“Fabulous snorkeling.”

Ranked #278 of 612 things to do in Puerto Rico
More attraction details
Owner description: Much of the land area on the island of Culebra and the outlying islands is designated as a wildlife reserve, which is designed to protect important seabird colonies and turtle-nesting sites in Puerto Rico.
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We arranged a day in a small boat with a local charter company. The snorkeling is FABULOUS. However, be VERY CAREFUL of the rip current. My husband "saved" me, but the locals just sat on the beach watching. True, they had warned us, and my husband is a MUCH better swimmer than me, so my own fault. Just do be careful. BEAUTIFUL scenery.

4  Thank LindaN22

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Well after getting up at four in the morning, me and my family were excited about going to culebra and enjoying the beauty of the island and camping there as well ..but instead after waiting more than three hours in line to get the ferry tickets they were sold out, what really prompt me to write this review was the inefficiency of the Puertorican port authority, they have a website but does it work No, they also have several phone numbers to call, but did they answer No.I mean I've never been so disappointed in my life of the Puerto Rico does it Better slogan my family was actually in tears when we found out there were no more tickets for the nine o'clock ferry, mind you we've been standing in that line under the sun since six am, after they informed me I was furious and when I complain they said I could catch the three o'clock ferry wich I thought it was ridiculous ,that would of meant that me and my wife and four kids would of waited almost twelve hours to finally get to culebra That's Ridiculous, I'm a native puertorican myself and my wife is American and we've explored every corner of this island and that was last on our bucket list.
Recommendations :
.1Go thru a trip agency that can set up everything.
.2 if that's not an option drive to fajardo days before and make a reservation,believe or not they do have a reservation trailer at the terminal, but they never pick up the phone so I recommend you go there personally
.3 get there by at least 4-5 in the morning if u want to make that 9am ferry on the weekends or summer
.4 if u want to truly enjoy yourself in Puerto Rico AVOID THIS HASSLE AND DON'T EVEN BOTHER GOING TO CULEBRA ALL TOGETHER.

12  Thank luisd2
Reviewed 24 October 2012 via mobile

We went to Culebra with Kayakingpuertorico.com. We have a good time. New ferry take less than an hour from Fajardo.

7  Thank Aidita's C
Reviewed 16 August 2012

WOW Beautfu.... heard about the place. took a cheap like 5 dollars ferry ride and camped ofr 2 nights in the campground literally steps from the ocean. Bring food as there is only a few tiny shops to buy stuff. There is a secret snorkling its a hike over a ridge or 2 on a tiny dirt trail but its is well worth it... basically your all alone on the beach and great pocket reef structure. both places have good coral structure to check out...watch out for unexploded bombs haha signs everywhere

1  Thank ramsoccer2
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I live in Canada, but l'm from Mexico, so l need sun once in a while, l thought about going to the Caribbean since l've been to mexico many times, l chose puerto rico because l heard it was the best place according to facebook and pictures online, l heard about Culebra and the pictures looked fantastic, just what l needed... The reality is totally different, all l wanted was white sand and turquoise water, l only found about a mile of that in Culebra at flamenco beach, crowded and you can't even swim in there, the water current is so strong it's dangerous, we visited other beaches like melones and tamarindo they are quiet because they are full of rocks, the snorkeling is amazing at melones and tamarindo l have to say, but dangerous, first of all the fact that the US army used to bomb culebra for target practices is scary enough, there's a warning at melones beach saying you have to be careful not to remove anything from the floor because of that reason, l just pictured myself flying in 10000 pieces finding a grenade on the floor, then it's super deep withing a few feet from the shore, and the water current is so damn strong there were times where l was swimming and l couldn't move at all. Then after sunset the island was so death locals told me it was dangerous and people do a lot of drugs there no wonder why the ferry had sniffing dogs everywhere, also all business "open sometimes, and some others are closed" the food is bad, l went to a lot of restaurants and it was frozen food defrosted with no seasoning... there's 2 super markets closed to the ferry, lucky if you found them open, it's expensive, I think if you idea is to rest in a tropical beach, go somewhere else, l heard vieques is about the same. And the beaches in San Juan are ugly....

7  Thank asnaka