“Highly recommended”

Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #56 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 December 2009

I go to this kind of resort at least twice a year. I always book at a 4-star hotel or better. The Caribe Club Princess is one if not the best 4-star hotel I have seen. And beleive me, I have seen a few... Of course, you can't compare with the Mayfair or the Savoy in London (hey! you're in the Carabeans for Christ sake). But at the end of the day, what is important is how much you have paid for your trip. My wife and I paid $850 each (departing from Montreal). It was all inclusive and we had the best view on the ocean (really!). I have never paid more that $1000 for this kind of trip.

In January, we are going back to the Dominican Republic, but this time at the Bahia Principe San Juan in Puerto Plata.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ExClient_de-Sunwing
Write a ReviewReviews (5,652)

Reviewed 11 December 2009

We stayed 1 week here not long after the resort reopened after closing for 2 months. We travelled with 2 children 4 and 3. This is our second all-inclusive experience and first time in Punta Cana. By the way, the Caribe Club Princess and Tropical Princess are the same resort. The difference is that Caribe guests have access to 5 a la carte restaurants and Tropical guests have 2, but can pay a little extra to dine at the other restaurants.

Arriving in Punta Cana (excellent)
The airport is a beautiful open air building. Going through custom and luggage claim is very fast. We had booked private transfer with IBK servicio (thanks to TA forum recommendation). As we exit the airport, the driver was waiting for us holding a sign. From the plane touching down to arriving at the resort, it took only 1 hour.

Check In (good)
Since we arrived way ahead of the shuttle bus, we were the only family checking in. It was quick, but no welcome drink. No big deal, it’s just that on other days, I noticed that there were. We did get a cold towel from the manager. We arrived at 1:30pm and to my pleasant surprise, the room was ready.

Room (average)
We were given a room in the Cayena building facing the back of another resort with no view at all. The room seems to have been renovated, with the newer, minimalist decor. However, the renovation seems to have left out part of the bathroom. The drainage is not working. We called for repair, and that was fixed very quickly. The towel rod keeps falling off. At one point, the metal support for the shower head fell apart too. That is easily fixed too. And there is no clock in the room. Not up to the standard of a 3/4 star resort, but no big problem. Room is very clean. Due to the stolen ring incident (see below), we later moved to a room in Coralillo building. That was better. Although not renovated, it is bigger with a sunken living room, double vanity, iron/board, and beer in the fridge.

Grounds (excellent)
The resort is absolutely beautiful. The vegetation here is mature and lush. The surrounding is very natural, tropical, with a lot of animals on ground. It's not fancy, very little marble, no art work or sculptures like the more expensive resorts next door. But this is much better price. Also, the layout of the resort is excellent. All the activities, restaurants, rooms are very close together, by the beach. The lobby and theater are farther. Overall, it's compact but not small. And there is a golf cart running all day between the lobby and rooms.

Beach (excellent)
Beautiful! There are plenty of palapas by the beach. We usually arrive at the beach pretty late. It would be hard to find a palapa with 4 chairs. But finding 2 chairs is usually not a problem. It is a little more crowded on the Caribe side with the activities and bar. You have a better chance of finding a palapa by the Tropical side.

Pool (excellent)
There are 3 pools, all with gradual entry and very kids friendly. The main pool is where the bar and activities are. The other two are pretty quite. The pool by the tropical side is unusually beautiful. It’s shallow too, with a wading section for toddlers.

Food (very good)
The food exceeded my expectation. Compare to my previous AI experience, this has a lot more variety. The buffet has a theme every night. The grill is excellent, again different everyday. Even the lunches change from day to day. We prefer the restaurants and made dinner reservations for 5 nights. You can reserve 3 nights at a time. We ate at the Brazilian restaurant twice and skipped the Dominican. We liked the Brazilian, Mexican, and Italian, but didn’t like the Chinese. Some of us did get diarrhea. Afterwards, we realized that it is best to stay away from the salads. The buffet restaurant is open air with no air conditioning. If the food stays out in the heat for a couple of hours, it will be a problem. Cooked food is safer.

Activities and nightly Entertainment (very good)
This resort probably has more activities than most other resorts. We enjoyed the half hour scuba diving lesson. The nightly entertainment is not bad for lack of other activities at that hour. The kids liked the Lion King.

Why the average rating
On our third day, my husband's wedding ring was stolen. The ring wasn't very expensive, so we didn't put it in the safe. I guess we should have been more careful. Still, having our personal items stolen from the room is not what I would expect from a resort like this. After a lot of time wasted on reporting, security investigation, the resort denied that anyone entered our room at the time of the reported loss. I am not surprised. Based on previous reviews, I get the sense that if you don’t run into any problem, the resort is great. But if something unexpected happens, the management/guest service won’t be helpful. We did request a room change to the Coralillo building (after the security investigation, the maids at Cayena were all staring at us). The new room is slightly better.

Renovation going on
Part of the resort is still under renovation at the time of our stay, including La Rumba theater, mini golf, and the gazebo on the bridge. So, these are closed. It’s a little disappointing because the kids would have liked to do the mini golf.

Others
There are vendors at the resort, yes. But if you tell them a firm no, they don’t really bother you. On weekends, the resort has many locals come in. The pool and buffet does get more crowded, but I find their behavior to be quite discreet, and wasn’t bothered by them at all. There are mosquitoes at the resort, not many. We did apply insect repellent diligently from dusk to dawn, and none of us were bitten.

Overall, we had a great time. If it weren’t for the stolen ring incident, I would recommend this resort. If you are looking to book this resort, just be aware that you are in a third world country, and use some

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank Aurora09
Reviewed 2 December 2009

Four of us stayed the final 9 days of a 2 week vacation at the Caribe Club Princess; traveling with a group (FARRT Group, Friends And Relatives Reunion Tour) of 63 Canadians and Americans, adults and children, that travel together every Thanksgiving week. Four of us came down a week early to make sure the coolers were well stocked for the 59 arriving on Nov 22nd. The resort was just re-opening after a total renovation so they had put us up at their sister resort, the Punta Cana Princess for the 1st 5 days. See that review also. We wandered over to the Carbe on the 6th day about noon, went into the lobby and there was about 6 great people there to greet us and get us checked in; providing us with a teriffic welcoming drink, showed us our rooms, brought us back to the Punta Cana Princess to pick up our stuff, and returned us to our new digs. If I remember correctly, there was a total of 16 guests registered that first day and they treated us like royalty. I can't say enough about the service everyone provided throughout our 9 day stay; absolutely outstanding! Beautiful grounds (absolutely beautiful walk between the Lobby and the actual resort buildings), rooms, pool, beach, etc, etc. There were a few very minor gliches being that we were the first 4 people checked in and they getting up to speed after a 3 month layoff, but overall everything was great. Fantastic food, speciality restaurants, pool, beach and if I haven't said it before, outstanding personal service and hospitality. Make sure you check out the Beach Bar with Kelvin and the pool bar with Jose Obama. two outstanding representatives for the Princess group. Both deserve Employee of the Month Awards if they offer them. The group has been to over 10 different resorts and I would rate this one very close to the top. My wife and I have visited probably 20 resorts and we also rank this one close to the top, if not the top of the list. And I won't even talk about value as our Travel Agent, Doug Dixon of Orion Travelinx, Charrisma Travel Group, Burlington Ontario searches throughout the year for good deals for our size group. He did an outstanding job again this year for us; and he travels with us each year!

We had seen this resort while walking along the beaches druing previous stays in Punta Cana and never realized how great a resort that it is. We certainly enjoyed our stay and plan on returning. I would highly recommend this resort to singles, couples, groups, families and anyone looking for a great resort. Tim Fagerstrom

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tim_JanAshville_NY
Reviewed 30 November 2009

For the price, a great little resort. We had pre teens, teenagers and people from 20 to 70 and everyone had a great time. Minor inconveniences such as 1 key for the room, keys not working, cold water in shower but nothing major. A la cartes were good as was buffett. Great shuttle service around the resort but I loved the walk through the Mangroves to the Lobby. Casino was fun, one of our group won 300, I lost 20 and quit. I saw one show Lion King and was pleasantly surprised about how good it was. The cleanliness and beauty of the resort grounds was extraordinary. Minor things are needed such as painting and repairs but the staff were the friendliest, most smiling people I have encountered in 30 trips the past 10 years. We have stayed at Riu and Ocean Sands in Punta Sands both great but fot the price the Caribe was tops. Not fancy but fun. Just a smile and Hola to everyone and you will have a great time. Give an Hola tl Calvin at the beach bar and Ester in the Buffett restaurant

• Stayed: November 2009
3  Thank faarttour
Reviewed 13 October 2009

This hotel is incredible. The rooms were amazing, the beach was beautiful and the restaurant was ridiculous, in a good way. The service we received at this hotel was great, the one think that sticks in my mind is the drinks. The barmen were so friendly, you could actually have a conversation with them and they would let you experiment with cocktails. Free water 24/7, which I thought was a great service. The only thing I didn't like was the walk from reception to the room. It's wetlands and as people tend to feed the birds, when you walk past them, the chase you and it's scary!!!! Also, there are toads that sit on the path at night. Don't worry though all the above can be avoided by taking the train. Definitely go to this hotel, try and stay away during USA holidays, the yanks were a nightmare. Can't handle there drink and scream state chants all afternoon!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple