“Beach”

Ranked #279 of 613 things to do in Puerto Rico
More attraction details
Owner description: Much of the land area on the island of Culebra and the outlying islands is designated as a wildlife reserve, which is designed to protect important seabird colonies and turtle-nesting sites in Puerto Rico.
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I was staying on the mainland and read ratings of this island being the 3rd most beautiful and felt I had to see it. There is no easy way to get there. There is a ferry but you hear horror stories of getting there two hours early to stand in line and then not get on the ferry. We booked on a catamaran tour which was great. It was a snorkel trip and the guys did a great job. 100.00 a person which included equipment, lunch and drinks. The beach itself looked like a million other beaches in the Caribbean though. Very nice - but not jaw dropping (by my standards anyway). What we saw of the island looked nice and I think if we had more than a few hours to explore my review may be different. It may be a place to look into staying for a few days.

4  Thank Brit C

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I have been here twice now, and each time I kick myself for not spending more time here. Too many daytrippers can dilute your experience as well. Trust me, it is one of the most beautiful places on earth, and I have traveled around the world. You want time here, you want to explore. You want to spend time on Flamenco beach, but you want to be there at sunset after the day-trippers are gone. One warning, the water is some of the clearest blue I have ever seen, so wear waterproof sunscreen. Even underwater you will get burnt.

8  Thank Damian D
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We arranged a day in a small boat with a local charter company. The snorkeling is FABULOUS. However, be VERY CAREFUL of the rip current. My husband "saved" me, but the locals just sat on the beach watching. True, they had warned us, and my husband is a MUCH better swimmer than me, so my own fault. Just do be careful. BEAUTIFUL scenery.

4  Thank LindaN22
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Well after getting up at four in the morning, me and my family were excited about going to culebra and enjoying the beauty of the island and camping there as well ..but instead after waiting more than three hours in line to get the ferry tickets they were sold out, what really prompt me to write this review was the inefficiency of the Puertorican port authority, they have a website but does it work No, they also have several phone numbers to call, but did they answer No.I mean I've never been so disappointed in my life of the Puerto Rico does it Better slogan my family was actually in tears when we found out there were no more tickets for the nine o'clock ferry, mind you we've been standing in that line under the sun since six am, after they informed me I was furious and when I complain they said I could catch the three o'clock ferry wich I thought it was ridiculous ,that would of meant that me and my wife and four kids would of waited almost twelve hours to finally get to culebra That's Ridiculous, I'm a native puertorican myself and my wife is American and we've explored every corner of this island and that was last on our bucket list.
Recommendations :
.1Go thru a trip agency that can set up everything.
.2 if that's not an option drive to fajardo days before and make a reservation,believe or not they do have a reservation trailer at the terminal, but they never pick up the phone so I recommend you go there personally
.3 get there by at least 4-5 in the morning if u want to make that 9am ferry on the weekends or summer
.4 if u want to truly enjoy yourself in Puerto Rico AVOID THIS HASSLE AND DON'T EVEN BOTHER GOING TO CULEBRA ALL TOGETHER.

12  Thank luisd2
Reviewed 24 October 2012 via mobile

We went to Culebra with Kayakingpuertorico.com. We have a good time. New ferry take less than an hour from Fajardo.

7  Thank Aidita's C