“AMAZING!!!”
Review of Occidental Caribe

Occidental Caribe
Ranked #60 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 25 September 2014

Staff was wonderful. Juana by the Adult pool remembered our drink order and kept us with a fresh drink all day, everyday. Brazilian restaurant was our favorite. Hotel is extremely clean. It is gorgeous. Very large property so be prepared to walk if you are near ocean or to wait a few minutes for the golf carts to give you a lift. We came here after 24 hrs at another hotel, and Hard Rock staff did a great job of making our vacation amazing!

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Marcos C, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2014

Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share this positive feedback with us on Tripadvisor.

It's nice to hear that we have met your expectations and that in general our hotel, staff and service was of your liking and satisfaction. We will pass your impressions to Juana whom will be happy to know about your kinds comments.
We wish to welcome you back to our Barceló Punta Cana!!!

Reviewed 25 September 2014

After travelling throughout the country for four weeks I wanted to treat my boyfriend to a day and night at a resort as it was my last day and his birthday.
I had called the hotel beforehand to ask if they could arrange something for his birthday like a cake which I would have been happy to pay for. I was told that it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately at our arrival I was told that it wasn't possible the same day only the next day which was the day of my departure so we could not enjoy the dinner they offered and the cake came one day too late. It was a nice gesture but just not what I had expected as I had called beforehand to arrange it and simply one day too late.
The hotel reviews were very positive which Is why I chose it. After having stayed there I feel like they went to a different place. Our bed was like a nest. It had a huge dip in the middle and it was absolutely impossible to sleep in it unless you are a hen. Luckily they changed us to another room (at 11pm) we were so exhausted that we did not even want to mention the waterfall running from the ceiling of our bathroom and stayed in the "new" room.
To keep the rest short:
There is a huge construction site at this point. They are either renovating or building a pool. It is very noisy.
The cocktails are absolutely aweful and I have never had worse wine in my life. We mainly drank water or coke as the quality of the spirits is so poor that you cannot drink them neat either. Remember it was the birthday of my partner! Crazy! Go for beer. Probably the only drinkable booze in the hotel. Cuba libre was tolerable but due to the poor quality of the rum also not very good.
The hotel itself is nice and seems clean. The rooms, especially the bathrooms are a bit dated and seem overpriced. The beach and the pool area are nice and the Staff is friendly and helpful. Entertainment was dreadfully boring and long-winded, the discotheque smells like puke.
The food is okay. They have a good choice if you like meat and lots of different pastries. I have been to an all inclusive hotel before and the food quality and selection was much better but I guess it was good at Barcelo. You have to mind the schedule though because otherwise you can only get low quality burgers with half cold fries.
Wifi is NOT included and costs about $12 per day and per divice which is outrageous.
All in all for me it was a very disappointing experience and I would not recommend the hotel. Having read about others I suppose there are worse places to stay but the beach is the same everywhere in Punta Cana. However with the money spent on that hotel you can spend sleeping in a good place and have lovely fresh fish right at the beach at any place in the DR whist still saving money. I am glad we travelled so much. It is a beautiful country and has many wonderful places and a rich culture to offer.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RebeccaEr
Marcos C, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2014

Dear Guest.

On behalf of the whole Barceló Team, please accept our sincere apologies for any instance of inconvenience experienced during your stay with us. Please rest assured that your experiences are certainly not the norm of our service levels or standards, as we at Barceló pride ourselves on providing a quality vacation experience for all our valued guests..

In reference to your comment about the cake; the process to have cake done for a birthday, is that one of the party have to go directly to guest service office to order the cake lastly one day in advance.

Regarding the bed in the room, please be informed that we are always changing the beds for new ones, just to have comfortable beds and furniture in our rooms, that our costumers can relax and have a good sleep.

Concerning the discotheque; please be informed that we do our best possible to keep our public areas as clean as possible and free of odor.

Furthermore we very much regret to learn that our entertainment did not meet your expectations fully but are happy to inform you that we mostly receive positive comments on our entertainment program. We offer a diversified program during the day and we have different show at night.

concerning to your comments about drinks, we had a meeting with our A&B manager where all points raised were discussed in detail with him. We will monitor our guests comments especially in this area.

Please be informed that we had an emergency with some broken pipes in one of our pools, due to this reason we had to close the pool for a few days, this was not in our plan, unfortunately things happen. We really much lament that we felt short of your expectation.

We look forward to welcoming you on a future occasion, in this way show our commitment for service and customer satisfaction, and quality assurance stamp of our Barceló Hotels & Resorts family.

Sincerely.

Reviewed 23 September 2014

The hotel was horrible! The hotel has no idea of what customer service is. Friday night we called three times to have someone check the a/c which was broken and have someone check a leak in the bathroom, someone showed up 3 hours later and said that the a/c was broken. Yet the staff did not change our room after repeated requests and after stating that my child who is three had a really bad outbreak do to the heat. The bathroom was absolutely gross. In the corners were what seem like lizard/roach poop. The smell of humidity was overwhelming. Left early. Do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

4  Thank Lcheas
Marcos C, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2014

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your recent holiday experience with the TripAdvisor community.

We are disappointed to read the inconveniences presented during your stay especially with your rooms and the bathroom cleanliness. We thank you for bringing these matters to our attention for us to make sure to improve with the departments involved.

It is our sincere desire to have the opportunity to welcome you in the near future to our resort again, so we can show that the situations described in your feedback does not correspond to our performance and service overall. We strongly believe that the next time putting our best efforts, we will be able to exceed your expectations, so that we can regain your confidence in our company.

Reviewed 22 September 2014

Here is a fast review if you don't want to read all the details:
- The beach of this hotel is the best I ever been to in the Dominican Republic, asking the locals outside the hotel they confirmed this as well. The hotel cleans the beach every night of seaweed, trash etc.. some areas also have rocks which colorful fish hang around at, awesome for snorkeling.
- The staff will make your stay incredible, if you only speak English, I suggest learning a few words in Spanish, almost all the staff speaks great English, but they light up when seeing a foreigner ask for something in Spanish. Magalis, one of the managers there, will make sure you are well taken care of if you are unhappy about anything, I will talk more about her on the lengthy part of the review.
The pool is always kept very clean as well, they have two big adult pools and one kids pool. One adult pool has a pool bar, and alot of the entertainment happens there, the other adult pool is kept quiet for relaxing.
- The hotel, as with almost every all inclusive hotel in Dominican Republic, have an entertainment staff, they go around making activities, games, etc... At this hotel the entertainment staff is always doing something, between organizing a volleyball game, a pool game, yoga, Spanish lesson, or a bingo game etc... They make it so there is always something to do for every liking, we never felt bored.
- Speaking of feeling bored, the hotel has alot to do, daytime you can enjoy activities at the pool and beach, at night they have music around lobby for you to enjoy before or after dinner, at 9:30 they have a huge theater that you can enjoy nice live shows, I recommend you to never miss any, because some are just amazing, at late night you can either dance at the disco or play pool and enjoy a drink at the sports bar.

Full personal review:
Me, my wife and our 8 month baby came to visit this hotel last week, we had come here previously when my wife was pregnant and had a great experience, but this time the staff went above and beyond to make us happy. At the restaurants, whenever our baby got fussy, the waiters would come and talk to him and cheer him up, allowing us to enjoy our meal, they would also sit us at the best areas for the baby. The pizza restaurant facing the beach is amazing, you get a nice, open, panoramic view of the ocean, the male server there, which I don't remember the name, was very courteous and fast, even though we were finishing our drinks fast and the place was full, with only him and a lady serving everyone we never had our glass empty and never had to call him, the first time I went there I told him, I want a sprite now and a beer when the pizza comes, and he remembered that throughout the stay and would always bring that to me. Magalis, one of the managers at the hotel, is by far the most professional and caring hotel manager we have ever encountered, me and my wife have been in over 50 different hotels and resorts, and have never met such a great manager, she made herself available at all times, instead of just sitting at her office all day having the front desk handle all guest concerns, she would walk around guess areas, making sure everyone was having a great time, and making herself easily approachable, I felt like she was part of my family, which is saying alot for someone working at the hotel you are staying. The beach is nice and clean, it has plenty of trees for shade, and clear space closer to the water for sunbathing, the trees also allow you to look at the land and enjoy a natural view with the hotel hidden behind the trees. The kids pool is amazing, the water is low enough for our 8 month baby to have fun in, and has water slides and stuff for the bigger kids to climb and play at, they have an adult relaxing pool, with water jets, Jacuzzi and other pool entertainment, this pool is kept quiet from the hotel entertainers, and if you want some peace and quiet at your pool this is the one to go, the other pool is more of the party pool, it is very large, has a pool bar and is closer to the beach. They also have a hot Jacuzzi area that I didn't go to, but I could see some people relaxing at them. The food at the restaurant is very good, some plates were amazing, some were just OK, also, make sure you don't order your steak well done unless you like chewy hard steak, I asked mine medium every time and there was never any blood, the meat was always nice and tender, but when you say well done, they really cook that thing all the way to almost overcooking it, the buffets also have a good selection of food, and everywhere there is also great food presentation, they make your plates real pretty. The drinks at the bar are ok, they don't use expensive liquor, you have to pay extra for those, but the people make the drink really well, and you can ask for as much liquor as you want so, if you are looking to get drunk there, just ask them to load it up and they will without hesitation, just make sure that when you want to slow down to let them know else they will just keep serving you strong drinks. Some people have complained about the rooms of this hotel, but when we went they were doing renovations to all the rooms, and we got a renovated room which was amazing, so if you are planning on going there in a few months you should have no problem getting a renovated room, the housekeepers keep the room really clean though, if you really want to be pampered, pay a little extra and get a suite, we upgraded to a suite because we needed more room for the baby, and boy they are nice, if you are a person that likes to be pampered and have everything really nice, save your money from a 5 star resort, and just go to this one, get a suite, and get a couple of massage sessions, they do them either on a room or at the beach, get a gala lobster dinner (which is amazing btw) and order your drinks top shelf, you will still spend alot less than booking a 5 star hotel with nothing included. Another feature I forgot to mention is that this hotel also had a kids club, you can leave your kid there as long as they are of a certain age (4 years old I believe), it always has at least one staff on duty there, and it is safe for kids under 1 year old with their parent. They have a sports bar with pool tables, which they just renovated, it is really nice, they also have a game room next to it with ping pong tables, pool tables and other stuff but no bar so that teenagers can hang out. There is alot more to be said, they provide free kayaks, snorkels, and other water activity stuff at the hotel, there is alot to do, I recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to visit a beach all inclusive resort anywhere,

Room Tip: Just ask the front desk, depending on what is going on at the hotel certain areas can be louder than...
4  Thank Franco M
Marcos C, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having chosen our Hotel as your holiday destination with your family and for taking the time to write us and letting us know about your impressions and the pleasant experience you had during your stay with us. We especially appreciate your positive comments related to the service provided by our team.

It is a pleasure to share your comments to Magalis who will be very pleased to receive your news. We are very grateful for letting us know that you have enjoyed your stay with us, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our Barceló Punta Cana and to have the opportunity to continue providing the most memorable vacations with your family.

We hope that your experience with us stays as a special memory and that come many more visits.

Reviewed 22 September 2014

Just came back from a 5 day stay at Barcelo and it was great. This hotel has one of the best customer service me and my husband have experienced in any hotel. The people are great, the food is great, and the atmosphere is welcoming to singles, couples and families. We went with our 8 month old and had an awesome time. My son loved the kids club and enjoyed crawling and playing with the older kids. If you want to be treated like royalty and feel like you are home you need to come here. I'd like to thank the manager Magalis for the treatment we received from her and her staff. Also thank you Nancy from the Buffet for being so great to my son and the ladies from the kids club for being so friendly and welcoming everyday.The beach is one of the best in the area :) I look forward to returning next year!

Dear guest,

On behalf of all our team we would like to thank you for the time you spent to let us know your feedback about your stay at our hotel.

We really appreciate your kind words including the highlights of your trip as kids club, and the attitude and friendliness of our staff .

We feel proud to read that our staff was able to make you felt like home during your stay and that we surpassed our expectations. Comments like yours are the best source of motivation for us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,