to many people there that were experiencing the same issues. I wish I had something positive to say, but unfortunetly nothing seemed to go good. This was by far the worst experience we have ever had on a vacation. I will never come back to this resort or the Dominican Republic.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jabouan
Resident_Mgr_Asst, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2012

Dear Secrets Royal Beach Valued Guest:

Thank you very much for your genuine feedback of the beautiful Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana.

Since you have stayed with us in July 2011 we have had a big change until now in the perfection of our Service quality. We regret that you were not able to enjoy our hotel as expected, while you were staying with us.

In the meantime, we have hired an English teacher to provide English lessons for our Staff. As well we have recruited two awarded executive chefs from Spain to provide excellent food quality. Furthermore a Training and Development Director supervises and controls the Service Standards within the Resort.

We would like to apologise once again for the disappointments you encountered during your stay and we hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to restore your faith in us.
However, we are sorry for not being given the opportunity to fix the situation on-site, because we were not informed about your discomfort.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana and if there is ever anything that we can do for you please let us know.

Yours sincerely,