“Beautiful resort and loved the personal butler!”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 23 August 2010

This was an adult family vacation and we were very glad that it was an adult's only resort. The resort was beautiful however not many flowers. The pool was exceptional. The beach was fabulous and had so many shade huts you never had to worry about getting one no matter what time you went to the beach. The food was okay and pretty much what you would expect from an all inclusive. We did go to the Japenese restaurant and Italian restaurant - both of which were very good. The one thing I must coment on was the staff. Very friendly and willing to serve. Upon arrival we were introduced to our own personal butler - Erick Francoise. This gentleman is a gem. He looked for us everyday to inquire if we needed anything and how he could be of service. The few times we made requests of him, he was able to answer our questions and made arrangements to provide what we needed. He always had a smile on his face and you could tell that he took his job in guest services to heart. Good luck to you Erick - thanks for making our vacation one of the best.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank keepontraveling2010
There are newer reviews for Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana

Reviewed 22 August 2010

Resort was pretty. The stafff was excellent. The food was horrible. The water was full of seaweed. We expected a beautiful beach with water that was azure blue and green. We would go up to the lazy river when we got hot where as normally we would have been in the caribbean. Both my husband and I had to go on penicillin when we returned home because we had a parasite living in our body from the water. We did enjoy the jacuzzi on our patio. It all depends on what you like. If you do for the drinking alone, you are fine. If you like great food and fine wines, this is not the place to go.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sharon011456
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I really was looking forward to this trip and the hotel, but went away feeling as though I could have enjoyed it more if the NH Royal Beach paid a little more attention to detail. Keep in mind that I am not a picky or hard to please person by any means - there were just too many things that were not quite right in my opinion. We were there for 7 days/nights, so we had a decent frame of reference.

First of all, I had anticipated from the reviews that there would be a welcome drink upon check-in, and a fruit basket in the room - we received neither. The room was hot, which I had also kind of expected from the reviews - but it was so hot we could barely sleep the first night. I did complain to the front desk the second day and it was somehow adjusted, but only slightly enough to tolerate. Housekeeping was also a little bit unpredictable. One day the room was not cleaned at all, even though we had the sign out and were gone a large portion of the day. On another day we didn't get a bath mat (?) and on most days only received one washcloth (even though there were two when we checked in).

We had the same problem as another reviewer with the television. A box popped up on our favorite channel saying payment was due. It would not go off, no matter what we tried. I told the front desk the first time it happened, but it continued the rest of our stay.

The service at the buffet, beach and pool was decent, but there were a few times we waited forever for drinks during meals at the buffet. We had to sit and stare at the servers until they noticed we had no beverages in front of us. I also had a weird experience at the pool - I ordered a beer and a shot of mamajuana, and when the female server handed them to me she tried to give me an insulated mug of something. I didn't understand what exactly was in it or what she was trying to do, so she called me a grandma in Spanish and stormed away! I will say the service at the outside lobby bar was excellent, as I never had an empty glass of wine while listening to the bands at night.

I had given the minibar guy a $5 tip and a note in Spanish saying I wanted four beers in the fridge each day (they usually have two in there) and he gave me four the first day but not the rest of the week. The cabinet to the minibar was also broken and I told the front desk, but it was not repaired the whole time (even though minibar restocker dude had to deal with it daily).

The fitness center was kind of a joke. When we went in the first day to check it out, both of the treadmills (there are only two) were out of service. There was one elliptical and one spin-type bike, some free weights and one multi-purpose weight machine.

Room service was okay, but breakfast was an issue. The only breakfast they offered was continental, and you could only get that starting at 6:30. So when we had an early tour and tried to get something to eat at 6am, we were told it would have to be a cheeseburger! Not sure why they couldn't throw some muffins or croissants on a plate, but whatever. When we did order something for lunch or dinner from the limited menu, it did come fairly promptly, though.

Don't even think about shopping in the gift shop near the lobby - we went in there twice to get some necessities and were followed around and stared at like convicts both times. Quite rude and offputting.

It wasn't all bad, mind you. The grounds are beautiful, and the pools and beach are great. I rather enjoyed the cheesy live music in the plaza each night as well. Saw a couple of shows at the Arena side and liked them also. The food in the buffet was fine for an all-inclusive. Most of the staff are wonderful and attentive. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, save for the temperature. The activities at the beach and pool are fun and varied, if you want to partake.

Overall, I had a good vacation (I was on the beach in the Dominican Republic after all!) - but had it not been for all the little hiccups it would have been a lot better.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AtlantaTravelChica
Reviewed 20 August 2010

I have to say this was definetly one of the best resorts, all inclusive hotels I have stayed at. Met some great people traveling solo. The staff was outstanding especially at the pool Bar, Dabid, and the whole staff at the Buffet. The Food was exceptioonal with so many choices of fresh foods.
Thank you for a great Vacation, I'll be back

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 August 2010

This was our second trip to the NH Royal Beach Hotel, our first was in February of this year which was excellent. This trip was from August 11th to August 16th and the weather the whole time was AWESOME. When we first arrived we were greeted by a front desk rep. named "Darling", he remembered us from February and was MORE then helpful with all of our guests. The rooms were spacious and clean, last trip we had a second floor room, this time we chose the ground floor and were more then pleased. The beach was great, more then enough room for everybody, you place towels on your chairs and nobody will bother them, look for a waitress named "Elizabeth" she is fast and always around. The pool is just as good, plenty of room, clean and your bartenders "Manuel" and "Deibe" are awesome. The restaurants are good, but you need to make reservations ahead of time or you will not be able to get in (the only downside) but the Buffet was great, awesome food that changes every day and everything is fresh and a lot of it will be prepared right in front of you, look for either "Gomez" or "Zamora" they were very helpful in seating us in a fast and expedient manner. The casino is small, but if like blackjack, roulette, three card poker and slots, your in. If you are looking to para sail, snorkel, ATV, etc .... Punta Cana has all of that, Also if you want an awesome Booze Cruise look for "Raul" he was very good. Well that sums it up, I give the NH Royal Beach TWO THUMPS UP !!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends