“Nice Place for the Price”
Review of Occidental Caribe

Occidental Caribe
Ranked #60 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 10 October 2007

Aside from being shocked by the air conditioner controls while not wearing shoes, the room was nice, and cleaned daily. the floors are tile so if you don't have the air conditioning pumped the floor will be wet and slippery. DR is very humid so a lot of things are wet there unless air conditioned which would somewhat explain getting shocked by the air conditioning controls. all the rooms have a balcony which is nice, ours overlooked the pool which was huge and beautiful with a pool bar in the middle which was a lot of fun in the afternoon. we met a lot of nice people there. the room we had also had an ocean view which was nice, we could see the waves breaking way out from shore in the sea. the beach at this hotel is gorgeous, one of the best i have seen within walking distance of the hotel. we walked down the beach a ways past other hotels that were more expensive but their beach did not compare to ours. the waves were nice if you like to boogie board. i beleive there are other hotels further down in the bay area that hardly have any waves on the beach so it depends on your preference. we had a really nice time at this hotel. it wasn't 5 stars but for the price you cannot beat this hotel for all inclusive especically if you love the beach and pool scene.

bring a raft and big insulated cups for them to make drinks for you in. the cups they give you are about 6oz cups for drinks and beers. bring snacks too, you will get sick of the food after a while and if you want a bag of chips get ready to spend $10, no joke. about $50 if you want to buy a raft there. also bring lots of small bills. they hold on to the american dollar like it is gold there. you will have a hard time getting change, only in pesos. bring lots of singles and fives and tens. also having exact change for everything is key, they will always tell you they can't give you change so that you will tell them to just keep it, seems to be the theme of the island.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Str8outathe201
There are newer reviews for Occidental Caribe

Reviewed 10 October 2007

This was the vacation from hell!. The only good thing I have to say about this hotel is that the beach was indeed beautiful, but, the rest was from just downright horrible to bad. First, stop the merengue music!!!...If you think you will be able to take a nap in the room after a nice couple of hours at the beach, think again!..There was constant and loud (I mean really loud) merengue music and noice constantly from 10AM to 11PM. It was impossible to be in the room and watch TV or just take a nap!!..impossible!. We had a nice oceanview room but due the the constant loud music, we were forced to be out of the room until they finally shut up the music at 11PM every night. We came home even more tired than we got there. Apparently the hotel staff assumes that everyone wants to hear that merengue music (and by the way, the same music every day ..seems the DJ only had one CD) all day!...Wrong! We asked for a room change but the room they gave us was worse that the original one. The property is shaped as a horseshoe with the "theater" and the mega speakers right in the middle by the pool, so there is no escaping the noise. If you want a place to relax, dont stay here!..if you are looking to party all day and night, then fine. The food was OK..no fresh fruit juices...all from concentrate or powdered...Drinks were terrible!..they cant fix a daiquiri or margarita to save their lives!..they just mix whatever looks like what you are asking and thats it. We also got some kind of stomach virus there..diarrhea!!..Bottomline dont stay at this hotel. save yourself the agony and the staff could not care less.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 4 October 2007

This is for all the Brits considering going to this hotel.................................GO!!. We had booked our holiday then I had read the bad reviews from mainly our American Cousins and was dreading it. Am I glad we did go ( I don't know what they want for their dollars). Firstly, the check in, this took 10 mins tops with a complimentry cocktail on arrival, we were very impressed with the hotel straight away, it looked very grand.

Room - We were in Block 3 with an ocean view. We arrived at our room which was very clean and did smell slightly of damp, however after a few minutes you didn't notice it. The room was a bit dated, the odd chipped tile,but had a telly, iron etc. The maid/mini bar service was excellent, we tipped $10 at the start of the first week and again on the second week, which is a huge amount of money to the locals. The only down side for me as a light sleeper, is that the main buffet restaurant is located in Block 3 and the staff start work at 4:30am, which woke me most mornings, but my wife had no trouble sleeping through the noise.

Food - On arrival we were allocated pre-booked reservations to all the restaurants and changed two of them later in the week without any trouble at all. Food quality/choice is very good, waiter/waitress service was excellent. If you are pleasant/friendly with them, they were great fun to be with. I did notice some people treating the waiters like thier own personal staff, so maybe this is why they complain about poor service!!.

Bars - Bar service was again excellent, even at peak times we only waited a couple of minutes to be served. The cocktails were great and the measures were huge, named brands are also free.

Resort - The facilities were great loads to do if you wanted, beech and pool were fab ( don't take beech towels, they are supplied free). I suggest you have a photo shoot, we did and got 65 professional quality photos for £130, you can buy as many as you want, plus you have a great time posing for them in the sea etc.

Entertainment - The entertainment staff were fantastic, they are so full of energy all day/night long. The shows are good and professionaly done and didn't finish too late if you wanted an early night.

I hope you find this helpful and enjoy your stay as much as we did.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
13  Thank Nickoj
Reviewed 29 September 2007

We checked in on Saturday, September 22 with great difficulty. There is no system for line control and everyone just was huddled around the counter. This was our first negative experience. We had the unfortunate luck of checking in along with many locals who were staying for the weekend. We were at the counter when the clerk ignored us and checked in the locals ahead of us. We had an upgrade to an ocean view and were told the room would be ready in 20 minutes. We had a drink at the lobby bar and were given drinks with no ice. After repeated trips to the counter, we finally got our room two hours later.
When trying to get a drink or food, we felt invisible with all the locals getting served first. While waiting in line for shish-kabob, every local was served and when it came down to the last two shish-kabobs, I was standing there along with a local. The cook put both kabobs on the local's plate to my astonishment and left my plate empty. One of the grill cooks in the buffet burned my eggs on purpose and was grabbing his crotch while cooking them. Not every employee was this bad, but the few that were made the experience unpleasant.
The shows were terrible and never started on time. The entertainment people often gave wrong information about the events.
The resort itself was not bad - the rooms were clean and the ocean and pool were wonderful.
The food was ok, the restaurants were adequate, nothing special.
We chose this resort because we stayed at the Barcelo in Mexico and had a wonderful experience. It's a shame that the attitude of the employees in Punta Cana are damaging the reputation of the resort.

Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank JerseyTraveler01
Reviewed 25 September 2007

Don't listen to the negative reviews from others on here. After reading the reviews, I was pretty skeptical about even going.

However, almost everything that was said is entirely UNTRUE.
- The staff always greeted us with a smile
- Check-In took, oh, I don't know,.....about 4 minutes!
- Never had a power failure
- A/C *always* worked
- Rooms were immaculate

A few points to take into consideration. Tipping and speaking Spanish go very far there. I gave the pool bar bartender (Maribel) 30 bucks, and I thought she was ready to come back home with us! And, if you make an honest attempt at speaking Spanish, it's appreciated. I was lucky enough to have my fiancee with me, and Spanish is her first language. Made all the difference!

We stayed in Building 7, and had an ocean/pool view. The outside shows are right there, though, so if you are travelling with small children who need an early bedtime, might want to avoid the oceanview rooms, because the shows get pretty loud.

One more point I would like to make known (which noone will tell you) I feel that there is a bit of a racket going on with the sale/export of Mamajuana (it's a drink there. Kindof their novelty thing) You can't get it through customs, unless you put Rum in it. When I got to customs, they told me it wouldn't pass, and I had to buy a bottle of rum at the airport, to fill the bottle up. Before I could even utter a word, the guy had a bottle of rum in his hand, and told me the cost. Just a little bit of "Traveler Beware" for you!

Have a great time! I wish I was back there!!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1.5 km away
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
#63 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Occidental Caribe? Share your experiences!