“nice suites”
Review of Occidental Caribe

Occidental Caribe
Ranked #60 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 9 February 2009

This place was great. I think my review was totally erased when I tried putting in more than 3 pictures and after spending over an hour writing it, will not do that again.
However, the resort was beautiful, we had good service, upgraded to a suite for an extra $336 for 2 weeks with 2 adults, 2 kids. Worth it and the automatic Club Premium upgrade.
Too bad my review disappeared. Not impressed with this trip advisor now. For the moment at least. But try emailing in advance to book suite 3213 or 3236 and you won't be disappointed.
Waves pretty big. Water clear, sand soft and white.
Food comparable to all other resorts we've been to in 4 star catagory in Mexico and Dominican.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank holidazical
There are newer reviews for Occidental Caribe

Hola,

First move To have your dream vacation at this resort : Send a email to ; [--]( Sandy Pfeil) to udgrade your room. It will cost you a extra 30 $ by night...but that's worth and that's make the difference for your holidays.

I can not compare to another resort because it was our fist trip to punta cana and our first all inclusive holiday but after reading the very bad review, we were not sure about this place. But what a monderful place.... the resort...the food..the pool..and the beach. Best beach on the stri of Punta Cana...we wake for a hour on the beach and the beach of the Barcelo is the most beautiful...width beach ..white sand ..chairs for everyone...Dream Place .

Tips ; Don't buy anything at the hotel..take a walk (20 minutes) when you exit the resort at your left you will see a Plaza with a lots of small shops...best place to buy things (and bargain the price) You can't access this place by the beach ..but only by the street.

People complaint about the show at theater because it very amateur (beginner ) show..Bur it's a very nice theater and you can go there to have a drink and look around..relax...don't expect a show from Bon jovi or Celine Dion ??? common!!!

It is truth that most of the staff speak spanish...but bring a pocket-dictionary (5$) and learn a couple of word..I'm a french Canadian and my english it average but I don't mind trying to understand a third language even it is only a couple of word..just make a effort...

Overall...just relax...enjoy your vacation..the place is wonderfull and don't forget 7 days...it's a very fast holiday

From : Gatineau (Québec ) Canada

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank El_Quebec
Reviewed 9 February 2009

We had a great time and a wonderful experience at the Barcelo Punta Cana. We were there for two weeks - end of January - first of February 2009. We found the majority of the staff to be friendly and helpful - and full of smiles.
The Beach was fantastic... and the hotel positioned in one of the best locations on the beach. (we did not try the pools)
We stayed in Block 5 - so the room was not "fantastic" - and I would probably upgrade next time - but everything in the room worked - coffee maker, iron, hot water - the cleaning staff kept it spotless - and other than sleeping - we spent very little time actually in the room anyway. (even though the room has a hairdryer - I'd bring my own next time) the only complaint about the room was a bit of damp smell and the beds a bit old and lumpy - so they definitely need to be replaced.
The food was very good at all the a la carte restaurants... and so was the service. I wouldn't say the food was "gourmet" - or "excellent" - but it was very good. Buffet had a HUGE selection at each meal - and it would be pretty difficult to come away hungry. We had our breakfast - most mornings - at the outside omelette bar... wait wasn't long and the omelettes were great.
Bar service at the beach was VERY efficient and friendly. "Jose" was our "favorite" bar-keep - and the lady who looked after our room was lovely.... she didn't speak any english - but she was very friendly and helpful. We only attended a couple of the shows - but found them very entertaining. We especially liked the piano bar area - but it would be nice to get a couple of different players over the course of the holiday.

We would definitely go again... it was GREAT value for the money and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank pipOntario
Reviewed 9 February 2009

We stayed at the Barcelo February 1-8.

the resort itself is beautiful with lush vegetation and the most
beautiful turqoise ocean and beach anywhere.

As with the reviews I have read I think the main compaints are the older rooms. We had a deluxe ocean view room which was amazing. My only complaint there was that we were right above the buffett and were awoken early with the clanging of dishes
every morning and evening.

the resort can be a little confusing but once you get your bearings it is not bad. The food as with any AI I have been to is
not that great but I always managed to find something to eat.
When in doubt there is always that pasta bar!!.
Long waits for that as well as the two egg stations in morning
but with the hotel close to capacity that is understandable and you just go with the flow. we only ate at two alacartes which were good. Service very slow at Italian.

There were at least 4 wedding while we were there that were
performed on the beach. A beautiful way to start your new life together.

Overall I would say that this resort is very nice and once all the
rooms are renovated it will live up to its billing

I would not return as I like a smaller resort and I also like to
try different locations. (where ever I can find a deal!!)

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Buskin
Reviewed 8 February 2009

Second year in a row for us staying at the Barcelo Punta Cana and everything was just as good as the first year.
Everything from the bellboys, to the check-in, customer service, front desk and cleaning staff were perfect for us. And Sander was our main-man at the Alhambra bar once again.
Our room was perfect for us. This year we purchased the Ocean View and it was amazing. We had view of the Main Pool, the El Marlin restaurant, the Beach and the Ocean.
As for the food, I'm more of a picky eater but there was always something to eat at all of the A La Carte restaurants and at the Buffet.
The Pools were both amazing and of course the Beach is why we were there. It could be summed up with one word....Amazing!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1.5 km away
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
#62 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Occidental Caribe? Share your experiences!