14,951 results
All reviews cascade pool the grill lobster chez isabelle our honeymoon flavor market martini bar las olas swim up bar horseback riding sax player french restaurant bug spray red flag greeted with champagne garden view other resorts
Reviewed 11 December 2017

We just returned from our first visit to the Dominican Republic and the Excellence Punta Cana. We loved the atmosphere and the people. Juan (the number one man) and Erick at the front were the first to greet us with a smile and every day after that. Hector the bartender was great! He delivered and remembered what we were drinking day after day. The food was spectacular no matter where we ate. The Oregano and our waitress Delores was a particular favorite. Their beef tenderloin was scrumptious. The surf and turf at the Magna was spectacular. The buffet breakfast at The Kitchen especially the omelet made by Jose Antonio delicious! We felt like part of the family and will be back. We met a lot of nice people.

Date of stay: December 2017
2  Thank Anna M
Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed at this resort and it was beautiful!!! The only reason for not a solid 5/5 is because I felt the food wasn't outstanding. The best meal we had was at The Grill (on our last night of course)
Other than that the resort itself is amazing and beautiful! The shows were probably my favorite part!

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2017

This was our second trip to the excellence, it was over the thanksgiving holiday. We stayed for 10 days rather than the week the previous stay. The Travel from Seattle requires a bit more air time, so we decided on more fun time this go around, 11 days over 7. This proved to make a huge difference for us. We were there shorty after the remodel. The remodel was amazing, and the little bells and whistles that were added to the club area was more than expected. It did have some challenges, although minor, but they were fixed quickly and efficiently. I really can't say enough about the staff, they all are great about building relationships with the guests. It really shows in the repeat customers, not just the once or twice guests, but the people that seem to pull up residence iat this resort, what I mean by that is. We met so many couples that have come here for years. And as they say, why go elsewhere when you found the best.
I would like to give a shout out to some of the special staff workers that went out of their way to make a difference. In the club dining area. I would go every morning and have coffee and fruit, the fruit was amazingly fresh. But the people there like Sonia, and Willy that not just helped me with coffee and fruit, but also brought much much more to the plate. They brought personality and great conversation and above the board service. At the club pool we were taken care of very well by Robert and Hector, and Johanna. I also want to give a special thanks to Vanessa Dolsi (hope I got the last part of her name right) out of the club check in office. This young lady was EVERYWHERE. It seemed like she was in charge of making our visit the best ever, but reality says she does it for everyone. I kept checking for roller skates because she was always within sight and on the move, loved that lady. It's easy to ramble on when you have such a great memory of your trip. Without a doubt, we will be back. LOVE this place. Thanks to all the staff for making up feel so welcome.

Reviewed 10 December 2017

A brief preface to my review: While it appears this is my first review, I posted several others under a different username and account. This was the 13th vacation for my fiance' and I in the last 4 years and many of those were at other all inclusive resorts including The Valentin, The Royal Playa Del Carmen, Secrets Playa Mujeres, Beloved, Secrets Silversands etc.

It should be noted that our experience may have been affected by three straight days of rain when we arrived and that the resort was at 45% occupancy on our arrival day and went slightly down throughout our week. I am aware that no one should let weather affect their review, but it does make it difficult to really get into vacation mode at the outset and we may have let that deter from our experience.

We were at EPC for one week from Nov 18 to 25, which was a couple weeks after it re-opened post major renovations. We stayed in the basic level room (#8108) and did not opt for Excellence Club. We didn't see value in that at the time of booking and I still believe we made the right choice, for us.

The entire resort is very clean and it has a somewhat tropical even with the recent updates, so you get a nice combination of modern and island feel. The best part of the experience for us, was the staff.

Our maid, mini bar, and turndown service were timely and consistent. The only thing missing was towel art, but we've seen enough to not need that. The room was nice, but not as impressive as a similar level room at The Royal or Beloved. Our ac seemed to run continuously, regardless of what temperature we set the system to. That was easily handled by simply opening the patio door for a while and letting some warm air in. The room didn't have a table or chairs suitable for in room dining and the balcony was fairly small with a table too small for two people to eat at. The water in the shower usually took about 5 minutes to get hot and the open shower design and constantly running ac meant you couldn't truly enjoy a hot shower, as the moment you stepped back from the water stream, you felt the cold of the room. There were lots of clear English tv channels, including two with 24 hour adult programming.

The drinks and food were inconsistent. Two bartenders at the same or different bars using the exact same alcohol, would make two drinks that were greatly different in quality. We quickly learned who could make which drink properly. We had a couple great meals (the beef tenderloin at the French restaurant, the burgers at the Sports Bar) many things that were average to good and a couple (everything we tried at the Tapas spot) that were terrible.

The beach is wide and there were plenty of loungers and good drink service there - that may not be the case when the resort isn't under 50% capacity. The main pool is in need of some repair and the choice of brown tiles makes it appear dirty when it actually isn't too bad. The blue tiles in the new pool give it the look you expect at a 5 star resort.

The nightly shows were the usual fare, although I have to admit the Michael Jackson show (yes...they still exist!) was the best of many I have seen. The bike tour was about 15 minutes long and was mostly the two of us and one staff member riding through mud. I trust it's better if you go when it hasn't been raining for days. The billiard, ping pong and foosball tables by the tennis courts are in better shape than at most resorts. Daytime activities are also the standard resort stuff: aerobics, bingo, dance lessons, Spanish lessons, etc.

There were several staff members that stood out, but almost every interaction was a good one. We found the following employees to be the best of a very good bunch: Dario and David at the front desk, Erick the bellboy who took us to our room and chatted with us during the week, Omar and Willie as bartenders at a couple bars, Dino in the Sports Bar was exceptional, Daniel the assistant manager who checked in with us twice, Saloman, Juan Carlos, who waited on us in various restaurants, and Evelyn who was the hostess the buffet restaurant always had a welcoming smile and greeted us warmly.

In summation, we had a great week, but likely wouldn't return as there are so many places to try and unless a resort really stands out (like The Royal), it just makes sense to experience something new. But, this would be a great choice for someone with a less travel experience, who wants a good experience, but would allow them to know there's better for the future. We just might be a bit spoiled.

For what we paid (just under $2000 each including flight, taxes, everything) this resort was good value. We tipped a lot because the staff deserved it and if you can afford to go, you can afford to help out people who have much less than you do.

If you choose to go to Excellence Punta Cana, you may not be blown away, but you will have a good time and be well cared for. Please show your appreciation to the staff by being polite and tip accordingly.

1  Thank Melomes
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

This hotel and everybody that works here are the best hands down nothing is to much bother everyone s always happy.The food is top notch and the facilities are superb,it's our first trip here but definitely not the last

Trip type: Travelled as a couple