“Great Views, Friendly People”
Review of Maca Bana

Maca Bana
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in St. George's
London
“Great Views, Friendly People”
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We stayed at Maca Bana in March 2011. We were booked into the Rock Fig bana which had glorious views overlooking the beach and bay. The Bana was very comfortable and the kitchen was extremely well equipped for self catering should you wish to do so. We had our own private hot tub on our patio which overlooked the beach and bay, very relaxing.

The staff in the bar and restaurant were without question some of the friendliest people we have ever met in the Caribbean. Lovely place to stay, the only slight issue, would be if you were slightly more on the elderly side or have knee/hip issues, this lovely place might not be suitable, as to get to your Bana you had to negotiate a steep slope and a number of steps and likewise to go down to restaurant and bar and the beach. Having said that, this should in no way be taken as a negative as this is a lovely setting and very friendly people and the General Manager, Michaela was extremely helpful.

The Sunday B-B-Q is great fun, but you need to book in advance as it is very popular. We had a lovely time with the live band and everyone joined in the dancing having fun.

Would definitely return here for a vacation.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Travel_Hopper2007
MacaBana, General Manager at Maca Bana, responded to this review, 11 July 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to put this review together. Glad you enjoyed your time with us! We're just finishing up some renovations in Rock Fig on the window seat & big bay window... All the best! Michaela, Uli, Rebecca & 'the crew'

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Tennessee
Reviewed 29 June 2011

I apologize for being so late in posting a review, but my husband and I were just reminiscing about Grenada, and I realized I never posted a review of the wonderful Maca Bana. We stayed for a week in the Coconut Bana during late June. It is truly a very special place, unlike anywhere I’ve ever stayed. It was our first trip to Grenada and we fell in love with the island and Maca Bana.

After a full day of traveling, our flight arrived 2 hours late at the airport. Maca Bana had sent a driver who was there waiting for us late at night (even with the flight delay) and he drove us the very quick ride up the hill to Maca Bana. As other reviewers have said, the hotel is very near the airport, but the rare planes are not a problem. The airport is on the other side of the mountain from the beach so it doesn’t interrupt your relaxation at all. We were greeted by the delightful Michaela, who warmly but efficiently checked us in and showed us to our villa. While she took us on a tour of the villa, I had that giddy feeling and I couldn’t stop smiling – it was amazing! We were in one of the 2BR deluxe villas (with 2nd bedroom locked), and it was so spacious and luxurious! The bedrooms are downstairs with a comfy bed and large walk-through closet with plenty of shelves and hanger space. The bathroom is awesome – extra large shower and everything is new and shiny. You walk up a beautiful spiral wood staircase to be greeted by an enormous gourmet kitchen, a reading nook, a living / dining room with flatscreen tv, a half bath, and the best part, the spacious deck and hot tub! I thought I had died and gone to heaven!

After Michaela left we immediately hit the hot tub. I’ve never been much of a hot tub fan, but I have to say sitting in that hot tub, alone on the hill, looking up at the stars and across to the lights of St. Georges was absolute bliss. I think I spent at least an hour per day, sometimes twice a day in that hot tub!

We were already thrilled with the villa, but when we awoke the next day and headed upstairs and out on the deck, our jaws hit the floor. Even though we had seen pictures on the internet, we couldn’t believe how blessed we were to be staying in such a beautiful place with the most incredible view of the shore! The deck had a nice sized table and chairs, two full-size loungers, the hot tub of course, and room to spare. Being up on the top of the hill, there was always a nice breeze to keep you comfortable while gazing at the view. From our villa we could also watch the sunset on the back side of the hill.

After we recovered from the shock of the awesome view, we set out to making breakfast. Arriving to a stocked kitchen was so nice! There were eggs, ham, cheese, yogurt, jam, butter, a loaf of bread, milk, juice, and a full tray of fresh fruits. In addition to breakfast, we were able to use the provisions for a couple of lunches and dinners too, supplementing with peanut butter we had brought from home and potato chips we bought at the grocery store. A couple nights we made grilled ham and cheese or egg and cheese sandwiches and ate on our private deck with our own fantastic view. Those free dinners were some of our favorites – none of the restaurants could provide that type of privacy and view!

The first day we hung out at the beach below the villas (Magazine Beach). In my opinion, this was probably the most beautiful beach I’ve seen. And I’ve seen quite a few (Hawaii, Jamaica, Barbados, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Curacao, St. Thomas, St. John, etc.). I loved the dramatic cliff and boulders on one end of the beach and the gentle crescent curve shape. I even loved the way the white sand blended with the dark volcanic sand to make a multi-colored beach. Honestly I don’t ever remember the temperature ever feeling hot, but it was plenty warm enough so that the water temp felt great. If I could change one thing it would be to lose the beach vendors. We had a bad experience with beach vendors in Barbados, so we tried to just laugh it off this time. We were the only ones on the beach that day, which would have been a plus, except that we were the only customers for the vendors! I have to say the vendors were all very friendly and not uncomfortably pushy. I bought a necklace from the first vendor, thinking I’ll buy now and then I can tell everyone else sorry I already bought. The next vendor had the same necklace for half price! I think we were approached by about 5 different people in 2-3 hours. But honestly, as much as I’d like to avoid the vendors, I would still go back to Maca Bana and Magazine Beach because it was that fabulous!

We spent a lot of time out exploring the island. Michaela was kind enough to coordinate a hike with Telfor, which was an awesome experience. We rented a car and drove around quite a bit. From Maca Bana it was very quick and easy to drive over to the Grand Anse area for shopping and restaurants. We toured St. Georges one day and also drove to La Sagesse to explore the beach and eat fresh seafood. I had heard rave reviews of La Sagesse beach, and it was beautiful, but honestly I liked our Magazine beach better. We had many wonderful experiences exploring the island, including a day trip to the Tobago Cays, but the best part of each day was coming “home” to our fabulous villa.

Our favorite day was Sunday, the Aquarium BBQ day. The beach was a lot busier that day but not overly crowded, and it was a fun casual atmosphere with good music and good people watching. We got a kick out of watching Terry the grass hat/bowl maker dancing to the band! We used Maca Bana’s very high quality free snorkel equipment and explored the rocks at the end of the beach. It was fun but the snorkeling in Grenada is not too impressive. DH had fun taking out Maca Bana’s kayak for a spin, but I was so comfy relaxing, reading, listening to my ipod, and sipping the most delicious Pina Colada ever that I just watched from the beach. I didn’t want the day to end, so I was disappointed that the man in charge of the beach chairs (free to Maca Bana guests) made us get up at 5pm so he could lock up the chairs for the day. That’s one thing I would change if I could – make the beach chairs available longer. After showering and watching the sunset from our villa, we headed back down for a dinner at the Aquariam – the BBQ menu is served all day; you order your entrée and they cook it on a large pit. The prices were very reasonable and the food delicious! I highly recommend that you don’t miss the Aquarium Sunday BBQ, regardless of where you stay.

The staff as well as the owners of Maca Bana were all very warm, welcoming and professional. One day we accidentally locked ourselves out of our villa, and the owner Uli personally walked up with us to let us in. We enjoyed talking to him about the place, which he and his wife Rebecca designed themselves. The housekeeping staff always did a fabulous job, as well as all other staff we saw. Best of all was the lovely Michaela, who was the perfect mix of friendly but professional. Maca Bana is very lucky to have such a talented manager.

I hope this review is helpful, even though it’s way overdue. If anyone sees any outdated information in the review, please feel free to point it out - I don’t want to lead anyone astray with old info. In summary, if you’re thinking of visiting Maca Bana, you will not regret it, and if you’re like me, you’ll be dreaming of the day you get to return!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Mommy_needs_RandR
MacaBana, General Manager at Maca Bana, responded to this review, 11 July 2011
So nice to hear you have fond memories of Maca Bana, thanks much for your support by taking the time to write and post this lovely review! Best wishes, Michaela, Uli & Rebecca and of course all the staff!
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Just returned from a glorious week in Maca Bana and just had to get on to Tripadvisor and let everyone know how wonderful it was.

Booking our stay was super easy thanks to Michaela the hotel manager, whose efficiency, customer service, enthusiasm and sheer professionalism casts a light sparkle of fairy dust over everything that goes on at Maca Bana. The place itself is good enough, but add in this level of service and care and you get something very special.

We stayed in Cherry – one of the deluxe Banas, but now having had a look at the whole site I have to say that you will have a good time whichever Bana you end up in. Some are more private than others, others have better sea views. I really suggest you discuss requirements with Michaela before you express a preference at all. Of course they can’t always guarantee your preference, but being who they are – they will sure try. I really think you’ll be happy wherever you end up.

Some points that make Maca Bana stand out from the crowd are the incredible high standard of the kitchens, the hot tubs and a great beach (Magazine Beach) close by. You may think you don’t need a hot tub in the Caribbean, but after a long days exploring the island, it all starts to make perfect sense !!

Maca Bana is also very close to the airport, you could walk it if you didn’t have bags to carry, but because of the geography (Maca Bana is over the brow of the hill), you could be miles away. Of course you hear the odd jet coming in, but it’s really not an issue.

The local beach is great, although of course Grenada has many more to offer, so don’t be shy, get out there and explore. Unless you want to stay on the same beach and eat in the same restaurant, you will need a car (or lots of taxis), so be prepared for that. Maca Bana is not in a town with walking access to shops and restaurants and that makes it quiet, secluded and private. However when you do get your car, you will find it an easy 5 minute drive to shops, supermarkets and loads of other beaches, so although Maca Bana is out of town, it is by no means remote.

The Aquarium restaurant at the bottom of the hill is great too – a lovely option for lunch or dinner on your doorstep, but make sure you take the 20 minute trip into St. Georges and sample all that the town has to offer as well. Breakfast you cook for yourself and Maca Bana will offer you a personalised shopping service so you don’t have to go out in the car all the time. Our tip is to get your favourites included in your welcome pack on the first day so it’s all ready for you in your fridge when you arrive! Don’t forget a bottle of rum ;-)

If you are going to Grenada and you want a bit more independence than a standard “all inclusive resort” has to offer and you don’t mind getting out and about in a car – this is the place to hang your hat.

Michaela and all at Maca Bana – thank you for our wonderful week.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Somersetpubspy
MacaBana, General Manager at Maca Bana, responded to this review, 11 July 2011
You are most welcome, I was thrilled to read how you enjoyed your holiday and your lovely review certainly put a big smile on our faces! Thank you so much for your support, we're happy that the Spice Isle has a place in your heart. Warmly, Michaela & everybody here;-)
Huntington Station, New York
Reviewed 9 May 2011

My Husband and I stayed at Maca Bana April 30th- May 7th 2011 for our honeymoon! We had booked the trip about 6 months prior after doing much research and basically going on all the reviews on tripadvisor. Once I saw Maca Bana, the photos, the website, the villas, the services offered I just KNEW I had to go there, even knowing so little about Grenada.
We booked and I could've never imagined the customized service I would receive even before actually getting to the resort. I had many email conversations with Michaela- MANY who ALWAYS responded to my questions and concerns in DETAIL. In those few months leading up to our trip I truly felt like I had someone there especially for me, awaiting our arrival- which is a nice feeling, that i have NEVER gotten from any other place we traveled.
When we arrived at Maca Bana after literally a 3 minute drive from the airport by a complimentary pick up taxi it was like we drove through the gates into our own private oasis.
Everywhere you look there are such beautiful grounds-- we pulled up to the Maca Bana office and were so pleasantly greeted (even at 7am) by Michaela with a smile.
She showed us around the resort, walked us up and around the winding pathways, little bridges, and secret gardens that make up Maca Banas landscape.
We stayed in Paw Paw one of the two small one bedroom Bana's the hotel offers- obviously these two Bana's were created with couples/honeymooners in mind. They sit and the highest point and have the most SPECTACULAR views.
The walk up to the villa is pleasant and not very challenging, even though it feels so high up.
Our villa was perfect, it was spotless, and adorned with fresh flowers everywhere, that I could smell the minute I walked in. There were giant leaves under soap dishes and under stacks of fresh fruit. Our fridge was STOCKED with the welcome groceries provided by Maca Bana and a special list I had sent to Michaela prior to our arrival of special things we wanted.. they shopped for them and had them all there for us when we arrived!
The villa is small but PERFECT for two... it consists of the galley style kitchen, bedroom with small desk and window nook, bathroom and deck/hot -tub area. It was truly our little oasis.
The pool area was another one of my favorite things at Maca Bana... It was so refreshing and provided such a great view. Maca Bana is small with a limited amount of guests so the size of the pool is perfect.
In this review Im going to be specific because I found when researching I still had many questions regarding Grenada- hope I don't go off to much for people only reading about the resort.
Before our arrival we had decided to rent a car so one of our days consisted of driving about the island and seeing the scenery, it was easier said then done for us. We are a young couple from New York so we thought 'how hard could the driving be?'- WELL when you are on the opposite side of the car, opposite side of the road and on mountainous terrain with the cliffs edge one wrong move away it was pretty hard. Also there are not many street signs and or names so mapping a location or the location you are actually in is impossible. However if your staying at or near Maca Bana and simply want the luxury of driving to a close restaurant or food store, those were pretty easily accessible.
We spent a few hours getting lost and asking people for help (everyone is SO nice and helpful) until we asked one more man on the side of the road for help and he offered to be our guide for the day. We graciously accepted.
Victor stayed with us for 5 hours--getting us to Annandale Falls, as well as an old Volcanic lake in a beautiful nature preserve.. we also visited Ft George which provided amazing views of the island... he also toured us through a spice market and pointed out simply EVERYTHING! he was amazing. I highly recommend him as a guide to anyone visiting Grenada. (I can provide you with his number)
As far as eating went we cannot complain of ANY meals we had while in Grenada.. We ate many times at the Aquarium, located at Maca Bana.. we felt so lucky to have this restaurant located at our resort, it was such a great environment and consistently great food & drink. Any negative reviews on the Aquarium are simply people not understanding the mood of this laid back caribbean island, we learned quickly that if we needed something just ask, because unlike the US and New York especially the waitstaff at the Aquarium was NOT going to rush you and throw your bill at you. Every experience there was a good one, with delicious food and the best Pina Coladas and Margaritas ever!
We also at the Beach House ( a 5 minute drive with a complimentary pick up/drop off service) twice, it was delicious.. my husband had his favorite meal of the trip there (twice) Chilean sea bass & a citrus meringue dessert. Accidentally on the day we drove about we had lunch at the Le Phare Bleu resort beach restaurant it was casual but DELICIOUS! what a great find!!!!! Also located there is a boat that actually double as a restaurant-- We also ate a Rhodes at the calabash, higher end with higher $.. it was good, not our favorite but very delicious and a beautiful environment. It was about a 10 minute drive, also with a complimentary pick up/drop off service.
We spent a lot of our vacation lounging, spending time at the beautiful beach that Maca Bana overlooks and the beautiful pool area... I cannot express enough what a fabulous experience our trip was for us and how highly we would recommend Grenada and Maca Bana. A couple other things about the resort- We had 3 spa treatments while there... all incredible.. Michaela also set us up on the deck of another villa so my Husband and I could have a couples massage (there was not enough room in our villa)
THE HILL- that everyone complains about in the reviews... yes it is a hike... its not about the length of it, like its that far from your villa to the beach.. its just the hill.. its quite steep and even for an in shape young couple some days after much food/drink or much sun/sand it was quite a challenge, with that said just knowing that we were headed back to our oasis made it well worth it... It would not deter me from going back to Maca Bana in the slightest.
Also it was great having new kinds of fresh fruit in our room each day, the gardener also delivered a huge piece of Aloe Vera that saved us after a sun filled day :) It was such a nice treat.
I can honestly say I have never had an experience quite like the one Maca Bana provided us with... I can only hope to return there and have dreams of bringing a crew of loved ones with me so they can experience the same feelings I did. Thank you Michaela and the staff of Maca Bana for everything!!!! We will miss you and that nook with the view in Paw Paw will remain one of my fondest thoughts on my grey days! :) thank you thank you thank you!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank krsmooney
Greenhithe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2011

My partner and I got married at Maca Bana and stayed for our honeymoon.
I will start with our wedding......... From the first contact in the UK to arriving to Grenada the general manager Michaela was outstanding. Organising a wedding from a far, takes time and many emails! All of our emails were answered so quickly, we knew straight away that we were going to be looked after.
Our wedding exceeded our expectations by miles, we read another review that stated 'I would kill to have my wedding and honeymoon here'. Well we did, and it was amazing!
The owner Rebecca is an artist, the flowers, finishing touches were gorgeous. All I had to do was give Rebecca the colours and the idea's flew, totally stress free!
Maca Bana were extremely flexible and accommodating.
All our menu's were printed and personalized, our cake was gorgeous, definitely above and beyond what you would imagine to get from a basic wedding package.
Grenada is a beautiful Island, perfect for a wedding, we explored the whole island, and this by far is the BEST wedding venue.
After the wedding we didn't think it could get any better, well it did. We had two amazing massages in our Bana, which had panoramic views of the ocean. Sitting in the hot tub with those views needs to be experienced!
We also had breakfast made by Ulrich in our Bana, the owner and Chef...........best omelette's we have eaten!
We really enjoyed the infinity pool, which we had to ourselves, the views were beautiful.
Housekeeping was very good, with fresh flowers everyday, it's the little touches that make a big difference and there were many, too many to mention!
Our guests after the wedding remarked on the fantastic venue, and the food. In particular our best friends, who live in London and have eaten all over the world said 'It is the best meal we have ever eaten'. I would agree, we had 5 courses, the service was great.
I felt at home at Maca Bana, and this is it's special quality.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lyndsey_and_Alex
MacaBana, General Manager at Maca Bana, responded to this review, 10 March 2011
Dear Lyndsey & Alex,

Thank you for this beautiful write-up on your Maca Bana and Aquarium experience, thanks for sharing this with everybody and for your support in getting the word out.
I'm happy that we will stay connected via facebook and do hope to get an update every now and then on how you are doing!

All the best from all of us, it was an absolute pleasure!

Warmly, Michaela
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. George's
3.1 km away
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel & Spa
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel &...
#1 of 4 in Lance aux Epines
Spice Island Beach Resort
#1 of 11 in Grand Anse
3.7 km away
Radisson Grenada Beach Resort

Been to Maca Bana? Share your experiences!