“Windjammer Landing - Beware”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed 26 April 2010

In summary extremely poor value for money although we did enjoy ourselves by making the most of it.

I spent a lot of time researching and reading reviews before I chose Windjammer Landing and the vast majority were positive although there were some negative comments. In retrospect I should have paid more attention to those negative comments. This was the most expensive camping holiday we've had. Read on.....

To put this review into context we've stayed at many 4 & 5 star resorts around the world from Maldives to Egypt and from Australia to Portugal and Dubai. We therefore had certain expectations with this baseline in mind.

So here is the meat of it.........

We booked a 2 Bedroom villa with plunge pool and went all inclusive for 14 days. Family with a 5 year old.

Check-in
In short - be prepared. We decided to take the Helicopter transfer from the International Airport to Castries. Well worth it. Good to see the Island from a different perspective. However, upon arrival we had to wait 2 hours for our villa to be made available. Point to note here is that using the heli transfer luggage is sent separately and in our case arrived 3 hours later. We were prepared for this and had a change of clothes for the pool and plenty of sun block so we could start our holiday while staff readied the villa and luggage arrived.

Accommodation
The villa allocated to us was very tired and dated - in fact quite nasty and dirty. I would say 2 star accommodation. The villa layout also didn't work for us because the bedrooms were on different levels. We requested another villa and they moved us 2 hours later to a much better villa with bedrooms on the same level. Much, much, much better.

We were aware of the open living concept beforehand and prepared for this. Mosquito's love me. I think it's the alcohol in my blood or is it the blood in my alcohol? plus I didn't want to smell like a lemon for 14 days (mosquito repellent) so we took some extra precautions.

The island currently (April 2010) has a serious problem with mosquito's. We saw one family that were completely ravaged by them. I thought they all had prickly heat as they were all completely covered in spots until my wife asked and was told they were mosquito bites. Good job they weren't allergic to mosquitoes otherwise they would all have had anaphylactic shock. This justified my preps for mosquito's.

Outdoor mosquito repellent
I bought Lifesystems Mosquito Smoke Coils - Green, £2.99 from Amazon. Well worth it as it kept them at bay in the open living area first thing in the morning as we lounged by the plunge pool and drunk coffee. These worked really well. It meant you didn't need to lemon-up first thing in the morning.

Indoor plug-in mosquito liquid repellent - Lifesystems Plug in Dual Mosquito Killer Unit, £6.99
These were useless. They might work in a closed environment but every night fresh hungry mosquito's arrived in the bedrooms for dinner.

Pop-up mosquito nets - Pop-up Premier Mosinet Mosquito Net - Double, £41.99
These were brilliant. Without these we would have had to lemon-up for sleep. At first we tried the existing mosquito nets but they were useless. Note: Some villas do not have any mosquito nets. We found that the ones that do are useless anyway. Good job we brought our own.

Spray-on mosquito repellent - Ben's 30 with 30% Deet
Excellent for the evenings. Works for 6 hours.

The en-suite bathrooms are "open" and that means mosquito's have access to the bedrooms. Using a Do Not Disturb sign was simply ignored by them!

Restaurants
Embers - on the beach. Basically fast beach food (nothing is fast in the Caribbean - you just need to understand "Island time"). Not bad for a quick snack but that's about it.
Upper Deck - Seafood. Disappointing. They should keep it simple. Avoid western oriented dishes and stick to local island dishes.
Papa Dons - Italian. They try to hard to be a good Italian restaurant. Some dishes were not bad but overall an average Italian.
Dragonfly - Asian. Here they try to be a little more up-market but fail.
Jammers Beach - Simple gastro/bistro pub food. Again sticking to local island dishes worked best for us.

What you will see is that all restaurants seem to offer the same dishes with a different twist. If you enjoy fine dining you won't enjoy the food at Windjammer Landing. I would rate the food as gastro/bistro pub at best.

Service in all restaurants is consistently slow to very slow. You do get the occasional experienced waiter/waitress but again expect to experience island time. Not a problem for us. Simply get your drinks in first then sit back and relax and see if you can spot a flag waving lemon.

Pools and beach
Service is close to non-existent. Don't wait - just get up and get it yourself. They use a "flag" system on the beach whereby your supposed to wave this flag on a pole. Tried that but it didn't work. I spent 15 minutes looking like a lemon (but not smelling like one thanks to my mosquito preps) waving around a flag and the only thing that happened was that it attracted the attention of the security guards thinking I was a sun bather in distress ;-). Just kidding. In summary the beach was pleasant not spectacular. Not bad quality yellow sand dark in places (volcanic) but only one section where you can swim due to either rocks or Sea Urchins.

Close to the beach are two swimming pools with one for small children. The children's pool is in full sun all day so be warned - plenty of sun block and hats for the kids. No slides at the pool for the kids just pool and water. Water quality not the best in both pools. There are other pools up the hill next to Papa Dons restaurant but we didn't use them.

Entertainment
The only entertainment was a live band at the Jammers Beach bar/restaurant every night (same songs every night - great for a sing-a-long ;-) and a steel band every Friday night at the Embers restaurant BBQ. Oh - and me waving my flag on the beach.

Transportation
Given the layout of the resort with villas some way up the hill they use a shuttle service to ferry guests to and from the villas. Mostly it's walkable if your fit but on humid days we used the shuttle service. Dated mini-vans are used and the service quality is patchy. Some days one would arrive within 5 mins other days you can be left hanging around for 20 minutes waiting.

Staff
Around 60% of the staff are unhelpful and rarely smile. This shortcoming is made up for slightly by a small minority of very helpful friendly and genuinely sincere staff members.

Electricity
Although the Island is wired 240v with UK BSI 3 pin plugs this is not the case for Windjammer Landing where it's based on the US system 110v and 2 flat pins.

Kids Club
Although we never used it the staff were very friendly and good with kids.

In closing I was very surprised to meet families that have been going to Windjammer Landing for years!!! I guess if you don't know any different or been anywhere different you can only assume Windjammer Landing is paradise. I find that odd. We never go to the same place twice. The world is too big for that.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Compasss
ChrisZakrajsek, Owner at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2010

"This was the most expensive camping holiday we've had." Wow! This is not what we're about at Windjammer Landing. I'm really sorry your experience was so bad. We are working on upgrading some of the villas and our restaurant offerings and improving operational efficiency throughout the resort.

Again, I'm sorry. We obviously didn't live up to our own standards -much less yours.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,766)

Reviewed 26 April 2010

The Windjammer is an excellent pick for a family with kids of all ages. We stayed in a 1 bedroom, open air suite and thought the $199 / night price with $50 / day credit toward food & excursions was a great value. We enjoyed our view of the water during the day and the ability to close off the bedroom for air conditioning during the night, which is key to mosquito control. (If you don't want your kid sleeping with you, better get them another bedroom or don't go with the open air concept.)

The resort facilitates lots of activities. Complementary snorkel trips at 11 & 2, banana raft rides behind a boat at 3 and pool volleyball at 4, etc. Kayaks, windsurfers, a swim area with trampoline & slide plus no problem snorkeling outside of the roped swim area. We thought dinner at all the resort restaurants was good, although the menus are all very similar. We spoke to several folks that ventured out to the "top" restaurants and their reviews were tempered, so the resort food seems to be on par. We made due for breakfast with food from the minimart (cereal, milk, yogurt, bread, cheese) and snacks and leftovers for lunch. Minimart food prices were generally reasonable - except select items (e.g., the salami).

Excursions: 1) As others have indicated, the Jammers Day Sail was the best excursion. Although the "drive in" volcano and coffee bean plantation are part of the deal, it is really the sail and the snorkeling in the Marine Reserve that made the day for us. 2) Our 12 yr old loved the zip lining in the Dennery Rainforest (bring a bandana or baseball cap for your head or you will have to wear their apparently-used and not so photogenic hair nets), but the long drive to the rainforest may ruin it if you get motion sick (lots of winding roads up and down hills for 1+ hour - plus you are the 1st to get picked up and last to be dropped off, due to the route - total time is 10:20 - 2:30 for 1.5 hr of zip lining). 3) We also signed up for the Snuba. Our guide Judy was very nice and knowledgeable but it would be hard for us to recommend this. Four people are connected to one floating tank and are supposed to follow the guide at 0-20 feet under. Visibility was poor on our day, making it impossible to follow the guide or see very much and caused our lines to tangle. Even if visibility had been good, I doubt we would have seen anything that could not be seen from simply snorkeling. Pigeon Island is a great destination, but the Snuba trip is not the best way to enjoy it. We recommend taking a land or water taxi - then you can hike, snorkel and have lunch at your leisure (there is a small restaurant with good local cuisine). 4) Our 4th "excursion" was to snorkel at the Marine Park. We missed the boat that takes the scuba group, so the guy at the dive shop called his friend Quincy, who agreed to take us down the coast to the Marine Park for $200 for essentially 1/2 the day (10 - 2:30). Quincy came with friend Mozart and they gave us a great trip down the coast. As with all of our drivers / tour guides, they were very knowledgeable and friendly. We had brought our own snorkel equipment, but 1 mask broke and Quincy had an extra on hand. This was a great day. A cab on land to Soufriere (just past the Marine Park) was quoted at $160 RT, so we thought $200 for the boat ride was a great value (especially since gas is $5 gallon)! Rule the Tide Water Taxi is the name and [--] was the contact number.

As others have indicated, the billing at Windjammer is a challenge. You must pay the balance of your room charge upon arrival. After that, we charged only dinners to our room and we asked for a copy of every receipt (for some reason, they insist on keeping both copies, so you have to ask for a print-out) to keep track of our room charges. You may want to request a copy of your bill the night before you check out so you can reconcile. The $200 "towel" charge was removed from our bill without discussion, as was the $265 "safe & cell phone" deposit. Everything else was in order and I was very happy we had copies of every receipt charged to the room!

The last thing I will add is that, while the coastline, the mountains, the rainforest and resort are beautiful, we were surprised at the widespread and apparent poverty. There is a great deal of housing that is haphazard concrete block construction with corrugated tin roofs with a few nice houses (with bars on the windows) sprinkled throughout. Litter control is a problem. Zoning is haphazard. It would be very difficult to avoid a view of this during any drive betweeb two points. For us it interrupted the illusion of paradise created by the marketing brochures and it takes away from the island charm. Since we have not recently traveled to other tropical destinations, we cannot provide a comparison to other islands, but have heard that this is not unique to St. Lucia. The people were very nice to us and they also made it clear they need our tourist $$.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
ChrisZakrajsek, Owner at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2010

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you had a great time snorkeling with Quincy and exploring the island!

Reviewed 25 April 2010

We stayed at the Windjammer Villa Beach Resort on St Lucia the second week in April. We exchanged a timeshare with RCI points. There are only 2-3 timeshares on the island, so availability is limited. We read the reviews before hand, did some research and thought we were prepared. We even brought along mosquito repellent.
There are two airports on the island. We flew into the largest airport, Hewannorra UVF on the southern end of the island on American Airlines from Miami and were treated very well. We reserved transportation from the airport through the resort and were met as expected with a cold bottle of water each. The ride to the resort from the airport took about 1½-hour. The cost was $85 US one way. The currency conversion is 2.65 East Caribbean $/US $. The driver of the Toyota minivan was friendly and helpful. He even stopped near Dennery Bay for photo taking. Everyone drives on the left side on the island and the trip was along small winding and sometimes rough roads. We should have asked the driver to stop for groceries along the way to save some money on eating. The island is very poor. We arrived at the WJ resort, which is in secluded Labrellotte Bay just north of Castries, and were given rum punch and cold towels for our faces and hands. We were given a totally enclosed air-conditioned one-bedroom villa with a plunge pool. The villa had a king-size bed with bath, full kitchen, living room and deck. TVs were in the living room and the bedroom. Robes were supplied during our stay and the villa was cleaned each day. New bath amenities were provided daily. The villa was on a hillside reached by resort shuttles, which you had to call front desk for. Only had to wait a few minutes unless during busy check-in times. The view was superb. Other resort guests were not as fortunate and checked into open-air units. Mosquitoes bit many of these guests.
There were five restaurants; one served breakfast, two-served lunch at the beach and three served dinners by reservation. The food was very expensive with an 18% tax. Tips were optional. All charges were put onto our room bill. We opted for three consecutive days of all-inclusive charges for ~ $729 US for both of us. We ate lightly for breakfast and lunch most days. We brought some cereal and snacks with us. Our phone calling card did not work as well as our cell phones to the US. We bought an Internet card but the Internet machine did not work over half the time. We placed a call using a credit card from the villa and were charged ~ $50 per call to the US. Bring your own laptop since Internet was in the villa. We were also charged a utility fee of $180 US for the week. We asked the front desk to print our bill halfway through the week to see where we stood. The staff was very friendly and willing to help.
We agreed to a timeshare presentation and were not pressured at all to buy anything. We received credit for a full day tour on a catamaran with an open bar, which was a great way to see the island, shoreline, a volcano, waterfall and cocoa plantation. We had lunch at the plantation and went snorkeling on the way back. We also saw flying fish. Cost was $100 US/person. There are many other tours to chose from. The beach was well maintained with water sports included at no cost. We brought our own snorkeling gear and went at the resort.
We went to the Market at Castries to shop. The cost for a taxi was $20 US each way. Taxi to Rodney Bay was $25 round trip.
All in all, the villa and resort was beautiful, well maintained and relaxing. The staff was friendly and helpful. Food was average but very expensive. We enjoyed ourselves but probably would not return.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank swexplorers
ChrisZakrajsek, Owner at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2010

Wow! Those hidden costs can really ruin a holiday, can't they? I'm going to look into all of these surcharges and see what is going on.

Thank you for your candor. I really appreciate it.

Reviewed 24 April 2010

I agree with what most people said in these reviews. The location is far from the UVF airport (1.5 hrs). The resort layout is unique with its hillside villas, so that's cool. Service is definitely not 4 stars, its 3 stars at best. The staffs are friendly enough. The food is average, it's better than a 3 stars all-inclusive but definitely not 4 stars. Restaurants are expensive! We saved money by buying groceries at the on site mini mart and made breakfast for 3 days in our villa. You can feed 4 for the price of one breakfast!

I went with my husband and two friends during mid April. My husband knows two coworkers that own different timeshares here and having been going here for years so we had high expectation of the place. We almost booked this place for our honeymoon last year but decided to visit Maui instead (good thing!).

We booked the trip last minute and without much research. After we booked then I read the mosquito problems with the open villa and I was really concerned! I went out and bought 5 different types of bug repellents! I even emailed the resort to request an enclosed room because I'm highly allergic to bug bites. Unfortunately no one responded. For that reason I was half excited and half concerned when departing for this trip.

Fortunately when we got to the resort we got upgraded to an enclosed one bedroom villa with a plunge pool (without asking for it). My friends got an enclosed villa with no pool but their terrace door has no glass on it so the bugs can still get inside! They were also on the other side of the resort so makes it very inconvenient for us to hang out. We asked if they can upgrade my friends and move them close to us. They actually upgraded them to a jacuzzi enclosed villa right next to us so that was very nice! I have a theory... I think they upgrade my room because they want us (a married couple) to buy a timeshare (our villas are timeshare villas). They bugged us about timeshares at last 3 times throughout the trip but left my friends alone.

Lunch at Embers and Jammers were good, the pizza can definitely feed 2 and very thin crust. The fish sandwich and salt fish bake are both good! Papa Don for dinner is good, I had their tuna and my husband had the seafood pasta. Both not bad. We only had breakfast at Dragonfly and it was expensive, not much less than our dinner in Jammers! We also had dinner one night at Big Chef in Rodney Bay. It's a bit pricey but the food is good. The steak are very good, their mahi mahi was only ok because of the weird sauce they used.

Overall we had a great time because the island is beautiful and lush, people seems friendly, the resort is pretty and we lowered our expectations, upgraded to an enclosed villa, and we relax at the beach/pool every day without running around for excursions. But I did hear the Jammers Day Trip is nice.

If you visit Windjammer, don't expect a 4 stars hotel with 4 stars food/service! This resort looks like a 4 star but with 3 stars service and food, or 3.5 stars. Bring lots of bug sprays and MAKE SURE you get a enclosed room. We saw some people with leg full of bug bites, it was horrible! Also save money by buying eggs, bacon, breads, juice at the mini mart or Super J grocery store and make your own breakfast! You can buy your own alcohol too!

I would consider going back to Windjammer IF AND ONLY IF I am guaranteed a enclosed villa with pool, it really makes a world of difference experience in this resort.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank sleepymish

Thanks for your review. Yes, the mosquitoes are quite bothersome and we are looking into earth (and human) friendly means of dealing with them. Also, you should be happy to note that we are in the process of glassing in more villas so in the next few months we will have a more abundant inventory of enclosed villas for our guests. However, there is no excuse about being bothered by the Timeshare people. We'll look into that, immediately.

Again, thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback.

Reviewed 24 April 2010

Based on Windjammer's website depiction we thought it would be perfect to host our wedding. But once we arrived to the resort, our stomach's turned.

Standing in the lobby we noticed this was a COMMERCIALIZED FAMILY TIMESHARE RESORT. Not what I imagined - for our wedding. Chaotic lobby & front desk. Screeching kids, guests waiting for the famous shuttle, water aerobics within earshot, 90's clubby music. This would be great if we were in our partying 20's, but this was supposed to be a monumental romantic trip.

Deficiency at the front desk set the tone for the experience; 40 mins to check-in - we were the only guests at the counter. some front desk staff will downright look away - obviously rude and selfish. We previously stayed in a different resort (southern St Lucia) and received a much different, personable greeting.

Worst yet, a hotel employee escorted another guest to our room and walked in on us! And even after the clarification, we were locked out of our room on our wedding day b/c they never fixed their mistake. After our ceremony I stood in the rain w/ my bridesmaids while my groom ran to the front desk to speak w/ them AGAIN. Pathetic service especially for the amount we paid to stay here.

It was just bizarre - one issue after another. One morning our group had to rush and almost missed the zipline tour (the main reason we picked St Lucia, btw) due to misinformation the staff gave us. I kept apologizing to the taxi driver; we were all late b/c of the WJL staff cluster. What a way to start a fun tour...everyone being stressed out due to rushing and frustration.

The Hibiscus Suite: Nice and modern but for the price ($400/night) you can find a more charming bungalow in a different resort w/ better service included. Its also smaller than the website shows. These "condo" units are also so close to the restaurant/bar that you can hear the music & kids playing in the main pool from the balcony - not romantic or peaceful. Sadly we were stuck there b/c we already paid & had an event planned. There's nothing worse than a feeling of being stuck - anywhere. At one point I cried - this is just NOT what I imagined for my wedding.

The Anthrium Lily Premium Suites: Our guests stayed here. These are more charming in design & are farther away from the "action", which is good. But my guests had their own set of problems. I felt responsible b/c I'm the one who picked this place! Their rooms leaked, issues at the spa, extra charges on their bill, etc.

Our saving grace was when we switched our wedding reception to the quaint "Rainforest Hideaway Restaurant"; it was the BEST decision we could have made. Funny thing, (but not funny ha-ha), every time we left the Windjammer compound is when we were able to relax.

Prior to booking I read negative reviews, but I assumed the negative reviews must be from snobby vacationers who are hard to please. Turns out they were accurate! I'll give kudos to the wedding coordinators, maintenance staff, shuttle drivers, Smarty, and housekeeping - stellar performers! And one manager was kind and tried to help. But we were so ready to leave already.

Bottom line: This is a timeshare property therefore maintains a busy and loud atmosphere to keep families happy. Don't be fooled by the pretty pictures. Unless you buy a timeshare you might feel like just a number. If this is good for you then it will be a perfect choice. If you want a mature and tranquil experience from ALL parts of a resort, then pick a different resort. My suggestion is southern St Lucia - beautiful earth with sweet people.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nittanyliones

All I can say is 'Sorry'. And I know that won't make up for the stress and anxiety that you experienced during your wedding. Trust me when I say that your review has created quite a stir and we are working to ensure that this won't happen again.

I wish you all the best on your travels and marriage!
Chris Z.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
2.7 km away
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate
11.7 km away
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!