“Great Time”

Ranked #31 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Crystal Lake,Illinois
“Great Time”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We stayed at HSH for eleven days and this was our first time in Negril on the cliffs. Prior to arrival Charlie the owner responded very quickly with any questions we had. Upon arrival the staff was there greeting us by name and before we could get everything out of the car Dino and Jade had everything already up to our room, Sunset suite #14. The room was somewhat dated and with a littlte TLC and minor repairs it is a fantastic room. The room is large and had a fridge and coffee pot,microwave and two burner hot plate.The views from the room and large balcony were just amazing.

The property was small and had a great vibe and was quiet at night. The entire staff was outstanding and made our stay enjoyable
Location was great to walk to town or up to other sections of the cliffs.

The restaurant and bar staff were all great and made it a point to know your names from day one. We ate breakfast every day and did a couple of dinners and one lunch. All the food was great and Chef Roy would cook to order and does a great job.

Have to Thank all the staff for making our stay special.
Charlie,Marcia,Dino,Angie,Sharon,Chef Roy,Gladstone,Winston,Garth,Jade,
See You all next year.
Nick and Grace

Room Tip: Room 14 has a Great balcony and the view is amazing
2 Thank vikman61

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Big Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I gave my two young adult son's (20 & 23) this trip for Christmas, figuring this just may be the last time the three of us will be able to travel together. They are starting their own busy lives. They had never travel out of the country before and it was so important to me that they felt the WOW of an amazing trip! With the help of Charlie (owner) and Home Sweet Home I had GREAT success in the WOW department. Being a Mom with two boy's I needed a certain type of sleeping arrangements which I found to be a very hard find with the other local resorts. HSH had the perfect arrangement at an affordable price. We were in #13 above the dining room which has the nicest and very large patio area allowing 360 views yet providing a private feeling. We loved our room! I agree 100% with the most resent reviews (2012) Yes this resort does quiet down early, which we preferred. However the two nights we stayed out late and attempted to slip back in quietly Charlie's very friendly security busted us - this made for a very peaceful nights sleep knowing HSH had our back. Charlie did make his presence everyday we were there and asked if we needed anything. We only ate breakfast which was excellent, the foods were fresh. This resort is just charming, clean and very relaxed. I have only two negatives 1) I did bring my own but it would be nice to have a coffee pot in the rooms, I am a early riser and really enjoyed my early mornings in my PJ's on our over sized patio watching Jamaica wake up. 2) I wish I would have booked a longer stay at this very comfortable and relaxing resort! Thank you Charlie! The boy's and I had a blast!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Melinda P
Laingsburg, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Home Sweet Home ended up being a great location for my girlfriend Pie and me. We are walkers and loved the location on the cliffs. Easy walk to town, right in the middle of the pub crawl, close to Xtabi, Bentleys, Pee Wees, No Limit, Swordfish, German Bar, Canoe, Mi Yard. We walked for coffee every morning at Easy Rock - great coffee there. So I really liked the location. The property is beautiful, it has one of the best 4-5 cliff setups on the West End in my opinion. Everything is RIGHT on the cliffs, the rooms, the pool, the restaurant and a great series of sun decks and dives on the way down to the sea. The property is showing its age but it is well cared for. 40 years on the cliffs in the tropics with a couple of big hurricanes will put a little wear and tear on a place. The owner, Charlie from Minnesota, is on site throughout the high season I believe. He was there the whole week.

We had room 6, it was nice. We never closed the verandah doors the entire week. The tree to the left of our verandah had been trimmed and shaped to give us a tree limb framed view of the sea. It was very nice. we loved the verandah. My girlfriend said at the end it didn't feel like we'd spent enough time there even though it was always at least a couple of hours a day. There is air conditioning but we never used it. The bathroom is pretty spartan but functional. The shower is big enough for two but drains a little slow. You may be standing in water over your toes if you take a long shower. The only toiletries provided is bar soap. There's a great big high quality mirror on the wall running nearly the length of the bed and a couple of very nice prints on the wall. Daily housekeeping and I thought they did a very good job.

It's a small resort, 14 rooms squeezed in between the road and the cliffs. A couple of big trees in the courtyard, a very nice section of grass. The second floor seaview suite is the primo unit on the property. You see nothing but the sea from that balcony and it's a big balcony. The two floor unit below is also very nice. it has three beds, a king upstairs that opens onto the balcony and two doubles downstairs. It has an impressive two floor glass window looking out at the sea.

Mostly couples stayed there when we did. A group of four buddies was there the first couple of nights. It's a quiet place after 9 pm except for the guys playing dominoes those first couple of nights. You are close to the street so you're going to have some street noise. Dogs are part of Jamaican street life. Heard one get hit one night, that was sad. My girlfriend said the dogs were pretty loud Friday night but I had my last night drunk on and didn't hear but maybe one little outburst that could pull me out of my Appleton and Stones induced slumber. The rest of the week they were really a non-issue for us. A bark here and there. Miss Mae at Josephs Cave says the dogs bark when evil is about so I'm glad we were in by that time

The restaurant is good, your bill there is seperate from the room and you need to settle with them seperately.We had good brown stew, Escoveitch and fish and chips there, they make a great Dirty Banana. Friends said their Spanish Omelette was the best they'd ever had but we drank coffee and ate fruit for breakfast every morning. Coffee from the restaurant wasn't so good but I noticed a couple of folks apparently rented electric percolators from the hotel or restaurant and made coffee in their rooms. We ate around a lot so the restaurant wasn't a big part of our consideration. It was usually closed already when we came in for the evening and we weren't late nighters.

I would and probably will go there again. Maybe not the next trip as there may be some different components to it, but I really like the place. With taxes the room ran $880 for the week, pretty good I think for a clean, well maintained property with a private verandah and sea view on the cliffs.

Charlie and all his staff are very friendly and helpful. I wanted this to be a very romantic trip for my girlfriend and Charlie helped out with many requests. I believe he would help out with any reasonable request, he loves the place and lives there.

Hope this helps those who asked Go and enjoy, we did!!

Room Tip: All the rooms here have views of the sea with your own verandah or patio. The suites, however, have...
2 Thank Guirigay
Reviewed 29 February 2012

this was our 3rd trip to the Negril cliffs and Home Sweet Home was just that! From the moment we arrived, we were welcomed and treated like family; we enjoyed wonderful Jamaican food at the restaurant on the beautiful cliffs, our room was clean and fresh every day, and the location allows you to wander down the way and have a real flavor of Jamaica! Thanks to all of you at Home Sweet Home for a memorable time in Jamaica!
Betsy and Archie

2 Thank sugarlake
West Orange NJ
Reviewed 28 February 2012

As the name implies this is Home Sweet Home. the only thing missing were my 3 kids. As stated in all the reviews this is not The Waldorf Astoria on the Beach, but what it lacks in luxury and amenities it more than makes up for the most welcoming,embracing,comfortable and warmest place i have ever stayed in. Oh yeah the view and the location is also great. No need to go to the Rock House/ RIck's Cafe to watched the sunset and pay $125 for dinner, you can sit on the lawn or the dining for less than that. The food cooked up by Chef Roy is great. presentation and taste. Yes they don't have a beach. but they do have a cliff flatform from which you can dive off the water and view, simply amazing. there's also what i called a tanning flatform on the side of the cliff. no hawkers here. privacy . no loud music . just the waves crashing.

Yes there are some thing that can be fixed as stated in the reviews. ie weak water pressure, update the bathroom fixtures, my ceiling fan was squeaking, coffee for the early riser(such as myself) and a bartender behind the bar. oh yes don't forget to arrange the lounge chairs on the lawn. lets make it more aesthetically pleasing.

All in All my wife and i will come back to Home Sweet Home. (already planning)

I will tell my friends and family about Home Sweet Home.

Thank you Marcia for arranging the Masseuse
Thank you Chef Roy for the great dinners and breakfast.
Thank you Winston for the excellent fruit drinks
Thank you Charlie for HOME SWEET HOME.!!!!

3 Thank JollyandJulie