I rented this apartment for my daughter's first birthday. In addition to my husband and daughter, we also brought his mother and my sister along. Please note this review is based on travelling with a one-year-old which comes with a lot of challenges that may not be applicable for the average traveler.
- Proximity to the beach. You have a breathtaking view from the outside patio of the apartment, and it's just steps to the sand and large pool. The apartment's location on the property could not be better. The beach was small but very nice with shaded cabanas and cushioned sun chairs. Even in November, the water was a very enjoyable warm temperature. The water was so blue and gorgeous.
- Luxurious large apartment. The apartment's furnishings both indoor and the large outside patio were extremely nice. Also, the kitchen was well equipped.
- Anna. This rental comes with a housekeeper who is there from mid-morning to late afternoon. She does the laundry, cleans, and cooks breakfast and lunch. While we were there, she made us eggs, pancakes, and bacon for breakfast and the most delicious Dominican meals for lunch. We all agreed Anna's cooking was better than the food we had off property. Especially because we had the toddler, not having to worry about going out or cooking for breakfast and lunch or cleaning was the difference between me having enough time to enjoy the vacation and me just doing my normal mom chores I do at home only with a better view. Anna doesn't speak English, and we don't speak much Spanish, but we got by just fine with google translate on our phones.
-WiFi. We brought our AppleTV and were able to stream Netflix at night. So the WiFi was really good, which I don't think is standard in the DR. Our guests said the Wifi wasn't as good in the guest rooms, but I didn't notice a difference in speed in the living areas and master bedroom than from what I'm used to at home.
-Location. The location of the apartment could be a pro or a con depending on what you are looking for. Cap Cana is an exclusive gated community and very safe. I knew this from my research, so I mostly knew what we were getting. Because we were travelling with a toddler, safety was our number one concern. We also wanted a more "relaxing" vacation versus a "fun" vacation and Capa Cana was good for that as well. If you are looking for lots of restaurants or night life, I would not recommend Cap Cana unless you are OK with renting a car or frequently getting a taxi outside of Cap Cana.
- Value. I love the beach, so we've travelled all over the Caribbean. The DR is a great value. It's not as developed as other locations, but your money goes really far. I couldn't believe the luxurious accomodations, quality of the beach, plus perk of having Anna for what we paid.
- Car. I hate driving on vacation. Especially in a foreign location with a toddler but because there isn't much in Cap Cana, it would have been best to have a car. We didn't rent one, but I'd probably get one next time we go back.
- Dining options. Thank god for Anna, because there were not any good dining locations in Cap Cana. The apartment facility has a restaurant. We only tried it once, and the food was so awful we didn't dare try it again. Another night, we went to the Marina, but it was a ghost town. Only a single restaurant was open. That restaurant was a casual outdoor bar and the food was pretty good, but it was strange what a ghost town the Marina was. It was so dark at night with hardly any lights, and we had to walk really far in the dark to find the restaurant that was open. It felt a little unsafe although it was probably fine because we were still in Cap Cana.
- Groceries. There are no grocery stores in walking distance of the apartment. So if you want groceries, your only option is to have a car or have Angela's property manager deliver the groceries, which was pretty expensive.
- Cash. We brought a few hundred dollars with us, but it ran out quickly because groceries were more expensive than we expected. On our last night, we arranged for a private chef to cook us our Thanksgiving dinner (which was delicious, and I highly recommend,) but we had run out of cash and the chef could not accept a credit card or electronic payment like Paypal. It was a complete ordeal to find cash. There is only one ATM in Cap Cana - at the Marina - and it was out of cash! So we had to have our driver who picked us up to take us back to the airport stop at a mall and find the ATM. The property manager told me even the ATMs at the mall don't always work for foreigners, and sure enough we had to try two different banks before we found an ATM that would give us cash. Next time we go back, I will bring more cash with me.
Overall, we had a wonderful time and I definitely hope to visit again when our kids are older and it's not as hard to travel with them because it is a lovely place for a family beach vacation and a great value.
We had the most amazing time in Cap Cana, thanks very much to Angela! Her apartment is in the prime location, the best spot in the entire compound. The view is incredible and we love the fact that we can see our kids playing at the pool but still have the privacy. With two toddlers, our au pair, mom, hubby and me, this place fits our overall needs and is suitable for everyone.
The booking process was seamless, Angela was very patient and prompt in responding to our questions. Once we arrived at the apartment, we were greeted by Anna, the housekeeper who then spoiled us during our stay. The apartment is clean, spacious and well maintained. Anna even put on the Christmas tree for us – how thoughtful!
We simply couldn’t ask for anything more for our one-week there. We travel a lot as a family and this place now definitely has a special place in our hearts. We are already looking at dates to go back again~
Great time for our family! - We were just steps from the beautiful pool and beach. Very relaxing for all of us! Wished we could have brought Anna (the maid) home with us! Look forward to being able to go back soon!
|How easy was it to book the property?||How easy was key pickup/access to the property?|
|Overall condition of the property||Bedding & mattresses|
|Kitchen & utensils||Bathroom cleanliness|
|Other facilities & amenities||Service|
|Friends getaway||Families with young children|
This is a lovely apartment. It is ecquistely furnished. The beach is steps from the unit. The pool is spectacular. Everything about this resort is great - the staff, the food and the views.