“Awesome Honeymoon 2-12-05 thru 2-18-05”
Review of Club Ambiance

Club Ambiance
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Desoto, Missouri
Reviewed 28 February 2005

Because we were paying for our wedding/honeymoon ourselves, we found a reasonable all-inclusive resort called Club Ambiance. We read all the trip reviews and we were going there with a forgiving attitude. After experiencing a house fire a month before the wedding, we were looking to get away. Club Ambiance was wonderful. There was no problems with our reservation. Honeymoon Suite #3 is the best room in the resort with double doors out to the balcony that overlooks the nightly entertainment area. It could be a little loud in the evenings; I think it cut off at 11 p.m. It didn't keep us awake. The room was very clean and welcoming. The food was awesome and had a great variety every night. The staff (Peter, Wickcliff, Deanroy, Leon, Anthony, plus others) were great. The water pressure wasn't the best, but was workable. The beach is small, but never over crowded. It was a wonderful, small, intimate resort which was exactly what we were looking for. We can't wait to go back. Jim and Angie Wagner

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,382)

Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 February 2005

Just returned from CA, after a 6 night stay. Myself and 3 friends were pleasantly surprised after all the reviews we read. We didn't expect it to be as nice as it was. The rooms were not fancy, but were clean. Our airconditioner worked fine, and the only trouble we had was with the tv, and they brought a new one almost immediately. The food was excellent, and the staff was exceptional. I know you don't have to tip, but I think we probably got better service because we did. If you are looking for fancy, this isn't it. I think the word ambiance is appropriate. We had a great time, and would definitely recommend Club Ambiance.

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kansas
Reviewed 24 February 2005

I read each and every one of these reviews before we went and I was prepared for anything. But I went with the attitude that it would be a great place with lots of fun people to spend time with. And I wasn't disappointed. I spent a week at Club Ambiance Jan. 27-Feb. 3 with a couple of girlfriends. What we wanted out of the week was total relaxation and to be free from the stress of work. Club Ambiance gave us that and more.

I would suggest that before you go you give them a call to verify your reservation. I'd read many reviews that stated when they showed up they didn't have a reservation. Well that happened to us also. Luckily the villa was available, which I was very excited about, as it has its own pool. We shared it with some really fun people from Wisconsin (who also showed up with no reservation in the computer) and it was great, off the beaten path, quiet, we even had our own little beach.

The first full day we were there it rained the entire day. No worries, we just got out our reading material and sat out by the pool! The rest of the vacation was beautiful weather and we made the most of it. We tried to take in all the activities, from the disco to karaoke. The drinks are great and the bartenders even made a couple for us they'd never heard of after we told them the ingredients. We didn't have to wait long for our drinks, and anyone who says they did expects people to come when they snap their fingers.

Although we did tip some, and to our favorite people, we never felt pressured to do so. I'm not sure why some people wrote that they did. Maybe it's the way they treated the staff? These people work extremely hard at what they do, and their main goal is to make the guests happy. I can't complain about anyone that worked there. One night, late, some of us wanted to walk down to the Blue Pearl but it was closed. Gibs, a sweetheart who works at CA, was kind enough to take us across the street to a bar. It's not something I'd suggest you do on your own, and even though I never felt threatened, some of the others were a bit scared. But if you can find a local to take you, it's an experience!

The food was delicious and varied, although by the 4th or 5th day, it was starting to get a bit boring because you start to see repeats. If I was to stay longer than a week at a time, I'd try to eat out some. As it was, we ate every meal there since it was included and we could save our money for other things. The rooms are like everyone says, tidy and clean but nothing fancy. Our bathroom was extremely small and the water pressure was nothing to write home about. But it's a small complaint that gets lost with everything else that's so great about CA.

I loved the fact that the place was so small and quaint. A large resort with 2000 other guests would not have made for the relaxing vacation that I longed for, but just added to the stress factor. From the very first day we arrived, some of the staff were calling us by name. You'd be lucky if anyone even recognized you at Sandals or Beaches. I will say that I found the Europeans to be less than friendly. But the Brits, Canadians and other Americans were great and I wish I could have spent more time with so many that we met. They were a big part of the wonderful experience. The only drawback for me was that I got sick for the last 4 days of my stay, and had to finally go to a local doctor. If that hadn't happened, it would have been one of my favorite vacations to date. I still have super memories of the place, and although I'm not sure I'll go back to Jamaica anytime soon, you can bet if I do I'll be staying at Club Ambiance! Write me if you want to know anything else or see pictures, I'd be happy to help you!

• Stayed: January 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 23 February 2005

My fiancée and I booked out wedding with Club Ambiance. We understood that this was a “value resort”. It is ok for the money – but – the food was not good and we never received a marriage license!! We paid hundreds of dollars for the wedding and were given a slip of paper saying we were married. Jasmine told us we would receive our marriage license in a few weeks. That was seven months ago. She told us three times since then she was mailing the license now she won’t even respond. I took the paper that she gave us to my local DMV and was told we are not even considered legally married – it is not any type of valid legal document!! My family had a reception for us when we got back and everything is printed with this marriage date! Thousands of dollars were wasted on the honeymoon, wedding, reception and all the memorabilia that was printed with the date we had the ceremony at Club Ambiance. I got pregnant right after we got married, and now we are not even married and trying to figure out what to do. At this point, we are just going to go the courthouse to get a legal marriage certificate in the U.S. Club Ambiance ruined our wedding!!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Carbondale, Illinois
Reviewed 23 February 2005

We arrived not expecting Sandals or Breezes but was expecting a nice room. We were there 2/17-2/22/05. In my estimation the food was great, the wait staff were great (especially DeanRoy) and the bar staff were great (especially Faith, Jackie, and Gavin). Mark was great in the recreation department but we soon found he can't keep score at volleyball (just kiddin Mark). However, we had problems with our "deluxe" honeymoon suite from the get go. We had the one on the corner with doors that open all outside. It was great for sleeping, but evryday was a maintenance problem. No water, no hot water, no lights in the rest room. The front desk staff were very, very rude and arrogant. It was like we were doing them a favor by being there. Three times I tried to get change for a $20 and the front desk would send me to the gift shop who in turn sent me to the front desk. A hotel with no change? Jasmine, the excursion "director" was equally extremely rude. She charged us $60 to get a taxi R/T to ocho. We got another one on our own two days later for $40 and the driver stayed with us the whole time. We even bought him lunch and a shirt for his son. She ripped us off! The manager, whose name i never got, has no business working with people. After the 6th day, I was losing my patience when my wife wanted to buy something in the gift shop, but she couldn't because? - you guessed it - no change. I told the front desk I wanted to see the manger. She came back and said I would have to go to him. I said "no, he can come to me". Then I overheard him say "If he wants to see me he can come in here" I walked in and said Here I am. He was no help whatsoever and even called me a liar that we did not have all the maintenace problems I said we did. I found out from onaother guest who the owner was...Alex. Nice guy. He said that he would definately take care of the situation. He sent us a bottle of chmpaign but our vacation was already pretty much ruined. Will we go back? i higly doubt it. The beach is very small, but the sun and entertainment were great. As I said, if you could get rid of the manager, Jasmine, and the rest of the front desk, you would probably have a pretty good time.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2.9 km away
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
54.7 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Club Ambiance? Share your experiences!