We visited the Hermitage on our island tour and stayed for over an hour. The approach is winding and hilly, making the property somewhat private. The old plantation house is lovely and in wonderful condition, even containing period furnishings and china. The old cistern looks to be in good shape and all of the walkways and stone work are in good repair. Little cottages are situated around the property in a way that would allow you privacy. No air-conditioning or TV; as one reviewer said, this is the real Caribbean. There is only one place on the island that I know of where you can stay and actually access the beach without a car; I am not sure of the arrangements the Hermitage has, but they do have a nice little pool that is clean as a whistle. Probably my favorite part was the absolutely charming proprietress (she is actually their daughter-in-law) who operates the property. She was in the fashion industry in NYC prior to this assignment (can you imagine the difference in the two places?) and she has a lovely gift shop with island-made items which are actually affordable. I love gift shops and visited quite a few on the island and can say that hers is the best. It has art work, island garb, beautiful jewelry, and souvenirs, all tastefully merchandised in a tiny house with open windows and a breeze. I understand that the big draw is the roasted pig night, but since I don't indulge in pork, I had to decline. They have some sizeable lizards on the property, as well as wild monkeys and donkeys.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hermitage is a small plantation inn with an excellent reputation for its charm and warm, West Indian hospitality. The guest rooms are like gingerbread cottages and are styled after the old Planter’s house with a tradition of elegant West Indian style, antiques, mahogany four poster canopy beds, and private verandahs, with swaying hammocks, in an orchard like setting of mango trees and tropical plants. The Hermitage offers tranquility and serenity in its peaceful environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your The Hermitage Plantation Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Hermitage Plantation Hotel Nevis
- The Hermitage Plantation Inn Nevis/Charlestown