“The best place for authentic Jamaican food in Ocho”
Review of San-Mar Cafe

San-Mar Cafe
Ranked #64 of 117 Restaurants in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 19 February 2017

My husband and I ate at this place all 7 days of our stay in Ocho. We fell in love with the place from the first meal. We had akee for breakfast every day and found it better than at other place. We have to admit that akee we ate in other places too, since we had to have it more than once a day. We were very busy during the days and the owner was so kind as to save 2 portions of whatever we decided to have the day before. Remember, that the lady runs out of the best stuff long before evening hours. But she still has 2-3 other dishes. Ask her what she is going to have the next day, since she rotates her menu during a week. The place open long hours and closed on Sunday. The owner is there almost all the time. And before I forget, local people eat there for it is cheap. Her akee has more salt fish, onions and tomatoes, than other places. Visit this place at least once and you will be hooked.

Reviewed 20 August 2015

One of my coworkers that used to live in Jamaica told me about this place and when I got to Ocho rios and asked some locals about this place the response I got was "oh, that's a good place- I go there every week" or "that's a great place, everyone goes there!" ... this was a great sign. This is a small take out spot in the Ocean Village Center that may take a little time to find but this is the authentic good stuff- that golden nugget of deliciousness that you will be so proud to have found because it's so good and it hasn't been overrun by tourists yet. The menu changes daily with different specials every day. I got some cornmeal porridge one day and it was so delicious- REAL Jamaican porridge done the way it is supposed to be- with coconut milk! I had the pumpkin rice, the brown stewed pork, I had the fried chicken with chili sauce (I still crave this and wish I could have it again)... it's all ridiculously delicious and inexpensive too- definitely check it out!!! You can easily get there if you are staying at a hotel nearby by jumping on the Ocean Village Center shuttle and you can ask any local- they all know and love this place!

1  Thank Lydia M