Occidental Caribe
Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$322
Bookit.com
US$293
US$188
US$252
US$205
Savings alert! 34% below average rates

The price you found is 34% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$311/night.

US$315
US$246
  • Breakfast included
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$293
US$229
US$395
US$288
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Punta Cana Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$342
US$252
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$391
US$288
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$322/night.

The MT Hotel(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$63
US$49
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$392
US$289
10,237 results
All reviewsgabriel chocolatequiet poolswim up barclub premiumrock climbing wallrenovated roomocean viewkids pooltex mexa la carte restaurantsbeautiful beachseafoodpalm treesgreat vacationpicky eaterfamily vacationrecommend this resort
Reviewed 10 October 2007

This was the vacation from hell!. The only good thing I have to say about this hotel is that the beach was indeed beautiful, but, the rest was from just downright horrible to bad. First, stop the merengue music!!!...If you think you will be able to take a nap in the room after a nice couple of hours at the beach, think again!..There was constant and loud (I mean really loud) merengue music and noice constantly from 10AM to 11PM. It was impossible to be in the room and watch TV or just take a nap!!..impossible!. We had a nice oceanview room but due the the constant loud music, we were forced to be out of the room until they finally shut up the music at 11PM every night. We came home even more tired than we got there. Apparently the hotel staff assumes that everyone wants to hear that merengue music (and by the way, the same music every day ..seems the DJ only had one CD) all day!...Wrong! We asked for a room change but the room they gave us was worse that the original one. The property is shaped as a horseshoe with the "theater" and the mega speakers right in the middle by the pool, so there is no escaping the noise. If you want a place to relax, dont stay here!..if you are looking to party all day and night, then fine. The food was OK..no fresh fruit juices...all from concentrate or powdered...Drinks were terrible!..they cant fix a daiquiri or margarita to save their lives!..they just mix whatever looks like what you are asking and thats it. We also got some kind of stomach virus there..diarrhea!!..Bottomline dont stay at this hotel. save yourself the agony and the staff could not care less.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 4 October 2007

This is for all the Brits considering going to this hotel.................................GO!!. We had booked our holiday then I had read the bad reviews from mainly our American Cousins and was dreading it. Am I glad we did go ( I don't know what they want for their dollars). Firstly, the check in, this took 10 mins tops with a complimentry cocktail on arrival, we were very impressed with the hotel straight away, it looked very grand.

Room - We were in Block 3 with an ocean view. We arrived at our room which was very clean and did smell slightly of damp, however after a few minutes you didn't notice it. The room was a bit dated, the odd chipped tile,but had a telly, iron etc. The maid/mini bar service was excellent, we tipped $10 at the start of the first week and again on the second week, which is a huge amount of money to the locals. The only down side for me as a light sleeper, is that the main buffet restaurant is located in Block 3 and the staff start work at 4:30am, which woke me most mornings, but my wife had no trouble sleeping through the noise.

Food - On arrival we were allocated pre-booked reservations to all the restaurants and changed two of them later in the week without any trouble at all. Food quality/choice is very good, waiter/waitress service was excellent. If you are pleasant/friendly with them, they were great fun to be with. I did notice some people treating the waiters like thier own personal staff, so maybe this is why they complain about poor service!!.

Bars - Bar service was again excellent, even at peak times we only waited a couple of minutes to be served. The cocktails were great and the measures were huge, named brands are also free.

Resort - The facilities were great loads to do if you wanted, beech and pool were fab ( don't take beech towels, they are supplied free). I suggest you have a photo shoot, we did and got 65 professional quality photos for £130, you can buy as many as you want, plus you have a great time posing for them in the sea etc.

Entertainment - The entertainment staff were fantastic, they are so full of energy all day/night long. The shows are good and professionaly done and didn't finish too late if you wanted an early night.

I hope you find this helpful and enjoy your stay as much as we did.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
13  Thank Nickoj
Reviewed 29 September 2007

We checked in on Saturday, September 22 with great difficulty. There is no system for line control and everyone just was huddled around the counter. This was our first negative experience. We had the unfortunate luck of checking in along with many locals who were staying for the weekend. We were at the counter when the clerk ignored us and checked in the locals ahead of us. We had an upgrade to an ocean view and were told the room would be ready in 20 minutes. We had a drink at the lobby bar and were given drinks with no ice. After repeated trips to the counter, we finally got our room two hours later.
When trying to get a drink or food, we felt invisible with all the locals getting served first. While waiting in line for shish-kabob, every local was served and when it came down to the last two shish-kabobs, I was standing there along with a local. The cook put both kabobs on the local's plate to my astonishment and left my plate empty. One of the grill cooks in the buffet burned my eggs on purpose and was grabbing his crotch while cooking them. Not every employee was this bad, but the few that were made the experience unpleasant.
The shows were terrible and never started on time. The entertainment people often gave wrong information about the events.
The resort itself was not bad - the rooms were clean and the ocean and pool were wonderful.
The food was ok, the restaurants were adequate, nothing special.
We chose this resort because we stayed at the Barcelo in Mexico and had a wonderful experience. It's a shame that the attitude of the employees in Punta Cana are damaging the reputation of the resort.

Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank JerseyTraveler01
Reviewed 25 September 2007

Don't listen to the negative reviews from others on here. After reading the reviews, I was pretty skeptical about even going.

However, almost everything that was said is entirely UNTRUE.
- The staff always greeted us with a smile
- Check-In took, oh, I don't know,.....about 4 minutes!
- Never had a power failure
- A/C *always* worked
- Rooms were immaculate

A few points to take into consideration. Tipping and speaking Spanish go very far there. I gave the pool bar bartender (Maribel) 30 bucks, and I thought she was ready to come back home with us! And, if you make an honest attempt at speaking Spanish, it's appreciated. I was lucky enough to have my fiancee with me, and Spanish is her first language. Made all the difference!

We stayed in Building 7, and had an ocean/pool view. The outside shows are right there, though, so if you are travelling with small children who need an early bedtime, might want to avoid the oceanview rooms, because the shows get pretty loud.

One more point I would like to make known (which noone will tell you) I feel that there is a bit of a racket going on with the sale/export of Mamajuana (it's a drink there. Kindof their novelty thing) You can't get it through customs, unless you put Rum in it. When I got to customs, they told me it wouldn't pass, and I had to buy a bottle of rum at the airport, to fill the bottle up. Before I could even utter a word, the guy had a bottle of rum in his hand, and told me the cost. Just a little bit of "Traveler Beware" for you!

Have a great time! I wish I was back there!!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
9  Thank capoeirafanDC
Reviewed 22 September 2007

I'm not very fond of tropical temperatures, but the weather in Dominican Republic in august was OK. I mean around 32°C, it felt very warm but not "hothot" that we couldn't catch a breath. We stayed there 15days. The hotel looks very nice from outside but inside there are differences: the right part of the hotel (the buildings nr 5,6,7) are less attractive inside, the double-row corridors are gloomy and dark; but the left side of the hotel (the buildings nr 1,2,3) looks and feels much more luxurious, the round corridor in the building nr3, where we stayed, is actually a balkony looking at the entrance of the hotel, and the room - looking at the beach which is 50m from there. We stayed on the top floor, where the rooms have a high ceiling with wooden beams all over. That added extra luxury to it. And! And we could see the mounatin chain from there - the highest peak in the Caribbean named Pico Duarte (3,087 m / 10,128 ft above sea level) . There are two beds in a room of about 1m20 each, so very large and comfortable. There's cable TV in many languages, a glass covered desk to write some stylish letters to your family (;) ), a mini kitchen to make some dominican coffee or tea and a bar filled up daily. There's a big closet for hanging clothes and chest of drawers with enough room for all you stuff. The bathroom was rather big and clean and much less ruined then in a roomin the other part of the hotel. The description of this ex-Breezes Hotel says that it hes been being renovated since it had become Bavaro, but I don't think there's much difference, even the stuuf claims "nothing has been renewed".

The both lobbies at the ground floor are nice and airy, there are nice "colonial" chairs and always a lot of people in the evening having their drinks. The drinks, the beer and beverages are very good, and the service is very good too, although the room mainteinance was late, at 18h, so most of the time just when we came back from the beach....

The buffet-restaurant was excellent, very good food and so diversified, and every day different (at least the main dishes). There's local kitchen, american, french,italian, japanese, etc.. There are also few theme-restaurants where you receive your reservation for:
• the dominican (don't remember the names), which was teh worst, the whole dinner from ordering to leaving took us 30min. the food was rewarmed (5 times if not more), the atmpsphere was cold and gloomy, although the waiter were doing their best. But if you can, I advise not to go there. Pitty, 'cos they should make publicity for thier own cuisine...
• the italian, was already much better, the dinner and the desserts, better, good wine, cozy interior
• the french, where the cuisine was very good, I had a salmon steak and it was prepared just like it should be. The house wine again good.
• the mexican, it's one of the bars outside, before the beach, that they transform. The food was very good, the atmosphere with colourful lampions and under the cane umbrella's... nice!
• the japanese, which was supposed to be a treat, withe the tepanyaki show. There was but two tables further, our cook wasn't trained that well yet, I suppose. Nevertheless, dinner was very delicious, finished with a bol of ice-cream fried in deep oil (!!!).

I have a nice memory of this funny, overenergetic, overenthousiastic dominican (I think) waiter, who was there (he was everywhere!!!) from dawn till dusk, running through the restaurant, constantly singing and calling "ola! olaola!!" and serving people, making tables all the time. Amazing!!

Outdoor activities: plenty, no chance to get bored, huge, deep and with islands swimming pool; the pool bar (with some superdrunk British, sorry... but it's true), outside restaurants and bars, and whirlpools, and chess, and volleyball, and trepeeze (I did it, it was FUN!), and climbing, etc, etc..... Every day a show in the amfitheater, which we could watch from our balkony).

Worth mentioning: if you want to lay on the beach under the umbrella, go there early in the morning (the 8h rule is not always respected) and put your beach towels under one of your choice. Generally your reservation is respected by others, even if you leave your place unattended for lunch.

The beach is the nicest here, because the hotel stand on the beach almost, has the shape of a bow closing around its private beach - it is the last one in a row, so that you have an undisturbed view on the island towards the sunset and the atlantic. Perfect beach to take nice romantic pictures.

If you go there with your partner it will be luxurious holidays to remember and you 'll come back with beautifull fotos.

!!! Go for a long walk along the beach towards other hotels and around "the corner" you will be able to admire a huge shipwrack sticking out of the ocean some few hundres meters away from the beach.

Orange is the network/telephone prvider. Works good.

I could write and write, but I will stop now :))) Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank goldayao