“Food was good but the owners and employees were extraordinary!!!”

The Boathouse Restaurant
Ranked #66 of 118 Restaurants in Simpson Bay
Price range: US$17 - US$30
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 11 July 2017

TJ (Tjandra) and Pria were our bartenders and made the initial experience of this restaurant one to remember. Then we had the pleasure of meeting Jimmy (the grill cook), Cleo (owner), and Richard (other owner). We had the most amazing time with them all and felt like part of the crew. We had to come back a second day and had the pleasure of meeting Dorian who was just as personable as TJ and Pria. This is a must visit location. The grilled food was really good so was the grilled tofu. I cannot speak to the other food as we enjoyed the atmosphere, people, and beverages. This place became dangerous as we knew our night would begin and end here if we showed up and that is not a bad thing!

You have to go and visit, make sure Richard is wearing his New Era hat and ask them how they got a hat with someone's face on it behind the bar.

Cleopatra D, General Manager at The Boathouse Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2017

Thank you for the awesome review James, very much appreciated. Can't wait for you guys to come back again and visit - so much fun!!!

Reviewed 23 May 2017

We have always made it a point to eTc at the Boathouse when in St. Martin. We went there last week for the first time in 6 years. We had a good dinner and the waiter was very friendly and helpful. Discovered later that there was a 20 percent "tax" added. I thought wow, the island has added a tax of that amount? Still tipped him. What fools we were. There's no tax, at least not on the Dutch side.
Now I can see why there was only one other table with people there. We won't go there again, and expect that will be one restaurant added to the list of closed restaurants soon.

LoanLady, good evening. I am so sorry to hear about this. What size was your table, chances are if indeed it is a party of 6 or more the Service Charge would be added to the bill, however IF the Service Charge was added this would need to be disclosed to you. If I may ask, what was the size of your group?

Please confirm. Also... can you describe your waiter please at this needs to be brought to "his" attention.

Management

Reviewed 18 May 2017

Food, service............were terrible. We actually talked after the waiter left our table, wonder if he was inadvertently trying to talk us out of eating there. Wish we had followed our sixth sense and moved on. Waste of money and time!

Cleopatra D, General Manager at The Boathouse Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2017

Hello Ray S,

I am very disheartened to hear about your experience at The Boathouse; I recall the time this took place. Please know that the situation was way out of our control. The local electricity company GEBE was load-shedding and at that time caused 2 of our freezers to burn out and we couldn't get the technician to come out at that time. This happened in the beginning of May. The situation was indeed out of our hands. I am only now seeing this review for whatever reason, was not notified. I feel terrible about this and YES, that day with all the catastrophe, the manager should have decided to not open instead of trying to half-please, anyone. I am hoping you understand our dilemma at the time and consider our situation. I would like to also ask you to please remove this very detrimental review from TripAdvisor. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to do this. Hopefully, you will give us another opportunity during your next visit and give us a fantastic review!

God Bless

Thank you for understanding.

Managing Director

Reviewed 16 May 2017 via mobile

Always follow your gut-instinct. When a restaurant is empty, has a dance floor and one employee.....run! In this case we didn't but should have. Ordered mussels and conch fritters. Mussels were literally inedible, chewy, fishy blobs with Parmesan cheese on them. Conch fritters were unrecognizable and something fried. Ordered our meals and overheard the waiter so they had no tartar sauce at a seafood restaurant!Waited 1 hour for our meals and left. Total waste of time.

DON'T GO HERE!!

Hello Ray S,

God Bless

Thank you for understanding.

Managing Director

Reviewed 12 May 2017 via mobile

Went to visit Pat at the roadhouse in front of the boathouse which now seems to be closed (or just empty now Pat has gone?). Real shame this nice little bar is so quiet now.
Went in to eat anyway. Really disappointing. Place was dead, maybe 2 other tables had customers
Food was rubbish. Seafood is obviously not fresh. Service not great. Weird smell about the place, made us feel a bit queasy.
Would not return.

Cleopatra D, Manager at The Boathouse Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2017

JoeyUSA, good evening. So sorry about your experience - No Pat's is no longer there and for very serious reasons (pending lawsuit in progress). Are you referring to the front bar?