“Rip Off Rates at this Middling Property”

Courtyard San Juan Miramar
Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 11 January 2018

Marooned at the airport, we needed a place to stay for two nights until our rebooked flight to JFK. I showed the ticket agent a list of San Juan hotels and he suggested the Courtyard Marriott in Miramar. A mistake. The front desk staff was surly when we checked in at 10 pm. The door to the room didn't open all the way because it hit the protruding wall next to it. The room was small and the bathroom really cramped with a miniature sized toilet and sink. There was no exhaust fan for the steam from the shower. The beds were reasonably comfortable but we woke up scratching our privates from the bug bites. The TV and Wifi worked but the latter was slow. The only saving grace was the location and the restaurant with decent food and a friendly waitstaff. Otherwise, at close to $300/night with few or no amenities this place is a total rip-off and no one really cares.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
CYGMSJUMR, General Manager at Courtyard San Juan Miramar, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2018

Buenas tardes Brother B,

I am completely shocked at your review. We take very seriously any guest claim, especially when its regards bites. Please note that I immediately checked our guest incident reports, but found none in reference to this. For this reason, I would request for you to contact me via mobile (787) 340-4757. We would need your reservation information to activate the protocol, and have our pest control company inspect the room. Also, saying nobody cares about your experience at the hotel is totally mistaken. Here at the Courtyard Marriott Miramar we take great pride in fulfilling our guests’ expectations with our superior customer service. Your complaints about the front desk staff, housekeeping issues will be fully noted and discussed further with the proper department heads. Regarding the price, this property actually has the most modest and reasonable prices out of all of the major hotels within the area. I will be expecting your call to discuss this further.

Johanna Garay- Ojeda
j.garay@courtyard.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,010)

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

My family spent one night at the hotel prior to our cruise out of San Juan. The hotel looks nicer inside than out. The lobby is fairly small and there's only one small elevator. Our room had a king-size bed which was comfortable, a sleeper sofa and a desk. The bathroom was quite small and the door stuck. We had to set the air conditioner quite low to keep the room comfortable as the thermostat was below the vent, so it would shut off before the rest of the room was cool enough.

The neighborhood it's kind of mixed. There are plenty of good restaurants within a block or two. Two of my party had breakfast in the restaurant downstairs and were very pleased.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank LiebeTravel
Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel during a three week business trip, and it suited my needs well. This Courtyard is a cut above a basic place and a cut below luxury. I found the staff attentive without being intrusive.

While there is no free breakfast, the hotel puts out a large pot of good, strong coffee. There is a small “kiosk” from which guests can purchase snacks, pop, juice and iced tea. The WiFi is free. The rooms have small safes and refrigerators.

The parking is by valet, and that’s a good thing given how hard it is to find parking in San Juan. Taxis line up in front of the hotel. If using Uber, the driver will insist on pick-up a block away so as not to irritate the taxis.

Two nice features: 1. There are coin-operated washing machines and dryers, a godsend on a long business trip. 2. There is an ATM in the lobby.

The hotel has a small pool which is mostly in the shade. It’s more for dipping than swimming. It was a pleasant place to sit and read.

While this hotel is not far from the cruise ship port, there are hotels closer to it with mainland chain restaurants situated among them.

The Comedor restaurant inside the hotel offers surprisingly good and creative dishes. It’s not cheap, but it’s far from breaking the bank. There are quite a few local restaurants nearby on Avenida Prince de Leon, with different cuisines and price points. I felt safe going to them but wouldn’t want to walk solo after 9pm. Also located on this Avenida are a supermarket and drug store.

Just before a cruise ship departs, the hotel gets quite full. Happily, these peaks don’t last long, and the hotel staff is accustomed to handling them.

I’d stay at this hotel again, if business were to bring me to San Juan.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Inkfisch
Reviewed 1 January 2018

Stayed Dec. 16, 2017 prior to a cruise. Hotel is bustling with activity. Restaurant great and located inside hotel. Rooms nice and clean. Hotel is a little old, but so is the area. Easy taxi from airport ($25) to Old San Juan, and Cruise Terminal. Traffic on Saturday was awful - 5 cruise ships, and Feliz Navidad celebrations in San Juan. Dancing in the street, live music, festival atmosphere. Courtyard is located in a safe and clean location. Some evidence of hurricane still visible around Puerto Rico and will take time to repair, but many areas open for business. Don't hesitate to visit!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank KWeb2016
Reviewed 25 December 2017

I paid about $325 for one night here after my cruise and before my flight. At this price point I have come to expect a lot more. The lobby is fairly nice, front desk staff are friendly and speak English well (although I enjoyed practicing my limited Spanish with them!) and they got me into a room well before check-in, which was nice since we were forced to get off the cruise ship so early in the morning with all our luggage and wanted to settle in so we could go sightseeing as soon as possible. Our room was very, very large which was a big plus, and included a fridge, tv, desk for doing office work, comfortable bed, and couch that was worn-in and uncomfortable. We were on the top floor with a decent view but the window needed cleaning. It wasn't as modern as other Courtyard Marriotts we have stayed at. The location is a $15 taxi ride away from the main tourist attractions, but the neighborhood felt safe. I was extremely disappointed when I asked about the Marriott Rewards Gold free breakfast and was told this hotel is "independent" and does not participate in offering tier rewards. I was invited to pay for breakfast instead and given my objection to this (on principle) I walked 2 blocks to Subway instead. The pool is very disappointing. It is tiny and ice-cold. I actually like cooler water pools and can take colder water more than most of the people I know and I could barely take the water in there. The patio furniture is nice but there is a very tacky "beach scene" decor on the wall of the hotel by the pool. Worst of all though it is right next to a very, very noisy restaurant, and restaurant patrons kept staring out at the pool area through the door to the pool (I think they were in line at the restroom.) They should put a curtain up on the pool door window for more privacy, and soundproof the restaurant. The pool ladder was a bit difficult to use also. The biggest drawback of the hotel however was the very high price - I would have rated it one star higher if the cost had been more reasonable. This is not the very modern hotel with great amenities I have come to expect at this price point. I will probably not stay here again unless either there is no viable alternative or the price is greatly reduced on the next night I need to stay.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
CYGMSJUMR, General Manager at Courtyard San Juan Miramar, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2017

Dear Heather L,

I am thankful you took time to write a review about your experience at the property. Guests like you make us feel proud of the positive experiences our hotel offered. It also keeps us aware of other areas we need to perfect. I am elated you found the early check in, staff and room size to your delight. Regarding the free breakfast, I'm afraid to inform you that the Courtyard brand of Marriott does not offer free breakfast for elite members. This is pretty universal across all Courtyard brands in the United States. I am sorry and I apologize this was an inconvenience for you. The disapproval and disturbances that you encountered at the pool will be heavily consulted with the engineering department and the restaurant manager. I am confident these issues can be addressed and easily resolved. The Courtyard Marriott Miramar hotel is extremely grateful that you chose to stay with us. I am positive we can make your next stay more memorable. If your travels bring you back to Puerto Rico please feel free to contact me ahead of your stay. I am self-assured that we can offer you a more affordable price with a breakfast package included and the same genuine friendly front desk customer service you experienced on your first stay. Until next time!!

Sincerly,