2,922 results
All reviews wine and cheese tapas restaurant old san juan courtyard restaurant former convent wine reception every evening plunge pool puerto rico open courtyard central courtyard vista room third floor turn down service across the street our honeymoon bottled water
Reviewed 9 October 2018

This hotel is a former convent and built to protect the religious who lived there from sun, storm, and sin. It has a grand courtyard where you can take a drink or coffee. Well-situated in the center of the Old Town, it is a short walk to coast, fortress, and major art museum, as well as shopping, restaurants, and clubs. Room was immaculate, comfortable, and quiet, with shutters and room-darkening drapes and glass partitions for air control. I slept well. Bathroom is fine; gorgeous marble floors may even be historic. Sadly it smelled of cigarette smoke my final night - maybe another guest - but I didn't mention this to management. Hotel lost points for cleanliness due to ground floor ladies' room on day 1.

Room Tip: I stayed on the fifth floor, Bay Side; it was very quiet and had elevator access. It felt secure
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank Sarah I
Reviewed 5 October 2018

Visited Puerto Rico many years ago and always said I would stay here. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and the architecture is pristine. This hotel is considered in the more luxurious level of hotels, I believe 4 stars. Well, it wasn't. I was hoping it would be- but no. The staff was friendly-ish and the room was clean. We arrived on a weekend where they had several weddings booked. When we checked in they announced they had upgraded us to a suite from a Vista Double. Yay! We happily accepted and realized that the suite was street-level with daily garbage pickup and hadn't been rented in a while, since pillows were missing, no iron, closet locked, etc. The hotel had already given our room away, but said they could put us in a Vista Double for the second night. They gave us breakfast vouchers and we decided to stay in the suite. Hey, at least we couldn't smell the garbage and the room was bigger... All-in-all, the visit was ok. The staff caters mostly to native Puerto Ricans and more affluent white folks. We experienced the staff falling over themselves in service efficiency in those cases. They certainly didn't know what to do with 2 professional African American women, who are used to a certain quality of stay. Nothing negative, but the service was hesitant at best, dismissive at worst. They tried, but I'm not on vacation to help with cultural change management. I really wanted it to work out, but at almost $900, for two nights, they don't rate a return visit.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank saishirl
Alfredo A, General Manager at Hotel El Convento, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2018

Dear saishirl -

Please accept my sincere apologies. I am truly sorry that you felt that way.
Thank you so very much for bringing your concerns to our attention. We will certainly share and use your feedback to continue to improve our services. If I may be of assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly at any time.

At your service.

Alfredo Arroyo
aarroyo@elconvento.com

Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

What a magical place! The formidable building with its peaceful courtyard and fanciful tile work was a perfect home base for exploring San Juan. The beds were comfy, the decor tasteful, the staff friendly, and the terrace seats plentiful. Also just like a good host the hotel provided coffee/tea, fruit, bottled water, and evening wine. The kids loved looking for the lizards and courtyard cat. The restaurant was among the best food we had in San Juan. One night there was a wedding which filled the whole place with music but the thick walls muffled the sound enough to sleep. Would happily visit again!

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank K4166ZJjessicas
Reviewed 30 September 2018

I clicked on Tripadvisor's advice Title. San Juan is very open and my wife and i LOVE IT there. We live on the nearby island of St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands. The hotel is a renovated classic; modernized without losing its' old world charm. Right in Old San Juan, you are transported to a different world. I don't want the big casino hotels. 1 nondescript restaurant but only steps and a few blocks away from excellent culinary options!

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms have small outdoor enclosed patio/atrium area
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

I stayed here one night at the end of a cruise. This is one of the most charming hotels I have ever visited. From the moment I walked in to the moment I left, everyone was friendly. I loved my room. I could see the ocean from my bed. I had breakfast and dinner there. Both were yummy. The restaurant staff was the best. I was struggling opening an individual bottle of ketchup. The bartender saw me, and came over to open it. The staff looked for ways to make you happy. I left very early in the morning. The security guard stayed with me while I waited for my ride to the airport. I didn’t feel unsafe at all, but it was nice to have someone wait with me. The area is lovely. Everything is walkable. I am going back and bringing my family.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo