“You get what you paid for”
Review of Occidental Caribe

Ranked #60 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 6 August 2017

This most definitely a 3 star resort. Upon our arrival we waited over 2 hours to get a room. We were put up in the 7th building which is the older part of the resort and the elevator was broken so it is quite a walk from the front desk to the 7th building when you have luggage. Once we arrived in our room the bed was hard as a rock and the toilet did not flush. I requested to be set up in a different room because my husband has a bad knee and he can't walk up the flight of stairs to the very last floor. So they gave us a room in the 2nd building which is the updated floor plan, bed was comfy and we had a view of the pool and the lounge. You will get a mix of nice and rude staff. We waited over 2 hours for clean towels that they forgot to put in our room. I called front desk and house keeping several times and their response was we are looking into it. I had enough that i finally went to the front desk and asked for the main supervisor and within 5 mins we got the towels. So my advise would be to always speak with a supervisor if not you will get the run around. The daily nighlty shows were spectacular especially the Michael Jackson performer and we loved the friendly service from our bartender Santiago made are drinks just right and fast. Javier the dj was great as well keeping us entertain with a song request. When it was time to eat Richard the waiter always took great care of us always saved us our table and replenished our drinks when needed. The ala carte restaurants were not the best I was looking forward to the dominican restaurant since i am dominican and i wanted some good dominican food oh boy was it the worst dominican food i ever tasted. The seafood was okay except the shrimps were very small that it made no sense on taking them out of the ocean, now the Japanese was the winner our chef really entertain us and the portions are huge but of course its still not like the hibachi back in the US. Now if you want to do some shopping please avoid the free ride thar the resort offers to take you to a so called mall. What they don't tell you is that everyone that arrived together at little plaza and i mean little because it's only 3 stores in a semi empty plaza you must all leave at the same time and the lady in charge of coordinating your return to the resort was the rudest person there she had us waiting 1 hour before we can return back to the resort until the dominican attitude came out of me she finally had us on our way back. I noticed that she treated foreigners with very little respect. So please avoid this at all cost. Now check out was another nightmare it took 1 hour to check out because the lines are very long and half the time thw front desk is dealing with complaints. Now foreigners have to understand that they are visiting a country that their main language is spanish so please don't expect everyone to to speak English as you are in their country. Would I return to this resort again probably not.

Room Tip: Building 2 or 3
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Marcos C, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the time you spent to share your personal impressions of your stay at our hotel, we always welcome feedback, as it allows us to continually improve the experience we create for our guests.

I want to apologize for not being able to make you feel supported when having an issue with the reception, we do our best to offer a caring and personalized service giving all the possible solutions to make sure you fully enjoy your stay among us.

We do apologize too for the technical problems you encountered in the first room there are absolutely no excuses for details to be overlooked as all rooms should be thoroughly checked on a daily basis.

We are thrilled you enjoyed the varied entertainment program organized by our professional team and enhanced by their genuine friendliness and enthusiasm to make sure all guests joining into the daily activities are having a memorable moment among us and we will certainly not fail to share your congratulations with the entire team.

Thank you once again for making us your choice hotel and for your constructive critics, we certainly look forward to serving you again and to have the opportunity to exceed you expectations in a not too distant future.

Always at your disposal

There are newer reviews for Occidental Caribe

Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

We read MANY horrible reviews about this hotel. I really wanted an ocean view, all inclusive that offered MANY free activities and availability of alternative off site activities. OCCIDENTAL CARIBE had the entire package, so I wrote the property management BARCELO and expressed my concerns. They assured me that most if not all had been addressed. The hotel cosmetically inside is a little aged however the staff, the beach area, the food and both on-site and off-site activities way made up for the Cosmetic updates needed. If you're looking for high-end luxury Furnishings this place is probably not for you however if you're looking for clean well-maintained awesome staff good food great activities in the most beautiful beach you've ever put your feet on this is the place for you.!! My husband my friend and I had a great time BOOGIE ADVENTURE company was an AWESOME adventure we went to the Pirate Cave rum Factory beautiful! all of the tour guides were amazing. We took the SANTO DOMINGO TOUR and walked where Christopher Columbus walk and it was exciting. That was the only day it rained and it didn't just rain it felt like we were walking in a moment monsoon .We also did the 12 LINE ZIP LINE and it was a blast. We worked with MIGUEL and FELIX. FELIX was a bellman who arranged all our transportation and made sure everything was great daily. If one person made the trip a 10 it would be FELIX!

The ONLY CON was the lack of ENGLISH SPEAKING staff. It was definitely a hardship for us and for the staff. In my opinion, it would behoove the company to hire and or train a translator or English-speaking staff. It was definitely an issue however we didn't let it become a problem and the staff was willing to work with us.. We had heard the staff was negative we now believe it's because people were frustrated that they could not be understood and they became negative in the staff reacted. We took it in strive, even my husband who usually is not very patient did awesome.

In closing yes we would stay at the OCCIDENTAL CARINE AGAIN, WE HAD THE BEST ROOM AND VIEW, room 3426

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great feedback of your recent holiday experience at our hotel, guest satisfaction is our number one goal and there is nothing better than achieving that, we are happy our hotel and staff were able to meet all your needs during your stay.

We also are very grateful for your highlight on the quality of the entertainment program during your stay and for mentioning the genuine friendliness of our team, they do work very hard every day to make sure our guests feel well attended to at all times and definitely are an asset to our hotel.

Again we thank you for this very kind review of our hotel and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed for 6 days/5 nights... nice location, nice beach, very nice staff, good drinks, lots of food choices, pretty clean resort, free transportation (if your going to the local shopping area), reasonable transportation prices if you want to go somewhere else, we paid 27 dollars for 3 days of wifi access (not the best wifi, it kept kickin me out every few mins so i had to re-log in constantly)... I had signed up to join Barcelo online and i gave the front desk my Barcelo number, but they didnt link it to my stay so i didnt get credit for my stay nor 5 percent off... The cleaning ladies were awesome, very nice, and always refilled the mini bar... I didnt like that the pool and beach closed at 7 every day... There were local merchants coming up to us selling overpriced (i think a lot were fake items) one of the days while we there... the morning after we arrived, we went to discuss the transportation to go back to the airport and somehow unknowingly got signed up for like a time share presentation for a sister hotel, so we basically wasted a day touring another hotel where they wanted like 20,000 dollars at the end, oh but we got a free beach bag for our time... Overall it was a nice, family friendly resort, with awesome staff. It was my first time at an all inclusive, and i would like to visit more in the future.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for the comments you made about your recent visit, they help us to understand how our guests experience their stay with us, it is always our goal to achieve maximum customer satisfaction and we are delighted to hear that your holiday at Occidental Caribe was an enjoyable one.

Thank you for your very nice compliments for our team, they do work very hard every day to make sure our guests feel well attended to at all times and definitely are an asset to our hotel, we will certainly relay your praising comments to all of them and we are sure they will be pleased to know their efforts have been appreciated.

Once more we thank you for sharing your experience with us and look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2017

Stayed here for 7 nights with my girlfriend. It is very nice location and service is very good. The people are very kind, specially the barman at the swimming pool bar (Doroteo, Bairos and Moronto). I was only disappointed with the Tokyo restaurant. It was not at all a real japanese restaurant.

Room Tip: Close to the beach
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

We always find it nice to read that our guests went home with great holiday memories and we are very grateful for the time and effort you spent to share your personal experience at our hotel with us and Tripadvisor readers.

We hope to see you again

Reviewed 5 August 2017

I want to start by saying that everyone in my family, starting from my 2 year old, my 12, my 20 year old son and my wife and I had a great time out there. There were different activities for every one on each of the days we stayed. The variety of national and international dishes were great. Thanks so much for the buffet that was dedicated to the Peruvian community on one of your restaurants. I would like to say a special THANK YOU FOR YOUR EXCELLENT SERVICE TO MR ANGEL PEREZ AT THE "CENA DE GALA" ON THE BEACH. YOUR ATTENTION AND YOUR ATTITUDE WAS VERY WELCOMING. MIL GRACIAS POR SU EXCELENTE ATENCION Y SERVICIO DON ANGEL PEREZ.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank CA V

Dear Guest,

We continuously strive to deliver high standards and to ensure that all our guests leave with beautiful vacation memories.

Once more we thank you for choosing our hotel for your holiday and very much look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
1.5 km away
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
#63 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Occidental Caribe? Share your experiences!