“Just Can't Beat The Staff”
Review of Club Ambiance

Club Ambiance
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed 3 March 2005

If you're looking for a great 4 star hotel, then don't go to CA. However, if you just want to have a good time, then you can't beat them for fun and relaxation. I stayed there for the first time February 23rd - 28th. It was not only my first time at CA but also my first time in Jamaica. The staff there made sure that I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The water sports staff were just wonderful. I spent a great deal of time with one of the snorkle instructors, who took the time to work with me through my fear of the ocean. The kyacking was also very good. The food was so so, but I can honestly say that I was never hungry. Now, the problem was in the room. The rooms were very clean and colorful, but the the bathrooms made me scream with fear.

My best advise is to tell you to go and enjoy. I am already planning my next trip. I have made some lasting friends and I can't wait to see them again. Especially one particular employee (no names mentioned).

• Stayed: February 2005
13  Thank sidagirl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,382)

Reviewed 1 March 2005

I will try to give you only facts and you can decide if this is a resort for you.
Small beach, YES all man made as well as the man made lagoon. Nice place to use a floatie and lay out.
Pool was 9' deep and the shallow end was occupied by a volleyball net, no floaties allowed in the pool.
Food was ok at best, example, 2 younger male British armed forces guests were in line, after lifting the chaffing dish lid one turned to the other and said "Have courage mate". The salad bar was pathetic and they DO USE
the day before food for the next day. I had to travel all that way to get a minced hotdog and cheese omlet.
Rooms are ok basic, clean. I have never before had a hand towel made of a cut off bath towel. Nor have I ever had to wait 5 minutes for a bathroom light to go on after dark.
There is no place to go on foot from the resort, well no place I felt safe. No beach to walk.
The drive is about 1 1/4-1 1/2 hrs from Montego Bay.
No beautiful sunsets.
Bar service was ok there are a few good bar tenders.
Entertainment was good in the evening.
Dayside entertainment was fun they do try to involve the guests.
The front desk people were ok to out right rude.
I have stayed on the Negril side before, much nicer. Check out Negril Gardens. We have never stayed there, but, it can't be worse that CA. Sandals own's this resort.

7  Thank doetri
Desoto, Missouri
Reviewed 28 February 2005

Because we were paying for our wedding/honeymoon ourselves, we found a reasonable all-inclusive resort called Club Ambiance. We read all the trip reviews and we were going there with a forgiving attitude. After experiencing a house fire a month before the wedding, we were looking to get away. Club Ambiance was wonderful. There was no problems with our reservation. Honeymoon Suite #3 is the best room in the resort with double doors out to the balcony that overlooks the nightly entertainment area. It could be a little loud in the evenings; I think it cut off at 11 p.m. It didn't keep us awake. The room was very clean and welcoming. The food was awesome and had a great variety every night. The staff (Peter, Wickcliff, Deanroy, Leon, Anthony, plus others) were great. The water pressure wasn't the best, but was workable. The beach is small, but never over crowded. It was a wonderful, small, intimate resort which was exactly what we were looking for. We can't wait to go back. Jim and Angie Wagner

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 February 2005

Just returned from CA, after a 6 night stay. Myself and 3 friends were pleasantly surprised after all the reviews we read. We didn't expect it to be as nice as it was. The rooms were not fancy, but were clean. Our airconditioner worked fine, and the only trouble we had was with the tv, and they brought a new one almost immediately. The food was excellent, and the staff was exceptional. I know you don't have to tip, but I think we probably got better service because we did. If you are looking for fancy, this isn't it. I think the word ambiance is appropriate. We had a great time, and would definitely recommend Club Ambiance.

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kansas
Reviewed 24 February 2005

I read each and every one of these reviews before we went and I was prepared for anything. But I went with the attitude that it would be a great place with lots of fun people to spend time with. And I wasn't disappointed. I spent a week at Club Ambiance Jan. 27-Feb. 3 with a couple of girlfriends. What we wanted out of the week was total relaxation and to be free from the stress of work. Club Ambiance gave us that and more.

I would suggest that before you go you give them a call to verify your reservation. I'd read many reviews that stated when they showed up they didn't have a reservation. Well that happened to us also. Luckily the villa was available, which I was very excited about, as it has its own pool. We shared it with some really fun people from Wisconsin (who also showed up with no reservation in the computer) and it was great, off the beaten path, quiet, we even had our own little beach.

The first full day we were there it rained the entire day. No worries, we just got out our reading material and sat out by the pool! The rest of the vacation was beautiful weather and we made the most of it. We tried to take in all the activities, from the disco to karaoke. The drinks are great and the bartenders even made a couple for us they'd never heard of after we told them the ingredients. We didn't have to wait long for our drinks, and anyone who says they did expects people to come when they snap their fingers.

Although we did tip some, and to our favorite people, we never felt pressured to do so. I'm not sure why some people wrote that they did. Maybe it's the way they treated the staff? These people work extremely hard at what they do, and their main goal is to make the guests happy. I can't complain about anyone that worked there. One night, late, some of us wanted to walk down to the Blue Pearl but it was closed. Gibs, a sweetheart who works at CA, was kind enough to take us across the street to a bar. It's not something I'd suggest you do on your own, and even though I never felt threatened, some of the others were a bit scared. But if you can find a local to take you, it's an experience!

The food was delicious and varied, although by the 4th or 5th day, it was starting to get a bit boring because you start to see repeats. If I was to stay longer than a week at a time, I'd try to eat out some. As it was, we ate every meal there since it was included and we could save our money for other things. The rooms are like everyone says, tidy and clean but nothing fancy. Our bathroom was extremely small and the water pressure was nothing to write home about. But it's a small complaint that gets lost with everything else that's so great about CA.

I loved the fact that the place was so small and quaint. A large resort with 2000 other guests would not have made for the relaxing vacation that I longed for, but just added to the stress factor. From the very first day we arrived, some of the staff were calling us by name. You'd be lucky if anyone even recognized you at Sandals or Beaches. I will say that I found the Europeans to be less than friendly. But the Brits, Canadians and other Americans were great and I wish I could have spent more time with so many that we met. They were a big part of the wonderful experience. The only drawback for me was that I got sick for the last 4 days of my stay, and had to finally go to a local doctor. If that hadn't happened, it would have been one of my favorite vacations to date. I still have super memories of the place, and although I'm not sure I'll go back to Jamaica anytime soon, you can bet if I do I'll be staying at Club Ambiance! Write me if you want to know anything else or see pictures, I'd be happy to help you!

• Stayed: January 2005
2.9 km away
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
54.7 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Club Ambiance? Share your experiences!