“If owner Josh is there, everything will be irie~”

Sugarpot Beach Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #49 of 115 Restaurants in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 1 September 2016

This beach is super sweet. There is lovely shade. We came in 2015, and enjoyed 3 days in a row at the end of our trip.
We met Josh for the first time and he was wonderful, intelligent and welcoming.
He was elated after reading my 2015 review so the vibes began well.

This year, the owner Josh, was there for the first 10 days, then he had to go back to Belgium for 2 weeks.
Once he left, the gate opened later and later. The WI-FI connection was absent as well. Many regular items on the menu, were unavailable.
The staff vibes toward us became strained due to bad manners and being too comfortable with "the regulars". Begging was blatant and gratitude was absent.

My husband carried the chair out to our spot and back at the days end, as the yard person had been severely cut and was unable to work. My husband helped pick up bottles and debris off the beach due to the circumstance, plus a bus of people from Kingston arrived. He did it as a favor to Josh and to the guests that had arrived in the bus.
The only staff there at that moment, had no KEYS to open the restaurant, the bathrooms or the building where the chairs were. This led to a bus load of angry, hungry people, at 11AM.
We ordered food later on, but they "forgot to put our order in", so we left.
Its an hour to an hour and a half wait, for "cook-to-order" food.

Two workers were very rude, to the point that it literally, drove us away for good.
Our son is half Jamaican and he does not want to go back either, and he is 21.
He was appalled at someone asking him for "all of your clothes before you leave".

I am not saying not to go here. If Josh is sitting in his spot with a Heineken and Deidra is cooking, then by all means, stay and enjoy this sweet spot. . Deidra is a chef, not a cook, imo. Really delish food from this woman no matter what you order.

I think everything happens for a reason. We came, we crossed paths with the most wise, beautiful, sweet, SMART 2 year old, whose mom is a waitress there. She was the absolute best part of the journey this year, and we hope she soars at FAITH BUILDERS EARLY CHILDHOOD center, come September 2016,

We ended up exploring and we found several other beaches in the area, we had yet to experience. They both have cook-to-order food and the sea is the same sweetness. One is free the other is the same fee as Sugar Pot Ruins, but they play better music, plus they BOTH have WI-FI all the time. It would be inappropriate to list them in this review.

Josh returned and called my cell, asking why we never came back.My husband spoke to him, but was unable to go into detail for reasons I cannot specify at this writing.
I ended up emailing him, and apparently, he had "words" with the staff about what happened while he was away. You cannot fix anything if you are not aware.

Now, the waitress of the "little, wise, sweet child", has sent me "FAKE PEOPLE" posts and other insults on FB. She is blaming the customer for the actions of the staff. "Its impossible to work here because of your email."
The stupid part is, she was not one of the staff that drove us out! She is now added to the list.
Talk about burning your bridges when someone steps forward and sponsors your child in the best school on the north coast.
The words "thank you" or "I am sorry", are not in their minds eye.

Someone came to the beach in the middle of the day, brandishing a weapon. It was pretty scary, but the staff were not the least bit alarmed.
While the place is unspoiled, the vibes of the venue make or break you.
If the boss is away, stay away~

1  Thank Sista-Levi

Reviewed 24 July 2016

Never met such unfriendly people! After parking our car we wanted to get an overview of this property. After reaching the beach a very unfriendly and rude woman told us that we have to pay 300J$ per person only for having a look around! Otherwise she would call the police! It's really not a place to be! After this incident a bus stopped with a lot of people in there and the owner has already made his money for that day! :-(((

3  Thank Dirk S
Reviewed 22 July 2016

Need to get good direction to find it but, GOOD food, Good Vibes and just a relaxing day. The staff was very friendly.

Reviewed 12 June 2016

I fell in love the minute I stepped on the beach...I could write for days but I am making a choice not to spoil how 'virgin'this spot is....keeping it a secret. I feel the owners vision and I will respect it....my friend the explorer found this place...met Sister Levy and then magic happened!!!!

1  Thank Indiandragonfly
Reviewed 3 May 2016

Had stumbled across this place on TripAdvisor, and knew I had to check it out! It definitely was a little "out of the way", but our driver, Kemrod "Smiley" Riley found it for us! Our group had a great time here. The beach was absolutely beautiful. The owner was a very welcoming lady who made our group fresh jerk chicken, which everyone absolutely loved....and the beers were nice and cold too! We got to meet some locals who had just finished spearfishing, and had a colorful assortment of fish. This was one of the highlights of our trip!