“Feeling ambivalent about Club Ambiance”
Review of Club Ambiance

Club Ambiance
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Upgraded to Honeymoon suite and view was sooooo worth it. We spent a lot of time on our balcony on the oceanfront. Staff was mixed between very helpful, pleasant and couldn't care less unless you were tipping. Food was less than satisfactory - so much processed food and lacking 'fresh'. Fish dishes were excellent.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Laurie L
Write a ReviewReviews (1,383)

Reviewed 19 February 2012

Having been to Jamaica many times but never stayed at an AI I did my homework and secided to give Club Ambiance a try.You can read all the reviews but at some point you have to see for yourself.My work background is in hospitality with many years working at hotels in resort destinations..

Landing in Montego Bay late at night it was a fairly easy trip to the resort.This despite the fact Celine Dion was in concert there that night.

Check in was a breeze with none other than the manager taking care of things.When I presented my credit card he told me that would not be necessary.Next upon inquiring re safe lock he told me the fee was no longer in place.

Gibbs the night porter grabbed my bag and I followed him to my room for the next 2 weeks.It was room #91.After a long day of travel I was in bed by 2:00 a.m.

Coming from winter in Toronto to Jamaica I was fighting a bit of a bug and wanted to sleep and rest a bit.The largest complaint I offer was the lack of any semblance of routine with the maids showing up somedays as late as 5:00 p.m.Again no big deal,in fact 2 days there was no service at all.

Well the first morning the maid was knocking at the door pretty early and I told here I was sick and wanted to sleep and she should come back later.Not 5 minutes later the phone was ringing to find out if I was o.k and if I needed a doctor.

Once I got moving I was quick to realize that my room was not the honeymoon suite.Located next to the "gym" with a view of the back of the snack bar.I am pretty easy to please so I unpacked and got organized.The worst part of this room was the dampness and humidity.My clothing was always damp and the floor was never quite dry.The maid told me to leave the AC on.That might have been fine had the weather been hotter but I had actually woken up chilled on my first night.Compound that with a full day of rain and I could really feel the dampness.All of this caused some kind of funky mold to form on some of my clothes.I showed this to the maid and the items were cleaned and returned in 2 hours.

The weather was a bit spotty and I had come prepared with 4 novels.Moving from place to place there are lots of different places to hang.You don't have to park in 1 spot you can get all the sun or shade you want.

When I was planning the trip I had plans to do this and that.Guess what,only left resort a couple of times to go to shop.This was easy talked to tour desk lady,she makes a call and you give the driver a good tip and your back in short order.

As the days rolled by the staff get to know your name and you in turn get to know them.Like many other reviews have made mention the staff make this resort.It really is true.Never more so than on talent night where staff from all departments got to show there stuff.That was one of the highlights for me.The other notable event was the opportunity to see how loved Bob Marley is as February 6 was the anniversary of his birthday.

I never had any issues with the food.Did wonder where canned.peaches in syrup was doing on the buffet?!Would like to have seen a little more local produce and island fruits that we generally don't see.Best item hands down were the jerk chicken and pork that were served on Jamaica night.I love hot and the jerk sauce was not lacking.

The entertainment crew does a good job.The best by far was the Jamaican night.Limbo,fire breathing Mr.Chin just great stuff!!

So time rolled along and I had to go.Will I become a "returner"? It was a good stay and if I could get the same kind of deals that I heard others speak of it would be a no brainer.I like the size it is not a mega resort.As I have written they are in tune with their guests and can still offer a good guest experience for a pretty good price.

As I was sitting in the lobby waiting for my transfer back to MoBay I had pulled my luggage out to the entrance.The security guard asked me if I really wanted to leave that badly and I should go have another beer before he cuts my wristband off.

I looked up and saw Stacey the bartender.She said goodbye to me by name.At this point the bus was pulling in and it was time.

• Stayed: February 2012
6  Thank bonzoboxer
Reviewed 19 February 2012

This hotel is perfect for a relaxing holiday in a beautiful location. The beaches are small but lovely and the sea is really clean and clear. There are plenty of sunbeds both in the sun and the shade. The bedrooms are a good size and the bathrooms are fine. I did find that the water temperature fluctuated a bit but it wasn't a big problem. The drinks were delicious! I loved all of the cocktails and the beer and wine was also really good....the best AI I've had for sure! The food was fine but some nights were better than others. The Italian evening was definitely the best! Breakfasts are really good, especially the fresh omelettes! The staff were all really friendly and we went out on the glass bottomed boar which was really good. The only negatives were that the entertainment, especially in the evenings was too loud at times. It's only a small resort so it really wasn't necessary. It made the walks to our room vibrate. The only other thing that we noticed on our last day was that behind out bed there was a plug socket hanging off the wall with wires hanging out of it and lots of dust and dirt there. This was acreal shame as the rest of the room was spotless! Despite the two negatives this was the perfect holiday and I would definitely love to return one day! I can't recommend it highly enough!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank flobo5

Hi
We stayed as a couple at Club Ambiance the first week of Feb. I have been checking the reviews and just can't let the previous review be the only one on for almost two weeks. We were there the same time as they were and really had a much better experience! This is a small resort that doesn't have the food menu that the large resorts have but there was always something good to eat if you looked at all. There was a great book in the room that explained how everything worked and was very helpful but you had to read it. Maybe the previous person didn't have one in their room or didn't look at it. Our a/c froze us out if you set it low. You had to control it with a remote mounted on wall by bed. The disco entrance was by the gift shop. Our shower worked great and had lots of pressure and hot water. They said the safe was not included in the literature when we booked. I figured the $21 for the week was a tip for the hotel because at the price we booked the resort didn't make much on us.. We enjoyed going to the nude beach to suntan and didn't think it was obtrusive at all. Nothing kinky just suntanning! This is an adults only resort and we enjoyed it immensely. Others on the plane back mentioned all the screaming kids at their resorts. Great if you are taking kids but not great if you just want a nice laid back vacation. The weather was not great when we were there. Windy and cloudy but the sun broke out everyday and we managed to get all the tan we needed. Last day was glorious. Did not see any seaweed?? We loved seeing the little crabs on the rocks. They didn't bother you and tried to hide from you. This is the ocean!!
We thought the drinks were fantastic but if you are super fussy about brands etc I suppose they would not satisfy. They have their house brands and only Red Stripe beer. I loved it!!
The thing about towels is not true. We never took ours back until check out and never got charged. People lounging topless and smoking OH NO what is the world coming to@!! Sorry Houston this is not an attack on your review. We just had such a different experience that I just had to report on our trip. Don't be afraid to stay here. I am sure Sandals is nicer but compare prices. This was a great place for the price!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Gerry G
Reviewed 18 February 2012

This was our 3rd time to Jamaica and our 1st time at CA. We had previusly stayed at the RIU in Ocho....huge contrast to CA.
We arrived after a great ride from the airport on JTL. We got to the resort around 3:00p.m. Check in was fast and shortly after we were in our room. We booked a Deluxe room and we were very happy with it, it was really big with a great patio and a great view. The room had a sofa, loveseat, desk and chair and a fridge.
I had done alot of research into CA so I was very aware that it is a small place, it was very different than what we were used to, but in a good way!!! After a couple of days we were lovin it. We really liked how the beaches were laid out, and that there is plenty of shade if you want to get out of the sun. The water is calm and beautiful.
The food was really good....I thought for a small place they really try to appeal to all people with the choices to pick from...I can honestly say I never left any meal hungry, thats for sure!!! I especially liked breakfast with the fresh fruits and french toast and potatoes as well as eggs, an omelet station and always a jamaican dish or two, also fresh breakfast muffins...yum!!
Our housekeeper was great, always stopped by to see what we needed and quickly took care of any requests.
The two best things about Club Ambiance was....NO KIDS and 24 hour coffee. I love coffee so that was a big plus...even at other resorts we havent been able to get coffee when we wanted so the coffee was great.
After 5 nites here we had to leave to go meet up with family in Negril, where we stayed at the RIU there for a few more days before we left the island. Immediately we missed the peace and quiet of CA and found ourselves wishing we were back on their beach instead of milling around thru 1000 or more other people looking for loungers or trying to find a table at dinner, etc.
The layout of Club Ambiance is really nice too, everything is close and to get anywhere on the resort from your room takes no time, as compared to the bigger resorts.
I would have to say that we would definitely return to CA. Hopefully soon!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple