“mass confusion”
Review of Occidental Caribe

Occidental Caribe
Ranked #60 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 27 September 2014

First of all, if you don't have basic Spanish under your belt your screwed immediately! At the bar , my niece and I were totally ignored and passed over for guest's that spoke fluent spanish. When checking in to the hotel they only had two front desk people and the two lines were damn near out the front door. The one guy could not multi-task to save his life. I had a question about my Internet and I waited 30 minutes to ask my question because he couldn't say, "excuse me sir, while we're waiting for your credit card to go through, let me help this guest." They also need to give you a map when they give you your card key. And bring a sandwich or a snack because it might take a couple of hours to find your room. Our room was 2306. Catty-corner to the front desk are the main elevators. There's also a "wing" to the left and to the right of the hotel. So we go to floor two, right? WRONG none of the numbers matched our room number even closely. We came back down to one of the wings and we're perplexed because there was no information on what was up there. Finally an hour after check in were hanging out on the steps trying to decide what to do (and YES we had already been back to the front desk once only to be ignored because of the huge lines checking in), we see a guy in his 20'S going up the stairs with a hamburger. He looks at us and says "are you guys trying to find your room?" He goes on to tell us that he got lost finding his room the first time too. Here's the key; room 2306= 2 is the second wing. 3 is the floor. 06 is your room number. How in the hell is anyone going to figure that out??
The food for us was terrible. A lot of things weren't interpreted, so we had no idea what it was. They did have a pasta station in the evening but the line was so long with only one chef. They did fix some beef cuts but had no concept of anything other than well done. So me, liking a medium rare steak was out the window. The desserts looked very pretty but (maybe because of the heat) were mostly made of gelatin. Needless to say, I lived on sourdough rolls, cantaloupe and the hamburgers they fixed at the pool area. There specialty restaurants were hit and miss. The Italian restaurant was great. While the Japanese steakhouse was nothing like we experience at home with food and entertainment. The good qualitys; the pools were nice and it had a Polynesian tiki feel to it and the beach was large. Granted, we were out at the pool from 8 to 5 almost everyday. But when it was time for dinner we just knew we were going to walk away unsatisfied.

Room Tip: The rooms seemed to be a bit more private if you went with the premium package. They were on either...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank jaxmom2014
Marcos C, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2014

Dear Guest.

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences regarding your recent stay at our resort. We very much appreciate your feedback, as it is through this medium that we are able to address guest issues and provide a high level of guest satisfaction.

In reference to your comment about the check-in and finding your room; we are very concerned about these comments, as we have enough employees at the front desk to check-in the guest and also, we have panel with the information on the walls of each floor to indicate the numbers of rooms, anyway we had a meeting with the reception manager in correcting these service flaws that you highlighted in your letter, to ensure that these issues not happen again.

Concerning to your comments about the food, we had a meeting with our executive chef where all points raised were discussed in detail with him. We will monitor our guests comments especially in this area.

We look forward to welcoming you on a future occasion, in this way show our commitment for service and customer satisfaction, and quality assurance stamp of our Barceló Hotels & Resorts family.

Sincerely.

There are newer reviews for Occidental Caribe

Reviewed 26 September 2014

I have had little experience traveling outside of the US and especially to countries such as the DR so I don't know if my American standards are realistic. The hotel was clean and nice but they provided very little information about how their system works. We had to find out on our own about making reservations to eat at the restaurants on site and about not flushing the toilet paper (after our room continually plugged up). The A/C unit in our room apparently broke which required we relocate (a big hassle if you are unpacked for a two week stay), and the new room we were put in had a broken shower faucet that fell in the tub when I turned it on. Our room was next to the performance stage and that made it impossible to sleep before 11pm due to the show and crowds. Something they might want to mention. The food was good at both the buffet and almost all the restaurants we got into, although I got raw chicken at the Brazilian one. The Italian one was wonderful. I fell in love with sweet wheat for breakfast and I hope to return to the DR soon. The beaches are lovely, the water is warm, the people are friendly. I think I'll try another place next time.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the check-in and stage if you like to sleep.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jodirsimon
Marcos C, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2014

Dear Guest,

We really appreciate your kind opinion about to our food and our friendly staff, for us is more than a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay. Be informed that your comment concerning to our information system help us to identify the area where we have to improve.

As soon as you decide to visit us once again, please contact to our hotel directly to puntacana.rrpp@barcelo.com if you have any special request that could help us to make your next stay memorable.

Regards,

Reviewed 25 September 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately, I had a less than pleasant/horrible experience on my recent vacation to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. My trip departed Newark Airport on 9/7/14 returning one week later on 9/14/14. Upon checking in to the Barcelo Punta Cana resort with the three other people I was traveling with we attempted to check in; the issues began immediately. We had reserved two rooms with two double beds in each room, to our dismay the only rooms available were one with two double beds and the other with a king bed; we conceded and took the rooms that were available. We were then told that our rooms would be available within the next hour and that would should get something to eat at the “snack shack” in the meantime as the buffet was closed. We proceeded to go to the “snack shack” the line was extremely long; upon getting to the beginning of the line, the cook was found to be making hamburgers and hotdogs without wearing gloves and was busy talking to another employee. The toppings were all wilted and condiments were not available. At this point, I decided that I needed a drink; I went to the outside bar and got a “Frozen” pina colada and discovered that the liquor on the resort was all clearly bottom shelf.
Hungry, I left to go check into the room and surprise, our bags were not there, we went back out to the front entrance where are bags were left for about an hour. I took my bags and went to my room. Upon checking the “fully” stocked minibar it was found that it only contained a bottle of water and two sodas. After which I was all set to hit the beach which was actually clean and available. The following day I decided that I was going to start over and have a better trip. I then discovered that the main pool was being drained, I was told there was a leak and it was going to be repaired…it should be noted that the pool was drained and jackhammering took place over the next 6 days. Being that the main pool with the swim up bar was closed, it only left the kiddy pool and smaller pool open; talk about crowded. During the trip I bounced between the small pool and the stretch of beach. As I was trying to relax on the beach and the pool I was subjected to constant badgering by staff to obtain spa services even after declining each day.
Let’s move onto the food. Buffet service was available during the day; this was another disappointment. The food was left open as it was a buffet, but it was clearly visible that “ants” were crawling on the chopped fruit and there wasn’t any thought to covering it up. When food ran out, it was never replenished even when asked. I then decided to stick to eating breads. We were told not to drink the water, but getting a bottle of water was like pulling teeth, not until losing it at the front desk did I get a bottle of water. Each night, we made reservations at the restaurants in hopes of getting a good meal. Trying to make reservations at the Mexican restaurant was proven to be a chore as no one could tell us when it would be open; we never went. We went to the French restaurant which was the worst dining experience I think I have ever had. All of the food was served cold: soup, entrée and dessert. The staff apologized and stated that they were sorry and would bring out another meal; none of us wanted to take our chances. The following day, a staff member asked for a review of the restaurant and when we told him the food was cold, he stated that is how the French eat their food… I have traveled to France and it is quite clear that crème brule is to be served hot as it is set on fire. We had a better experience at the hibachi restaurant, thank God!! As we were celebrating a birthday. Unfortunately at both restaurants shrimp was served, but it was not cleaned and fecal matter was visible. Thankfully we were able to dine at the Dominican restaurant and finally had a good meal. The food was excellent and so was the staff. Fortunately we were able to secure reservation at the restaurant for the remainder of the trip.
Each night we attended the shows after dinner which were nice; but aside from the tiny casino and discotheque this was all that was available. We went to the discotheque and it was located in the basement of the main building; the music was good, but it smelled like it was mopped with a wet, dirty mop. We went twice and unfortunately there was no change.
Although, I have many bad things to say about my trip I would like to note that the dining, bartending and housekeeping staff were all very nice and accommodating. That being said, I would never refer this resort to anyone, nothing about Barcelo Punta Cana should be considered a resort as half of it was closed, the food and restaurants were horrible and alcohol was bad. I want to be compensated for this trip and not with another voucher to Barcelo Punta Cana.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Glamchick22
Marcos C, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2014

Dear guest.

First of all we wish to express our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have encountered, as well as thank you for taking your valuable time to share your experiences with us. Our ultimate aim is to provide service excellence; our guests’ feedback shifts our focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist throughout our Resort and helps us improve the quality of our services and facilities.

Concerning to your comment about the 2 double beds in each room; please be informed that we do not had any request from you neither from your travel agency, so we assigned one room with 2 double beds and one with a king bed. Normally we receive our guest request in advance but in this occasion we did not receive any information concerning your room assignation.

Please be informed that we had an emergency with some broken pipes in one of our pools, due to this reason we had to close the pool for a few days, this was not in our plan, unfortunately things happen. We really much lament that we felt short of your expectation.

Concerning to your comments about the food, service at the restaurants and drinks, we had a meeting with our A&B manager and Executive chef where all points raised were discussed in detail with them. We will monitor our guests comments especially in this area.

We truly appreciate the letter and all the information shared. It is a pity though that we did not have the opportunity to meet with you while you were at the resort, so that we could have taken proper actions sooner and so avoid your disappointment. It would have been a pleasure to sit with you and discuss each of the valued comments that you have given.

Kind regards.

Reviewed 25 September 2014

Staff was wonderful. Juana by the Adult pool remembered our drink order and kept us with a fresh drink all day, everyday. Brazilian restaurant was our favorite. Hotel is extremely clean. It is gorgeous. Very large property so be prepared to walk if you are near ocean or to wait a few minutes for the golf carts to give you a lift. We came here after 24 hrs at another hotel, and Hard Rock staff did a great job of making our vacation amazing!

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Marcos C, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2014

Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share this positive feedback with us on Tripadvisor.

It's nice to hear that we have met your expectations and that in general our hotel, staff and service was of your liking and satisfaction. We will pass your impressions to Juana whom will be happy to know about your kinds comments.
We wish to welcome you back to our Barceló Punta Cana!!!

Reviewed 25 September 2014

After travelling throughout the country for four weeks I wanted to treat my boyfriend to a day and night at a resort as it was my last day and his birthday.
I had called the hotel beforehand to ask if they could arrange something for his birthday like a cake which I would have been happy to pay for. I was told that it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately at our arrival I was told that it wasn't possible the same day only the next day which was the day of my departure so we could not enjoy the dinner they offered and the cake came one day too late. It was a nice gesture but just not what I had expected as I had called beforehand to arrange it and simply one day too late.
The hotel reviews were very positive which Is why I chose it. After having stayed there I feel like they went to a different place. Our bed was like a nest. It had a huge dip in the middle and it was absolutely impossible to sleep in it unless you are a hen. Luckily they changed us to another room (at 11pm) we were so exhausted that we did not even want to mention the waterfall running from the ceiling of our bathroom and stayed in the "new" room.
To keep the rest short:
There is a huge construction site at this point. They are either renovating or building a pool. It is very noisy.
The cocktails are absolutely aweful and I have never had worse wine in my life. We mainly drank water or coke as the quality of the spirits is so poor that you cannot drink them neat either. Remember it was the birthday of my partner! Crazy! Go for beer. Probably the only drinkable booze in the hotel. Cuba libre was tolerable but due to the poor quality of the rum also not very good.
The hotel itself is nice and seems clean. The rooms, especially the bathrooms are a bit dated and seem overpriced. The beach and the pool area are nice and the Staff is friendly and helpful. Entertainment was dreadfully boring and long-winded, the discotheque smells like puke.
The food is okay. They have a good choice if you like meat and lots of different pastries. I have been to an all inclusive hotel before and the food quality and selection was much better but I guess it was good at Barcelo. You have to mind the schedule though because otherwise you can only get low quality burgers with half cold fries.
Wifi is NOT included and costs about $12 per day and per divice which is outrageous.
All in all for me it was a very disappointing experience and I would not recommend the hotel. Having read about others I suppose there are worse places to stay but the beach is the same everywhere in Punta Cana. However with the money spent on that hotel you can spend sleeping in a good place and have lovely fresh fish right at the beach at any place in the DR whist still saving money. I am glad we travelled so much. It is a beautiful country and has many wonderful places and a rich culture to offer.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RebeccaEr

Dear Guest.

On behalf of the whole Barceló Team, please accept our sincere apologies for any instance of inconvenience experienced during your stay with us. Please rest assured that your experiences are certainly not the norm of our service levels or standards, as we at Barceló pride ourselves on providing a quality vacation experience for all our valued guests..

In reference to your comment about the cake; the process to have cake done for a birthday, is that one of the party have to go directly to guest service office to order the cake lastly one day in advance.

Regarding the bed in the room, please be informed that we are always changing the beds for new ones, just to have comfortable beds and furniture in our rooms, that our costumers can relax and have a good sleep.

Concerning the discotheque; please be informed that we do our best possible to keep our public areas as clean as possible and free of odor.

Furthermore we very much regret to learn that our entertainment did not meet your expectations fully but are happy to inform you that we mostly receive positive comments on our entertainment program. We offer a diversified program during the day and we have different show at night.

concerning to your comments about drinks, we had a meeting with our A&B manager where all points raised were discussed in detail with him. We will monitor our guests comments especially in this area.

Sincerely.

1.5 km away
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
#63 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Occidental Caribe? Share your experiences!