US$331
US$230
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$391
US$229
US$395
US$288
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$412
US$310
  • Breakfast included
Del Mar by Joy Resorts(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$125
The MT Hotel(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$59
US$54
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$67/night.

Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$1,157
US$295
  • Breakfast included
Club Med Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$560
clubmed.us
4,701 results
All reviewsbutler bayronamaya restaurantroom servicedominican breakfasthorseback ridingour honeymoonpersonal butlerlaundry servicelobby barplunge poolrelaxing vacationbug spraythatched roofwelcome homesmall resortocean frontspa treatments
Reviewed 7 May 2010

Who I am: Longtime tripadvisor reader and first-time poster. I’m a mid 30’s male and a typical New Yorker who thinks he knows everything. But the truth is that I feel like I have stayed in some nice places, both for pleasure and through business travel and I believe I have a discerning eye for quality and value.

Prior to booking my trip at the Zoetry for me and my girlfriend, I did a lot of research on TA and some other sites. Most reviews were positive, but there were a few strong negative reviews that gave me pause. I decided to book the trip anyway and give a boutique hotel a shot.

Let’s start off the review with a rundown of who I don't think would love this hotel: families with young kids (there’s not a lot of activities for kids, nor are there big general areas where they can run around and socialize, etc.), groups of couples looking for huge meals, dancing, etc. (maybe it would still be great for them, but I think it’s more of a quiet romantic place), those looking for an active city center with big, grand restaurants, trinket shopping, people-watching, etc. (the point of the zoetry is to be away from it all). If someone goes to the Zoetry with the idea that it’s going to be an Aruba-like "scene", it may not be for them. A lot of the negative reviews I read were by people who seemed to be expecting those things. If you are looking for the other items mentioned above, there are plenty of other great Caribbean options to choose from - this is a small, boutique hotel in a secluded, picturesque part of Punta Cana.

If you don’t want to read a long review of 3-day/3-night experience at the Zoetry, I’ll sum it up in one word: FANTASTIC! If you want the full rundown, keep reading:

Prelude: A few weeks prior to my trip, I called the hotel to speak with someone who could tell me a bit more about the hotel, recommend some room options, and arrange for other one-off items. I called on a random Saturday afternoon and ended up speaking with the general manager (Natalia) for 30 minutes. That’s right, the general manager spent 30 minutes on the phone with me despite me being a random, future customer only staying for three nights. She walked me through everything, made recommendations, followed up with several emails and confirmations, etc. I was impressed with the hotel and the trip hadn’t even begun yet. This is emblematic of the personalized service level of the hotel.

Arrival: Walked out of customs (30 minutes early) and the Zoetry driver was waiting right there with a sign. Following a 45-minute ride in a luxury SUV with a great selection of music and a cold bottle of complimentary champagne, we were at the hotel.
Check-in: We were greeted by several employees who spoke good English and sat us down at the counter. Everyone says ‘welcome home’ – and they mean it. Drinks were served to us, the hotel features explained and 20 minutes later, we were walked to our room by a friendly staffer who explained where everything at the hotel was located (granted, it’s a small place, but still a nice touch).

Rooms: I upgraded to an ocean-front room on the second floor of one of the bungalows. It was, in fact, directly on the beach as advertised. Rooms were exactly like the picture: clean, spacious, nice separate bathroom/changing area, etc. The rooms have plenty of privacy and it really feels like you are in your own little house and not just another box like you might in a large hotel building. I’m sure all the rooms are the hotel are great, but I personally thought the ocean-front was worth the upgrade – I was literally right on the beach, with an unobstructed view of pristine beaches and water. Rooms come with a flatscreen (plenty of American channels), DVD player, and separate ipod dock with speakers.

Beach: Amazing. Soft sand and there are no other hotels within a 20 minute walk on the beach in either direction. This place is a nice, secluded hideaway. No other loud tourists. There are plenty of chairs on the beach spread out under small huts. I didn’t have to ever worry about getting a choice pair of chairs on the beach, nor did I sit within 20 feet of any other couple. Again, it’s just a completely relaxing place to enjoy with a partner. The water is relaxing, warm, no waves, completely picturesque.

Pool: small infinity pool, looks onto the water. Very refreshing after sitting on the beach. The lounges by the pool are really comfy mattresses to lay or nap on. However, there are other separate pool areas that snake up the entire hotel property (better explained via pictures). My point is that there are several other pool areas that are even quieter just in case you want to be away from the main pool area.

Activities & Nightlife: The hotel offers a few low-key activities – cooking classes, Spanish lessons, cigar classes, etc. There are no water sports, zip-lining, etc. These can be arranged through a tour operator at the hotel, but you need to travel off the grounds to do those activities. As far as nightlife, there isn’t much to do. We usually ate dinner, went to one of the bars for a few more drinks and talked to the other guests. There is not a casino, disco, or anything like that. Again, this isn’t the focus of the hotel, so as long as you know that going in, you won’t be disappointed. This is meant as a relaxation type of place.

Food: Hotel has three restaurants. Food is very good, very fresh, but the menus are not huge. The portions are not monstrous, American-style gluttonous affairs, although since it’s all-inclusive, you can obviously keep ordering until you are content (fyi – I fall into the ‘gluttonous, American-style, huge portion’ camp). This is not a hotel for foodies looking for inventive dishes or the best fish and steaks in the Caribbean – although this may be a product of me being a spoiled New Yorker. Again, it’s all good, fresh and there are enough options to choose from. Every Saturday there is a dinner party/cookout on the beach. My words can’t do this justice, but it’s just an amazing meal on the beach with the other hotel guests that really accentuates all the positive features of the hotel (great food and drinks, staff everywhere, beautiful beach, music playing, under the stars). I’d recommend including a Saturday night stay if you go the Zoetry.

Drinks: All-inclusive, and all top shelf liquor. Drinks are made as strong as you’d like, there is no skimping on alcohol or anything else that you may find at other big-box all-inclusive hotels. The focus of the hotel is giving you whatever you want to make your trip fantastic and memorable, not about saving a few cents by serving watered-down drinks or some cheap brand alcohol. There are bars in the lobby and on the beach, and of course they will deliver drinks on the beach, to your room or pretty much wherever/whenever you want it.

Picturesque-ness: The hotel completely lived up to the website pictures. It’s exactly what I wanted out of a small, Caribbean boutique hotel. Really, just a beautiful place to walk around and admire. The individual bungalow-type buildings that comprise the rooms are simply much prettier than some massive hotel building near a beach. The wooden bridges that connect all the second floors add to the rustic feel. I was surprised at how beautiful the grounds were.

Staff: I can’t say enough good things about the staff – this is really what makes the hotel great. First, there are a lot of staff members - finding someone to assist you is never an issue. While I was there, they were all extremely friendly and go out of their way to remember your name, your favorite drink, your special requests, etc. Really, they are all just the friendliest, most attentive hotel staff I’ve come across - everyone seemed to genuinely care if you were having a good experience. I had seen some negatives on TA about the English profiency of the staff. My experience was that either they spoke good enough English, or if not, they would find someone who did to come over to your table. The language barrier was never a factor. The quality of the personnel and the level of service would bring me back to the Zoetry.

Bottom Line – If you are looking for the type of vacation described above, I highly recommend the Zoetry.

9  Thank thebunk1
Reviewed 6 May 2010

We came to relax and enjoyed all the resources of the hotel. We fortunately engaged in the Wills Program which put us right into relaxation mode and set me on track for sleeping through the night, something I have not done for over two years. We enjoyed from breakfast to dinner the most delicious food; delivered by the most attentive wait staff! The wait staff and bartenders made us feel like no one else existed. The food was fantastic! We ate fresh seafood nightly after eating the best ceasar salad for lunch. It's not a question will we go back ,it is when can we get back? All of our needs were met and we had the most pleasant stay ever. We highly recommend this resort of endless privileges to all our friends and family! Lori & Kevin

3  Thank KGCContracting
ZoetryAguaGM, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2010

Dear Lori and Kevin,

just wanted to thank you for taking the time to post your comments and great review, and if you are again in need to sleep just find your way back to stay with us, consider us your home in Punta Cana (we are your dominican family, just like you said).

best regards from all of us,

Natalia

Reviewed 6 May 2010

My husband and I stayed at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana to celebrate our 5th anniversary. I work for an airline so I travel a lot for work and pleasure and this is by the far the most amazing hotel I've ever stayed at. Our room had a private plunge pool and we were literarlly steps away from the beach. The employees were awesome from the minute we set foot in the lobby until the moment we left. I think what I loved most about the staff was that you saw the same faces every day, they took the time to get to know you, they remember what you liked to drink, and in fact our room was near the bar/restaurant and when they say us sitting on our porch they would bring drinks over to us! What is great about this hotel is that it is very private and very intimate. This is the first trip where we've actually made friends with many of the other guests since the hotel is small you get to know everyone. The food was excellent and Saturday night dinner on the beach was spectacular, it was beautiful, the food was great. If you're looking for a quiet, romantic, escape, I would highly recommend Zoetry Agua Punta Cana! We can't wait to go back.

2  Thank kikideeaz
Reviewed 2 May 2010

We have just got back from our fantastic 2nd holiday at Zoetry Agua and really didn’t want to come home. We first went to Zoetry in November and were the 2nd guests through the door. At this time we thought it was the most relaxing resort we had ever been to with the friendliest and most attentive staff. What amazed us most last time and made us want to return was that we were totally relaxed on our first day, just lounging around the pool completely settled, rather than it taking us a good few days to unwind.

Last time there were few guests in the hotel so we were intrigued to see how our experience this time would compare, but were quietly confident that the resort would not disappoint. Once again our easy passage through the pleasant airport (make sure you have US$ 10 per person for entry to Dom Rep) was topped by a private transfer to the resort in a luxury car with champagne on tap and friendly drivers. The transfer takes less than 1 hour and the roads are absolutely fine now. Don’t listen to reviews from early 2009 about bumpy transfers, you won’t spill a drop of your champagne on the way to the resort!

Reception is still as impressive as it ever was, with a secluded drive leading to a fantastic natural structure made of huge logs supporting a high banana leaf roofing lashed together with natural rope. The area is excellently lit of an evening , supplemented by atmospheric candle lanterns. A welcome cocktail later and we were being shown to our room right on the oceanfront. When we stayed in November we were on the ground floor so it was a different perspective to be on the upper level this time. The view of the beach and ocean was amazing and the upper rooms have a high vaulted natural ceiling giving a real feeling of space and natural charm. This extra height meant our room could accommodate the fantastic dark wood four-poster bed looking out directly to the ocean. The bathroom also has a sunken tub and large shower and you can have the blind open to look out at the ocean as you bathe.

Once again we were totally relaxed on our first day. We had breakfast in our room pretty much every day last visit, but this time we opted to go down for breakfast to the Amaya restaurant which is located fairly central in the resort. You have the option of sitting inside, in air conditioned opulence, or outside by the large pond. Since last time, the Amaya restaurant has been fitted inside with huge iron chandeliers and massive floor to ceiling drapes around the windows for a very soothing environment. If you choose to sit outside, the pond has now been stocked with a variety of fish, ducks and turtles. The fish do what fish do, the ducks have adorable chicks walking around and the turtles can often be seen posing out of the water on replica stone turtles (makes for a funny picture!).

Food at breakfast never disappointed and the variety is great. Warm Dominican brioche with scrambled egg and asparagus was a favourite. Also, don’t be afraid to ask for something that isn’t on the menu. This is all about Endless Privileges so just ask for any omelette you like however you like it. Juan & Manuel will really look after you and Juan is always willing to help out with little Spanish lessons and phrases.

I have seen a lot on trip advisor about staff not speaking enough English. We rarely found this to be the case and at the end of the day you have chosen to come to a Spanish speaking country. In fact, one of the staff who spoke the least English was a girl called Gladdi who dealt with our every whim by the pool and on the beach. She was a lovely girl with a flower in her hair and the warmest of natures. We never had any difficulty getting across what we wanted and she would always be friendly and make small talk to ask how we were. In fact, this relates to one of the things that was most improved on this visit. Staff would always come around to the poolside and beach to offer drinks and cocktails and food, even coming around with un-solicited fruit to keep you refreshed in the sun.

The pool here deserves special mention. It was great enough last time but now the infinity effect is in full swing with the water cascading towards the beach and down a stone wall into a lower pool out of eyesight. I really cannot put into words how beautiful and relaxing it is to stand around here looking out to the ocean. The resort is surrounded by a reef so you can actually see the waves breaking a way out to sea. Of course, in line with the Endless Privileges staff will even serve you cocktails while you are lounging in the pool. Sip your favourite Pina Colada or Gin & Tonic while gazing out to sea and hearing the sound of the ocean; our own idea of heaven.

All drinks are premium brands with 4-5 different Vodkas including Absolut and Grey Goose, several different rums which extend to premium local Brugal as well as the usual Bacardi. Even beers include Corona as well as the local Presidente which is very palatable. The Cocktails are excellent and you have to check out Kenny, Rosauda and Martina in the Indigo beach restaurant for superb drinks; including our favourite Super Coco Loco! You’ll always be greeted with the warmest of smiles and greetings and everyone will know your name.

You will be looked after at lunch by Enrique and Eudy among others who will serve you with the freshest seafood and salads while you gaze out straight to the beach and ocean with cooling breezes. The shrimp cocktail is a must as is the local Dominican Picapollo chicken. For the more hearty appetites, the Agua Burger is made fresh and has an amazing flavour. You can have a choice of wines with your meal and your water and wine glasses will never be empty.

The gardens are simply beautiful and have really matured since we last came. As you’ll read in other reviews, the gardens have more of an authentic, rustic charm rather than the highly manicured and artificial look of a conventional resort. There were far more flowers out this time and the result was simply stunning and it was a pleasure to wonder slowly from the beachfront up to reception and the top bar. You have the option of following the meandering walk through the gardens and over the bridge across the pond or, if you are on the upper level as we were this time, following the Tarzan style walkways that serve the upper rooms. Once again, Zoetry stands out here as truly different from your conventional stuffy 5* resort. The walkways are made out of logs for a truly different feel and are covered by trellises that house may varieties of climbing plants and flowers. These provide both shade from the sun and, on many occasions, the chance to stop to sample the exquisite smell of the many flower varieties.

One of little omissions we did notice from the last time we were here was the omission of Pringles and nuts from the mini-bar. Don’t fret however, as our evenings were often begun with a call to room service. There is an extensive selection but we always went for the coconut shrimps which were simply a fantastic way to get the appetite peaked for dinner. On the subject of the mini-bar, don’t be disappointed by the content when you first arrive, the stocking is really adaptive. If you drink only water, you’ll find loads of bottles restocked. If you drink the beers, even more will appear for next time. The mini-bar is restocked every day without fail.

Another subject is the cleanliness of the rooms. Housekeeping really do come around 3 times a day and we had our own little ongoing joke that it was impossible to deplete the supply of towels in the room. As fast as you can use them, no matter how rigorous your personal cleaning schedule, you will always have 4 fresh towels again before you know it. We did find 1 critter in our room on occasion, but these are rooms made from entirely natural materials and not the 4 walled glass and plaster box you’ll find elsewhere. I would happily put up with a bug for the benefit of staying in such beautiful natural surroundings. This said, the WC and bathrooms are cleaned multiple times daily and are absolutely immaculate at all times. Even the inside and outside of our windows were always cleaned while we were there and the attention to every little mark is simply amazing. The housekeeping staff also provide a turn-down service while you are at dinner and we often returned to our room to find different flower arrangements on the bed and once even a rose petal bath. The plugs do have a tendency to leak though but it was the thought that counts!

The housekeeping staff are truly friendly and will always say hello to you as you meet them in the resort. This same attitude extends to the maintenance staff, groundskeepers and even the pool guy who remembered us from last time and always talked to us. Given that this is an all inclusive resort, the attentiveness of the staff is nothing short of amazing. Nothing is too much trouble and any effort you make to pick up the odd Spanish phrase will be richly rewarded. It is worth mentioning that while tips are included, we did leave tips for those with the best service when we left and would strongly encourage others to do the same. The staff made our stay an absolute pleasure at all times so these were richly deserved in our minds.

After our daily dose of shrimp and of course the free bottle of champagne delivered on ice to our room, we would often take a stroll up to the relaxing bar in the reception building. This is an excellent place to sit and meet other guests before choosing a restaurant to dine that evening. Gregorio and Jose will make you a variety of delicious drinks and cocktails and you can either sit at the bar to chat or lounge on any number of huge comfy lounging sofas nearby.

A major improvement since we last came is the variety of food on offer. There are now 3 restaurants of which 2 are open on any 1 evening. If the resort is full I guess this may be extended to all 3. The other 2 have already been covered but the 3rd Maroon restaurant near reception is contained within a white roundhouse with white sofas and wooden booths with leather bench seats. The result is very luxurious and in fact the service here is more formal than the other 2 restaurants. This combination of different ambience and service actually makes you feel like you have travelled to an exclusive restaurant. The shrimp starter is simply to die for and the stack of beef and sweet potato was another favourite along with the salmon and red snapper. The only minor criticism was that on the couple of very warm nights we had, with no breeze, the restaurant did get a little too warm despite the open air structure. The ceiling fans do their best but I would recommend sitting around the edge of the room or else retiring to the air conditioned Amaya or cool Indigo restaurant on the beach if it gets really hot while you are here.

Another major improvement from November was the number of activities on offer. Christina runs the activities and she can arrange anything for you even outside of the advertised schedule. Want to go for a bike ride, no problem. Want to go horse riding on a different day, no problem. Want to go sailing this afternoon, no problem. All included! We enjoyed the dancing and Spanish lessons but our favourite activity was actually the cigar rolling class. A local small producer attended and educated us on every aspect of their 100% hand-made process. He gave everyone a free cigar of their choice to smoke and answered all our questions before giving us the chance to roll our own to take home. Cigars were available to buy however, he was funny and informative and at no time was he pushy or even really trying to sell. The only criticism was that he couldn’t take credit cards as everyone wanted to buy more. This also exposes one other minor gripe in that the resort has no way of you withdrawing cash at present.

The general manager Natalia has been mentioned in other reviews and is an absolute gem. You will often find her walking around the resort and talking to guests to see how they are enjoying their stay. If Natalia is not around and you wish to take up anything during your stay, I would really recommend speaking to Ambrioli. He is the food and beverage manager by title but there really isn’t anything that is to much trouble for him to sort out for you. He even took us sailing on the hobycat for some breathtaking views of the resort and coastline.

Two things I simply must mention are the Private Dining experience we had and the weekly beach party on a Saturday night:

We had a private dining experience on our 2nd to last night and we actually had it on the bridge that goes over the pool and connects the upstairs rooms. It was a perfect moonlit night, we were sheltered from the breeze and we had a view out over the beach, ocean, pool and the whole resort. They laid on a special menu for us of local dishes that weren’t on the menu including lobster tails in an amazing sweet Creole sauce. It was exceptionally private and romantic and the service was still excellent, especially as they had to walk a way to get to us.

The beach barbeque is held every Saturday night subject to the weather. On our first Saturday in resort it was too windy and so the event was brought into the Indigo restaurant. On the 2nd Saturday we were treated to the full experience that surpassed all of our expectations. The staff begun forming arches by weaving palm leaves from the early afternoon and very soon they were formed into a tunnel that led to the beach. In the evening the beach is subtly lit and there are many tables of different food, all under arches of natural leaves that have lights woven through them. They also have some amazing carvings from large pumpkins including a fantastic flying toucan bird design. You might be reading this thinking that the result could be tacky, but in fact it is very tasteful and it’s simply breathtaking that this was not all there a few hours ago. Even the chefs are in a party mood and will try everything to tempt you with the delicacies from their barbeque and other dishes, even singing and dancing with the band that is always in attendance to provide a live backing to every meal. There are various fresh hot sauces on offer to go with the shrimp, lobster, steak and chicken. The fresh BBQ sauce was our favourite. There was also delicious fish on offer in a tasty sweet sauce and some of the freshest salad you’ll eat. I understand much of it is grown on the premises.

A few more points:

- The food here is simply divine. Even with the occasional language barrier the only misunderstanding that occurred was upon ordering a fruit cocktail (thinking we were ordering a fruit salad) we received a fruity cocktail drink. The cocktail was delicious and we just laughed! Had we taken the time to point in the menu this wouldn’t have happened but we would have missed out on a great drink!

- For those readers who absolutely want to stick to English, we were told the resort will shortly be running language classes for all staff, from the waiters and bar staff all the way to the groundskeepers and housekeeping. At no time did we find this an issue though and we enjoyed picking up Spanish while we were here.

- The steak here is to die for. Whether fresh off the BBQ or in the surf and turf, it is tender, juicy and perfectly seasoned.

- The spa is now fully operational and the massages are excellent. Margarita gave one of the best deep tissue massages we have had anywhere in the world and the hot spa pool provides an excellent retreat on the occasional rainy day in the Caribbean. Raphaella, the spa manager, was also extremely helpful. She even took the time to remove my wife’s nail polish that had been attacked by some insect repellent we brought with us.

- The beach is wonderful, with fine sand which is raked and cleaned every day by an attendant. We had a couple of windy days where seaweed was washed up but this was cleared away quickly at all times.

In short Zoetry provides the perfect getaway if you want to relax. You can be completely private or share some time with likeminded individuals in beautiful natural surroundings. Far from falling short of our expectations of a 5 star resort, it provides 5 star service, accommodations and facilities with the kind of laid back atmosphere you can only get in a boutique resort, with just 50 rooms. Even though the resort was much busier this time, staff still outnumbered guests many times. Where would you find that in the usual 5 star resort with 100’s or 1000’s of rooms? The staff will all call you by name and you will leave feeling like you have had a fantastic time with friends rather than the usual rather soulless and emotionless 5 star treatment.

We have stayed at many fantastic resorts in many fantastic locations including the Seychelles, Thailand, Bali and Mexico, but have never returned to the same one twice. Zoetry Agua Punta Cana is a resort that we would keep returning to simply because we have never found a place that we find so friendly and relaxing. It is highly unusual for us to not leave a resort and go sightseeing, but even on a 10 day visit you will simply not want to leave at all other than to walk down the beach hand in hand. Don’t forget to order a cocktail first though and say “hi” from us!

2  Thank MisterBSussex
Reviewed 27 April 2010

Have been all around the carribean and stayed in all levels - but t i can not say enough about this resort- it was just a delight - relaxing - pleasant - calm - quiet- friendly - relaxing - calm - i think you are getting the picture - the restaurants all served a great menu of dishes - no lining for buffets here - just menu - at the restaurant or in you room- the beach was excellent and it was deserted so - with a little reef to protect you - plus you have pools to float around - but with the sea - it was hard to go anywhere else - but what makes all this happen though is the staff- they were brilliant - so helpful - friendly calm - attentive and a delight to talk to and dont forget the amazing selection of mixed cocktails! cant wait to go again - it is now on our list of repeats - and trust me that is a small list! not many places fulfill the bill

2  Thank beignet9