I travel to the Caribbean 2-3 times every year and Samana is now one of my favorite spots. It is different, not many tourists, locals are friendly and secluded and wild beaches around Las Terrenas and Las Galeras are just unreal.
We purchased Air Canada Vacations Roulette deal and didn't know where we'll end up. All Roulette people were sent to Cayacoa this time.
• Service in the restaurants is the best I’ve experienced in the Caribbean (professional, kind, clean, pleasant). They smile all the time. It brightens your day indeed.
• Very clean place.
• Located within a small bay, the hotel is L shaped with breathtaking views from all the rooms above the 3rd floor.
• The location is just perfect for venturing off. 20 min walk from the local bus stop, 15 min walk to Samana town, 15 min boat ride from Cayo Leventado, an hour gua-gua ride to Las Terrenas or Las Galeras.
• Fairly decent food at the buffet and great food at Orquidea a la carte restaurant. Buffet always had excellent grilled fish (grouper and dolphin fish) which is what we enjoyed the most.
• Check in was easy and fast.
• Reasonably priced upgrades: larger ocean view rooms ($16/night) and villa suites ($30/night). Villas are situated on the other side of the hotel property; they have their own swimming pool and restaurant opened for lunch. If you like peace and quiet, you can stay in one of the villas and have your own private pool. There were usually less than 10 people around that area.
• Quiet and good working A/C.
• Lobby and common areas look great and pleasant.
• Free shuttle bus to Samana.
• Free Wi-Fi in the lobby.
• All rooms have some sort of water view so no need to upgrade unless you want to have bigger room. They are either facing Samana Bay, Cayo Leventado or small Cayacoa beach.
• If you like to snorkel, you need to go far (tip between two beaches has huge corals and colorful fish). We went snorkeling right off the main beach towards “the bridge to nowhere” and saw beautiful corals, star fish and a school of papagayo fish. The water was calm and clean. Good snorkeling spot is also between two Cayacoa beaches. Although the colour is not crystal blue, the beach is ok when the water is clean. The other day the garbage was floating. I’m not sure how this works; perhaps it depends on the waves and the weather.
• Main pool is clean and well maintained with very comfortable beach loungers. Very seldom for me to say, but I enjoyed lying down by the pool. It is on the cliff and has an amazing view. Very busy area of the hotel, there is something happening all the time: volleyball game, aerobics, salsa classes etc.
• We received a phone call from guest services asking if we needed anything and if all is well. Very nice gesture.
• Many European visitors: Germans, French, English, Italians, Russians.
• Great place to relax and unwind. Not recommended for young people looking to have fun and party.
• No other hotels around, it feels like real Dominican Republic. You can walk to Samana town (15 min) or take shuttle (2 min). Not much to see but it is authentic.
• The Beach: disappointment #1 for us. There are two beaches at Cayacoa, dark green, murky and not clean. If you decide to go snorkeling you will notice all kinds of garbage at the bottom of the ocean including used condoms, plastic containers, pieces of glass, containers etc. Since this is the only beach in Samana town, some cruise ship people found their way here so it can get busy. You also have many locals trying to sell cigars, jewellery etc.
• Beds and pillows hard and not comfortable.
• Very few employees at Cayacoa speak English. This didn’t bother me at all because I speak basic Spanish but people were getting frustrated trying to get basic questions answered.
• Reception disorganized. When we tried to upgrade the room, we received different information from 3 different people including how much it costs, what’s available etc. Finally 3 days later we managed to get what we asked for. Unfortunately we were overcharged and after speaking with the customer service manager, they agreed to refund the overcharge. The customer service manager was really nice and apologized for the mistake. She is originally from Venezuela, great lady with great people skills. In return, we received free late checkout.
• Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays cruise ships are in town and it gets very busy.
1. When you get down to the main beach, go all the way to your left and you’ll notice some local guys sitting around. One of them speaks English very well and offers great prices for Cayo Leventado (beautiful white sandy beach) and other excursions such as El Limon waterfalls, National Park, Playa Rincon beach etc. I have his contact info should you decide to venture off.
2. If you are really adventurous, take gua-gua (local “bus”) to Las Galeras or Las Terrenas, $3 pp one way. Travel with locals on a pick up truck and practice some Spanish.Visit Playa Rincon (Las Galeras), Playa Coson and Playa Bonita (Las Terrenas). All 3 are beautiful secluded beaches. If you need more details how to get there, please feel free to ask.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: Main pool with Jacuzzi surrounded by a sun terrace 3 beachside hydromassage tubs Loungers, sun umbrellas and towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Water activity centre WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) Wedding gazebo Buffet-style main restaurant and 3 speciality restaurants 4 bars, cocktail lounge, chill out zone, 1 snack bar Sports facilities: gym Pueblo Principe: Shopping and leisure mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars and disco. Rooms: 295 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Standard with Sea View, Superior Junior Suite and Club Golden Junior Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, hair dryer and magnifying mirror. Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Terrace WiFi (additional charge) Junior Suite: sitting area, sofa-bed and ironing set Club Golden Junior Suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Park Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Auditorium for corporate meetings Panoramic lifts Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa Samana