All reviews honor bar tamarind tree casita linda honor system caribbean deluxe beach chairs every morning bio bay breakfast was included jeep rental ice machine thought of everything bed and breakfast esperanza riding company laid back view of the ocean ceiling fan
Reviewed 3 June 2006

We stayed 3 nights at the Hacienda Tamarindo and found it nearly
impossible to leave this lovely place. From check-in to check-out,
everything was just right. The staff is friendly and helpful, the Hacienda
pets are awesome (hello, Barkley!), the setting couldn't be more tranquil
and beautiful.

We had a 2-room suite for my husband and I and my mother-in-law
and it worked out perfectly. The main bedroom of the suite is amazing,
with a high ceiling and a view over the grounds and lovely pool.

Breakfasts are fantastic -- more than enough to see you through
lunchtime, but the staff can also make you picnic lunches to take
along to the beach.

Vieques itself is very quiet, undeveloped (so far) -- no chain restaurants,
no El Wal-Mart, no nightclubs. Please don't go to Vieques if you are
going to complain about the lack of "things to do"! The beaches are
glorious, the people are wonderful, the food is delicious -- it is just
a kick-back and really relax place. Do not miss the Bio Bay tour
under any circumstances -- go with Island Adventures, right next
to Hacienda Tamarindo and you will have one of the most magical
adventures of your life.

6  Thank Navigator2747
Reviewed 28 May 2006

We (my husband, his granddaughter and her mother) chose Hacienda Tamarindo and stayed in a 2-room suite. The property is beautiful with gorgeous views of the Caribbean. Our room was one of the few featured on the website, though the décor has been updated considerably, and it was quite comfortable, composed of a king-size bedroom with two very nice armoires, a sitting room with two twin-size daybeds, and a bathroom connecting the two. Only the main bedroom had a/c, but the staff thoughtfully provided a floor fan, which, combined with the ceiling fan, cooled the sitting room sufficiently for sleeping. Unfortunately, our room was adjacent to the kitchen and breakfast area, and since the door to the room was a louvered door, quite a bit of noise filtered through in the mornings. Though to be fair, it didn’t seem as loud as the roosters outdoors, and my husband and I didn’t hear it at all in our bedroom—it was just the sitting room that was affected.

After getting off to a shaky start with a certain staff member (she actually told me that she had received an email I sent the day before departure but didn’t bother to read or respond to it since I would be there the next day! The email was a request for 4 packed lunches since we would arrive mid-afternoon and might be too tired to drive someplace to get a late lunch.), we very quickly warmed to the place. We were all charmed by Barkley, the resident Old English Sheepdog, and Shaboo, the brightly colored parrot. Not to mention the staff, including the aforementioned woman, who were all a delight. The pool area was a real oasis, with a shaded pergola and chaises at one end and a vista overlooking the green hills rolling down to the Caribbean at the other. There were two hammocks strung in shaded areas beside the pool, a water fountain incorporated into the pool that muffled voices very effectively, and two small bench-like alcoves set into the deep end of the pool that were perfect for sitting and reading so that one’s bottom half was submerged while one’s torso was above the waterline.

One thing I really liked about the property was that there seemed to be plenty of private spaces, both sunny and shaded, for tete-a-tetes. Some overlooked the pool, others faced out over the gardens or had views of the Caribbean, but all were nicely situated for privacy. Romantic couples would definitely have no problem finding a space for just themselves. Another thing I really liked were the decorative touches here and there, unexpected little pieces, ranging from an antique wheelchair parked in a corner, to a tiled fountain at the entrance, to a Janus-head hanging up near the breakfast area. The honor bar was also very handy to have around, as we could just make our own drinks and record them in a notebook—however, I would have enjoyed having a blender there to make frozen drinks, and there was no ice cream in the freezer as described on the website. There was also a small air-conditioned sitting room with a lending library, decent selection of board games, and a computer with high-speed access for guest use.

Breakfast is included in the room price at HacTam, so we ate there every morning before heading out. The menu consists of toast, various kinds of eggs, fruit, a choice of meat, hot or cold cereals, various juices, and a daily special. I’m trying to lose a bit of weight, so I opted for fruit and cold cereals until our last day when the special was French toast stuffed with cream cheese and guava—tell me, dear reader, what would YOU have ordered? I simply had to do it, and it was delicious. I sampled the others' omelets, eggs Benedict, and spicy hash browns and they were all very good.

HacTam is just a short walk away from the Inn on the Blue Horizon, which is where we went to eat upon arrival. The email that I had sent requesting lunches on the first day was ignored, so we were grateful to have a place we could grab lunch without having to sort through the rental car process first. We did order the lunches for the next day, which were a disappointment, I'm sorry to say. Three out of the four sandwiches were made incorrectly, and the bread was stale on all of them. Still, we were happy to have them to snack on whilst out exploring the deserted beaches with no facilities--and the fruit and the packaged chips and cookies were all just fine. It's a great concept they have going with the cooler backpack, but based on our one experience with it, it could stand some more attention to detail.

All in all, we were extremely pleased with the HacTam. It has a wonderful charm that, if you let it, will ease into your body and mind and embrace you with its serenity. My husband and I will definitely return, and his daughter made a reservation for a stay later this summer before we departed. Despite the small setbacks upon our arrival, I would still rate our experience with 5 stars (or circles, as they use here on TripAdvisor).

8  Thank ejcrowe
Reviewed 19 May 2006

The Hacienda Tamarindo was perfect for a romantic, quiet get away. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast under the Tamarind tree was delicious and the view out to the ocean was relaxing. We had the pool to our selves most of the time and the property had hammocks and lawn chairs. Request a packed lunch for the beach and enjoy your stay!!!

7  Thank tlcall01
Reviewed 14 May 2006

My husband and I wanted to get away for a few days before a conference in San Juan. Getting to Vieques on the new high speed ferry from Old San Juan was simple. The people at the Hacienda Tamarindo were extremely helpful in arranging for a rental car (a must to get around to beaches, restaurants) and a trip to the Bioluminescent Bay. The Hacienda is beautiful and well maintained. Our room had a private balcony looking out over the fields to the ocean. The pool is lovely. The breakfast was excellent. One of the best deals on the whole island is the "box lunch" offered by the hotel. For $8.50 they pack up a sandwich, fruit, chips and cookie in a backpack cooler. Add some drinks to the cooler in each room and it is easy to spend the day at any beach. The hotel provides beach towels and chairs for guests to take with them for the day. Vieques has beautiful beaches, wild horses, and lots of birds. The Bioluminescent Bay is a once in a lifetime opportunity. There is virtually no shopping and only a couple of dozen restaurants on the whole island. It is a place to go to relax and leave behind the bustle of the city. We would definitely go again to the Hacienda Tamarindo.

• Stayed: April 2006
7  Thank Extraordinary33888
Reviewed 23 March 2006

We had a great stay at Hacienda Tamarindo. It is a lovely setting, and the location is both quiet and close to the sea (a rare combination). The hacienda and grounds were clean, well-tended, and charming; the staff was friendly and helpful; the food for breakfast and boxed lunch was very tasty. I spent some time looking at Tamarindo's website before our trip, wondering how the real thing would compare. I must say, in real life it's even nicer.

Being kind of new to the guest house concept, I was surprised at how close some rooms were to the common areas (our room opened to the front lobby), but really the only noise we heard came from the sea. Not too bad, huh?

We would happily stay at Tamarindo again. The Crow's Nest looked like another rewarding spot. Although it isn't close to the sea, it has two of the island's best restaurants on-site, which is a big advantage. It's also located in between Esperanza and Isabel II which is nice.

• Stayed: March 2006