New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #5 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Wilmington, North Carolina
“great resort to unwind in a hurry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Pros: location is 10 minutes from the airport - Hello vacation!
excellent housekeeping (very clean), overall maintenance of pool and grounds was great with one exception. Always service with a smile by everyone! We had a team of two butlers, Orlando and Ian, who were great. Very good variety of entertainment. The best in fitness and tennis - Robin Spence - a real honest-to-goodness gem!
Food: very good breakfasts and lunch options. The island lunch was outstanding, with typical Jamaican grilled food. Dinner was pretty good overall, but plenty of room for improvement. The chocolate extravaganza has improved and was very good.

Cons:
Room: a/c in our room never produced cool temperature, even though we reported this 3-4 times (room 2212 Clarence). Our butler brought us a fan, which helped. Bed was definitely on the very firm side. Toilet seat is not very comfortable.

Food: Royal Thai food has not improved since our visit in 2011 - It is still overspiced.
Facility: tennis courts had torn nets and needed replacement. The beautiful bougainvillea flowers dropped on the court everyday and should either be picked up regularly - or just trim back the bushes.

Room Tip: Although I have stayed in St James and Clarence during this stay, I recommend the Kensington. Offer...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lizcoughlin
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
We're so happy that you had an excellent stay at Sandals Royal Caribbean! It's great that you enjoyed the comfort and luxury of our amazing property. Thank you so much for your review. We hope to welcome you back for an even better stay in the near future!

Happy Travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,271)
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in November to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We couldn't have had a nicer vacation! We booked our trip though Dream Makers Vacation Services as we always do for our Sandals/Beaches trips. Amy is wonderful to work with and as always she worked hard to ensure we had a wonderful experience.
We arrived in Montego Bay around 11:15am and arrived at the resort before noon. As an FYI, the shuttle to the resort also stops at Sandals Montego Bay first.
Upon arrival we were greeted with cool towels and were taken to the Club Lounge. Our room was not quite ready so we were escorted to lunch while we waited. By the time we got back to the lounge our room was ready to go.
I cannot say enough positive things about this resort. We booked and received a beachfront walkout room. We loved it! If you are a beach person, there is no better location at the resort. The rooms are standard, but this level does include club service, an in room bar and room service. Our patio was literally five steps to the beach. It was heavenly. Internet is also included at this room level.
The food was amazing. We had the chance to dine at all of the restaurants on property except Cricketers. I was really impressed with the quality of the food at every restaurant, and even more impressed by the level of service. It was by far the best service I have experienced at any Sandals. All of the staff was extremely prompt, attentive and friendly.

We did have one issue on our trip with water in our room, and even that was handled and rectified promptly and to our satisfaction. We were quickly moved to another room within an hour, and were offered compensation if any of our belongings had been damaged. They were not so it was not a huge deal. A minor inconvenience that was handled well.
We were celebrating our anniversary and Sandals and our TA made sure to make us feel special by having special treats delivered to our room during our stay.
This was my eighth stay at a Sandals resort and I honestly have to say it was one of the best we have had. The staff at this resort is special, and we loved the small feel to this resort. I definitely see a return trip to the Royal in our future!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kate C
We're so thrilled to read that you had an amazing anniversary with us at Sandals Royal Caribbean. We strive to offer memorable experiences for Two People in Love and I'm so glad that the great management and staff were able to make your stay an incredible one.

We look forward to welcoming you back for an experience that exceeds your expectations.
Lexington, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Where to begin? I never write reviews (famous last words .. ha ha) but I absolutely MUST because our experience at Sandals Royal Carribean was amazing. First off, this was a vacation to celebrate my husband's retirement 23 years US Navy (9 active 14 reserves) and basically for the two of us to enjoy some alone time (we have to lovely "spirited" girls, 8 and 10 who keep us busy). We were blessed to have grandma and papa to stay with the girls while we traveled. Over six months ago I started researching vacations. At first I thought we'd go on a cruise, I researched prices, ships, etc...but in the end realized we wanted to be "on land" and not worry about sea sickness, and the boats these days are huge and so much to do it can be kind of overwhelming so decided to research an "all inclusive" resort...just south enough that we knew the weather would be nice and still warm in December. Narrowed it down to Jamaica...because of the wonderful weather year round. Then the search for the right resort began. Started researching the Couples resorts which looked lovely as well. Booked with them but were allowed to cancel at anytime. I continued to research "competitors"...and came across the Sandals...oh yeah, they are the Wheel of Fortune sponsors...I recognize that name. So started to research Sandals in Jamaica. Read a TON of reviews and it also helped that a friend of mine went to SRC for her honeymoon and highly recommended it. We considered Whitehouse but I really wanted to be closer to the airport. We arrived December 1 and left on the 8th (yesterday). The weather was perfect...one day we had little rain and high wind but honestly, you're in Jamaica, how can you complain about a little rain. We loved the friendliness of everyone and highly recommend morning powerwalks and stretch class with their trainer, Robin. He's the best! We worked out with him a few days...so nice and the morning stretch on the beach, seriously, are you kidding me??? Stretching, relaxing on the beaches of Jamaica...NO PROBLEM, MON! LOVED IT! We loved the French restaurant - went twice. Andre was the BEST waiter! Honestly, everybody there was great. The Jerk chicken on the Island for lunch, are you kidding me, FABULOUS! We laid on the beach EVERY day and had no problems getting a lounger right ON the water. It is a smaller resort but we had no problems with crowding it was peaceful and lovely. We loved the white night buffet and chocolate night was delicious too ... I could go on and on but if you are looking for RELAXING, beautiful, comfortable...go here. BTW...we did not do consierege or butler and were treated equally...got beds made every day AND turn down service and full fridge. Seriously, YOU do NOT need butler service...at least we didn't...we enjoyed getting up and walking around. Oh yeah, the grounds/gardens are beautiful. IGNORE the SNOOTY "WORLD TRAVELERS" that go on here and get all snooty about oh we have the luxury to travel the world and complain about littlest things...honestly...good Lord...get a life. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!! LOVED IT and LOVED the people! We're not elitist who complain about silly things. One recommendation...show some respect, appreciate their culture...you're on THEIR land...please and thank you go a long way...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank thirdcruiser
Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Royal Caribbean. We're delighted to read that you had such an awesome time at our resort. I'm so happy that we succeeded in creating that luxury relaxing experience for you.

We look forward to your return for an even better stay in the near future.
Milton, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We are a Diamond Guest at Sandals, having spent 88 nights with Sandals/Beaches including this trip. We had booked at Sandals Carlyle. At the airport we were told we were staying at the Royal, an upgrade we were told... As scuba divers, being close to the ocean is a perk, so were excited to see this resort! Unfortunately, we waited a LONG time in the reception area to check in, finally going up to the desk to ask if we could go to our room. As a Diamond guest we usually check in in our room, having champagne on ice & snacks waiting for us... Not the case here. We weren't even "welcomed home" or recognized as a return guest. Our room was probably the lowest category there, I could hardly fit in the bathroom & I don't consider myself a large person. The balcony looked out over the bus arrival area, so no view. I visited the Soon Come Back desk as our travel agent had told us she was unable to honor our previous booking & to check when we arrived for the spa credit that I had signed up for. The employee kindly got on the phone to Unique Vacations & tactfully told me that our travel agent had cancelled our Soon Come Back booking as she wouldn't get her full commission with the new commission structure & that I was out our spa credit. I left frustrated as I work in retail in the U.S. and we "take care of our customers..." The next day my husband came down with FOOD POISONING, probably from the Regency buffet. He was throwing up & had diarrhea for 24 hours. I reported his illness at the nurses station only to be told it would be $170.00 US to see the Dr. I told her I was a Naturopathic Physician & wasn't willing to pay the fee... She gave me a cup for a stool analyisis. I took the stool analysis to the nurse. The next day I returned looking for results. It was hard for her to look up from her cell phone & texting, but she told me that it might be TWO weeks before they would have results and they would only notify me if there was a concern... REALLY??? Who else was sick that didn't complain??? Steve missed a day of scuba diving & several meals as well as felt miserable for 24 hours while the bug worked through his system. In 9 years I have only seen him throw up ONCE, so know it was the food. I ended up asking a dive team member to accompany me off the resort to a pharmacy to buy charcoal capsules to help my husband. The hotel manager did bring ginger root to our room, but no knife to peel & cut it, so was unable to make a tea. There was no direct follow up to see how Steve was doing, just a casual, "how are you?" if a manager saw him walking around... After going through the island wide virus on Turks two years ago, I am again dismayed at the lack of care Sandals has for a food borne toxin. Our dive team was AWESOME, It was GREAT to see Diesel, Brian & Devon again! We knew them from other Sandals/Beaches resorts! RJ, David, Shak, Romaine & others were WONDERFUL as well!! They are very professional, friendly and make diving FUN!! We look forward to diving with you guys in the future! We tried to take Brian & RJ out for dinner at El Jardinea which is a nice perk of being a diamond guest. The security guards at the employee entrance REFUSED to let them enter. We ate ALONE again.... This is the THIRD time, on 3 different Sandals resorts: Royal Bahamian, Antigua and now Royal Carribean, where the employees have been denied entrance & dining priviledges with us. If Sandals can't communicate to the security guards our wishes, then PLEASE don't offer this service.... This is the second time I have left a Sandals resort CRYING because I am so UPSET with the LACK of service... Dwight, one of the managers did come to our table when we were waiting for our employee guests to ask what was wrong, BUT he NEVER returned to tell us what happened...we had to find out the next morning from our guests... When I questioned our room "upgrade" I was told by the front desk that "for the $$ I paid for my room at the Carlyle the room at the Royal was an upgrade & if I had a concern about it to talk with Mr. Elliott, the General Manager at the Carlyle." Wow, I wasn't expecting such a blunt answer... I did speak with Mr. Elliott that night when we went to the Carlyle for dinner. He apologized for our lack of service & was unable to show us the room category that we had booked into, but asked us to call him the next morning after we were done diving. My husband did so & Mr. Elliott offered us a Butler suite with a Butler if we chose to return to the Carlyle. We returned without thinking twice. Dwight was willing to give us a complimentary taxi back to the Carlyle with our luggage instead of having to take the scheduled hourly shuttle. I do want to compliment two other employees that really stood out for EXCELLENT customer service, especially in light of all the problems we had. Verna at the beach bar was always willing to fill our beverages with a SMILE and kind words! She was constantly busy, but still had time to make small talk & appreciated our short conversations. Latoya in the Cricketeer Pub ( I hope I have your name right, the beautiful, pregnant woman who is expecting a daughter on our son, Chris's birthday, Feb. 26th!!), you brightened up our mornings after the problem in the Regency... You were also very good about getting our food to us in a timely manner with our dive boat schedule & did GREAT with my gluten free request! Thank you for your WONDERFUL service and great smile! Blessings on your birth and new baby girl! I really hope that service and attention to detail will improve at this resort.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Karen B
We regret to hear that we did not meet quite your expectations for service and quality. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our accommodations. However, as hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review.

As you know, your experience is truly not indicative of the norm and we would like to correct the situation and exceed your expectations during a future visit. I will be sure to send your feedback to the General Manager and relevant departments for immediate evaluation and action as needed.
Whalley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Just returned from a weeks stay & can only say that we would recommend this resort to anyone & would love to return ourselves someday. As has been said in many previous reviews - the staff are absolutely great, helpful, smiling, & always willing to go out of their way to ensure you have the best time and aren't disappointed in any way. We booked in at Club level and I have to say that Desreen who looked after us was fantastic - nothing was too much trouble for her at all. Anything we asked for was sorted & dealt with so efficiently that it reminded me that whilst us holidaymakers are relaxing & chilled out to the max, there are so many people working like fizz under the surface to make it all happen !! Andre in Le Jardinere restaurant was a lovely lad, again so attentive & eager to please, Janice ran the Regency dining area like clockwork (but again very unobtrusive, so it seemed effortless - which we know it isn't !). Our room was in the Kensington block, it was lovely and quiet round the pool & beach there - again, like several reviewers, the area I'd recommend if you want to be close but not right on top of the activities. The restaurants were all extremely good quality - Le Jardiere & the Thai particularly, with the service top notch. We'd like to thank all the staff for making our holiday wonderful, and hopefully we'll see you all again very soon, Sherryl & Rob.

Room Tip: Kensington block - as mentioned in review, best for being quieter when you want that peaceful downti...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sherryl T
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
We're so thrilled to hear of your outstanding stay at Sandals Royal Caribbean. Our highly trained staff work hard to ensure that our guests enjoy every minute of their precious vacation time spent with us. So it's great to hear that your stay was such an incredible experience, especially your interactions with our staff members. Thank you for your review!

We can't wait for you to return for another amazing vacation!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay